Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New led tvs

• 13-11-2013 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Have been looking for a new tv to replace my sony 32in hd ready with a 42in full hd.
    After looking in shops,is it just me or is the picture crap on these led tvs.I have read loads off reviews and everyone says picture guality is great.
    I mentioned this to one of the salesmen who said it was because there were loads of tvs working of the one dish so that may affect picture.
    Was also told if you have young kids in the house that if they keep touching the screen it can damage the led, has anyone heard off this happening.
    Was looking forward to buying one at Christmas but not sure now.Hope someone can tell me otherwise
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The LEDs are used to light the screen where before CCF - Cold Cathode Fluorescent - tubes were used. LEDs are supposed to last longer, give more consistent and even illumination and don't suffer colour shift like CCFs do as they age.

As for them being damaged by kids touching the screen, I can't see how they would be any more susceptible than CCF illuminated screens.

Picture quality can be be effected by many things and most depend on the source feeding the screen. Watching a standard definition (SD) programme on a HD display can show up the imperfections that have always been there on SD. This can be made worse by the electronics upscaling the picture to fill the display area - a case of "you get what you pay for". A true test would be a BluRay disc playing a full 1080p image on the screen to see how it performs, or a HD rip from a BluRay compressed using MPEG4 to H.264 in an MKV container or similar.

When I walk around most stores like Harvey Norman or Currys I notice a lot of the sets are being fed with SD content and just look awful. Another point, as the salesman said, is that some form of distribution system is used to supply all the TVs which can vastly reduce the quality of the source. Get them to play a BluRay through a BD Player to see what a set is really capable of, then get them to play a normal DVD to see what SD looks like on the TV.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmonman

Which is best,back lit screen or edge lit.
    Are there pros and cons with both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Salmonman wrote: »
    Have been looking for a new tv to replace my sony 32in hd ready with a 42in full hd.
    After looking in shops,is it just me or is the picture crap on these led tvs.I have read loads off reviews and everyone says picture guality is great.

most tv's look crap in shops...its only when you get them home and set the picture settings to your own prefered spec that you'll get a better idea what their really like

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Am looking to get myself a new TV..

In the market for 50", LED, Smart, 1080p.

Am i naive to expect any change from 1000 EUR?

Also, how important is the refresh rate/motion clarity index?Some of the ones i am looking at all seen to have 100. Whereas i was hoping for 200/400, but i have no exp with TVs when it comes to this. What SHOULD i be looking for?

Salmonman wrote: »
    Which is best,back lit screen or edge lit.
    Are there pros and cons with both

Looking at the samsung ue46f6200,anyone have it and what's it like

• Advertisement

Bought the Samsung 46f6500 today.
    Picture on the Hd channels is great but not so good on other channels.Is there a setting we can change to fix it
    Also when we were watching a recorded programme on sky the picture was nice and bright and then it went darker on its own, what's that about

Advertisement