Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

noise from plug when put in heater

Options
  • 12-11-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Kids had their tvs on, and wife had a few other things plugged in. I then put on a 2kw oil heater and a noise started coming from the socket. Just wondering is this normal because if it is, ive never heard it ever before. Anyone know why its doing this

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

newbie2013 wrote: »
    Kids had their tvs on, and wife had a few other things plugged in. I then put on a 2kw oil heater and a noise started coming from the socket. Just wondering is this normal because if it is, ive never heard it ever before. Anyone know why its doing this

Crackling noise?
    If so possibly a combination of a high current and a bad connection within the socket. Potential fire risk, unplug immediately. This plug and/or socket needs attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭newbie2013

2011 wrote: »
    Crackling noise?
    If so possibly a combination of a high current and a bad connection within the socket. Potential fire risk, unplug immediately. This plug and/or socket needs attention.

No so much a cracking noise but its hard to explain. A friend has just explained to me that this happens to him when he puts his wireless router into his socket in the house then goes away. I was thinking maybe its just to much power going through the socket. Its a 2.5kw heater instead of a 2kw, that and with teh tvs,xboxs and hair driers etc.. i think it maxed out the usage on the plug and this is why im getting this noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Are you plugging the heater directly into a wall socket or are you using an extension lead? It's recommended that you don't use a lead for plug in oil filled radiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

newbie2013 wrote: »
    No so much a cracking noise but its hard to explain. A friend has just explained to me that this happens to him when he puts his wireless router into his socket in the house then goes away. I was thinking maybe its just to much power going through the socket. Its a 2.5kw heater instead of a 2kw, that and with teh tvs,xboxs and hair driers etc.. i think it maxed out the usage on the plug and this is why im getting this noise.

I think you should be more cognisant of the advice given by 2011. If you plug a device into a socket and you hear noise from the socket then you would be foolish to ignore it. There is no comparison between the current drawn by a wireless router and a 2 kw heater. You obviously have a poor connection in the socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Danny Mulcahy

Socket most definitely needs to checked ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Are you plugging the heater directly into a wall socket or are you using an extension lead? It's recommended that you don't use a lead for plug in oil filled radiators.

Definitely not a coiled up one anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

OP, do not use that socket again until it has been checked out. It doesn't need to be a crackling noise for it to be a bad connection. It could be a hissing noise, which just means it's a very VERY quick crackle! A bad connection means there is a spark arcing between bad connections in the socket. A sparking arc means heat, which can melt/burn things inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Hiss, Crackle and Pop !

Advertisement