Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent prices

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

renting is just putting your money into someone else's pocket. i just rented a room in a shared house after uni until i had enough saved for a good deposit on my first flat.

when i bought my house i rented my flat out to pay that mortgage off that and got a new mortgage the house.

I understand what your saying here but this extreme aversion to renting was a major contributing factor to the property bubble that was created in the first place. Renting is a valuable service that gives people the flexibility to move on short notice and keep their options open. So many got caught in the frantic scramble afew years ago to stopping renting as “dead money” and get on the property ladder. Many of those don’t have mortgages that are now covered by rents and have to make significant contributions on top of rents to even make monthly payments.

Renting by no means a long term solution but i have no complaints with landlords charging market value as they are taking the risk and providing a service. Easier for me to say that renting in south of country where rents far more reasonable than dublin i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

ChRoMe wrote: »
    No reason to think you will understand it the second time, if your reading basic reading compression failed you the first. Other posters haven't had difficulty.

I'm struggling to understand the link between LLs charging market rent and asking for debt forgiveness. You have linked them in the same sentence a number of times.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

renting is just putting your money into someone else's pocket.

How dare you buy food in a shop- thats just putting money in someone else's pocket.......

Renting is the same as paying for any other service- its a business transaction pure and simple. If you can't accept that renting is a service being provided by a landlord to a tenant- well, paying for any other good or service falls into exactly the same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

I'm struggling to understand the link between LLs charging market rent and asking for debt forgiveness. You have linked them in the same sentence a number of times.

No I haven't, I've made the claim that its hypocritical to do both, not that they are inextricably linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

How dare you buy food in a shop- thats just putting money in someone else's pocket.......

Renting is the same as paying for any other service- its a business transaction pure and simple. If you can't accept that renting is a service being provided by a landlord to a tenant- well, paying for any other good or service falls into exactly the same scenario.

A mortgage is just renting money from the bank

right now it is far cheaper to rent money from the bank, but what happens if interest rates change in 5-6 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Can you provide specific evidence that they are not?

Who said anything about the media, this started from a post here. Which seemed a perfectly reasonable logical deduction.

There are people looking for debt forgiveness, there are people renting their negative equity homes are market rates, its completely reasonable to assume that there is an intersection here, no matter what size

Only have to go as far as the Daily Mail and their anti immigrant stance. They market themselves at the pensionable demographic and also females. The funny thing is, with birth rates flat or decreasing in the Western world, the Western world needs immigrants to come in to take up jobs, to pay income tax so that the country can support the pension liabilities. They're talking absolute cobblers.

One poster up from me mentioned the media. I responded to his post about that.

There might be but i assume that the banks will be less forgiving on somebody who has a private residence and a btl so that number of people in that pool will be of a negligible amount when compared relatively to the number of people asking for debt forgiveness on their one and only house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Lets recap, shall we.
    What landlords exactly?
    Basically anybody in negative equity that is currently renting their property are market rates.
    Zulu wrote: »
    Sigh. :rolleyes: I'm a LL in negative equity. Explain how my behavior demonstrates it. Go on.
    <You're talking out of your arse>
    ChRoMe wrote:
    Being in negative equity doesn't immediately qualify you for the situation that is being described. Looking for debt forgiveness and renting at market rates does.

Please try to keep up.

Keep up indeed. :rolleyes:

(Incoherent off topic immigration stuff removed)

There might be but i assume that the banks will be less forgiving on somebody who has a private residence and a btl so that number of people in that pool will be of a negligible amount when compared relatively to the number of people asking for debt forgiveness on their one and only house.

Nice to see the basic deduction is sinking in.

You seem to completely ignore people who have left their residence to rent cheaper and then rent the property in an effort to cover the mortgage. Not to mention other possible scenarios.

lima wrote: »

"Nurses, Guards, Doctors, Solicitors all invested in property for their pension"

These people are idiots for the opinions expressed. At least 75% of that group are state employees. Why would they need to worry about a pension?

I dont entertain that talk of idiots when trying to reach a logical conclusion to an argument.

Please note, i am not referring to you as an idiot

Zulu wrote: »
    Lets recap, shall we.

Keep up indeed. :rolleyes:

Yeah it should have read people looking for debt forgiveness, typos happen, I'm human. Needless to say, my subsequent posts clarified. But please don't let that stop you attempting to score a cheap point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You seem to completely ignore people who have left their residence to rent cheaper and then rent the property in an effort to cover the mortgage. Not to mention other possible scenarios.

The highest price anyone can get for their rental property is determined by the market. That is economics. Sometimes people move for job/family reasons. If they can't sell for whatever reason are they supposed to leave the property vacant rather than rent it for what the market determines is a fair price?

I rent rooms in my house and makes no bones that I charge the market rate for my area. Why would I or anyone else for that reason charge below the market rate? Makes no sense at all.

The highest price anyone can get for their rental property is determined by the market. That is economics. Sometimes people move for job/family reasons. If they can't sell for whatever reason are they supposed to leave the property vacant rather than rent it for what the market determines is a fair price?

I rent rooms in my house and makes no bones that I charge the market rate for my area. Why would I or anyone else for that reason charge below the market rate? Makes no sense at all.

WTF? I'm not talking about renting at the market level in isolation, its in conjunction with wanting debt forgiveness.

The removal was related to your question on the media. Go no further than the Independent and Sunday Independent to see the ****e they trot out on property.

Nice to see you never answered my specific earlier questions just turned the question on me and i never initially raised the point. Was that three times or twice i asked you for more specifics but you never answered and youve since revealed it was an "assumption"? You can assume a lot of things. Fact is not so broad.

Who are these people who in the scenario you suggest? Where are the numbers? Is it anecdotal evidence or just another assumption? Surely with increasing rents these, whatever number of people they are, will be squeezed?

WTF? I'm not talking about renting at the market level in isolation, its in conjunction with wanting debt forgiveness.

I'm in negative equity but I'm not looking for debt forgiveness. Where is your argument now? You make huge assumptions by linking different things you have in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

But you said it here...http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87481829&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

The people who have done that are so small as to make it a complete irrelevance. There are numerous threads with people asking whether it makes sense. And it is clear that once you have paid tax on your rental income etc it is highly unlikely that that scenario actually leaves you better off.

Like many others, I let out my own property and rent another, but that is because I have moved job and location.

Should I then not be allowed to charge market rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Yeah it should have read people looking for debt forgiveness, typos happen, I'm human.
    Typos are one thing, changing your story is another.

Here's an exaple of a typo.
    See, the salient point doesn't change.

I'm in negative equity but I'm not looking for debt forgiveness. Where is your argument now? You make huge assumptions by linking different things you have in your head.

There isint one, as I've previously said, because you are not looking for debt forgiveness.

Scortho wrote: »

What? Thats a broad comment on the inequality and unfairness that free market liberalism creates.

Err.. hence the use of the word assume.

Well done.

This post sums the themes of all your posts nicely i.e. you have no concept of the numbers of people who are involved in the scenario you describe and you are deducing that because you assume that some people are doing it and that this assumed number is large enough to be of statistical importance or significance.

• Advertisement

This post sums the themes of all your posts nicely i.e. you have no concept of the numbers of people who are involved in the scenario you describe and you are deducing that because you assume that some people are doing it and that this assumed number is large enough to be of statistical importance or significance.

Not really because I posted this previously

"its completely reasonable to assume that there is an intersection here, no matter what size"

I specifically haven't commented on the scale of the intersection.

There isint one, as I've previously said, because you are not looking for debt forgiveness.

But your whole argument is that rent and debt forgiveness are linked or are you going to change your tune again? Getting funny now how the argument you are making keeps changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Why does Chrome keep replying to itself on here and not letting anyone else speak? Just an observation. Not trying to start an argument or anything (lord knows, there seems to be one in session already).

But your whole argument is that rent and debt forgiveness are linked or are you going to change your tune again? Getting funny now how the argument you are making keeps changing.

You must have missed this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87483936&postcount=65

Why does Chrome keep replying to itself on here and not letting anyone else speak? Just an observation. Not trying to start an argument or anything (lord knows, there seems to be one in session already).

I'm quoting the posts I'm responding to.

How am I disallowing other people to post?

Not really because I posted this previously

"its completely reasonable to assume that there is an intersection here, no matter what size"

I specifically haven't commented on the scale of the intersection.

Isnt that what i have just posted looks to address?

Its an assumption you have made, you have no idea of the numbers involved and that they are of any statistical importance when looking at a large population of data?

This was exactly the reasons for my first posts to you. To find out where you sourced the information for your opinion of landlords who are btl and looked for debt forgiveness

Isnt that what i have just posted looks to address?

Its an assumption you have made, you have no idea of the numbers involved and that they are of any statistical importance when looking at a large population of data?

This was exactly the reasons for my first posts to you. To find out where you sourced the information for your opinion of landlords who are btl and looked for debt forgiveness

And you have made your assumptions, so what?

And you have made your assumptions, so what?

I havent made any assumptions on it - you have. Thats what you posted and have tried to stick to it. I have continually asked you for the evidence to back up the claim. I dont know how asking for evidence is an "assumption".

Round and round we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm quoting the posts I'm responding to.

How am I disallowing other people to post?

The fact that you are posting back to back is making it quite unpleasant to read here.

Advertisement