Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car tyres in KIlkenny - recommendations?

Options
  • 13-11-2013 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone have any recommendations for cheap tyres in KK city or around the area? Got them off TC tyres a few years ago, and kind of remember them being saucy enough price wise. There's a guy out the Callan road out near Cuffesgrange, has anyone used him or have any other recommendations?
    Thanks in advance

PS and yes I know that you probably get what you pay for, and yes I know that tyres are the only part of the car touching the road so they are important etc !
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Hey

I have used the guys out callan road last 2 changes and have been happy with them. Price wise they are deffo cheaper than any of the tyre places in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

There is a guy across from the train station beside the church that does part worn the GF got 2 tyres off him for 60 euro they were in good nick and you can pick whatever tyres you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Cheap tyres generally means rubbish tyres to be honest. Any reputable brands like goodyear, michelin, pirellis etc will be dearer than chinese brands. I'd recommend Atb on the hebron road.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Couldn't agree more with Barney, you get what you pay for. If you can find the extra money for a decent brand spend it, especially if you do a bit of travelling. Bought 2 cheap ones before and they wore out before the older 2 that were on the car beforehand. The savings only end up being short term.

Most places will give you the option of cheap, middle and pricier tire. Which generally translates into poor, ok and decent

You can get good part worn brand tyres that usually have come off scrapped cars if you pick out your own you can pick up the branded tyres. I got Goodyear and Continental part worn that were like brand new so it's worth asking can you pick out the tyres you want and most places will let you do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I'd recommend Atb on the hebron road.

+1 They're sound in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

S28382 wrote: »
    There is a guy across from the train station beside the church that does part worn the GF got 2 tyres off him for 60 euro they were in good nick and you can pick whatever tyres you want.

Won't touch them again with a barge-pole, the tyres I got were barely passable from for the NCT, both were fail advisory but the whole set up looks cowboyish and the guys putting on my types practically welded the nuts to the wheel and busted a clip on the wheel arch. (nothing too serious but made banging noise that they ignored, "nothing to do with them")

I know you have to balance the price with the service but won't go back there.

Also very difficult to get matching tyres when second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Atb?? Thumbs down from me. Look somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

padyjoe wrote: »
    Atb?? Thumbs down from me. Look somewhere else.

I buy online from camskill and get Atb to fit. Never had a problem with them they are sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭corcadorcha

Have always used TC Tyres and have found them good. The have also balanced wheels etc if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Always used tc in the past and no complaints. But last 2 times used guy on callan road. Tyreland I think, and was happy enough. First used him cos he was cheapest for continentals but second time got lesser known brand on my work bus - continentals were for the family car. Could recommend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NoGutsNoGlory

you cant beat pitlane tyres beside perri perri chicken, on the hebron rd. great value and great service .... cheaper than TC as well ( i find the staff in TC can be rude as well )

Dymo wrote: »
    Won't touch them again with a barge-pole, the tyres I got were barely passable from for the NCT, both were fail advisory but the whole set up looks cowboyish and the guys putting on my types practically welded the nuts to the wheel and busted a clip on the wheel arch. (nothing too serious but made banging noise that they ignored, "nothing to do with them")

I know you have to balance the price with the service but won't go back there.

Also very difficult to get matching tyres when second hand.

I found him grand he talks alot but he is friendly. We asked could we pick out out tyres and he had no problem with it so we got branded tyres that were in very good condition and they passed the NCT no problems. Im sure there is times when people do get caught out but i cant say a bad word about the place in the dealing we had with him.
    you cant beat pitlane tyres beside perri perri chicken, on the hebron rd. great value and great service .... cheaper than TC as well ( i find the staff in TC can be rude as well )

I agree about the staff in TC tyres i got my tyres balanced in there about 2yrs ago and the guy seemed like he had no interest in what he was doing and he was telling me i should get original wheel nuts for the car or else id ruin the alloy??????? the nuts were the same nuts that belonged to the alloy so he was talking thru his arse. I havent gone back there since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

+ 1 for Pit Lane Tyres. I usually get my tyres there and have always been happy with them. I always ring around a few places first and Pit Lane usually comes in cheapest for what I'm looking for.

Went to Tyreland once too when I got the best price there and again was happy with the tyres and the service. Waiting area there too where you can make yourself tea or coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 billyboswell

paddy in pitlane sound and vey good on price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I was told that one bought the best tyres you could afford, your life is in those tyres.
    Scrapped car tyres, scrapped or crashed? Any unseen structural damage to the walls?
    Remoulds, as a youngster it was about the best I could afford, apparently London Taxi's were permitted to use remoulds, but would I use them for fast travel, don't think so.
    Cheap new tyres, why so? At one time the big manufacturers did discount brands, using a different name, they we had firms like Kwik Fit using their own brands, of course cheaper.
    Now the selection today is from various sources, but could someone give us a run down of the good the bad and the ugly, please

Advertisement