Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian seriously injured on Bothar na dTreabh (N6)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Would this have been on the dual carriageway between the Terryland roundabout and Tuam Road junction? Saw a couple of fire engines and cars on one side but couldnt see any apparent crash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

The Sentinel yesterday said it was by the old Ibis Hotel , terrible news to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

kevin65 wrote: »
    Would this have been on the dual carriageway between the Terryland roundabout and Tuam Road junction? Saw a couple of fire engines and cars on one side but couldnt see any apparent crash.

Yeah that was it. I passed it going towards town and there was an ambulance there but like yourself, I couldn't actually see anything. The fire engine was coming around the roundabout when I hit the Kirwan.
    brutes1 wrote: »
    The Sentinel yesterday said it was by the old Ibis Hotel , terrible news to hear.

It was nearer to the Tuam Rd junction than the IBIS IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

From the Kirwan to the Tuam Road junction is about 2 km.

Any chance you could narrow it down a bit, eg with reference to a landmark or something?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The accident happened near the kirwin roundabout on the tuam road side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It was the Kirwan side near the bend on Bothar na dTreabh.

Poor lad, hope he makes a good recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Sorry to hear, hope the lad makes a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

This is terrible news, but unfortunately a serious accident has been waiting to happen there for a while. I drive on that road every night and there is a major problem with people crossing the road near the Ibis rather than walking to the pedestrian lights at the roundabout. Oftentimes these people are wearing dark clothes, and this coupled with the dark nights isn't a good mixture.

Is there a shortcut to Tirellan/Ballenfoyle through the fields there, as that seem to be where people are headed?

This is terrible news, but unfortunately a serious accident has been waiting to happen there for a while. I drive on that road every night and there is a major problem with people crossing the road near the Ibis rather than walking to the pedestrian lights at the roundabout. Oftentimes these people are wearing dark clothes, and this coupled with the dark nights isn't a good mixture.

Is there a shortcut to Tirellan/Ballenfoyle through the fields there, as that seem to be where people are headed?

There's a major problem with speed on that road.

Did the collision occur around here? I'm wondering why someone might try to cross at this point, and if you're saying that it's a regular occurrence perhaps there is indeed some shortcut that they're taking.

Could this be why pedestrians are crossing Bothar na dTreabh at this location?

1. Pedestrian route in Sandyvale.

2. Pedestrian route off Bothar na dTreabh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

While speed is definitely an issue on that road, considering the kerbs and lack of a central median, people crossing it anywhere apart from the traffic lights are asking for trouble tbh. Very stupid thing to do. In saying that, hope victim makes a full recovery.

Advertisement