Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install of new line for efibre, have I been misinformed ?

Options
  • 12-11-2013 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

So I've been waiting for efibre to come to Roscrea which was due in November 2013 but now it's been moved back to some point between Jan to Apr 2014 with no further information or even whether it is likely to be Jan or Apr. 

Anyhow,
    In our house at home we have one of the old Telecom Eireann phone points in the kitchen which is the main NTU. I am aware this will need to be changed but on speaking to someone who works within eircom I was told that KN have to run a new RJ45 cable into the house and along the skirting, in this case it's a tiled wall. Surely this is incorrect and it's only the faceplate that needs changing?
    Also in my own place(a new build 3 years old ) we only got landline connected last year by Vodafone for the first time. Eircom called out to complete the work as there was never a landline in the house before and fitted a new NTU in the hall(pic attached of one that is similar to one installed ) which is eircom branded with two points on it, one with a logo for a phone and one for broadband (pic of a computer) will this need to be changed again though the socket was only fitted in March?
    Finally, I am aware that when we move back to eircom from Vodafone for efibre they will provide a new modem , is this the only modem that will work? I bought a Belkin N600 as I found it was better and more reliable than the zylatel or whatever it's called that eircom provide at present, will this modem be obsolete ? 
    Thanks 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Ah-Watch wrote: »
    So I've been waiting for efibre to come to Roscrea which was due in November 2013 but now it's been moved back to some point between Jan to Apr 2014 with no further information or even whether it is likely to be Jan or Apr. 

Anyhow,
    In our house at home we have one of the old Telecom Eireann phone points in the kitchen which is the main NTU. I am aware this will need to be changed but on speaking to someone who works within eircom I was told that KN have to run a new RJ45 cable into the house and along the skirting, in this case it's a tiled wall. Surely this is incorrect and it's only the faceplate that needs changing?
    Also in my own place(a new build 3 years old ) we only got landline connected last year by Vodafone for the first time. Eircom called out to complete the work as there was never a landline in the house before and fitted a new NTU in the hall(pic attached of one that is similar to one installed ) which is eircom branded with two points on it, one with a logo for a phone and one for broadband (pic of a computer) will this need to be changed again though the socket was only fitted in March?
    Finally, I am aware that when we move back to eircom from Vodafone for efibre they will provide a new modem , is this the only modem that will work? I bought a Belkin N600 as I found it was better and more reliable than the zylatel or whatever it's called that eircom provide at present, will this modem be obsolete ? 
    Thanks 

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Ah-Watch

While I can confirm that efibre is planned to launch in Roscrea between January to April 2014 operations have informed me that they do not have a better indication of a launch date at present.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]In relation to your first query about the main NTU in your kitchen I can confirm that a RJ45 cable is required to reach it however I've heard that they do a tidy job in doing so.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Your faceplate in your new house would not need to be changed however work is indeed don to it internally but the external presence and functionality would not change.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]The modem you have should work (although I cannot guarantee this as it's a third party modem) and you are welcome to install any modem you wish however the installation engineer will only install the new modem model eircom is now issuing for efibre customers (Zyxel F1000).[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]The following link offers more information on efibre installation: http://bit.ly/17RRzy2[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

Advertisement