Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local property tax "help" line

Options
  • 13-11-2013 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't received my letter with property number and pin so rang the helpline to get it.

- Approx 6 minutes of recorded information telling me how to pay it(online)/where to find faqs (online) yadda yadda
    - 30 seconds of talking to someone "ok you need your property id and pin? What's your pps number? Ok I'll put you through to someone in head office (:confused:) and they'll give you that information
    - 3 minutes of hold music
    - message: all our agents are busy. We expect to be able to answer your call in 18 minutes!!!!!

*amdublin hangs up*

Will ring tomorrow from home, was on my mobile today

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

amdublin wrote: »
    Haven't received my letter with property number and pin so rang the helpline to get it.

- Approx 6 minutes of recorded information telling me how to pay it(online)/where to find faqs (online) yadda yadda
    - 30 seconds of talking to someone "ok you need your property id and pin? What's your pps number? Ok I'll put you through to someone in head office (:confused:) and they'll give you that information
    - message: all our agents are busy. We expect to be able to answer your call in 18 minutes!!!!!

*amdublin hangs up*

Spent over 1 hour last week (in 2 separate calls)trying to speak with someone on the so called helpline without success !!
    Wrote to them instead and told them how I intended to pay the tax , adding that I spent 1 hour + trying to contact them by phone ! And I got a certificate of posting just in case it "gets lost in translation "

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Oh dear! Yes I may do that. Although I am off work tomorrow so I may just set aside an hour in the morning for it.

By chance (unlikely!!!) that there is an email address??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

lpt@revenue.ie

Though I'm still waiting for a response to an email sent last April.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

email the minister. I did the same re an issue with the motor tax office. 20 mins later I had them calling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

*amdublin hangs up*

I have not received any letter from them yet. I also tried ringing
    them yesterday and had much the same experience as yourself.
    Was told I would have to wait for sixteen minutes. Had no
    intention of doing so! Am writing to them, by registered post,
    to let them know how I am going to pay.

• Advertisement

Take 2.
    Ringing them now from home. Wish me luck.

Edit.
    Dammit they are open from 8am - would have rang earlier if I'd known...

Accurate record of call (I gave the stopwatch on my phone :))

- 2 mins 30 seconds listening to all the recorded info
    - 1 minute talking to (very nice) girl who explained that it would be head office (:confused:) who'd have to give me my id and pin. She also explained it was really busy and she may not even be able to get through to them, plus it would be over a 20 minute wait for them
    - 1 minute on hold waiting to be put through to head office
    - 1 min 30 seconds talking with nice girl explaining she cannot even get through and best to try at literally 8am or 7.30pm this eve

6 minutes and still have no pin and id *grrrr*

Dammit I'm going to try it again - I'm off today, it's really the only time that suits (plus I'm a glutton for punishment :()

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Accurate record of call (I gave the stopwatch on my phone :))

- 2 mins 30 seconds listening to all the recorded info
    - 1 minute talking to (very nice) girl who explained that it would be head office (:confused:) who'd have to give me my id and pin. She also explained it was really busy and she may not even be able to get through to them, plus it would be over a 20 minute wait for them
    - 1 minute on hold waiting to be put through to head office
    - 1 min 30 seconds talking with nice girl explaining she cannot even get through and best to try at literally 8am or 7.30pm this eve

6 minutes and still have no pin and id *grrrr*

The deadline is fast approaching for them, it is busy season. It is the same for any company or government dept that has a deadline looming.
    Be thankful that the girl who did answer the phone was courteous enough to explain to you that they are really busy and not likely to get through at this time.

Time for this call:

- 2 mins listening to recorded information: saved 30 seconds by clicking on option 5 as soon as they started giving options :)
    - message advising approx. 1 minute wait time: there goes my time saved :o
    - was actually a 2 min 30 second wait
    - spoke with lady who advised 20 minute wait for head office and that she'd transfer me and try get me into the queue
    - 3 mins hold and then message saying all agents busy, expect to answer call in 16 (yay, :)) minutes
    - 1 minute hold, message saying expect to answer in 15 mins
    - I've been on the call approx 10 mins at this point - they expect to answer in 14 minutes
    - expected time 13 minutes
    - expected time: 12 minutes (I've been on this call 11 minutes 30 seconds at this point)
    - 10 minutes (i've been on the call 13 minutes)
    - 9 minutes (I've been on call for 14 mins)
    - 8 minutes to go... (15 mins so far)
    - 7 minutes (15 mins 50 seconds total)
    - 6 mins (17 mins total)
    - 5 mins (17 mins 45 secs)
    - 4 mins (18 mins 30 secs total call so far)
    - 3 mins (19 mins 30 secs)
    - 2 mins (20 mins 20 seconds)
    - 1 min (21 min 10 secs)
    Actually answered in 10 seconds at 21 min 20 seconds :)
    Spoke with very helpful lady who provided me all the information need.

Total call 29 minutes
    Plus previous calls: 44 minutes in total

I'm tired. But successful :o

• Advertisement

The deadline is fast approaching for them, it is busy season. It is the same for any company or government dept that has a deadline looming.
    Be thankful that the girl who did answer the phone was courteous enough to explain to you that they are really busy and not likely to get through at this time.

Completely agree.

But you seem to be implying that it is my fault that I'm ringing them :confused: If they had sent me the correspondence as they shpuld have then I wouldn't have needed to ring them.

Completely agree.

But you seem to be implying that it is my fault that I'm ringing them :confused: If they had sent me the correspondence as they shpuld have then I wouldn't have needed to ring them.

Nope, not saying it's your fault, just highlighting that it's a time of year to be a bit more understanding of the situation as it is silly season for them.

Nope, not saying it's your fault, just highlighting that it's a time of year to be a bit more understanding of the situation as it is silly season for them.

44 minutes in total spent on these calls (on my days off from work). I think I've been very understanding :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

44 minutes in total spent on these calls (on my days off from work). I think I've been very understanding :confused:

I would have done nothing and just wait for a reminder letter some time in Jan/Feb. They won't do anything to people who are late paying - not until they have sent a couple of reminders.

See http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-penalties.html

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm trying to pay the LPT for my Dad, who is in his 80's and when trying to logon to the website, there is an error saying "The PPSN number does not correspond with the Revenue's record for this property". (I have his medical card in front of me - PPSN number is correct and name corresponds with the name on the letter with his number and pin on the letter from the Revenue)

I emailed the address listed on the website last week and have just received a response saying that they only deal with the household charge and I need to speak to the LPT people. Is my only option to spend an hour on the phone trying to get through to them, or has anyone any suggestions?

As ever, I appreciate your help

Thanks

kathleen37 wrote: »
    I'm trying to pay the LPT for my Dad, who is in his 80's and when trying to logon to the website, there is an error saying "The PPSN number does not correspond with the Revenue's record for this property". (I have his medical card in front of me - PPSN number is correct and name corresponds with the name on the letter with his number and pin on from the Revenue)

I emailed the address listed on the website last week and have just received a response saying that they only deal with the household charge and I need to speak to the LPT people. Is my only option to spend an hour on the phone trying to get through to them, or has anyone any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi Kathleen,
    Apparently if you ring at 8am you will literally get through in a minute.
    Good luck! (they are very helpful once you get through)
    Amdub

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Hi Kathleen,
    Apparently if you ring at 8am you will literally get through in a minute.
    Good luck! (they are very helpful once you get through)
    Amdub

Thanks very much for that, I'll try them in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elheffe

kathleen37 wrote: »
    I'm trying to pay the LPT for my Dad, who is in his 80's and when trying to logon to the website, there is an error saying "The PPSN number does not correspond with the Revenue's record for this property". (I have his medical card in front of me - PPSN number is correct and name corresponds with the name on the letter with his number and pin on the letter from the Revenue)

Thanks
    have you tried the drop down menu beside the pps box, it may be a income tax number, try selecting it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ogham wrote: »
    I would have done nothing and just wait for a reminder letter some time in Jan/Feb. They won't do anything to people who are late paying - not until they have sent a couple of reminders.

The holding position for people who are late in payment is they automatically deduct it at source. It doesn't just sit there unpaid. If you're unhappy with them deducting at source- you either persevere (and yes, it can be frustrating)- or....... wait until they start deducting in the New Year- and then contact them and change the method.

In either event- you're best bet is to register for ROS- and if you're a PAYE employee- lob in a tax return- you're probably due a rebate, it may only be small, but its your money. The only downside is you'll need your P60, medical bills and records of doctor/hospital visits etc. It is worthwhile doing- just tossing anything relevant into a biscuit tin in the kitchen and then sitting down and sorting it.

They won't deduct at source without contacting the liable person first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I've pre-registered for a one off payment, and was happy enough with using the site. However I realised I didn't get an email or any acknowledgment. (i'm doing this at the moment for my mother which is why it came to mind).

Anyway I rang the LPT helpline yesterday, and despite having my PPSN, PIN and Property ID, the guy got my name wrong, and gave me details of a property that is not mine and a valuation. We cleared that up. So I asked him was it protocol to send any email after registering. He replied that he didn't know as it was just a general information line. I pointed out that this was general information, whereas he'd given me specific information about a property that I didn't know in a complete stranger's name. He replied he still didn't know. So I calmly asked if he could enquire. No, he wasn't 'empowered'. Now, I wouldn't normally overreact but I had been an hour on the phone about my dad's medical card. So when he asked if he could help with anything else, I lost it and said 'I doubt it, you've been no help in this'. Hung up. AND HE RANG BACK through my caller id and said he felt violated and bullied!!!

He is probably getting abuse from every second caller- and probably was intimidated by you. Perhaps he doesn't have access to the information you were seeking- its common for security reasons to ringfence what staff can and cannot access. He could send a query to the relevant section- however, as they're probably snowed under as well- how likely are you to get a response from them?

Yes- it is a mess- which they acknowledged when they gave an extra week to people- however, the only people they thought would contact the line are a small subset of those who paid their property tax in a lumpsum in 2013- no-one else.

If you read the other threads in here- you could see that you don't get an e-mail after registering- you do however get an e-mail receipt of your payment option.

The guy doesn't come out the best from your phone conversation with him- particularly handing out someone else's information- however attacking him isn't going to achieve anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My point is that I was asking for general information, and his reply was he was a general information line - yet gave me specific wrong information! The query I was asking was general!

amtc wrote: »
    My point is that I was asking for general information, and his reply was he was a general information line - yet gave me specific wrong information! The query I was asking was general!

What you consider to be 'general information' does not necessarily equate with what Revenue consider to be 'general information'. He will have limited access, if any- to most of their systems, and is probably a terrified clerical officer getting abuse from every second caller. Its a particularly thankless task- and yes, while he is being paid to do a job, and yes- he made a haems of it on this occasion- slinging abuse at him isn't going to achieve anything, other than making him feel small, abused and bullied, and you frustrated. It was poorly managed by both you and he- regardless of how you put it.

They won't deduct at source without contacting the liable person first.

The liable person has been contacted (via the letters they sent out).
    Lack of communication post receipt of the letter- will be interpreted by Revenue as agreement on your part to go on periodic payment via deduction at source.

Read the documentation.

Lack of communication post receipt of the letter- will be interpreted by Revenue as agreement on your part to go on periodic payment via deduction at source.

Read the documentation.

I did read it ...

see http://www.moneyguideireland.com/property-tax-penalties.html
    and http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/reminder-letters.html

Revenue states that if you chose to ignore the letters then it will be deducted from source...it's also last updated as of July 2013, so ever so slightly out of date and the letters that have been in circulation lately are probably the second tranche of reminder letters. There may not be a third.

The letters sent in November were the first letters for the 2014 tax. No second letters have yet been sent.

They sent reminders in 2013 and they will send reminders in 2014 if the tax hasn't been paid or a payment method chosen.
    There is no reason to believe they will act differently in 2014.
    Unless you have a link to documentation that says otherwise?

The letters sent in November were the first letters for the 2014 tax. No second letters have yet been sent.

They sent reminders in 2013 and they will send reminders in 2014 if the tax hasn't been paid or a payment method chosen.
    There is no reason to believe they will act differently in 2014.
    Unless you have a link to documentation that says otherwise?

I have no reason to believe they will act the same. I know it's a shambles of an operation.

What difference do think it will make sorting it out now vs the next wave of letters? There are still going to be backlogs and errors and not enough agents trained up to deal with the volume of calls.
    Better off dealing with it immediately and getting the frustrating bit over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Read the documentation.

What if someone didn't get the letter?
    I never received a letter. My parents did for their house, but I'm still waiting on one for mine.

Advertisement