Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs on the Ferry

• 12-11-2013 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello there,

I have 2 small dogs who I am looking to take to the UK with me on the ferry over X-mas. I was looking on the irishferries and the stenaline websites but got a tad confused about what your dogs need to have when travelling between ROI and UK.

Has anyone done this before?
    Do you need to prove what you have for your dog? passport, microchip etc?

Any help or personal experience would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I haven't been on the ferry since the rules were enforced but I've been speaking to both DEFRA in the UK and the DAFM here because I'm secretary for the Irish junior agility team and this is the story

All dogs need to have a pet passport and they need a microchip to get a passport. You will need to get a rabies vaccine done a minimum of 21 days before travelling and the vaccine stamped into the passport. You don't need to get the tapeworm treatment going into the UK or returning from the UK into Ireland.

You book your ferry as normal and travel as normal, to date there isn't an official checkpoint to check pet passports, it's being done on a spot check basis, but if you can't produce a passport and valid rabies vaccine you risk having your dog confiscated and put into quarantine and you being charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Don't know about the passport issue but Irish Ferries (Ulysses) has kennels 10 times better than Stena

Advertisement