Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions regarding council house

Options
  • 13-11-2013 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Last Friday I got a registered letter from County Council with an offer of a 2 bed council house in my area. I will get the keys on Nov 26.
    They said I need to have a content insurance policy. Does all council tenants has it? How much could it cost me and where would be the best place to get one?

Maybe someone knows - would council ever force relocate me (this was mentioned in the contract that I could be relocated) or I can peacefully save money and improve my home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

OP I have edited your post so that your questions are at the forefront, not the story of how you got a house from the council. This is a discussion site, not a blog.

I've also deleted the other off topic posts, I would remind all users to remain on topic.

Morri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I pay contents insurance of around €140 per year for a value up to €30k, including a couple of items of specified value.

About 120 to 160 a year depending where you are, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Morena25 wrote: »
    Last Friday I got a registered letter from County Council with an offer of a 2 bed council house in my area. I will get the keys on Nov 26.
    They said I need to have a content insurance policy. Does all council tenants has it? How much could it cost me and where would be the best place to get one?

Maybe someone knows - would council ever force relocate me (this was mentioned in the contract that I could be relocated) or I can peacefully save money and improve my home?

Congratulations on getting word of your new home.

I doubt they can force you to get contents insurance but it would be recommended as where else would you get the money to replace everything you own after a house fire or flood or some other such disaster?

Drop into your local insurance broker and have a chat about the best option for you and they will dig out the cheapest and best quote, or just give one of the bigger companies a ring as they all do tenant insurance.

As for forced relocation I would think this would only be an option if there was anti social behaviour or if the house was unsuitable for your needs(like a single person in a three bedroom house).

Advertisement