Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to Consider

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

There is no load mentioned in the drawing maybe it is a 10.8KW shower, all it says is ( instantaneous shower) :)

For all we know the the DB could be wired with wet string. The diagram wouldn't show that either!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

For all we know the the DB could be wired with wet string. The diagram wouldn't show that either!
    Ah hear time to call it a night with that very educated post. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

To answer the question if one installed a 10.8KW shower and supplied it with a 6sq cable as in the drawing its load potentially could be 45 amps, a 32 amp rcbo wont trip out at 32, it will hold and i have seen it holding before up to 40 briefly, that cable will heat and break down over time more than likely at distribution board or at isolation switch which is a hazard.
    Hazards can be dangerous. :mad:
    You are correct, the RCBO would not trip immediately. This however is not a problem. If it was the cable would not be adequately protected as you agreed it is.

Are you now deciding that the cable is not adequately protected by suggesting that a 6 sq. T &E cable will "break down" if 40 amps were to flow though it? Is that what you think is "dangerous"?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

2011 wrote: »
    You are correct, the RCBO would not trip immediately.

Are you suggesting that a 6 sq. T &E cable will "break down" if 40 amps were to flow though it? Is that what you think is "dangerous"?
    On say a long run with one bad connection would do, i have seen it and in fairness the risk of fire is low but its still there, to answer your question yes in my opinion i would think it has potential for danger. im not trying to say i know everything and trying to out smart everyone i started this thread just to make people aware of advice they see or hear. Lock down this thread if you think necessary.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

On say a long run with one bad connection would do, i have seen it and in fairness the risk of fire is low but its still there, to answer your question yes in my opinion i would think it has potential for danger.
    Bad connections with high currents can theoretically overheat and potentially cause a fire regardless of the cable or protective device. To be fair there is nothing on the drawing to suggest bad connections.
    im not trying to say i know everything and trying to out smart everyone i started this thread just to make people aware of advice they see or hear.
    ...and in my 1st reply to you I said in point #1:

"1) People need to realise that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! Reading a few posts on the internet should not be deemed as sufficient training for anyone to start working on a 230V distribution board Our advice has always been, if in doubt employ the services of a registered electrical contractor. "

Lock down this thread if you think necessary.
    Another satisfied customer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Cycling dumbass,

Thank you for your contribution. If you see something wrong with a post please chip in and
    comment about it on that thread. That way the users can see the comment and take it into consideration. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement