Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porterstown Pedestrian Bridge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

daymobrew wrote: »
    It will be very difficult to cross for those with buggies or bicycles. There will be pedestrian traffic in both directions - to/from St Mochta's school and to Scoil Choilm.

Yes very good point, if there is an observation submitted on this point if you have a good chance of effecting a change in structure design . I suspect they are going initially for the cheapest model, as a posed to a continuous ramp that used in many suburban areas

Here is an example http://goo.gl/maps/UeAux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭daymobrew

oblivious wrote: »
    if there is an observation submitted on this point if you have a good chance of effecting a change in structure design.
    I don't any confidence that FCC will change the design no matter what observations they get.
    I suspect they are going initially for the cheapest model, as a posed to a continuous ramp that used in many suburban areas
    No doubt they chose the cheapest model regardless of any best practices or consideration for those who have to use the bridge.

I plan to ring a guy in FCC to ask why the other options (like the Stillorgan ramp bridge) were not chosen. He will probably blame the close proximity of Dr Troy Bridge (claiming that the ramps would be close to it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I plan to ring a guy in FCC to ask why the other options (like the Stillorgan ramp bridge) were not chosen. He will probably blame the close proximity of Dr Troy Bridge (claiming that the ramps would be close to it)
    In my own opinion you are completely wasting you time seeking a verbal response from a Public Servant (Fingal Co. Co. Official)on such a complex matter. Put your query it in writing and cc all the local reps and request that the sitting Councillors to put a question / motion in regard of your query at the next Local Area Council meeting or General Council meeting.

At least then you will have a response to your query in writing and on the record. As apposed to a verbal response which will basically boil down to your word against the word of the FCC official.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    At least then you will have a response to your query in writing and on the record. As apposed to a verbal response which will basically boil down to your word against the word of the FCC official.
    I've not had much luck with councillors in the last few months - not one of them responded to emails about the chicane at the start of Beechpark Avenue (Castleknock Road end). It took emailing a TD to get one councillor to respond.

Also, the time from asking a question and the next council meeting could be beyond the public consultation time.

Having said that I will keep your comment in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

As far as I know, all written submissions are at least discussed at council meetings - it definitely happened with the new N3 bridge. Would be no harm putting your concerns in writing and then pressuring the local councillors to act on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

As far as I know, all written submissions are at least discussed at council meetings - it definitely happened with the new N3 bridge. Would be no harm putting your concerns in writing and then pressuring the local councillors to act on them.

Yep, if an observations is submitted (it will cost 20 euro to do this) they have to review it. Also it will appear on-line so you can see you also submitted observations

You maybe able to submit as a group such as a residence association, one name on the observation but attached signatures agreeing with the statement and possible other remedies attached (I.E. Stillorgan ramp bridge solution)

Yep, if an observations is submitted (it will cost 20 euro to do this) they have to review it. Also it will appear on-line so you can see you also submitted observations
    There is no cost for submissions on a public consultation. The charge only applies with respect to planning permission applications.

I did submit about the speed ramps that were put into Diswellstown Road. Someone summarised my submission and then it was quickly dismissed at the council meeting. I mentioned "summarised" because one should include your own summary to "help" the person not lose the points in your submission.

I got an email telling me about a Public Meeting on Monday 25th November at 8pm in St. Mochta's National School Clonsilla regarding the proposal by Fingal County Council to close the Porterstown Road at railway crossing and erect a pedestrian footbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

...It will be very difficult to cross for those with buggies or bicycles. There will be pedestrian traffic in both directions - to/from St Mochta's school and to Scoil Choilm.

Is there a similar bridge somewhere else? hard to visualise this in those drawings.

beauf wrote: »
    Is there a similar bridge somewhere else? hard to visualise this in those drawings.
    The bridge at Coolmine train station is similar, though it does not have the 'bicycle channel' or mesh sides at the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Clifton Scannell Emerson Associates have an ex Fingal employee within their ranks and seem to get alot of work under procurement thresholds even though they are not a local consultancy which is a shame

With the same pitch as coolmine?

With the same pitch as coolmine?
    I don't know, but it looks like a shallower pitch as it has 2 flat portions and is 19 metres long. Look at the drawings.

I found this document from May this year. It gives the reasons for dismissing the ramped bridge. The distances involved do not sound like much but they are not trivial when you are walking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

"public meetings" will be hosted by the politically ambitious. Don't fall for their guff (and if anyone sees Paul Murphy will you ask him to take down those damn referendum posters and to stop obstructing the cycle path on Diswellstown Road?)

"councillors" will promise and will talk a lot of hot air but they are impotent and surplus to requirements.

I took a drive down there today. That road is a relic and completely unsuitable for traffic. Ambulance and fire tender barely made it past me on the other side of the lane. Close it and people will find alternative routes. Embrace the change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I've not had much luck with councillors in the last few months - not one of them responded to emails about the chicane at the start of Beechpark Avenue (Castleknock Road end). .

What about the chicane on Beechpark Avenue?

Rosser wrote: »
    What about the chicane on Beechpark Avenue?
    I would like to see it removed. It was installed as a traffic calming measure long before the (tall) speed ramps were installed. Now it simply messes with traffic and causes confusion about who has the right of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I would like to see it removed. It was installed as a traffic calming measure long before the (tall) speed ramps were installed. Now it simply messes with traffic and causes confusion about who has the right of way.

Interesting and probably for another thread but I live on Beechpark Avenue and I'm almost certain you'll get limited local support for that proposal. It was brought in as an effective deterrent to using the avenue as a 'rat run' to the M50 at rush hour.

The right of way is straight forward, yield to traffic travelling toward the village and don't block the box.

I'm prepared to deal with some slight school time congestion if it limits the traffic load. There are the alternatives of Auburn Ave or the N3 for those going to for example the Educate Together or Tennis Club and even better would be the pedestrian cut through from Wood Park to the M50 foot bridge.

All the local Councillors have given a door step commitment to further traffic calming on the Avenue (whatever that's worth). A road with two busy schools needs cars kept away even if it inconveniences the driver or resident of which I am both.

"public meetings" will be hosted by the politically ambitious.
    It was a very well attended public meeting tonight. It was organised by the residents behind the Facebook page, not politicians. The presentation by the group was very good, with only a few claims of a post closure apocalypse, though it finished with some excellent suggestions on improving the road. It was suggested that this presentation be posted on the Facebook page.

It was attended my loads of local councillors, a few candidates and a TD. Some pathetic digs at each other during their speaking time.

The audience was unanimously against the proposal.
    One person predicted that the closure would result in syringes and condoms being thrown about the canal tow path. :rolleyes:

Aside: The meeting was opened by a guy on the Board of Management of St Mochta's National School. He presented the plans for the rebuilding of the school. A public meeting will be held in the new year to go into these in more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I was at this meeting last night, and the audience was unanimous in their objection.

DayMoBrew, you say the meeting was organised by residents and not politicians, but you're technically incorrect and technically correct at the same time - as crazy as that sounds.

David Hughes led the charge on the night. Yes he is a resident, but he is also a prominent local member of the Labour party, and a prominent member of the INO. There is nothing at all wrong with that, but you were replying to IMADEtheBBC, who said public meetings will be hosted by the politically ambitious.

David Hughes led the charge on the night. Yes he is a resident, but he is also a prominent local member of the Labour party, and a prominent member of the INO. There is nothing at all wrong with that, but you were replying to IMADEtheBBC, who said public meetings will be hosted by the politically ambitious.
    Thanks for the clarification. David's connection to the Labour Party would explain the group of Labour people in the front row.

What is the INO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Thanks for the clarification. David's connection to the Labour Party would explain the group of Labour people in the front row.

What is the INO?

The Irish nurses organisation - Labour and unions, married at the hip. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I dont see the problem personally. if i lived on that stretch i would appreciate the tranquility closing that road would bring. do they think skumbags are going to make a beeline for it once its closed? I doubt it.

I dont see the problem personally. if i lived on that stretch i would appreciate the tranquility closing that road would bring. do they think skumbags are going to make a beeline for it once its closed? I doubt it.
    The residents do believe that scumbags will flock to the area.
    One big issue is the school and the a-hole parking that comes with that (all schools have a-hole parents, St Mochta's is far from unique). The residents claimed that they can't get out of their houses during school opening and closing times.

Hopefully the presentation made at the meeting will be posted. It covers many of the concerns, and it has good suggestions on improving safety on the road.

According to the Facebook page, the decision has been postponed until April 14th.

I wonder how much traffic they can force all the same way over Dr Troy Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I wonder how much traffic they can force all the same way over Dr Troy Bridge.
    Has anyone noticed that the road surface on that bridge is suffering from serious subsidence, as you approach the crest of the bridge from either direction?

There's a real thump as you cross it now. I think its a drainage channel is it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement