Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plywood backing alternative - Coosa board supplier ?

• 13-11-2013 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I need to replace the plywood backing to a fibreglass transom for the rudder gudgeons and also to replace plywood backing for handles on the deck.

The (25mm thick) marine ply is on its last legs and rather than replacing with similar I would prefer to use Coosa board or similar as it doesn't absorb water and will last a lifetime. Coosa board only seems to be available in the US.

I would be grateful if anyone knows a supplier in the UK or Ireland.

I'm sure fibreglass 'blocks' of 25mm strips would do the same thing if they are available anywhere ?
    I have googled lots of suppliers and can't find anything suitable.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you coat the plywood in epoxy resin it should seal it and last for many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭castor 1

fergal.b wrote: »
    If you coat the plywood in epoxy resin it should seal it and last for many years.

Thanks Fergal - that is my last option if I can't find the Coosa board or similar.

Coating with epoxy is grand but when you then drill it to take 6 bolts it leaves a lot of places to let water seep in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

What I do there is drill oversize holes then fill them with epoxy and when it's sets drill them to the size i need that way it will remain watertight.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

fergal.b wrote: »

I'd go with this too , as sourcing Coosa board even seems to be a problem. Epoxy and ply properly done will also last and can be easily supplied.
    Some of these structual foam boards don't hold fasteners and the like that well either, they are good for shaping and area coverage but not too great to hold pieces that come under constant strains.

Advertisement