Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to android studio

Options
  • 12-11-2013 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just wanna post that I like The look of android studio

Working with Android in eclipse really has been a nightmare from day one tbh. I must have experienced every known bug known to man, one of which actually cost me a job. The latest problem wiped out my project files. Luckily I could import my online repos into Android Studio. Eclipse severely hampered my productivity, often at key stages in my personal improvement efforts, hopefully things will be different with Android Studio.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

IS_a_Class wrote: »
    Just wanna post that I like Android Studio, and would recommend it over Eclipse.

Working with Android in eclipse really has been a nightmare from day one tbh. I must have experienced every known bug known to man, one of which actually cost me a job. The latest problem wiped out my project files. Luckily I could import my online repos into Android Studio. Eclipse severely hampered my productivity, often at key stages in my personal improvement efforts, hopefully things will be different with Android Studio.

I'd advise against going to Android Studio just yet, its still far too early in development.

Much better idea to use IntelliJ, which Studio is based on, you still get all the advantages over Eclipse but without the instability/incompleteness of Android Studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I agree with Chrome, tried to move to Studio twice and it was a pain both times.

I'll wait until the version reaches 1.x.y before I'll try it again. i see it's currently at 0.3.1. It might be a long wait! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭IS_a_Class

aye yea, after trying to work with it, i have to agree. importing projects was handy enough, but creating a new one from scratch is real buggy, shame.

will look into using intellij, though i got my eclipse back working properly, at least until the next inevitable meltdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Last time it annoyed me because it was a hassle to try and get google maps working. I like the multiple device layout previews though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Stiochkov

Just wrapping up a big project and used Android Studio from the start. It was a little flaky to begin with, but all in all, everything went smoothly and I can safely say that I will never use Eclipse again.

What's good about the Studio?
    • Refactoring is a breeze, with all references being updated and warnings when a refactor may produce undesirable results.
    • After using Sublime Text for JS/Ruby, I cannot go back to an editor with a with a white background. The dark background in the Studio suits me well.
    • Seamless integration with ADB and DDMS.
    • Being developed by Google, it will surely be the standard in the coming years.
    I know that all of the above can be done using Eclipse, but after working with the Studio for four months now, it just has a nicer look and feel.

• Advertisement

Stiochkov wrote: »
    Just wrapping up a big project and used Android Studio from the start. It was a little flaky to begin with, but all in all, everything went smoothly and I can safely say that I will never use Eclipse again.

What's good about the Studio?
    • Refactoring is a breeze, with all references being updated and warnings when a refactor may produce undesirable results.
    • After using Sublime Text for JS/Ruby, I cannot go back to an editor with a with a white background. The dark background in the Studio suits me well.
    • Seamless integration with ADB and DDMS.
    • Being developed by Google, it will surely be the standard in the coming years.
    I know that all of the above can be done using Eclipse, but after working with the Studio for four months now, it just has a nicer look and feel.

Most of those things are actually IntelliJ features rather than Studio. Google are just writing a plugin, not the actual IDE.

Oh and not that it matters to much, but you can give Eclipse a dark background.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭shanard

Hi Chrome

How do u change background colour in eclipse

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭shanard

Cheers

Advertisement