Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running Windows 95/98 on windows 7

Options
  • 13-11-2013 3:42pm
    Site Banned Posts: 7

Does anyone know if there is any good emulators or compatibility programs to run Windows 98 games on windows 7 without the need of dual booting??
    I have a windows 95/98 game on a cd rom and I installed it on my windows 7 laptop This worked no problem, however, the issue is with actually opening and playing the game.
    I tried that thing in the start menu for "run programs made for previous versions of windows" and it wasn't working ... I also went and right clicked on the ico and clicked compatibility in properties and clicked on Win98 and 256 colour bit and run as admin ... the game will open and go to the main menu but when I try to click start or click on the option menu at the start nothing happens ...
    HELP PLEAAASSEEE

If I do have to resort to dual booting or creating a partition, will it split my harddrive down the middle or will I be able to choose how much HD is assigned to my WIN98 partition, if I do create such a partition, can I choose to delete it later ??

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭invaderzimirl

use virtual box and install windows on it..

https://www.virtualbox.org/

just open it when you want to run the games, also make an iso of the disk and load the image onto the virtual box machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭theedude27

use virtual box and install windows on it..

https://www.virtualbox.org/

just open it when you want to run the games, also make an iso of the disk and load the image onto the virtual box machine

Will this also work for games that were originally DOS-based and released in the early 90's?:)

• Site Banned Posts: 7 100 Percent Technologicaly Ignorant

theedude27 wrote: »
    Will this also work for games that were originally DOS-based and released in the early 90's?:)

Game was release 1999 I think and expansion pack in 2000.

I have both installed in windows 7.

I right click on icon

Go to compatibility in properties

Select windows 98 and fiddled around with colour bit

game will open

I can get to the main menu of game but no further (ie, when I try to click on options or buttons nothing happens)

yes. it will create a complete virtual Windows 95/98 system and it will work just like it would if you booted directly to it.

for DOS based game one of the otheres on here was saying dosbox is good but i havent used it yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭theedude27

yes. it will create a complete virtual Windows 95/98 system and it will work just like it would if you booted directly to it.

for DOS based game one of the otheres on here was saying dosbox is good but i havent used it yet

I tried this specific game (Shadow President) using dosbox on both Windows Vista and 7 and re-setting the compatibility mode but it didnt work on either of them. I'm pretty sure I already have virtualbox installed on my Windows 7 laptop for no reason whatsoever so I'll be giving it a try tonight:D

• Advertisement

Can you be a bit more specific about the vitual box ??? I have it installed just need a bit more help.

How d I create the image?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Can you be a bit more specific about the vitual box ??? I have it installed just need a bit more help.

How d I create the image?

You would need a Windows 98 CD (bootable would be handy) and a license key. If the CD is not bootable you'll need to find a DOS bootdisk (floppy image) with a CD-ROM driver, and execute the setup.exe from the CD Drive

Nick

once you download the program and install it from virtualbox

you can create a virtual computer on your system.
    then install the windows 98 system from your cd onto the virtual system

here is a your tube tutorial only difference is where they have their Key blacked out ou will use your own Key

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

What's the game?

I've never been able to run Star Trek Armada on Vista or 7. Turns out that it was an nVidia driver issue. A different driver version sorted it. Was a pain in the ass on a laptop, but it worked.

No Pants wrote: »
    What's the game?

I've never been able to run Star Trek Armada on Vista or 7. Turns out that it was an nVidia driver issue. A different driver version sorted it. Was a pain in the ass on a laptop, but it worked.

It's Roller Coaster Tycoon and the expansion pack.

I got DOsBox but online tutorials are telling me that I need a Windows 98 .img. Isn't downloading / torrenting illegal though ?? If I have to download / or somehow get the OS anyway, then I might as well just create a whole partition or dual boot. Because if I had the OS in the first place I'd just create a partition.

I've tried adjusting the compatibility and properties, the game will go as far as the main menu, however, when I try to click on an option, it won't open.

I am having zero luck with DosBox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

you can get roller coaster games from GOG which states that it will work fine on win 7, costs about a fiver each up to roller coaster 3.

Same games, just tweaked to run on new pc's without needing discs etc

Skatedude wrote: »
    you can get roller coaster games from GOG which states that it will work fine on win 7, costs about a fiver each up to roller coaster 3.

So RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 will work on windows 7 without needing an eumlator or anything like that ?? Are you 100% sure ?? :D

What is GOG ?

I'd prefer to have a physical disk too and not muddle around with online purchasing ... I'm afraid of being stung. 3V Vouchers only come in minimum of 20 Quid too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

What is GOG ?

http://www.gog.com/ is a site that sells older and classic PC games that will work on modern computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Forget DOSBox and virtualisation, this is the path to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

GOG is definitely the way to go as they sell them configured for modern operating systems

Advertisement