Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walled City Marathon - Derry

Options
  • 12-11-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Registration has opened up for the Walled City Marathon in Derry on June 1st 2014.

http://thewalledcitymarathon.com

After finishing my first marathon, Dublin City Marathon, I signed up for the race in my old home town. They say the number of participants is limited to 1500 or so and that 900 have gone already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    Registration has opened up for the Walled City Marathon in Derry on June 1st 2014.

http://thewalledcitymarathon.com

After finishing my first marathon, Dublin City Marathon, I signed up for the race in my old home town. They say the number of participants is limited to 1500 or so and that 900 have gone already.
    Well done , I'm in anyway, disappointed I missed it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

I have entered anyway, doing Manchester in April but will hopefully b recovered for Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gaz200

I have entered anyway, doing Manchester in April but will hopefully b recovered for Derry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Less than two weeks away now, many others doing it?

I'm targeting 3:45, did 3:53 in DCM as my first marathon last year. Any progress would be nice really, have Berlin later in the year when I really want to hit a good time (close to 3:30 if I can).

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

I'm cautiously optimistic.
    After sporadic injuries over the last year, I've finally managed to string together a few months of good training. ITBS nearly cause me to abandon training but orthotic insoles solved that problem.

The running calculators are predicting around 3:30 based on recent races (44:30 for 10k) but I'd be happy with 3:45.

I just hope it's not too hot on the day.

• Advertisement

Today's been nice, but been fairly overcast the last while. Wouldn't be overly worried that it'll be a scorching day, though you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭curtisbrown

Ran it last year and had a great day, really good atmosphere and weather that day. Signed up for this year again but I've been injured the last month so not sure how it'll go this time around but looking forward to it all the same.... registration letter arrived today

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lougholad

its going to take me atleast 7 hrs i hope theres no cut off point for ill prepared :(

Course was much tougher than I thought, were at least 3 horrible hills. Ended up on 3:48, but paced myself horribly. Did the first half in 1:44, just too quick for me at the moment over 26 miles.

i fractured my ankle on mile 2. :( but i hobbled along and got there in the end. I was last :( but there was no way i was giving up as its the only marathon i am doing this year :) cast and crutch's for me but it was well worth it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Wow, that sounds like it could have been worse than my race. I had an absolute shocker.
    First, my Garmin wouldn't sync at the start so I probably went out too fast.
    Next, I did something to my left hip, possibly landing badly during the steep downhill just before the riverside pathway after the first big hill.
    Then I started to get cramps in my calves at Ebrington (where the pipe band were playing). The cramps got worse and worse until I had to stop and walk, then stop to stretch, then I was that guy on my back with first aiders pushing at my feet.
    I was probably dehydration and/or hyponatraemia because when I eventually ate a couple of salt sachets a first aider gave me, it began to clear up.
    I walked/limped (the hip pain was still there) to the finish. I was actually fresh enough when I reached the city centre and managed to run up Fahan St for the experience.
    I just about got it done under five hours. At 22 miles, I was giving up running for good. At 26.2, I had unfinished business.

brillaint story :) we'll dont for sticvking it out. and as for the medal wow :O it is incredible and makes it all worth while. a million times better than the dcm medal :O

Advertisement