Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Eircom connection.

• 12-11-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Recently my Eircom connection has become ridiculously slow. Since getting it, we've had consistently 12Mb/s speeds but over the last few days it has become terribly slow, particularly during the afternoon. This reminds me of earlier experiences with them where they upgraded one of their DNS exchange servers and the same thing happened. That lasted about a month and a half (I was in Mahon at the time) and I'm dreading another bout. I'm living on the Common's Road now, just a little north of Blackpool. Anyone else suffering the same issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Merelyme

Recently my Eircom connection has become ridiculously slow. Since getting it, we've had consistently 12Mb/s speeds but over the last few days it has become terribly slow, particularly during the afternoon. This reminds me of earlier experiences with them where they upgraded one of their DNS exchange servers and the same thing happened. That lasted about a month and a half (I was in Mahon at the time) and I'm dreading another bout. I'm living on the Common's Road now, just a little north of Blackpool. Anyone else suffering the same issue?

Check the quality of your telephony during your next phone ciall. Is the reception clear? Is there noise? Clicking sounds? Can you hear the person you're speaking with clearly and can they hear you clearly?

If the answer to any of those questions indicates an unclear reception you may have a slight line fault. Even a slight line fault can play havoc with Internet speeds. If the line reception is bad report it to line faults at 1901, not broadband technical support. If the linemen clear the noise and your internet speeds are still slow then you'll have to ring tech support also at 1901 or Lo-call 1890 260260.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

I am in Tramore, Co.Waterford, same issue, started about 5 nights ago now. I'm on Vodafone, my next door neighbour has the same problem.
    Multiple people have the same problem on different ISP's at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

call eircom tech support using your mobile phone (your landline needs to be free for the test to run).. ask them to run a line test to check your line for any earth or voltage faults.

sudden drops in speeds are often caused by the following: Start with steps 1 - 3 before calling tech support

1. faulty dsl filters - unplug all phones/skyboxes and plug modem directly into main socket. if the line speed is good then one or more dsl filters are faulty - call tech support for free replacements

2. phones/skyboxes not filtered - put filters on every phone or skybox before plugging them into a phone socket - eircom will send out filters for free if needed

3. cheap 30 foot phone cables - these are crap for adsl - replace with a shielded dsl rated phone cable or use a cat 5 cable with rj11 connectors instead as they will have better noise reduction

4. faulty monitored alarms - if its eircom phonewatch call tech support to get an engineer out to fix your alarm / if non eircom alarm contact your alarm vendor and ask them to put a filter on the line

5. high foreign ac or dc voltage on line - if your line test by eircom tech support shows high voltage on your line they will escalate it rapid response (next day) to an engineer to fix your line

6. earth/short on line - if the line test shows a major earth fault or short fault eircom will send out an engineer to repair your line 2-3 days typically

call eircom tech support using your mobile phone (your landline needs to be free for the test to run).. ask them to run a line test to check your line for any earth or voltage faults.

sudden drops in speeds are often caused by the following: Start with steps 1 - 3 before calling tech support

1. faulty dsl filters - unplug all phones/skyboxes and plug modem directly into main socket. if the line speed is good then one or more dsl filters are faulty - call tech support for free replacements

2. phones/skyboxes not filtered - put filters on every phone or skybox before plugging them into a phone socket - eircom will send out filters for free if needed

3. cheap 30 foot phone cables - these are crap for adsl - replace with a shielded dsl rated phone cable or use a cat 5 cable with rj11 connectors instead as they will have better noise reduction

4. faulty monitored alarms - if its eircom phonewatch call tech support to get an engineer out to fix your alarm / if non eircom alarm contact your alarm vendor and ask them to put a filter on the line

5. high foreign ac or dc voltage on line - if your line test by eircom tech support shows high voltage on your line they will escalate it rapid response (next day) to an engineer to fix your line

6. earth/short on line - if the line test shows a major earth fault or short fault eircom will send out an engineer to repair your line 2-3 days typically

Freddy, that's all sound advice but I strongly recommend that the first step he does is ring telephone faults because the tech support guys cannot read test results as good as telephone faults. Also, telephone repairs are much quicker getting to faults than tech support guys (same linemen but different internal process). Of course my advice is based on if his telephony reception is not 100%. It may be a faulty filter but he can test his line by connecting the phone directly into a socket (without the modem cable and filter), and making a call. In this case only, if the reception is bad he has a line fault (assuming it's not the phone itself) and the prompt repair of his telephony may well resolve his internet speed problems. If not, he's only used a couple of days, he now has 100% telephony and then has to ring tech support if the speeds are still slow.

Merelyme wrote: »
    Freddy, that's all sound advice but I strongly recommend that the first step he does is ring telephone faults because the tech support guys cannot read test results as good as telephone faults. Also, telephone repairs are much quicker getting to faults than tech support guys (same linemen but different internal process). Of course my advice is based on if his telephony reception is not 100%. It may be a faulty filter but he can test his line by connecting the phone directly into a socket (without the modem cable and filter), and making a call. In this case only, if the reception is bad he has a line fault (assuming it's not the phone itself) and the prompt repair of his telephony may well resolve his internet speed problems. If not, he's only used a couple of days, he now has 100% telephony and then has to ring tech support if the speeds are still slow.

telephone faults wont check dsl equipment at the exchange or cabinets. better off calling tech support because if you do need replacement filters or modem phone faults wont send them out. when escalating faults to engineers they have to submit line test results for the engineers so that works management can send out the right skilled engineer to check dsl equipment at the cabinets and exchanges as well as at the customer's home

also re-read his op and thread title "slow eircom connection" he is referring to slow dsl connection as well as noisy phone quality

also most tech support agents can read test results... they are trained on it.

• Advertisement

telephone faults wont check dsl equipment at the exchange or cabinets. better off calling tech support because if you do need replacement filters or modem phone faults wont send them out. when escalating faults to engineers they have to submit line test results for the engineers so that works management can send out the right skilled engineer to check dsl equipment at the cabinets and exchanges as well as at the customer's home

also re-read his op and thread title "slow eircom connection" he is referring to slow dsl connection as well as noisy phone quality

also most tech support agents can read test results... they are trained on it.

He doesn't refer to noisy phone quality at all in the OP. My point is that while it's probably not a telephony fault it's as well to start with telephone repairs and either rectify the line fault or have it verified that it's not a telephony fault. The simple reason for that is because telephone repairs are easier to deal with and please trust me when I say a one or two week crash course on line-testing is not enough to understand all the intricacies and vagaries of a line test - especially when the noisiest line in Ireland (even if the customer has just one phone and nothing else on the line) can often test 100% perfect on the line tests available to tech support and many but, crucially, not all the telephone repairs people. Enough said from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see Commons Road and Blackpool are in the Churchfield exchange area in Cork and it has Eircom Fibre available now. Have you checked your number to see if you can get it. If you can problem solved.

When the fibre upgrade work was being done in Dundalk my 8 Meg service with Eircom deteriorated. Not slowing down but constantly disconnecting. Eircom lowered the speed of my connection from 5 to 4 to make it stable. Maybe your issue is caused by fibre works, just a guess.

Merelyme wrote: »
    He doesn't refer to noisy phone quality at all in the OP. My point is that while it's probably not a telephony fault it's as well to start with telephone repairs and either rectify the line fault or have it verified that it's not a telephony fault. The simple reason for that is because telephone repairs are easier to deal with and please trust me when I say a one or two week crash course on line-testing is not enough to understand all the intricacies and vagaries of a line test - especially when the noisiest line in Ireland (even if the customer has just one phone and nothing else on the line) can often test 100% perfect on the line tests available to tech support and many but, crucially, not all the telephone repairs people. Enough said from me.

tech support have the same test programs telephone repairs have and some telephone repairs dont have.

also most of the "telephone repair guys" you say are nice are the same tech support guys you say are not so well trained. as you are aware by now eircom have announce 800+ layoffs... meanwhile the outsourced companies dealing with eircom tech/customer service support have been recruiting.

it is more or less all in the same call centres now.

Advertisement