Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5 Months in a rented flat, mould in the bedrooms.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

On the odd occasion when they cant be left outside drying yeah, maybe. Noticed a tile coming away from the wall in the bathroom where mould is present. Been like that since we moved in, never paid much attention to it till now. Hardly happening because of a little drying inside? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It might not entirely be down to drying inside, but drying clothes in an unventilated space certainly isnt helping matters.

From looking at the pictures it looks like its more than just a little mould problem to be fair; to my untrained eye that looks like an actual damp problem. Especially the mould on the cushions; thats fairly extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

hfallada wrote: »
    Dublin City council regulations states you have to have a vent in everyroom. A small slip vent on a window is not good enough.

I've never came across this regulation before nor can't seem to find it in the information on DCC websitehttp://www.dublincity.ie/housing/environmentalhealth/environmentalhealth/pages/ventilation.aspx

Building regs dicates In general, the minimum total equivalent area of background ventilators providing general ventilation should be 30,000mm2 with an additional 5,000 mm2 for each additional 10 m2 floor area above the first 70m2 of floor area measured. For single storey dwellings situated at ground level or on any storey up to four storeys, an additional 5,000 mm2 per dwelling should be provided.

It doesnt matter if this is satisfied by wall vents or trickle vent or other means as long as its provided.

kieran. wrote: »
    It doesnt matter if this is satisfied by wall vents or trickle vent or other means as long as its provided.

My bedroom and the main bathroom doesn't have one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I've spoken to countless landlords and tenants over the years regarding mould growth/dampness in their apartments (funny how these issues never seem so prevalent in houses). Anyway I always inform them to ensure there is adequate ventilation in the property, that extractor fans run for a minimum of 15 minutes (most are only set to run between 3-7 mins) with the bathroom/ en suite door closed.

Trying to explain to someone who is not familiar with building issues/surveying that even drying a few items of clothing in an apartment can cause serious mould growth is near impossible and is more often than not met with an exasperated explanation of how they know how important ventilation etc is.

99% of the time, mould growth in apartments is due to lack of ventilation. If there is an underlying building issue I would presume that the management company/managing agents/landlord would be aware of same.
    your landlord can of course engage a surveyor at a cost of €400-500 to inspect the apartment but the chances are the surveyor will make numerous recommendations regarding ventilation and only after all these recommendation have been followed correctly will the surveyor carry out more investigative work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

blacklilly wrote: »
    99% of the time, mould growth in apartments is due to lack of ventilation. If there is an underlying building issue I would presume that the management company/managing agents/landlord would be aware of same.
    your landlord can of course engage a surveyor at a cost of €400-500 to inspect the apartment but the chances are the surveyor will make numerous recommendations regarding ventilation and only after all these recommendation have been followed correctly will the surveyor carry out more investigative work.

I agree and would add that any property can develop a mould problem if the right conditions are allowed. This is why I always recommend to landlords to install a tamper proof ventilation system that will handle anything the tenants throw at it and not rely on the minimum allowed in the building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

hfallada wrote: »
    Dublin City council regulations states you have to have a vent in everyroom. A small slip vent on a window is not good enough. Ask the landlord for vents to be installed. It takes about 20 mins with a rented core drill. You would be surprised with how much moisture a body can produce.

As far as I know that regulation relates to current building standards which are not retrospective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I have rented places out for many years without any damp problems. A new tenant moved in and suddenly there is a damp problem. Given only one thing changed it is common sense that it the cause.
    I have it written in the lease that you cannot dry clothes inside the property. It simply causes damp problem. I highlight it and repeat it to the tenants.

Most will ignore this and then complain about damp saying it is too expensive to run a dryer and that the washing could not possible cause the problem. Ask them how much the dryer costs to run and they have no idea.

If you use a condensing dryer you know roughly 2-3 litres of water come from a single wash and people tend to do two washes over a week. The is like spraying 6 litres of water on the walls. The moisture will condense on the coldest wall. So adding that much water on a wall will cause damp. Even if you only do one wash a week that is a lot of water to keep putting on the same spot without a chance to dry out. You then get mould.

I would make the OP pay for any repairs due to mould for improper use of the property

Do you offer your tenants a proper dryer (as opposed to a washer/dryer combo)? At least part of the reason why I dont particularly bother with the dryer is that the dryer in a washer/dryer combo is next to useless for anything more substantial than underwear. My last place had a proper dryer and it was a much better option.

djimi wrote: »
    Do you offer your tenants a proper dryer (as opposed to a washer/dryer combo)? At least part of the reason why I dont particularly bother with the dryer is that the dryer in a washer/dryer combo is next to useless for anything more substantial than underwear. My last place had a proper dryer and it was a much better option.

Separate 8kg dryers which is more than the washing machines. There is one tenant that still dries her clothes inside who just lives like an animal. She has MS so I know some of it is difficult for her to do on occasion but it is mostly down to they way she likes to live.

• Advertisement

Thats fair enough. A lot of tenants dry clothes on clothes horses indoors because the alternative provided for them is simply not up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Thats fair enough. A lot of tenants dry clothes on clothes horses indoors because the alternative provided for them is simply not up to the job.

Or there is no alternative. No outside drying is allowed in my place.

I run a dehumidifier.

Or there is no alternative. No outside drying is allowed in my place.

I run a dehumidifier.

By law you must be provided with an alternative where no outside drying is possible (assuming you are renting).

By law you must be provided with an alternative where no outside drying is possible (assuming you are renting).

Yeah, I know that.

There is an outside deck, but the management company rules forbid visible drying of clothes on it. Luckily it's not enforced (that I've noticed).

I find the dehumidifier really handy though.

Yeah, I know that.

There is an outside deck, but the management company rules forbid visible drying of clothes on it. Luckily it's not enforced (that I've noticed).

I find the dehumidifier really handy though.

Then you don't have a place to dry clothes. The LL has to provide a dryer

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Then you don't have a place to dry clothes. The LL has to provide a dryer

I figured that would be the case, but there really isn't space for a separate dryer (which are the only ones that really work in my experience, unless there have been significant advances in the last few years), and my landlord is so sound and responsive to any other issues there have been that I wouldn't like to burden him with this until and unless the washing machine packs up.

I bought the dehumidifier and it keeps condensation under control as long as it's used regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eddie2008

I have my apartment rented. Had lived in it for about 8 years, and not a single mold problem. Then i rent it out and within a few months the tenant calls regarding mold. The state of the place was a lot worse than the photos presented here. I almost cried, it was everywhere. The tenant had covered up all the vents and the condensation on the windows was dripping. I asked him about the ventilation and he looked at me is if I had two heads, how dare i blame him etc.

The issue as already mentioned was that he was trying to save money. In addition, they didnt no the importance of putting the fan on while cooking. His wife was cooking at the time, no fan on - hence windows dripping.

Condensation on windows is a clear sign you are NOT ventilating the rooms properly, which I notice on one of the posters photos.

It took me about 20 mins to clean up as I arrived armed with a bottle of bleach. Just add to a damp cloth and apply to area. It will disappear in minutes. And ventilate.

Eddie2008 wrote: »
    I have my apartment rented. Had lived in it for about 8 years, and not a single mold problem. Then i rent it out and within a few months the tenant calls regarding mold. The state of the place was a lot worse than the photos presented here. I almost cried, it was everywhere. The tenant had covered up all the vents and the condensation on the windows was dripping. I asked him about the ventilation and he looked at me is if I had two heads, how dare i blame him etc.

The issue as already mentioned was that he was trying to save money. In addition, they didnt no the importance of putting the fan on while cooking. His wife was cooking at the time, no fan on - hence windows dripping.

Condensation on windows is a clear sign you are NOT ventilating the rooms properly, which I notice on one of the posters photos.

It took me about 20 mins to clean up as I arrived armed with a bottle of bleach. Just add to a damp cloth and apply to area. It will disappear in minutes. And ventilate.

Right so having the vents not covered and open, having the windows open during the day until the evening when it gets to cold and having the heat on everyday and evening isnt good enough?

Bathroom fans are always used and window left open for a while after showers and always using the fan when cooking also isnt good enough either?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

brembo26 wrote: »
    Right so having the vents not covered and open, having the windows open during the day until the evening when it gets to cold and having the heat on everyday and evening isnt good enough?

Bathroom fans are always used and window left open for a while after showers and always using the fan when cooking also isnt good enough either?

Is he your landlord or something?

If you are definitely ventilating adequately and not drying clothes indoors then you have a more serious issue and shoudl notify the landlord, in writing, with a reasonable date you expect it to be fixed. If it is not done then move out, giving proper notice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eddie2008

The thing with mold is it wont go away till you kill it, not clean even if you are start ventitlating. There are sprays out there, but bleach is a cheaper option provided you are not applying to coloured areas. For that perhaps try the sprays, even dettol spray would work.

When you have killed the mold, ensure the place is dry (ie your heating is working...) and let the air in, which I understand you are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Rosier

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Separate 8kg dryers which is more than the washing machines. There is one tenant that still dries her clothes inside who just lives like an animal. She has MS so I know some of it is difficult for her to do on occasion but it is mostly down to they way she likes to live.

I am sorry if this is off thread but I have never been so shocked at a post as b y this one.

Please God the lady is not on boards to be degraded like this. The comment was not necessary or relevant to the thread

Advertisement