Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbours neglecting pets,what to do?

• 13-11-2013 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

im a boards poster but made this account incase any of my posts would identify me should the people in question see this thread!

basically we have some neighbors who moved in a few months ago, they're not the sort of people you want to get on the wrong side of.

their cat is elderly and barely able to meow, but she climbs across our wall every day and takes my cats food, she won't let my cat near his bowl (i have started feeding my cat inside now and putting out a bit for her after) shes obviously very hungry. sometimes she will come running over to our front door as soon as we open it, twice i have caught her trying to climb in our sitting room window.

i would have thought maybe she was a little bit greedy until i noticed her trying to eat stones one day...

then there is their dog. hes small enough, not sure what breed, probably mixed. his coat is so dirty it looks like he was never washed, the fur is stuck together/hard with dried in dirt. i seen him trying to get water to spill out of an almost empty plastic bottle on the road one day, he was so thirsty. his paws look very sore. he also is starving with the hunger and doesn't look like he is being fed/cared for at all. gave him a pack of cat food this morning and he had it all eaten before i even finished taking it out of the packet :(

they have a larger dog that looks fed/cared for, he was taken off them a few months ago and they had to pay a fine to get him back.

i was thinking about reporting them to ISPCA but im not sure what happens. will i have to give my name? if the ispca take the animals, what happens..will they be put down if nobody wants them? not being cruel but i can't see a whole lot of people wanting that dog or the elderly cat :( don't want to get on the wrong side of neighbours either incase they do anything to my own cat!

any advice for a very confused/sad animal lover :(:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Phone the ISPCA straight away, they can't force you to give your name and regardless of what they do for the animals it will be better than leaving them to starve to death at your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1414

irish_goat wrote: »
    Phone the ISPCA straight away.

will i have to give my name? will the animals be put down if nobody adopts them?

my heart is breaking here. its about 20 mins since i fed him and i can hear him outside the window licking the plate even though theres nothing on it

edit : also will the ispca tell them they got a call about the animals? apart from the neighbours who own the pets, there is only one other house nearby so i dont want to start any fighting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

i dont know about the ISPCA but I know you can make a report to my local dog warden and they wont divulge to the persons who reported them.

Why dont you ring them for a chat regardless, to discuss your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1414

might give the warden a call tomorrow and see what they can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You'll be able to stay anonymous OP. It sounds as though the animals are living a miserable existence and if thats the case they need someone to intervene for them. Now this may sound callous and it really isn't intended to be, but, even if the worst came to the worst and they were pts, it would be quick and merciful as opposed to starving slowly, especially trying to scavange for food in the winter.

It's a difficult position for OP to be in, but to do nothing would be far worse. It's good to see someone caring about them and not turning a blind eye as so many people seem to do these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement