Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copper sulphate for worms

• 13-11-2013 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Are any of you using Copper Sulphate either for thrive or as a worm dose ?

When I started in sheep the guy who sold me the ewes gave me instructions for mixing cobalt with copper sulphate as a drench. I used it for a couple of years but lost courage as I kept hearing about copper toxicity. I have read some reports on trials and I am very tempted to start on the Copper again. Have any of you ever killed a lamb with copper . I am in a high molybdenum area so my sheep should have a greater tolerance to dosing with Copper Sulphate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

brownswiss wrote: »
    Are any of you using Copper Sulphate either for thrive or as a worm dose ?

When I started in sheep the guy who sold me the ewes gave me instructions for mixing cobalt with copper sulphate as a drench. I used it for a couple of years but lost courage as I kept hearing about copper toxicity. I have read some reports on trials and I am very tempted to start on the Copper again. Have any of you ever killed a lamb with copper . I am in a high molybdenum area so my sheep should have a greater tolerance to dosing with Copper Sulphate

wont kill worms........ be careful using it as it can take months for the effects of oxicity to show as far as i am aware - also certain breeds eg texels are more suceptable to its effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭brownswiss

flatout11 wrote: »
    wont kill worms........ be careful using it as it can take months for the effects of toxicity to show as far as i am aware - also certain breeds eg texels are more susceptible to its effects.
    Copper will actually kill certain worms. Trials are ongoing . I know about the toxicity but am looking for people with actual knowledge and experience with using copper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

i think you will find that the worm species its effective against (barber pole) is not an issue under irish conditions and as far as i gather it is not effective against the types of worms that affect our sheep, also i would be concerned with a chronic bulid up of copper in the liver if you were supplementing with this method

Advertisement