Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Control Speed of AC Motor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

Thanks, what do you mean by pwm.

I wonder would local electrical suppliers stock something like that ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

marathont wrote: »
    Thanks, what do you mean by pwm.

Pulse Width Modulation.
    PWM is used in variable speed drives (VSDs) in industrial installation so that the speed of a motor can be controlled by varying the frequency.

This unit may not be suitable for your application.

By studying the datasheet for both the motor and the controller it would be possible to see if they are suitably matched.

You could use a variac if it's non-electronic, but you'd have to be careful and set a minimum level on the variac when there's no wind. If you stall the motor while still running current through it you'll burn the motor coils. Fairly in-efficient way of doing things though. It'd be a good idea to check the spec of the motor for the voltage tolerance thresholds first too.

How does the motor prevent the wind running it as an un-kosher generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

You could use a variac if it's non-electronic, but you'd have to be careful and set a minimum level on the variac when there's no wind. If you stall the motor while still running current through it you'll burn the motor coils. Fairly in-efficient way of doing things though. It'd be a good idea to check the spec of the motor for the voltage tolerance thresholds first too.

How does the motor prevent the wind running it as an un-kosher generator?

I dont know. I havent got access to specs for it. Is there a safe way to do this, without knowing much about the motor?

I saw the same unit on a website before (cant find it anymore), but it came with a controller.

• Advertisement

I'd look for an online spec.
    I'd be suspicious it's actually a DC motor stepped down, with diodes.
    You could also see if it's written on the motor.

How many wires had the controller? Any pics?

You need to know a lot of things before you can do this.
    Rated power + voltage thresholds.
    Motor type and coil design.
    Electronic or not....which kind of electronic.

Advertisement