Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain and the Sea - BBC1 Sunday 9pm

Options
  • 12-11-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Britain and the Sea - A new 4 part series on BBC1 exploring maritime history, should be interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Hadn't heard anything about it but thanks for highlighting it. would be very invested in watching it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Britain and the Sea - A new 4 part series on BBC1 exploring maritime history, should be interesting.

Cheers!! Was at a loss for my sunday evenings after the finale of Love/Hate last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Reminder, this starts at 9 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Interesting.... after a fashion....

Had to laugh at the presenter getting very tetchy coming into Portsmouth tonight :D

I want to go and stay in that Spitbank Fort hotel!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I gave up after the first episode, a bit too much Rule Britannia flag waving. Some nice shots of his (?) boat at sea, but meh, look at us, weren't we great...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have watched the first two, its fine. I was impressed with the Bow Line he did in the first episode, with one hand tying the knot and the other hand on the tiller, while not looking. That was impressive. I also want to stay at the Spitbank Fort hotel. Maybe an idea for a B&B at the Cork version!:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I think it is very good, the stories are told well i think, The story of Francis Drake was very good i always assumed he was indeed a type of hero not a feckin pirate:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

bladebrew wrote: »
    I think it is very good, the stories are told well i think, The story of Francis Drake was very good i always assumed he was indeed a type of hero not a feckin pirate:eek:

And of course we have Drakes Pool named after him in Cork where famously he hid out one time (1587), some say fact others say myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

bladebrew wrote: »

Lots of famous explorers of the time would now be considered Pirates, but would then be known as "privateers" or "Corsairs". Indeed the founders of many of the US continent Naves would have been considered pirates by their foes.
    It's a very grey line. Basically who gets the booty is how you decide whether pirate or privateer.

Advertisement