Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local property tax "help" line

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Most of the people in the post office said they didnt receive a letter either, a good few were deferring it due to only having the pension. Nobody wanted to ring up, I offered to help some of them make the call but they all refused. I can understand that they want to keep their affairs private.

Is it only people who paid in one full payment last year that get letters this year, will all the others keep going paying out of the wages or differing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Letters weren't sent to all house owners.

Only to those who made one-off payments of the 2013 LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

From http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/lpt-obligations-2014.html

If you are the liable person for the property on 1 November 2013 you have to pay LPT for 2014.

At this stage, Revenue has issued letters to most residential property owners (by post or to ROS inboxes) regarding 2014 LPT payment methods. Those who paid their 2013 LPT in one lump sum (i.e. by single debit authority, debit/credit card, cheque/postal order/cash) or by regular cash payments received a letter. Letters included a Property ID, PIN and confirmed the amount due for 2014. Letters to owners of multiple properties confirmed the total amount of LPT due for 2014 on all of their properties.

We are not writing to you if you paid your 2013 LPT by phased payment method (direct debit or deduction at source from your salary, occupational pension or certain Government payments) or if you opted to defer the full liability. These options will be rolled over into 2014.
    The same applies if you claimed an exemption.

You do not have to pay your 2014 LPT now, or at any stage before Christmas. The tax is not due until 1 January 2014.

All Revenue is asking you to do is to let us know now how you want to pay for 2014, fill in the payment instruction on paper (and send it to Revenue by 14 November) or online by 27 November. You can choose to pay in one lump sum or by a phased payment method.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Surprised that people seem to be unaware that the Revenue Helpline has been outsourced to a call centre sweatshop in Cork called Abtran. Turnover there is very high so agents would have little training and access to very limited information from Revenue.
    "Head Office" is Revenue but they don't take calls directly. You have to be transferred from Abtran.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The initial payment for the half year in 2013- included a proviso for valuing the property until 2016- and it is hypothesised that all the current details will remain valid until then. The reason those who chose to pay by periodic payment, by cheque or by credit card (as opposed to those who chose to pay by periodic deduction) were even contacted at all- is Revenue don't have payment details for them on file.......

Some other changes- 48 ghost estates who qualified for an exemption in 2013- loose their 'ghost' classification for 2014 and onwards. (From 2016- a further 400 estates, will also loose their designation- however an undertaking has been given to demolish many in areas incapable of supporting them (Jan O'Sullivan))

You can argue as to whether you will get more correspondence or not- until the cows come home- the stated policy is in the event of lack of communication from you otherwise, it is intended to move all those who made payments (by any means) other than periodic deductions, onto periodic deductions- unless specifically advised otherwise.

Also- be very careful about your letter with your property id and pin covering multiple properties- in many cases, they don't. Revenue seem to have the linkages (somehow) for quite a few people.

It is a haems of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Most of the people in the post office said they didnt receive a letter either, a good few were deferring it due to only having the pension. Nobody wanted to ring up, I offered to help some of them make the call but they all refused. I can understand that they want to keep their affairs private.

Is it only people who paid in one full payment last year that get letters this year, will all the others keep going paying out of the wages or differing.

I made a one off payment and have not
    received any letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Geuze wrote: »
    Letters weren't sent to all house owners.

Only to those who made one-off payments of the 2013 LPT.

Not true. I did not receive any letter yet
    even though I made a one-off payment
    in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

What you consider to be 'general information' does not necessarily equate with what Revenue consider to be 'general information'. He will have limited access, if any- to most of their systems, and is probably a terrified clerical officer getting abuse from every second caller. Its a particularly thankless task- and yes, while he is being paid to do a job, and yes- he made a haems of it on this occasion- slinging abuse at him isn't going to achieve anything, other than making him feel small, abused and bullied, and you frustrated. It was poorly managed by both you and he- regardless of how you put it.

Do people who register get an email - is general information. Whatever way you put it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

amtc wrote: »
    Do people who register get an email - is general information. Whatever way you put it.

Short and simple answer. No, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Short and simple answer. No, they don't.

that's all I wanted. My point was if you can get it that this was a request for general information from a general information line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement