Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler fan running all the time

Options
  • 13-11-2013 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Just bought a house and working our way through all that needs to be done. There is a Baxi Solo 2 60 PF gas boiler in the house. I guess it's there since the house was built in 2001.

Before we moved in I don't think it had been serviced in years. So we got a guy in who serviced it in September, no problems.

But I noticed last night that the fan appears to be running all the time. Only noticed it in bed cos I heard the noise. Thought I'd left the heating or maybe an extractor fan was left on. But nope, twas the boiler and it went on all night. Well, I presume it's the fan cos it's much quieter than when the boiler is burning gas and heating the place.

Any idea why this would happen?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just bought a house and working our way through all that needs to be done. There is a Baxi Solo 2 60 PF gas boiler in the house. I guess it's there since the house was built in 2001.

Before we moved in I don't think it had been serviced in years. So we got a guy in who serviced it in September, no problems.

But I noticed last night that the fan appears to be running all the time. Only noticed it in bed cos I heard the noise. Thought I'd left the heating or maybe an extractor fan was left on. But nope, twas the boiler and it went on all night. Well, I presume it's the fan cos it's much quieter than when the boiler is burning gas and heating the place.

Any idea why this would happen?

Cheers,
    Quad

I'd say it's the pump rather than the fan and if that's the case it'll be the pcb that needs to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Egass13 wrote: »
    I'd say it's the pump rather than the fan and if that's the case it'll be the pcb that needs to be replaced

Oh ffs. That's what happened in our previous (rented) place as well. Landlord put in a good few hundred quid into the boiler replacing various parts (including the PCB) before just replacing the whole thing.

Any ballpark on how much a PCB would cost?

And is it worth replacing in a 12 year old boiler?

Ballpark 180-ish for the part and 120-ish labour depending who you get. Solo are a good little boiler IMO , if it was a 12yr old vokera or ferroli I'd probably suggest changing it if it's within your means to do so , but if you look after the one you have it'll last another 5+ . Havin said that it wouldn't be the most efficient boiler so if that's an issue for you then replace it.

In the mean time if the pump is annoying just turn off the spur switch in the wall if you have one and that'll reset the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Could also be a faulty thermistor causing the pump to run continuously. Had one recently on a Ferroli Tempra. But if not the thermistor, PCB most likely at fault.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Could also be a faulty thermistor causing the pump to run continuously. Had one recently on a Ferroli Tempra. But if not the thermistor, PCB most likely at fault.

Yea your right I've had before aswell but I find 95% of the time it's the board on the solos .although I should of really mentioned it as an option for the OP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement