Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anybody out there tried the NUPO diet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Just out of interest could you post the ingredients of these shakes you have for breakfast and lunch? Also what is the calorie content of each one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

flikflak wrote: »
    Just out of interest could you post the ingredients of these shakes you have for breakfast and lunch? Also what is the calorie content of each one?

118 calories

http://www.nupo.ie/products/diet/diet-shake/diet-shake-strawberry/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

signmeup wrote: »
    I am very happy. I dont obsess over food. I used to. But I dont anymore. I do eat what I want, but not all the time because thats how I got fat.
    You have found a way to avoid food so that it doesn't control you or make you eat lots of it. By that very fact it is controlling you.
    I have found a way I dont have to deprive myself the luxury of living well and enjoying myself, because I am watching my weight creeping up.
    The last person I heard say that was bulimic. I'm not in the least suggesting that you're remotely like that but there's a food issue there for you.

You can't eat a normal balanced diet because you can't control how you eat when you do and then you get anxious because you put on weight.

No one is trying to be negative, or at least I'm not, but I just think there's an underlying issue there that you would be well served to have addressed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

3. I actually had lots of problems all my life with hormones. Pcos and thyroid issues. Since I've started with the intermittent fasting and limiting my calorie intake, and also loosing the weight, my hormone problems have regulated themselves. I get regular blood tests so and this is backed up by medical evidence, as opposed to anecdotal.

Weight loss will definitely help things like PCOS for sure, I'm talking about longer term, as in over a year, I felt AMAZING when fasting until I didn't. Although I cited my example as an anecdote, there are studies on fasting that show this stress hormone response, can post them if you like. I makes no odds to me what you do, I'm just saying if you run into problems please don't double down and restrict more because that will exacerbate rather than alleviate the situation.

Just a bit of friendly advice!

Ok so basically a milkshake with close to no natural nutrients. 118+118=236 calories until dinner time. I presume your dinner must be around 1200 calories in order to give your body the basic amounts of fuel to carry out its normal day to day activities?

Surely it’s better to get vitamins, minerals and nutritional needs from real food rather than a ready made powder? From reading your posts it would seem you have no interest in learning about real food and what the body needs to perform on a daily basis and are happy to let an organisation decide what you put into your body each day.

You say you used to have breakfast at 8am then be hungry again at 10am but then in another post you say that being on this diet you learned to accept hunger. Why couldn’t you do that when you were eating real food? Also what were you having for breakfast?

Also why do you think lunch has to be `a sambo or a big burger`? Is that your idea of what lunch should be? If so then another indicator that you have very little food knowledge?

Sadly, as others have pointed out, this is the way most people will go nowadays as they take no responsibility for their own health and would rather some faceless organisation tell them what to eat. The only thing these organisations care about is making money they dont care about your health long term. You don`t seem to be that worried either?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 signmeup

I take offence to all of your negative comments towards me. I am an intelligent, educated woman. I am not ignorant to nutrition, and I'm as capable as the next person of reading literature , and reports. You say I don't take responsibility for my health, because I dont do what you think is correct. I say this is how I take responsibility for my health. But, really I should not have to explain myself you you people.

I was directly responding to the OPs question
    just wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried this and has any advice to give. or just let me know how you got on and did you get results?

I tried to bring this conversation back to the OP, but you people continue to try to shove your own ideas, and beliefs down peoples necks. I never disagreed with any of your theories or opinions, I only offered mine.

The OP asked for direct experience with something. NOt one person who has knocked it here has direct experience with it. I have experience taking the product, and wrote about that, while emphasising that it was ONLY MY experience, and MY results.
    Bottom line OP is I found / find it good, and helpful for weight loss.

The rest of you can crawl back into the woodwork, and keep trying to convince yourselves that yours is the only right opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I saw a badger earlier.

I take offence to all of your negative comments towards me. I am an intelligent, educated woman. I am not ignorant to nutrition, and I'm as capable as the next person of reading literature , and reports. You say I don't take responsibility for my health, because I dont do what you think is correct. I say this is how I take responsibility for my health. But, really I should not have to explain myself you you people.

I tried to bring this conversation back to the OP, but you people continue to try to shove your own ideas, and beliefs down peoples necks. I never disagreed with any of your theories or opinions, I only offered mine.

The OP asked for direct experience with something. NOt one person who has knocked it here has direct experience with it. I have experience taking the product, and wrote about that, while emphasising that it was ONLY MY experience, and MY results.

The rest of you can crawl back into the woodwork, and keep trying to convince yourselves that yours is the only right opinion.

You can be as offended as you want, it doesn't entitle you to anything :pac:

This is a discussion forum, i will discuss your post if i choose.

I take offence to all of your negative comments towards me. I am an intelligent, educated woman. I am not ignorant to nutrition, and I'm as capable as the next person of reading literature , and reports. But I really should not have to explain myself you you people.

The rest of you can crawl back into the woodwork.

Sorry if it seems like people are targeting you but you were saying that this awful unhealthy diet was great, that is directly against the charter of this forum:
    There will be zero-tolerance of any pro-ana topics, discussions of pharmaceutical weight-loss aids or crash dieting

A crash diet is exactly what this is, and because a lot of vulnerable readers browse this forum looking for weight loss tips, we have a duty to this community to counter your promotion of an what amounts to a very unhealthy lifestyle.

You can do what you want, you just can't promote unhealthy practices on a public forum and not expect to be refuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 signmeup

Definition of crash diet
    noun
    a weight-loss diet undertaken on an urgent, short-term basis with the aim of achieving very rapid results.

Once again, it is your definition of what is healthy, and what is a crash diet.
    My diet is a sustainable (for me) , and as stated I've lived like this for nearly 3 years (but maybe you consider 3 years short term too?)

I am only putting another point of view across. I visit the doctor every 6 months and have blood tests, and a full check up. I was there just last weeks, and my doctor said I was in 100% healthy, better than I have been at any point in the past. I believe ( and have read much published research on the matter) that keeping a low body weight in one of the most important factors to long term health. There are MANY different theories as to what is healthy , and what is not. And lots of published material to defend different opinions. It is not an exact science.

I have never, and would never promote what I consider to be an unhealthy lifestyle. My point is that just because my opinion and experience does not conform to your idea of what everyone should be doing , it does not make my opinion wrong. Its an alternative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

OK Back on topic.

I have tried Nupo, and other 'fad' diets like 16/8 ect. And I find they worked FOR ME.

I like the nupo shakes. I use them

Background - 3 years ago, I was overweight (pushing on 11 stone). This was from over eating and portion size. I find it very difficult to stop eating when I am full and I needed to retrain myself.
    So I did a 'crash diet' which included fasting for between 16 and 20 hours a day, and ate my dinner in the evening, eating enough until I felt full which meant I didn't go to bed hungry, or wake up starving. I also found it easier to eat nothing, then eating in moderation. Again, this is what worked for me, after years of trying to track calories, and living in a constant state of hunger and feeling deprived because I was only allowed a little bit. Fasting worked for me. I like my food a little too much, and it was a case for me of once I started eating in the morning, I wasn't able to stop.

I uses to take a protein shake around 3pm (first 'meal' of the day) it would fill me up and keep me from getting dizzy, but they also make me very constipated (sorry tmi)
    Then I discovered Nupo - I now have one of those shakes. They are delicious and fill me up, while keeping daily calories low, and not making me crave more food.
    I have kept this routine up, and I've been a constant 9 stone for over 2 years. (it took me about 3 mts to loose the 2 stone) I sometimes do the strict Nupo only diet if I want to loose a couple of pounds that I gained (eg after 2 weeks holidays eating out all the time), but mostly I have 2 shakes during the day , and my main dinner at night. This calorie deficit then lets me to have treats when visitors are over or if I just feel like it. I also go out for dinner with hubby most weekends.
    I'm sure most people would think i'm nuts, My hubby still tells me every morning that I should have breakfast. But it is what has worked for me, and I have kept weight off, and more importantly I feel in control of my weight. I never felt in control before. Learning 'not to eat' was the best diet tip ever for me. Every diet tells you want you can eat - only protein, limit carbs , ww points etc.
    I lost weight by NOT EATING, and learning that hunger is not a bad thing.
    Sounds simple, but its true.

I think a 'kickstart' is not a bad thing, somepeopple like me need it. I liked how everyone commented how well I looked initially and it really gave me the motivation continue. I didnt realise how bad I had got.

I'm planning on doing the strict NUPO shake diet in the run up to xmas during the week, which will allow me to go out at the weekends and wine and dine myself without piling on the pounds. My friend did it for her wedding and lost about 8 lbs which she was delighted with for her big day.

I think everyone has to find out what works for them. Personally I dont want to go to the gym (but I do run a couple of times a week for health reasons) and I dont want to 'eat clean'. I want to enjoy life the way I want to live it, and this works for me!

Hi , Thanks for your reply, i can actually relate to you when you said you found it difficult to stop eating when you are full and that you also found it easier to eat nothing, then eating in moderation this is why i suppose i enjoyed nupo because i was not over eating and i knew that if i stick to the shakes i will loose weight.

can i just ask you rather than doing the 6 nupo shakes per day, you have 1 shake for breakfast 1 shake for lunch and then you have dinner is this correct?

also i know this is a discussion forum but i wouldn't bother explaining myself to anyone on here that has only negative comments to make about nupo etc as they will always have something to say about the matter. but i really appreciate your comment as this was the very reason i started the thread to talk to people who have used nupo.

so thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

"There are MANY different theories as to what is healthy , and what is not. And lots of published material to defend different opinions. It is not an exact science."

http://nusi.org/

Interesting site if you want to read more about nutrition

My diet is a sustainable (for me) , and as stated I've lived like this for nearly 3 years (but maybe you consider 3 years short term too?)

I am only putting another point of view across. I visit the doctor every 6 months and have blood tests, and a full check up. I was there just last weeks, and my doctor said I was in 100% healthy, better than I have been at any point in the past. I believe ( and have read much published research on the matter) that keeping a low body weight in one of the most important factors to long term health. There are MANY different theories as to what is healthy , and what is not. And lots of published material to defend different opinions. It is not an exact science.

I have never, and would never promote what I consider to be an unhealthy lifestyle. My point is that just because my opinion and experience does not conform to your idea of what everyone should be doing , it does not make my opinion wrong. Its an alternative.

You know what else helps maintain a low body weight? Smoking. I smoked for 10 years, perfect cholesterol, never got sick, great bloodwork. My point being that just because YOU don't have any negative effects from replacing real food with synthetic nutrients AT THE MOMENT does not mean that this does not have repercussions for health for others.

There are people out there who have to live from meal replacements due to health reasons and the issues they run into are documented in the scientific literature.

I mean opinions vary wildly on this forum but we pretty much all agree those shakes are garbage of the highest order that are in the main designed to exploit people who are desperate for a quick fix to what is an underlying problem that the eating plan does not address.

also i know this is a discussion forum but i wouldn't bother explaining myself to anyone on here that has only negative comments to make about nupo etc as they will always have something to say about the matter. but i really appreciate your comment as this was the very reason i started the thread to talk to people who have used nupo.
    So you only want to hear people tell you NUPO is the way to go? Like you said, it's a discussion forum there's going to be a discussion about the merits and demerits of NUPO. That's how it works.

Hi , Thanks for your reply, i can actually relate to you when you said you found it difficult to stop eating when you are full and that you also found it easier to eat nothing, then eating in moderation this is why i suppose i enjoyed nupo because i was not over eating and i knew that if i stick to the shakes i will loose weight.

can i just ask you rather than doing the 6 nupo shakes per day, you have 1 shake for breakfast 1 shake for lunch and then you have dinner is this correct?

so thanks again :)

This is fecking frustrating - all you are doing is focusing on the bits you wish to focus on and ignoring the massive warning signs.
    however i am just using this diet as a kind of kick start back into losing weight again
    You cant "kickstart" anything with this, except rapid weight gain when you cant stick to it. You dont need this "kickstart", you just need to make small changes.
    I got on great after, best of luck with it. I drank the 6 shakes a day but replaced 1 shake most days with the meal replacement bar as its nice to actually chew food when all your doing is drinking lol. but i actually felt quite full i enjoyed the drinks and i defiantly lost weight over the 2 weeks.

then at the weekend after the 2 weeks i was away and hand no nupo. I then stopped doing it saying that i would start my own diet 1200 calories per day which has not worked for me. so looks like im going to be starting nupo tomorrow aswell hopefully :) it really does work. it just takes determination i suppose. and also the money side of it i find you can actually save money it costs 10 euro per day but if i add up the money i spend on food a day it can be a lot more than that..

let me know how you get on

You will definitely lose weight eating 700 calories a day. You will also lose your health. 1200 calories is also too little most likely, unless you are 6 stone and 100% sedantry?
    drinking the shakes alone per day i think its around 700 calorie intake! which i know is extremely low however it will create weight loss.... i agree with you all it may be very hard to sustain... there is no way you could drink this forever.. but for me it gave me the kick start i needed to loose weight

This is completely unhealthy. Completely.
    its not recommended to do that particular diet for more than 3 weeks without getting medical assessment.

My gast is flabbered. You seriously don't think this is something to be concerned about?
    well im not sure as i have to buy myself a good weigh scales...but i think the answer to that question is no !

So you cant maintain the weight loss, that is not surprising.

Addressing the other poster
    I have kept this routine up, and I've been a constant 9 stone for over 2 years. (it took me about 3 mts to loose the 2 stone) I sometimes do the strict Nupo only diet if I want to loose a couple of pounds that I gained (eg after 2 weeks holidays eating out all the time), but mostly I have 2 shakes during the day , and my main dinner at night. This calorie deficit then lets me to have treats when visitors are over or if I just feel like it. I also go out for dinner with hubby most weekends.

you have 240 calories in shakes and one dinner? I find that hard to believe.

"I sometimes do the strict Nupo only diet if I want to loose a couple of pounds" <-- why dont you do the strict nupo diet all the time? Is it because its not sustainable?
    1. What would you consider sustainable. I've been living like this for over 2.5 years now using meal replacement shakes as part of my diet.

You have been living on 240 calories and one meal for 2.5 years or 6 shakes a day? God help you.
    Previously, I have breakfast at 8am,and be hungry again at 10, and for most of the day. Since I started intermittent fasting, i actailly dont feel hungry until around 3pm. I cant really explain it other than I had food cravings all the time before and now I dont.

I can explain it, you were eating poor quality foods probably.
    I am not ignorant to nutrition

I'm sorry, but you appear to be completely taken in by the spin.
    Not just his definition, mine too and most doctors that arent paid by nupo.

That diet isn't sustainable - i doubt you were following it for 3 years. No doctor would advise someone to eat so little from a bottle for so long.

Our point is you should listen to the overwhelming evidence. You really think everyone is lying to you for the giggle?

TLDR: Stop advocating this poison.

• Advertisement

ok runaway. i get your point!!! i know what you are saying and i take your opinion on board...........

now if i could discuss "nupo" with other nupo users that would be great, without having to put up with negative comments and people posting what i say word for word and having something to say about it.

:(

So you only want to hear people tell you NUPO is the way to go? Like you said, it's a discussion forum there's going to be a discussion about the merits and demerits of NUPO. That's how it works.

no i don't want to hear people tell me NUPO is the only way to go... if someone has used NUPO and has had negative or bad experiences with it i would love to hear, that was the point to find others who have used NUPO and to see how the found it positive or negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just to come to @signmeup's defence a little here.

I think all replies have been made with the best of intentions with OP's and everybody's well being in mind, but I think what catches a little is the preaching, even if very well intended. Maybe @signmeup fells like she's being told what to do.

When it comes to food, people get very entrenched and absolutely sure they are right.

For what it worth, I think any such diet is mental and I couldn't recommend it to anybody. But I can't tell OP what will help her lose weight and remain healthy either, certainly not over an internet forum.

If you asked me 12 months ago I probably would have said eat less and exercise more; follow the food pyramid, low fat etc etc. Now I'm not so sure.

Now that 40-50% of my calories come from fat, and I've lost all interest in sugar/carbs(except very generous veg and fruit) I have incredible energy and feel great. Triglycerides halved, hdl above optimum levels while after changing to this diet.

I tell this not to suggest either path but to illustrate that there is no one size fits all or unique solution to nutrition

FYIW I'm a 38 yr male who has never had excess weight and have always been very active/fit. The reason for high fat diet was in response to need to power ultra distance cycling. Interestingly while after losing maybe 3lbs in 6 months I look much lighter and have much improved toning, without any exercise change.

To OP, NUPO might "work" in short term, but as someone who has always been very interested in food/nutririon I can't see it being a healthy long term lifestyle choice, but what do I know I'm just an eejit on the internet:eek:

ok runaway. i get your point!!! i know what you are saying and i take your opinion on board...........

now if i could discuss "nupo" with other nupo users that would be great, without having to put up with negative comments and people posting what i say word for word and having something to say about it.

:(

Thats the point of a public forum. You post something and that post is open for others to comment on. If you want to discuss a particular product with users of that product then perhaps you should look on the product website and see if they have a forum. If you post in an open forum then you have to accept that people will have differing views than your own.

no i don't want to hear people tell me NUPO is the only way to go... if someone has used NUPO and has had negative or bad experiences with it i would love to hear, that was the point to find others who have used NUPO and to see how the found it positive or negative.

You've repeatedly said it works for you and you're sticking to that so what difference would it make if someone else that used it had a negative experience?

• Advertisement

Too lazy to read the entire thread but how much would a weeks supply of these shakes cost?

JJayoo wrote: »
    Too lazy to read the entire thread but how much would a weeks supply of these shakes cost?

22 piece starter kit which provides you with a 2 week supply for use with the Very Low Calorie Diet plan

Price €161.80

So 80 euro a week.

22 piece starter kit which provides you with a 2 week supply for use with the Very Low Calorie Diet plan

Price €161.80

So 80 euro a week.

What?? How do they justify that cost for what amounts to a bit of protein powder mixed with sugar and a multivitamin?

What?? How do they justify that cost for what amounts to a bit of protein powder mixed with sugar and a multivitamin?

Profit nom nom nom

It does sound like a pile of piss, and for that price you could probably get a "better" meal replacement product, or make one yourself with a blender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Marketing costs (and high calories profits).

Hmm maybe I could invent my own and get rich quick! *Applies for dragons den*

Hmm maybe I could invent my own and get rich quick! *Applies for dragons den*

Instead of the NUPO 6 shake a day diet i give you the 5 shake a day diet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Alright folks.
    I went and bought ten days worth of these shakes about 4 weeks ago. I was 104kg.I'm 28yrs and I'm 6 foot tall. Prior to going to see the doctor I had intended to lose weight anyway as I was about 22kg overweight. The doctor told me I had a cholesterol level of 8 :O. Got a right shock. So I started on the shakes and soup and started to drink lots of water. I was going for lengthy walks also. I could only manage about 5 shakes max(600cals) a day due to the volume of water I was drinking.

So after 14 days I had lost 9kgs leaving me at 95kgs. Once I had finished the Nupo I started to look on the sticky thread here and calculate what I should be eating. I substituted the shakes with healthy foods and meals and started back at the gym. I'm now 93kg(still some way to go).

On the Nupo I will say that the 9kg I shed enabled me to run for longer and it broke the cycle of crap foods that I was eating. That said the most valuable tool I used was an excel worksheet to log all that I was eating and the weight I was at.(I found I was reluctant to eat something unhealthy as I would then have to log it)

shezer wrote: »
    Alright folks.
    I went and bought ten days worth of these shakes about 4 weeks ago. I was 104kg.I'm 28yrs and I'm 6 foot tall. Prior to going to see the doctor I had intended to lose weight anyway as I was about 22kg overweight. The doctor told me I had a cholesterol level of 8 :O. Got a right shock. So I started on the shakes and soup and started to drink lots of water. I was going for lengthy walks also. I could only manage about 5 shakes max(600cals) a day due to the volume of water I was drinking.

So after 14 days I had lost 9kgs leaving me at 95kgs. Once I had finished the Nupo I started to look on the sticky thread here and calculate what I should be eating. I substituted the shakes with healthy foods and meals and started back at the gym. I'm now 93kg(still some way to go).

On the Nupo I will say that the 9kg I shed enabled me to run for longer and it broke the cycle of crap foods that I was eating. That said the most valuable tool I used was an excel worksheet to log all that I was eating and the weight I was at.(I found I was reluctant to eat something unhealthy as I would then have to log it)

Well done that's a great loss. How did you find swapping the NUPO shakes for healthy food ?

Well done that's a great loss. How did you find swapping the NUPO shakes for healthy food ?

The transition to healthy foods was very easy. It took a lot of calorie counting and searching on the internet for the right foods for me.I had to get foods loaded with dietary fibre in order to bring my cholesterol level down. Water consumption was key.When I get a bit lazy I would buy an M+S salad or meal from the count on us range.

When I moved onto actual food I felt very full. I am trying to take in about 1500-1800 calories a day. Some days I take in less and some days i take in more. The use of the Excel sheet helps me see what I am taking in.

I found that I was able to see unhealthy eating patterns while I was on the shakes. An example-If something caused me to be anxious I would find myself gravitating towards the sweets cupboard and I'd have to remind myself that I didn't need sweets as I wasn't hungry or in need of sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 calmcghee93

Today was my first day on the Nupo diet, I bought a 2 week supply of shakes and soups and I'm hellbent on sticking to it, with no cheating or extra food. Day 1 has been OK, I had a strawberry shake, a chocolate shake, the veg soup, another strawberry shake and the thai veg soup with half a nupo bar. They're all pretty good but the only one I'm not too happy about is the Thai chicken one, since I thought that would be my favorite!

Haven't had anything else but several pints of water, feel pretty good other than this dull headache in my temples. Tomorrow is a little get together so wine will be inevitable, which I'm annoyed about because I want to stick to this religiously for at least two weeks.

Btw, don't feel hungry or tempted at all!

Today was my first day on the Nupo diet, I bought a 2 week supply of shakes and soups and I'm hellbent on sticking to it, with no cheating or extra food. Day 1 has been OK, I had a strawberry shake, a chocolate shake, the veg soup, another strawberry shake and the thai veg soup with half a nupo bar. They're all pretty good but the only one I'm not too happy about is the Thai chicken one, since I thought that would be my favorite!

Haven't had anything else but several pints of water, feel pretty good other than this dull headache in my temples. Tomorrow is a little get together so wine will be inevitable, which I'm annoyed about because I want to stick to this religiously for at least two weeks.

Btw, don't feel hungry or tempted at all!

I had a head ache the first 2 days. However I was fine after that. Just be careful when drinking wine because there's no food in your stomach you can get drunk pretty fast. Lol.

Starting NUPO today.

Im going to be doing the nupo shake diet so either 6 shakes per day or 5 shakes 1 bar

I have the chocolate shake & the Thai chicken soup :)

The soup is actually quite nice, its nice to have something hot on days like today.

I will post weigh loss results this day next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Starting NUPO today.

Are you starting to see a pattern emerging yet?
    This is your 3rd time doing this "diet" because it's not sustainable in the long term, and teaches you absolutely nothing about proper dieting and nutrition.

It's my second time actually. And it's my choice.

Its still a bad and stupid diet. Why don't you try something that works long term?

edit: we'll help you with your diet by the way. Thats why we post here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

we'll help you with your diet by the way. Thats why we post here.

+1

This place is a mine of good info and advice, especially the stickies. The fact that there's a thread about a 'meal replacement' product in here at all is a bit upsetting tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

None of the negative comments here are ever an attack on you, btw, so please don't think that. They are an attack on what is seen as a very cleverly marketed, stupidly expensive meal plan, that will most likely not help you long term. I'm cynical about diets like this, and I hate to see people conned. I think this diet is a con that takes advantage of the fact that people are getting too busy and/or inexperienced to cook for themselves and plan a proper diet. If you do nothing else, please read the ingredients of the packets you are eating, and compare those ingredients to other types of sugary bars and flapjacks, normal packet soups and smoothies etc in the supermarket. You may be surprised to find that what you are eating on NUPO is not so far removed from those other things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Oryx wrote: »
    None of the negative comments here are ever an attack on you, btw, so please don't think that. They are an attack on what is seen as a very cleverly marketed, stupidly expensive meal plan, that will most likely not help you long term. I'm cynical about diets like this, and I hate to see people conned. I think this diet is a con that takes advantage of the fact that people are getting too busy and/or inexperienced to cook for themselves and plan a proper diet. If you do nothing else, please read the ingredients of the packets you are eating, and compare those ingredients to other types of sugary bars and flapjacks, normal packet soups and smoothies etc in the supermarket. You may be surprised to find that what you are eating on NUPO is not so far removed from those other things.

These diets also take advantage of another trait of serial dieters: desperation and self-loathing. I know this because only in my darkest moments did I consider them (thankfully not for many years now). I could have read all of the stickies in the world and they wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference, because I needed the weight gone NOW and all rational thought goes out the window when you're in that state of mind.

I'm currently trying to talk a good friend out of doing another 'diet' like this, but she won't hear it. The last time she did it her hair fell out and she got heart palpitations, as well as piling on more weight afterwards. All she remembers is the fact that she lost 3 stone in 2 months, and is blinkered to the rest of it because she simply cannot stand being in the skin she's in.

All of this is to say I know how you feel OP. But by doing this diet, you are being cruel to your body and mind, with possible long-term effects. At the end of the day, would you rather lose 10lbs in a fortnight and pile it all back on, or lose 10lbs over a couple of months and still have your health and sanity? All the best...

• Advertisement

Hi,
    How much did you lose after the first time? Did you go back up?

Hi,

They are doing it again which would lead me to assume that they did.

Dolbert wrote: »
    These diets also take advantage of another trait of serial dieters: desperation and self-loathing. I know this because only in my darkest moments did I consider them (thankfully not for many years now). I could have read all of the stickies in the world and they wouldn't have made a damn bit of difference, because I needed the weight gone NOW and all rational thought goes out the window when you're in that state of mind.

I'm currently trying to talk a good friend out of doing another 'diet' like this, but she won't hear it. The last time she did it her hair fell out and she got heart palpitations, as well as piling on more weight afterwards. All she remembers is the fact that she lost 3 stone in 2 months, and is blinkered to the rest of it because she simply cannot stand being in the skin she's in.

All of this is to say I know how you feel OP. But by doing this diet, you are being cruel to your body and mind, with possible long-term effects. At the end of the day, would you rather lose 10lbs in a fortnight and pile it all back on, or lose 10lbs over a couple of months and still have your health and sanity? All the best...

I wish I could thank this ten times. The best diet book I read (it was a low carb plan which I don't follow anymore) said you actually have to accept yourself before you can lose weight long term. Self-loathing is crappy short-term motivation that lasts only until the next stressful day. Start treating yourself and your body with the respect it deserves now, don't wait until some future 'target' is achieved, you'll wish away your whole life doing that.

Hi,

Given that you eat roughly the calories a 5 year old should eat its likely weight will come off you (your health and fitness will also drop). Because you eat like a 5 year old its not sustainable and its likely you will put all the weight back on.

I'm not kidding about the 5 year old by the way :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

After posting about this diet in the off topic thread on here I was informed of this thread.

Anyways in work today I was printing a 48 page booklet on the Nupo diet so had a chance to read most of it as I went along.

One of the first things it says is if you wish to continue this diet for more than 3 weeks please consult your doctor first that should set alarm bells of in even the most ignorant of people when it comes to nutrition.

It encourages exercise should you choose so I'd like to see anyone do vigorous workouts on a regular basis on this diet and not be on the verge of collapse. It also tells you to ignore the headaches yea ignore what your body is trying to tell you.

In another part it states that after you have finished your diet you should try eat healthy but it is recommended you do still take some Nupo shakes or soups to keep you calorie counts low and under control yea because healthy eating certainly couldn't do that.

Another line that really irritated me was one were they stated they know in some people obesity is hereditary by poor genes or social class :mad:.

In my opinion the government really has a lot to answer for, for these kind of companies and our general diet habits I'm sure many of us as kids remember going to the Coca Cola factory on school tours ad been shown around and given free cans of coke etc and marketing master piece by coke but crazy it was allowed happen sure all you have to to do is look at the amount of bad foods that specifically target kids and no one blinks an eye.

Sure fcuk it while were at it lets bring kids on tours of the John Player Blue factory and hand out free smokes to every kid who gets an answer right.

They are doing it again which would lead me to assume that they did.

I dont know because i dont have a weigh scales. and still dont have one as i cant seem to find a decent one anywhere does anyone know of a good weigh scales?

im really getting put off NUPO. with all the negative comments about it :(

• Advertisement

Hi,

I dont know because i dont have a weigh scales. and still dont have one as i cant seem to find a decent one anywhere does anyone know of a good weigh scales?

im really getting put off NUPO. with all the negative comments about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I wish I could thank this ten times. The best diet book I read (it was a low carb plan which I don't follow anymore) said you actually have to accept yourself before you can lose weight long term. Self-loathing is crappy short-term motivation that lasts only until the next stressful day. Start treating yourself and your body with the respect it deserves now, don't wait until some future 'target' is achieved, you'll wish away your whole life doing that.

This post makes lot of sense. May I ask have you any tips or resources that helps someone accept/love/respect themself. It is a major problem I have and I cannot seem to overcome it, even after counselling for BED.

Monife wrote: »
    This post makes lot of sense. May I ask have you any tips or resources that helps someone accept/love/respect themself. It is a major problem I have and I cannot seem to overcome it, even after counselling for BED.

I like the e-book 'Taking up space' by Amber Rodgers: http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Up-Space-Guide-Escaping-ebook/dp/B00C9VC9OI

If you can't afford the book (I will say it is short for the price), her blog is pretty good on its own:

http://gokaleo.com/blog/

im really getting put off NUPO. with all the negative comments about it

Well it worked for me. It enabled me to get enough weight down to increase my mobility in the gym. It also helped me break my bad eating habits. It is a great short term tool but that's all it is. One day you'll have to change your eating habits and increase your exercise time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Well it worked for me. It enabled me to get enough weight down to increase my mobility in the gym. It also helped me break my bad eating habits. It is a great short term tool but that's all it is. One day you'll have to change your eating habits and increase your exercise time.

would it not make more sense though to change your eating habits from day one, rather than needlessly forking out 80 quid a week for what is essentially whey protein with a bit of carbs added?

• Advertisement
Advertisement