Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of ugly **only quote images if absolutely necessary**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    It's like they didn't even try a little bit to make it pretty.

With what looks like a negatively angled stem. He must have some neck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    With what looks like a negatively angled stem. He must have some neck!

That's because some bike manufacturers like to lumber pro cyclists with bikes made for fat aul lads. It has quite a tall head tube for the less flexible folk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's the closest thing BMC have to a comfort racing bike like a Trek Domane or Specialized Roubaix (i.e. not close at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

20131130_110612.jpg

Dat seat tube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

4978193608_4063154503_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Seems to be a load of images not loading lately for valid links. The link in the email notification was fine.

Edit: oh, now it loads fine in boards. Carry on, nothing to see here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Iwannahurl wrote: »

I know it's ugly, but if I saw someone at a track meet with that bike I would probably think it was the coolest bike there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Bring back capital punishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

The zonda wheels on that thing are actually very nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Canyon Seatpost...probably works great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

coastwatch wrote: »

I quite like that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Copyright?

283641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Usually concealed by an outer layer ;)
    Copyright?

283641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

Usually concealed by an outer layer ;)

Not if I'm cycling. I do my best to remove those layers. Quite good at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

20131126_143345.jpg?t=1385479174

From the Dublin crimes against bicycles file.

Passed another case of this today but I made a ham sandwich of the photo.

That has become the most fashionable thing in Paris. First time I saw it, I thought about mentioning it to the rider, in case he didn't know it wasn't supposed to be this way (just as forks shouldn't be fitted backwards.). But then, I noticed that this seems to be the rule more than the exception.

What a carnage. For a lover of vintage racing bikes, seing so many lovely old Peugeots -- and others -- destroyed in this fashion is so painful.

As we were saying over here, it's actually a nod to something Graeme Obree did while he was developing his aero position. But I'm pretty sure most people who do it now have probably never heard of Obree...

graeme_obree_upturned_bars2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

As we were saying over here, it's actually a nod to something Graeme Obree did while he was developing his aero position. But I'm pretty sure most people who do it now have probably never heard of Obree...

I'm more than certain that it has nothing to do with Obree, in most instances I saw in Paris. So it seems they're simply copying something they saw without knowing why?

By the way, what was Graeme Obree trying to do?

Well I was just thinking that when people first started upturning their bars, it was a reference to Obree, but probably most people you see doing it now are just copying something they saw like you said.

Obree was all about reducing drag by minimizing his frontal area. When he hunched himself over upturned drop handlebars, it looked something like his "Old Faithful" bike:

obreebike-WATSON-00001644-5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Surely hunching over upturned bars creates a larger frontal area versus over dropped bars, no?

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Surely hunching over upturned bars creates a larger frontal area versus over dropped bars, no?

No I think it worked pretty well, he's pretty much taken his fore-arms and body out of the equation. Just his head, shoulders, hands and elbows sticking out. Looks absolutely terrible handling-wise though.

This is the best picture I can find, not great I know - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMAPAQaCYAARJ2S.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

lexusnxbconceptmountainbike.JPG

God almighty, what goes on in the minds of car manufacturers..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Those kind of bikes are designed by guys who would draw wings on a car when they were kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

For fork's sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Those kind of bikes are designed by guys who would draw wings on a car when they were kids.

So, why no wings on the Lexus horror? I would expect fins at least. Perhaps a projectile weapon to go with the twin lances up front. I hope they snap off easily, as otherwise you could have a hell of a time unskewering someone from your handlebars (possibly yourself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭GoTilUBlow

Huge upside down forks for super duper front compliance, THEN, no rear shock. Mortally dangerouse air vents that seem to be diverting air inside the hand covers over your hands. The covers don't even go out all the way. Or is it for cooling brake fluid? Why not just leave the reservoir exposed with some nice nifty fins on. Western decadence gone wild.

check_six wrote: »
    So, why no wings on the Lexus horror?

He had them in the first design draft. Trying not to dent his ego too much, his colleagues hinted that it might end up looking a bit stupid.
    "Can I leave on the Aero bars for speed mountain biking on Jupiter?"
    "eh yeah sure. Just take off the wings. It will be hard to get it through the front door"

Actually thinking about it, I can only imagine it was the CEO's 9 year old son that designed it and the CEO ordered his underlings to build it.

There's actually nothing new on that bike anyway. It's just a collection of daft crap.

• Advertisement

Jaysus what has me in such a grump.

Advertisement