Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 Months in a rented flat, mould in the bedrooms.

Options
  • 13-11-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Me and a mate moved into a rented ground floor apartment 2.5 months ago and the bedrooms are fairly effected by mould even though we have been heating them in the evenings with electric wall mounted heaters and ventilating them during the day as much as possible.

I just wanted to know what the standard procedure is about this and getting it sorted or even moving out and retrieving the deposit back because we have hardly started the winter and this is happening already.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Have you informed the landlord of the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Indeed I have.

Also informed the landlord the the storage heaters (different to the ones in the bedrooms) are not operating.

Has the landlord taken any steps to resolve the issue?

The heating not working is probably a bigger issue tbh; that is a basic obligation of the landlord to get repaired.

Okay, what's a reasonable time frame to have these issues resolved do you think?

We are also registered with the PRTB.

edit: no steps taken yet. Haven't been given a time to be at the house or anything so I have contacted them again this morning.

To get the heating fixed? No more than a week in winter really. It depends on the effort being made; if they are making an effort and having an issue getting parts etc then leeway can be given (within reason) but if they have made no effort to even look at the problem then Id be getting pretty pissy with them after a couple of days tbh.

• Advertisement

Just been told by the landlord that, "Once there is adequate heating & ventilation condensation should not occur which encourages mould."

What do you say to that? Already explained we are doing that as much as we can. Its only possible to open the windows so much with the way the weather has gone but the heating is always on in the evenings.

Condensation is only one potential cause of mould. Its caused by dampness, which could also point to other issues with the property (ie a leak somewhere).

Cheers, By the reply I got from the landlord it seems as if the blame is being put on us. Rather not have this hassle just before the Christmas.

Id love if there was just a way out now and get it over with instead of having to live with the mould for the remainder of the contract. Cant risk loosing the deposit either. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Where is the mould accumulating? I live in a fairly old building with single pane sash windows coupled with no drying facilities beyond the rads under the windows means condensation on the window frames which I clean with a bleach solution from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭josip

OP, are you drying clothes inside on the rads/clothes dryer?
    If not, and you're not running a humidifier or something, then it's the fault of the building. If there's obvious mold you can ask the landlord to either rectify it or you will contact the HSE (I think) to get the flat condemned which will allow you to break the contract.

• Advertisement

Window frames, walls (not just exteriors), wooden chair in the bedroom, personal belongings and clothes in wardrobes. That's off the top of my head. Living room/Kitchen doesn't seem effected.

We have a clothes horse in the hallway. Not near the bedrooms. we have a washer/dryer in the kitchen but we don't use the dryer (keeping electricity costs down) and the rad in the hallway also hasn't been working since we moved in as well the one in the Living room/kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I have visited dozens apartments with tenants giving out about the mould problem. You generally find they are drying clothes in the apartment, not using the extractor fan in the bathroom. And when you look for vents they are taped over to cut down on the heating bill. Most old mould problems are tenant related and not generally the building its self,

http://reviews.diy.com/2191-en_gb/10287856/reviews.htm

This spray is the only one that kills the mould and keeps it away for good. Its very expensive but works unlike the cheap and ****ty supermarket ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭josip

brembo26 wrote: »
    Window frames, walls (not just exteriors), wooden chairs, personal belongings and clothes in wardrobes. Thats off the top of my head. Living room/Kitchen doesnt seem effected.

We have a clothes horse in the hallway. Not near the bedrooms.

I suspect that the clothes horse in the hallway is your problem. If you're drying clothes indoors you'll need either a very draughty house or an air management system to prevent mould.

Think how much the wet clothes weigh and how much lighter they are when they're dry. That's the amount of moisture you're adding to the air each time.

The hallway is possibly warmer or there is airflow that moves the moisture away from the hallway.

hfallada wrote: »
    You generally find they are drying clothes in the apartment, not using the extractor fan in the bathroom. And when you look for vents they are taped over to cut down on the heating bill.

Extractor fan comes on automatically when light is turned on. There is no vents in any of the rooms. Windows are opened on a daily basis for as long as possible until it gets to cold. Clothes are generally outside drying on a close horse unless its raining and even at that there is only two of us and only do a wash once a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Try not using the clothes horse, use the dryer and laundrette instead, and see if the mould reappears.
    Sounds to me like this is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Extractor fan comes on automatically when light is turned on. There is no vents in any of the rooms. Windows are opened on a daily basis for as long as possible until it gets to cold. Clothes are generally outside drying on a close horse unless its raining and even at that there is only two of us and only do a wash once a week or so.

Dublin City council regulations states you have to have a vent in everyroom. A small slip vent on a window is not good enough. Ask the landlord for vents to be installed. It takes about 20 mins with a rented core drill. You would be surprised with how much moisture a body can produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

MouseTail wrote: »
    Try not using the clothes horse, use the dryer and laundrette instead, and see if the mould reappears.

Is there no other solution to the problem of mould? I live in an apartment, with no access to an outdoors clothes line... why should I (or the OP) have to pay extra for a basic housekeeping chore?

MouseTail wrote: »

I agree with this. Especially if you are drying clothes in the hall, which is the one place in the house where there is almost guaranteed to have no ventilation.

If nothing else, it rules out one possible reason for the mould, and also rules out a possible reason why it could be said that its your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Is there no other solution to the problem of mould? I live in an apartment, with no access to an outdoors clothes line... why should I (or the OP) have to pay extra for a basic housekeeping chore?
    Because you are damaging the rented property and who ever lives there property . Drying clothes in side a modern building or an upgraded building will cause mould.

Do you know how much it costs to use the drier? It is a false economy if you are making the place hard to live in.

If you owned the property yourself would you want it ruined by mould? You simply can't dry clothes inside and not expect mould. If you can't afford to dry your clothes then you should look for a property where you can dry them outside.

If I was the LL I would be telling you to pay for treating the mould.

Just to update, landlord was around yesterday and informed me that he knew the problem exists in the apartment and are looking at ways to treat/prevent this mould from occurring.

I will not be paying to treat any mould after responsibility has taken by the landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Ventilation. Open windows

Ventilation. Open windows

Thanks, been doing that everyday. Doesn't help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You say the heaters arent working right in the bedrooms. That's part of the problem right there, get the heaters fixed, warm the rooms up and the mould should disappear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Just to update, landlord was around yesterday and informed me that he knew the problem exists in the apartment and are looking at ways to treat/prevent this mould from occurring.

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We live in an apartment and invested in a tumble dryer when our first baby was born. We use it all the time in the winter and we've never noticed any significant increase in our electricity bills. We try to use it at off peak times as much as possible.

Before we had the dryer we used a dehumidifier when drying clothes inside. You would be amazed at how much water it caught and made is realise that the water would be in the air otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Because you don't want mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

hfallada wrote: »
    Dublin City council regulations states you have to have a vent in everyroom. A small slip vent on a window is not good enough. Ask the landlord for vents to be installed. It takes about 20 mins with a rented core drill. You would be surprised with how much moisture a body can produce.
    Link to the regulation, I find it odd especially as buildings are trying to be air tight

jonny24ie wrote: »
    You say the heaters arent working right in the bedrooms. That's part of the problem right there, get the heaters fixed, warm the rooms up and the mould should disappear :)

No the heater in the living room and hall are not working. The bedroom heaters are working fine :)

Here's a few pics :pac:
    https://imageshack.com/i/nlt608j

Edit: go left first to get to the start.

• Advertisement

No the heater in the living room and hall are not working. The bedroom heaters are working fine :)

If there is no heat in the hall and presumably no ventilation (as halls do not tend to have windows) then drying your clothes there is almost certainly contributing to the problem.

Advertisement