Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a "substantial change"?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

With regard to rent increases, can you interpret the phrase "a substantial change in the nature of the accommodation provided under the tenancy occurs" please?
    • Would replacing an adequate sofa with a similar [budget] but new one count?
    • What about replacing windows/windows frames?
    • Replacing the boiler?
    • Painting some of the walls?

To me these examples are like-for-like things and they don't really change the property, so they shouldn't change the rent. I think a substantial change means that experience of living in the house would be obviously changed and while new things are nice, replacing new with old will rarely do that.

What is everyone elses opinion?

I bet it will be easy to tell, but just in case maybe you could say whether you are answering as a landlord or a tenant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have always taken that to mean a change to the house such as adding on an extension, converting the attic into more rooms etc. Basically something that means the house is substantially different to when it was rented and is now one that would command a lot more rent.

You could maybe argue the new windows, if the house was rented at a rock bottom price initially on the basis of it having single glazed windows and no insulation, but Im not 100% sure about that.

Advertisement