Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E Fibre available... But actually not available

• 13-11-2013 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Why are Eircom advertising that Fibre is available in my area.. and even stating it on their roll out map too when it actually is not? After a lengthy wait fibre has finally come into my area but apparently it's not on my line.
    I can literally throw a stone from my front door to the exchange and it has a shiny new Vsat box sitting right next to it... Even the E Fibre map states it is available in my area... Yet when I contact anyone about getting it I'm told it's not on my line.
    They can't tell me if it's a delay..
    They can't tell me if it will ever actually be available... They can't tell me why or when or if ever I can receive fibre broadband. It's a absolute joke. They literally suggested I check and see if any of my neighbours have received it yet. How is this company still in business?!? I'm guessing I'm not the only one this has happened too..
    Has anyone else received a bit more detail as to what the actual problem is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    Why are Eircom advertising that Fibre is available in my area.. and even stating it on their roll out map too when it actually is not? After a lengthy wait fibre has finally come into my area but apparently it's not on my line.
    I can literally throw a stone from my front door to the exchange and it has a shiny new Vsat box sitting right next to it... Even the E Fibre map states it is available in my area... Yet when I contact anyone about getting it I'm told it's not on my line.
    They can't tell me if it's a delay..
    They can't tell me if it will ever actually be available... They can't tell me why or when or if ever I can receive fibre broadband. It's a absolute joke. They literally suggested I check and see if any of my neighbours have received it yet. How is this company still in business?!? I'm guessing I'm not the only one this has happened too..
    Has anyone else received a bit more detail as to what the actual problem is?

If they can't tell you, I doubt if anyone here can tell you. But you are not the only one complaining as you will see if you read other threads here. Like this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87299735

The map will say available in your area when only 40% of the cabinets are live.

Being near the exchange might be the problem in your case. Some people are connected directly to exchanges rather than to a cabinet and they are not being upgraded at present. I read that in other threads here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    It's a joke. My company is on a purpose built business park. The local Spar shop across the road on the same number prefix is fibre enabled. The fibre cabinet is less than 300m away from the office but yet we are still on a 4km DSL line to the exchange with 2mb speeds...and the line has faults...

You have thought Eircom would be falling over themselves to get their fibre product into the business park and have a fibre presence in the companies here. Compared to the fibre price we pay for the Metropolitan Area Network (which is a staggering €12k a year and all the other companies paying that price too) Eircom is so much more competitive, they'd be lapped up - even if their internet was only used as a redundancy backup or spare capacity pipe. Plus they could then offer their other business products as added value on top.

You'd have thought....? My dealings with our account manager, tech support team and sales over the last few weeks have just re-emphasised how much of an disjointed state legacy company they still are. No one really knows what anyone in any other dept is doing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Pegasus177 wrote: »
    I can literally throw a stone from my front door to the exchange

Thats your problem. Eircom are not installing any VDSL2 equipment in exchanges, only in cabinets. Your line is almost certainly a directly fed line from the exchange with no cabinets in between. As things stand, that means no eFibre for you ever! This may of course change in the future, but that is the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

If they can't tell you, I doubt if anyone here can tell you. But you are not the only one complaining as you will see if you read other threads here. Like this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87299735

The map will say available in your area when only 40% of the cabinets are live.

Being near the exchange might be the problem in your case. Some people are connected directly to exchanges rather than to a cabinet and they are not being upgraded at present. I read that in other threads here.

Yes sadly you are right I just was hoping someone might have a bit of information to share as to what exactly is going on with this roll out. They seem to be a constant let down. Before fibre they had capped all upload speeds at 0.75kbps so no other provider on their lines could out sell them. I made the silly error in actually expecting something good from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Pegasus177

douglasman wrote: »
    Thats your problem. Eircom are not installing any VDSL2 equipment in exchanges, only in cabinets. Your line is almost certainly a directly fed line from the exchange with no cabinets in between. As things stand, that means no eFibre for you ever! This may of course change in the future, but that is the current situation.

Sorry I meant that the new fibre cabinet box is sitting next to the exchange and I can only presume that it's the exchange my residence is connected too, so shouldn't it be available to me? Unless you mean the same thing as hound mentioned above. As of now it's just the irritation of being told its available when it's not. I was actually convinced to sign up for a new contract based on the belief that I was to receive fibre as part of this new contract upon availability.
    The only bit of clarity I could get today was that apparently the lines from the exchange run in a chain like pattern. Where it goes from the exchange to house to house... and even though I am sittin on top of the exchange my house may be the last on the line making it unavailable to me at present.
    The customer service clerk who told me this didn't really sound like they knew what they were talking about and I highly doubt that's correct. It certainly doesn't sound like a logical supply line layout. Think this explanation I received holds any weight?

• Advertisement

There is an explanation here about phone lines connected directly to the exchange. It is about the situation in the UK but the same applies here as far as I know.

http://www.choose.net/media/guide/faqs/exchange-only-line-fibre-broadband.html

See if someone can tell you for certain whether you are connected to a cabinet or directly to the exchange. If you are direct to the exchange it looks like bad news.

Maybe you don't want to give your location but if you did someone with local knowledge may know more about your area. Can you see the cabinet you are talking about in the mapping thread at the top of the page? It would not make sense to me to have a cabinet right beside a telephone exchange but I'm no expert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

@Pegasus177 - do you have broadband installed at the moment? Living that close to the exchange should mean that you would (should) get stable 20Mb download speed on ADSL2+. 20Mb and low latency is certainly adequate for gaming, youtube and video streaming. 70Mb broadband does not make normal browsing particularly faster, though it obviously helps with large file downloads and when you have lots of people surfing t'internet in a household. I know it's an ironic situation when folks further away from the exchange are getting the benefit of fibre :(

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭versager

I feel the pain of the thread creator. I'm in the same boat. Can see the VSDL cabinet out of my window, about 200m away. I live next to the main street in Carrick on Shannon, eircom coverage map says fully available:pac: (yeah, right).
    I'm connected directly to main exchange, which is the culprit according to statements mentioned before.

Just rang eircom helpline today to sort out some old bills issues and used the opportunity to ask about the real availability of the efibre at my address (again as each time I call them). Was told should be getting it next year at some stage. This guy tried to show some understanding while claiming he's in similar situation. I simply didn't believe what he was saying for a fraction of a second. Why? Well, eircom lied to me at several occasions before, stating I'll be getting it before the end of year.

One way or another, once my contract's off next year (October 2014:(), I'm out to a cheaper service provider if I can't get higher speeds. The upload is prehistorical (barely 100kbps although nearly 1mbps is guaranteed!), otherwise I could live with the download of nearly 20mbps which isn't too bad.

Let's hope for the best in year 2014 (ESB, where are thou?)

The map doesn't say Fully Available, it says eFibre is available now. This only indicates that at least 40% of the cabinets are live. I know from reading contributions from Dundalk here that addresses near me are not getting it yet eventhough I was upgraded 6 weeks ago, it is all part of the rollout programme.

Anyway if you are connected directly to the exchange you won't be upgraded anytime soon I suspect. What I would do in your position is try to get your upload speed improved. There must be some reason why it is that low if you can get 20 download.

Advertisement