Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pylons

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Just like there over 500m away from the people complaining about them there no were near them. 500m is just under half a mile away..

These plyons can be 50m close to you house.. try selling your house then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

MadsL wrote: »
    Oh my god. The ground...we can dig it up and lay cables in it. What sorcery is this???

Yeah great idea, its three times more expensive with no real benefits!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

almighty1 wrote: »
    - Impact upon peoples health (tentative links between EMF and leukemia and other cancers)

Got to love how people fear their health from a big bad pylon a couple of hundred feet up but bury the cable under a few feet of dirt and the issue is sorted. Out of sight out of mind eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

Yeah great idea, its three times more expensive with no real benefits!:rolleyes:

Read my post above and I detail just some of the benefits

Got to love how people fear their health from a big bad pylon a couple of hundred feet up but bury the cable under a few feet of dirt and the issue is sorted. Out of sight out of mind eh?

Soil absorbs cancer, didn't you know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Why can they not run them down along the side of the m1

You should really have some idea about what you talk about before you make such statements. ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/545086.stm
    People living and working near high voltage electricity cables may face a greater danger of getting cancer than those who do not, controversial research has concluded.

After completing 2,000 experiments near pylons, a team from the University of Bristol has concluded the cables are responsible for trebling the amount of cancer-carrying pollutants in the air.

Why can they not run them down along the side of the m1

The non-presence of the M1 in the areas where the pylons are needed is probably a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Putting a pylon 50m from someone's house is a bit criminal in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I see almighty has arrived to spout his pseudo science again. I thought we agreed in the previous thread that the "studies" you so love to quote are completely statistically invalid and not worth the paper they are written on. But sure don't let that stand in your way of a good rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

There' s talk in the midlands area that there's going to be wind farms put up. Only thing is all the power they generate will go across the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

There' s talk in the midlands area that there's going to be wind farms put up. Only thing is all the power they generate will go across the water.

I see almighty has arrived to spout his pseudo science again. I thought we agreed in the previous thread that the "studies" you so love to quote are completely statistically invalid and not worth the paper they are written on. But sure don't let that stand in your way of a good rant.

IIRC there was no agreement at any level. You posted some studies that concluded there was no link between EMF and cancers, I posted conclusions of studies that found links between the two.

With such conflicting evidence I think people would rather err on the side of caution with regards to their health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Lived beside a pylon for ten years 20+ kids born on that street

no health problems

Lived beside a pylon for ten years 20+ kids born on that street

no health problems

Good going.

• Advertisement

Read my post above and I detail just some of the benefits

You didn't list any benefits, you made claims re the health of humans and animals that have no scientific foundation whatsoever.
    You made claims re tourism that cannot be backed up and you provided no evidence for them.
    You made claims re maintenance for which you provided not a shred of data.

You didn't list any benefits, you made claims re the health of humans and animals that have no scientific foundation whatsoever.
    You made claims re tourism that cannot be backed up and you provided no evidence for them.
    You made claims re maintenance for which you provided not a shred of data.

Health concerns?
    I've already posted studies about potential impact on health. I could do a quick Google and post you the results of the top 10 if you wish.

Tourism?
    I really need to post evidence how 60m high pylons will impact upon highly scenic areas. Really?

Maintenance? (This is actually a very good read, I recommend it for you)
    http://www.atvinnuvegaraduneyti.is/media/fylgigogn-raflinur-i-jord/33-Underground-high-voltage-cables-Leonardo.pdf
    Apart from the reduced visual impacts,underground cables also offer lower maintenance costs than overhead lines.
    They are also less susceptible to weather-related issues such as storm damage, interruptions, costs of storm
    damage surveys and precautionary storm shutdowns. In addition, underground cables contain high quantities of copper, the most conductive
    engineering metal, resulting in 30 percent lower power losses than overhead lines at high circuit loads and improved system efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I love pylons and lived near one when growing up. I used to pretend they were War Of The Worlds type aliens (and the wires were lasers firing out of them) when I was a kid. You'd have great fun sneaking furtively past them as you led a mission to the galactic shop to pick up important emergency provisions.

I did jump off one before though when I was about 12 and broke my ankle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kneemos wrote: »
    Value of your property would probably suffer as well I'd imagine.
    Constant power blackouts would probably have a worse effect.
    Grayson wrote: »
    I don't think those mobile phone masts have stopped any tourists.
    Personally speaking, I'd avoid areas where I knew there was no phone signal. Also, as many old people can no longer afford landlines, they will rely on mobile phones. But without masts, they're funked.
    You should really have some idea about what you talk about before you make such statements. ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/545086.stm
    Article written Thursday, 2 December, 1999. Do you have anything more recent?

So is it health effects or tourism that's the ojection? Because the ones "near" houses are already in areas "blighted" by human construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

Health concerns?
    I've already posted studies about potential impact on health. I could do a quick Google and post you the results of the top 10 if you wish.

Tourism?
    I really need to post evidence how 60m high pylons will impact upon highly scenic areas. Really?

http://www.atvinnuvegaraduneyti.is/media/fylgigogn-raflinur-i-jord/33-Underground-high-voltage-cables-Leonardo.pdf

Can I ask a genuine question? Whats the story with burying them. Isn't the field still tge same above or below ground?

Also, if we bury them will there be a 40m distance between peoples homes and the buried Power lines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

Eirgrid say they won't get closer than 23 metres to a house if possible. Not 50, not 40. 23.

So is it health effects or tourism that's the ojection? Because the ones "near" houses are already in areas "blighted" by human construction.

Both. So you are saying it's ok to make something look really bad because it already looks a bit bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pity boards.ie wasn't around when the then government proposed putting 3 million electricity poles around the country back in the 1920s.
    I suspect it would have been much the same garbage about tourists and cancer and house prices being the major objections.

hansfrei wrote: »
    Can I ask a genuine question? Whats the story with burying them. Isn't the field still tge same above or below ground?

Also, if we bury them will there be a 40m distance between peoples homes and the buried Power lines?

Burying removes the visual implications of pylons, potential airborne health hazards, devaluation of property etc.

Eirgrid are not entertaining the idea of undergrounding any of their Gridlink projects at all. Although they have undergrounded a 40km route in Meath. I don't know the exact details which regards to distance from house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Apparently electromagnetic waves cannot traverse soil and trunking according to the wannable protestor scientists? Are these same people throwing their microwaves in the bin and refusing to have wifi in their home as well as ensuring never to use a mobile phone due to the radiation also?

The hypocrasy of the pylon protestors is incredible.

Both. So you are saying it's ok to make something look really bad because it already looks a bit bad?

Where did I say that?

Where did I say that?

Hence my question mark

Hence my question mark

So are you saying that aliens abducted you a few weeks ago?

I love non-sequiters.

zarquon wrote: »
    Apparently electromagnetic waves cannot traverse soil and trunking according to the wannable protestor scientists? Are these same people throwing their microwaves in the bin and refusing to have wifi in their home as well as ensuring never to use a mobile phone due to the radiation also?

The hypocrasy of the pylon protestors is incredible.

Haha brilliant .... that's like comparing a Fiat Seincento to an Airbus A380.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Let them **** off and live in a cave if they don't want to put up with the 'inconvenience' of having a pylon located near them.

People like this drive me mad, they want all the conveniences that modern engineering can bestow like electricity, clean running water, sanitation - things that people from even 100years ago would find magical - but, put a necessary part of that infrastructure within 500 yards of them and their phoning Joe Duffy or onto their local Councillor.

****ing Clowns!

It's all well and good saying things like that but would you like a pylon built next to your house?

You go on about wanting services but would you have a landfill site next to your house, or a sewage treatment plant over your back fence?

Have you ever stood under an electricity pylon. There's a fair ould buzz coming from them. I wonder are there any health implications for being so close to such a strong electrical field?

So are you saying that aliens abducted you a few weeks ago?

I love non-sequiters.

Ok so I took you up totally wrong then.

Perhaps you'll explain the original statement for me then. I'm having a slow day.

the_syco wrote: »
    Constant power blackouts would probably have a worse effect.

Personally speaking, I'd avoid areas where I knew there was no phone signal. Also, as many old people can no longer afford landlines, they will rely on mobile phones. But without masts, they're funked.

Article written Thursday, 2 December, 1999. Do you have anything more recent?

Don't think anyone is disputing the need for the infrastructure.People are rightly concerned about getting a pylon planted in front of their houses.

Maybe it's time to spend the money and bury the cables.

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't think anyone is disputing the need for the infrastructure.People are rightly concerned about getting a pylon planted in front of their houses.

Maybe it's time to spend the money and bury the cables.

Government will probably throw a few billion at the pension company anyway. Might as well add another few billion to that and dig down a few shielded trunks.

Oireachtas joint committee on transport on this issue now. Oireachtas channel 4

The field may actually be stronger in that you are closer to it, cable at 95m high is further away from you than a cable 10 m underground. Burying the cable does nothing to lessen the EMF.

Health concerns?

Tourism?

World Heath organization says they have no health concerns re the cables, posting links to discredit and debunked scientific theories does not make them facts!
    Pylons are used all over the world, never heard of a person refusing to visit a country because it has electricity pylons in it!

The field may actually be stronger in that you are closer to it, cable at 95m high is further away from you than a cable 10 m underground. Burying the cable does nothing to lessen the EMF.

There's no danger from EMF it's the dust particles they attract apparently.

there is danger from emf. That's why the pylons are 45 metres high! The strength of it reduces greatly with distance though. Studies on health effects from high voltage lines are inconclusive I.e no concrete evidence that they are harmless either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 tv_king

this is in all likelihood about seeking compensation , when eirgrid ( show the money ) , hysteria about cancer etc will quickly reseed

a bunch of farmers in my neck of the woods all got 9 k per double poll when a 38 kv line was erected across a forty mile stretch of the country , when money was put on the table , the shrieks of ( were all going to die ) stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's all well and good saying things like that but would you like a pylon built next to your house?

You go on about wanting services but would you have a landfill site next to your house, or a sewage treatment plant over your back fence?

Have you ever stood under an electricity pylon. There's a fair ould buzz coming from them. I wonder are there any health implications for being so close to such a strong electrical field?
    There's a difference between a pylon and a landfill/sewage plant. Sewage and landfill smell terrible. Drive down to dublin docks, it would make you wretch the smell is so bad.
    There's nothing nagative proven about pylons other than people don't like the look of them.

They are also very noisy! And very domineering. Do people have any comprehension of a 43 metre pylon? They're the ones that cross the m7 near kilcullen. People have genuine concerns about them and should be listened to.

I dont understand the problem either. Trying to educate myself by reading about it now.

Wouldn't sheilding the trunks work? In the same way network cables get sheilded?

Www.saveourheartland.com has lots of photos of the landscape they are proposing to bring the lines through in Carlow. Very near st Mullins monastery from 7th century as well as many other archaeological sites. Crossing a protected area for critically endangered freshwater pearl mussel. Runs close to historic village of borris and designed landscape of borris house.

I have no property there and I live in Finland. If they had a fraction of those features in one area here it would be a national park.

Cienciano wrote: »
    There's a difference between a pylon and a landfill/sewage plant. Sewage and landfill smell terrible. Drive down to dublin docks, it would make you wretch the smell is so bad.
    There's nothing nagative proven about pylons other than people don't like the look of them.

The look of them is probably the main concern.
    They'll make your house severely devalued or unsellable.Also they don't do a lot for the scenery.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Www.saveourheartland.com has lots of photos of the landscape they are proposing to bring the lines through in Carlow. Very near st Mullins monastery from 7th century as well as many other archaeological sites. Crossing a protected area for critically endangered freshwater pearl mussel. Runs close to historic village of borris and designed landscape of borris house.

I have no property there and I live in Finland. If they had a fraction of those features in one area here it would be a national park.

Borris, Offaly? They should plant one near Cowens house, or preferably on his face. Stick a wind turbine up his arse while they're at it.

Borris, Offaly? .

... Borris, south co. Carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

So hang on then .. putting them a couple of feet underground is these peoples fix ? Sure a few feet of dirt and some shielding you believe is a safety feature will stop this evil magnetic field. I'm not sure does our planet not generate a massive magnetic field already ? Do these people have their TV's, any cabling (that carries electricity), microwaves, mobile phone buried underground too ? What happened to them people in the country moaning about mobile phone (death tower’s) bay stations ? don't these people now complain there is no signal or internet access in some areas now ? And maybe just maybe try looking up information on what the buzz actually is ... And no no it’s not some kind of tesla death ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

fits wrote: »
    People have genuine concerns about them and should be listened to.

Yes, and then laughed at, given a boot up the arse and told to **** off back to the 19th century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yes, and then laughed at, given a boot up the arse and told to **** off back to the 19th century.

Hang on a minute. Have you got a pylon outside your front door?

Do you honestly think that you wouldn't mind if there was a huge pylon buzzing away outside your front door, you wouldn't give a sh1te?

• Advertisement
Advertisement