Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Girl Travelling to Brisbane- Advice Please?!

Options
  • 13-11-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on Australian life in general but in particular, I'm concerned about finding accommodation, meeting other Irish people and other nationalities, transferring cash to Australia WITHOUT getting ripped off and looking into regional work.

Firstly though, I feel I should give an account of my situation though;

I've secured a modestly paid 6 month internship in a law firm in Brisbane. I'm fortunate enough to have family based in Brisbane who are going to help me get started, but I want to stand on my own two feet ASAP.

I've arriving on a WHV, giving me the option to travel around/work after the internship concludes.

I have both a legal related undergraduate and Masters degrees, but have yet to sit my FE1s (legal practical exams). I didn't see the point in committing myself to further studies in Ireland just yet when I want to travel and gain some much needed work experience (alongside the poor employment prospects in law).

The latter is almost impossible to secure at the moment.

I turn 24 early next year, so really if anyone could give me any tips on Aussie life, the social scene for young people/emigrants in Brissy and how to make connections professionally and socially, I'd be delighted.

Any advise on regional work would be fantastic too, as I intend to secure a second year WHV/would like an opportunity to remain in Australia after my WHV expires.

Many thanks all, look forward to hearing from you all!

L

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Try these guys for currency exchange http://www.worldwidecurrencies.com. You'll save some money on regular bank transfers. I'm in the process of setting up an account and friends have used them to move money back to the UK and saved quite a bit.

I don't live in Brisbane so can't comment on it. I've been there a few times with work and there are no shortage of other Irish people to meet over here.

Regional work is postcode and occupation dependant. As in you need to work in a specified postcode (google will find the list for you) and in the right occupation (again google will help with a list of viable occupations). So you can't do certain types of work to count for your 2nd WHV even if you are in the right postcode etc.

Look to some of the larger mining companies for legal/office work (Origin Energy, QGC, Bechtel, Arrow Energy, Santos etc). If you get regional FIFO (fly in, fly out) work with them it should count no matter the postcode as oil & gas/mining counts. If you do get a FIFO role doing 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off it counts as 4 weeks work as your work days are longer and away from "home". The money will be a lot better too. They can be reluctant to take on WHV holders though.
    I was lucky enough to get a job FIFO as a surveyor when I first got here so it covered me for my first 2 years to be here and was earning double what I would have been in the city. IT can be a culture shock if you do work oil & gas in remote locations. You stay in prefab "camps" where accommodation and food are provided but will be a shock to the system on first arriving. Good experience though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

First up, congrats on getting as far as you have with the planning, it sounds as though you've got it pretty well figured out.

If you are staying with family, then you will miss the initial hostel experiences, which is a good thing for saving money and work life stability, but it will make it harder to meet people.

Having some sort of work lined up is a massive step up. I presume your job is based in the city and your family are based in the suburb, so get your head around the travel situation straight away, translink.com.au is pretty good at what it does.

As for extending your WHV duration, it kind of depends on when you get here, you basically have two options, secure a 2nd year WHV, or find a route to a sponsorship visa. Your employer may be prepared to do this once they've seen what you are made of, but don't count on it, and expect plenty of lip service before they commit, be firm if this becomes an option.
    The alternative is another employer for a 457 (tricky to get, but definitely not impossible) The 12 month timeframe is going to be your biggest enemy, so it may be worth getting some regional work sorted out and getting a second year, and a second 6 months with your initial employer to get it over the line.

Some of the larger infrastructure projects don't have too long left from a construction point of view (Gladstone, Caval Ridge, Surat, SQ gas pipelines etc.) the Pacific Motorway upgrades are still steaming along as is ICHTYS, but the employment market has softened somewhat in 2013, and construction in particular is slowing. So the construction related boom won't do you many favors, but the mining sector itself is still relatively strong, and there are plenty of opportunities in BNE, there is a pretty solid financial base in the city with Virgin, EY, Leighton, QR and a host of other decent sized corporations based in and around town.

As for meeting other Irish backpackers etc. You'll have to try pretty hard to avoid Irish people in Bris, If you are keen, hit some of the backpacker bars in town, Down Under, Tin Billys, Birdy Num Nums, and the usual pig and whistles always have a reasonable contingent. If you are serious about staying for a few years, you are better off getting to know some longer term residents ( there are a few GAA teams etc. and if you are around for March 17th, head to the Irish Club on Charlotte st or Mick O'Malley's on Queen st and you will get to meet a few thousand very friendly ones !!

Other than that, I'd suggest you make a bucket list of places to go, (Fraser Island, Whitsundays, Daintree, Byron, Sydney, Melbourne, Blue Mountains, Ulluru, Kakadu, Gold Coast etc) Pick each one, and try and squeeze in one every few weeks.

For professional connections, get on LinkedIn and use it, try not to rock up to work visibly hungover (they'll never let an Irish worker live it down, stereotypes and all of that) Bring your manners with you and you'll have no problems.

Any dramas, post up here, there seem to be quiet a few boardsies knocking around Brisbane, But I've never managed to make it to the boards beers....yet

Have Fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

...so get your head around the travel situation straight away, translink.com.au is pretty good at what it does.

As for extending your WHV duration, it kind of depends on when you get here, you basically have two options, secure a 2nd year WHV, or find a route to a sponsorship visa. Your employer may be prepared to do this once they've seen what you are made of, but don't count on it, and expect plenty of lip service before they commit, be firm if this becomes an option.

...but the mining sector itself is still relatively strong, and there are plenty of opportunities in BNE, there is a pretty solid financial base in the city with Virgin, EY, Leighton, QR and a host of other decent sized corporations based in and around town.

As for meeting other Irish backpackers etc. You'll have to try pretty hard to avoid Irish people in Bris, If you are keen, hit some of the backpacker bars in town, Down Under, Tin Billys, Birdy Num Nums, and the usual pig and whistles always have a reasonable contingent. If you are serious about staying for a few years, you are better off getting to know some longer term residents ( there are a few GAA teams etc. and if you are around for March 17th, head to the Irish Club on Charlotte st or Mick O'Malley's on Queen st and you will get to meet a few thousand very friendly ones !!

For professional connections, get on LinkedIn and use it, try not to rock up to work visibly hungover (they'll never let an Irish worker live it down, stereotypes and all of that) Bring your manners with you and you'll have no problems.

Any dramas, post up here, there seem to be quiet a few boardsies knocking around Brisbane, But I've never managed to make it to the boards beers....yet

Have Fun !

Many thanks for all of the above invaluable info Angry Hippie, its fantastic that such a forum exists. I definitely will take all of that onboard and hopefully can meet some of the Brissy Boardies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

You'll love it. Lots of sun. Safe and friendly city. Close to sunshine and gold coast for weekend.

Cant go wrong!

LaHaine wrote: »
    You'll love it. Lots of sun. Safe and friendly city. Close to sunshine and gold coast for weekend.

Cant go wrong!

I admit I am getting very at the prospect now. I have suffered with homesickness in the past, but that was in my early undergrad days. I think its time to fly the cope and hopefully Oz is the beginning of that.

....sorry for that emotive dribble!

Also, is the heat a difficult thing to adapt to? I've found in the past that 30c in Spain was killer enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Also, is the heat a difficult thing to adapt to? I've found in the past that 30c in Spain was killer enough..

I had to change my work shirt at eight this morning. Clinging to my back.

The humidity is crippling.

And the thunderstorms.

And the spiders.

And the seagull sized bats.

And the jellyfish.

Enjoy !!!!!!!!

The heat is grand, Air con!! I'm usually freezing in work all day. Buses and trains all nice and cool.

Its easier to deal with a 35 degree day here than a 22 in ireland.

When you first arrive and are out in sun just get a hat and some factor 30.

None of this stuffs a big deal. I think everybody over thinks these things. You adapt quickly.

Thankfully, none of the above, except humidity, freak me out stefan! (Although frizzy Irish hair is going to be a barrel of laughs!)

Cheers LaHaine, it will probably be Factor 50 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I had to change my work shirt at eight this morning. Clinging to my back.

The humidity is crippling.

And the thunderstorms.

And the spiders.

And the seagull sized bats.

And the jellyfish.

Enjoy !!!!!!!!

It's part and parcel. Yeah its hot. Everyone is hot and sweaty and there is no escaping it. You do adjust. A wide brimmed hat makes a difference and sunscreen. The thunderstorms are pretty amazing really. You've only seen it in movies before. Really enjoyable to watch apart from all the rain that comes with them!

As for spiders, how many people do you hear of being killed by spiders per year? Not many in a country of 26 million people, so don't stress. They can be big and scary if you see them but nothing to stress about.

Snakes....I've worked rural for 2.5 years and seen a total of 4 snakes,. I've seen more run over by cars than alive.

Jellyfish...all depends on the wind direction where you are so not really a big problem. Lifeguards will tell you to get out if they are around.

Bats...a bit weird to see but they don't bother you. Think of them as night time birds that don't come near you.

the heat here is different. 22 back home is harder to deal with than a 35 day here. Different sort of heat. Loose, bright long sleeve clothing does the trick. Keeps the UV off the skin, keeps you cool.

Edit: See...thunderstorms are pretty awesome here. This is one from work.
    6738813051_c3062c2cca_z.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

If you can swim go to the outdoor pools, there's one near the Suncorp stadium and a few other dotted around the place.

One of my fondest memories of Oz is getting in a pool at dusk after a hot day day and just floating looking up at the stars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Drink water before you leave the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

I've been living in Brisbane now since June 2011. I came over here on a working holiday visa when I was passing through and ended up staying here as I got a good job working in IT. Life over here is so great! but I would advise you to get a car if you are living over here. I didnt for my first year as I always planned on going back home but the humidity can be hard to deal with ( Nov,Dec,Jan) going to work in the mornings, specially wearing office gear. If you have a car and air con at home, the humidity shouldnt bother you at all. Since I got a car I've hardly noticed it.
    I also take off to the beach most weekends as you are surrounded by one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. The quality of life here is excellent and you will love it. As for areas to live, I'm a big fan of the valley/New farm area. So many cool bars and restaurants around and lots to do :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

Many thanks for all of the above invaluable info Angry Hippie, its fantastic that such a forum exists. I definitely will take all of that onboard and hopefully can meet some of the Brissy Boardies :)

Looks like it is time to organise another Brisbane Boards Beers. It's been a while since the last one! When you coming to Brisbane by the way?

TirEoghain wrote: »
    Looks like it is time to organise another Brisbane Boards Beers. It's been a while since the last one! When you coming to Brisbane by the way?

Mid January 2014.

Yeah I actually missed the last one, were many there?

Btw, are there any good forums/websites for finding non-hostel accommodation that anyone could recommend?

Flatmate.com.au if you're looking to share an apartment. Gumtree too.

I found realestate.com.au really good.

Hi all,

I'm back again, this time my concern is banking (as is half of Irelands over the past 5 years).

I know the Megathread refers to various banks to set up an account with pre-arrival, but could anyone give me a personal account of which bank they would/would not recommend?

I've set up a CurrencyFair account but would like to have my Oz bank account set up to being the process of sorting my finances.

I'd really appreciate it Boardies!

L

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I use commonwealth bank, I have no issues with them, they have a great internet banking site, I get paid into my account so banking is free (and lots of ATM's in sydney), They are also pretty good at fraud, I was recently the victim of ID theft, and CommBank were excellent, locked down my account and prevented the d*ck from getting any money.
    Banks are Banks, generally for every 4 people that don't have an issue there will be one who will say 'don't use xxx' etc
    My friends use ANZ and westpac and they seem to have the same experiences as

• Advertisement

+1 for Commonwealth. Once you have wages coming in theres no fees. Had no issues with them since opening account.

The other good thing about Commonwealth is that you can use Bankwest ATMs for free. There are BankWest ATMs in all the 7Eleven convenience stores.

Just so you are aware, normally there is a charge for using an ATM belonging to a different bank.

Thanks everyone.

A relative recommended Bankwest or Suncorp, but given the unanimous thumbs up for Commonwealth, I may reconsider.

Many thanks again, this forum/thread has been a huge help to date!

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

As far as i call tell using cashback in Coles/Woolies doesn't incur any charges, I think Coles are applying for a banking license.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

TirEoghain wrote: »
    The other good thing about Commonwealth is that you can use Bankwest ATMs for free. There are BankWest ATMs in all the 7Eleven convenience stores.

Just so you are aware, normally there is a charge for using an ATM belonging to a different bank.

I use Suncorp and have found them to be the least likely ATMs to find in out of the way places, or even suburbs, never mind interstate. I don't think they have one within 10mins walk of my work. The big four might be b*stards but they're far more convenient.

And as with all banks, b*stards is a relative term.

PS: Posted last year about buying a house and proposing in the giving up a job to move thread. Wedding is in 51 weeks in Kenilworth up in the mountains around the Sunny Coast!

So I definitely like Queensland enough to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Can simply call up the large banks Anz/Commonwealth etc as the have offices in the uk and set up your account over the phone ,

Banks are very helpful here and nice to deal with

When you arrive get a Tax file number from ato.com.au

Myself and my partner are considering renting a room in our house , were in Hawthorn , pm if interested

Btw, are there any good forums/websites for finding non-hostel accommodation that anyone could recommend?

I have a spare room at the moment, that is available for rent. I will let you know if it is still available when you arrive in mid January. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

Also flying in to Brisbane in mid january, cheers for advice also. Im a plumber by trade

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

NAB Have free banking some of the others dont. We have used them and find their staff very good have set up an account etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Best thing about Anz is the app. Really quick and easy to use especially when transferring money or checking your balance.

Advertisement