Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

LukeyKid wrote: »
    I was wondering is there a way to back up your phone like a pc were if you f*** up something you can just run that back up and your back to the exact way your were before no matter what you f***** up ?

Nandroid back-up, with custom recovery, made before you phucked-up the phone :D

No point after that!!!

So, make the back-up when you are happy with your phone, and make sure you store it in a safe place, preferably off the phone, on your PC for example....no external SD card here!!!

Quick Boot App can give you fast access to Recovery, or Bootloader.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Nandroid back-up, with custom recovery, made before you phucked-up the phone :D

No point after that!!!

So, make the back-up when you are happy with your phone, and make sure you store it in a safe place, preferably off the phone, on your PC for example....no external SD card here!!!

Quick Boot App can give you fast access to Recovery, or Bootloader.......

ahh yeah i was hoping that there were ones like that, rooted or the bootloader unlocked so you could just restore to before you done any of that if needed ? :P and im a noob when it comes to rooting phones and all i dont no much about it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

For anyone looking for Otterbox cases, seems Mobilefun got some in, my white case dispatched and the black cases are in stock too now so worth checking out if you've been on the lookout.

Black Commuter
    White Commuter
    Defender

I believe if you buy something there you can get a referral ticket for a small discount so if you get one, think about sharing with others. If I figure out how to find mine (I didn't sign up) I'll share with whoever wants it.

ahh yeah i was hoping that there were ones like that, rooted or the bootloader unlocked so you could just restore to before you done any of that if needed ? :P and im a noob when it comes to rooting phones and all i dont no much about it :P

You'll learn Luke....

like us all, by mistakes!!! everyone makes at least one!!!

everyone was a noob too.....

happy rooting/unlocking/flashing/whatever!!!

enjoy. ;) :P

You'll learn Luke....

like us all, by mistakes!!! everyone makes at least one!!!

everyone was a noob too.....

happy rooting/unlocking/flashing/whatever!!!

enjoy. ;) :P

Haha Thanks :) im fairly certain i can do most of it with out no problems with the proper instructions but its just the fact once i unlock the boot-loader my warranty is gone and that just puts me off doing it, if the boot-loader was already unlocked id happily do it because if i'm not mistake you can un-root your phone with out no body knowing ? i just dont have the money to buy another phone if i phuck up haha :P well not at the moment anyways :P

Haha Thanks :) im fairly certain i can do most of it with out no problems with the proper instructions but its just the fact once i unlock the boot-loader my warranty is gone and that just puts me off doing it, if the boot-loader was already unlocked id happily do it because if i'm not mistake you can un-root your phone with out no body knowing ? i just dont have the money to buy another phone if i phuck up haha :P well not at the moment anyways :P

Hi Luke....

If you read my posting history, you will see that this BS about unlocking the bootloader voids your warranty is just that....... BullShyte.....strictly for the American market.

Big business, like Apple, have had to modify their warranty, under pressure from EU consumer and Governments.

Your contract is with the retailer who sold the phone to you, and nobody else!!

In the EU, there is such a thing as a Statutory Warranty, which protects the consumer, you and me, from this sort of crap being propagandized by the big Manufacturers and Retailers.......

you cannot harm your phone by properly unlocking the bootloader, and there are instructions on the Moto site.....

follow them, and you will not brick your phone!!!!

Rooting your phone/device causes no harm, when done as per instructions....

I advise you to check out Modaco and XDA for proper instructions, and do it....

you will not regret, as per custom ROM's and Apps you can now install, which give you a completely new experience......

even just being in the community gives you a lot!!!

But, you must read, and understand, and carry out, all instructions given there....

nobody will support you if you do not listen and heed or ignore instructions.....

but, if you make mistakes, and think all is lost, there is always someone to help you, believe me!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I was wondering is there a way to back up your phone like a pc were if you f*** up something you can just run that back up and your back to the exact way your were before no matter what you f***** up ?

For most android phones the method I use is Root the phone if not already rooted, then install safestrap recovery. This then allows you to have multiple images on the phone and can backup restore switch etc.

dolallyoh wrote: »
    For most android phones the method I use is Root the phone if not already rooted, then install safestrap recovery. This then allows you to have multiple images on the phone and can backup restore switch etc.

Have you tried this app on Moto G running KitKat??

I don't think it works, perhaps I'm wrong??

http://www.rootzwiki.com/topic/104161-recovery-locked-safestrap-recovery-v365-2013-11-13/

But CWM or TWRP have full backup and restore.

It's not as if you can't unlock Moto G bootloader, that's easy.

And, you cant root without unlocking boot loader!!!

So, why??

Nope - haven't tried it .

Nope - haven't tried it .

So, if you have not done it on this phone, Moto G, which we are discussing, it is difficult to understand your recommendation...

particularly as you must unlock bootloader to achieve root....

what advantage would SS have over CWM or TWRP custom recoverys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 wordisbond

So by ordering off Meteor online, and selecting "Get new number", there will be no sim inserted and i will be able to put in my three sim and off i go?

Am I understanding this right, I can buy the phone off their site and stick my 3 sim in without having to unlock?

I asked about this in a meteor store yesterday and they said no, that the phone would be locked to meteor even before I insert any sim.

If the phone comes in a box with the sim seperate, how can the phone be locked to meteor?

Edit: a few people have mentioned that is the case from uk providers etc. Anybody any success with the irish meteor store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

wordisbond wrote: »
    Am I understanding this right, I can buy the phone off their site and stick my 3 sim in without having to unlock?

I asked about this in a meteor store yesterday and they said no, that the phone would be locked to meteor even before I insert any sim.

If the phone comes in a box with the sim seperate, how can the phone be locked to meteor?

Edit: a few people have mentioned that is the case from uk providers etc. Anybody any success with the irish meteor store?

People who have ordered from Meteor have found that the phone will lock to the first card inserted in it i.e. put your 3 sim in it first, it will lock to that network.

However, this can change at any time. The next batch from Meteor could all be locked to Meteor. I am surprised it has not happened yet. If it does, you can get it unlocked from ebay for 3e.

Does anyone know if there are any official mainstream ROMs like Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android? I wouldn't mind checking them out but I don't want the associated stability problems or battery drain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Splish Splashing

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any official mainstream ROMs like Cyanogenmod or Paranoid Android? I wouldn't mind checking them out but I don't want the associated stability problems or battery drain.

There is... Cyanogenmod.

There is... Cyanogenmod.
    I've only seen unofficial builds so far.

Hi Luke....

If you read my posting history, you will see that this BS about unlocking the bootloader voids your warranty is just that....... BullShyte.....strictly for the American market.

Big business, like Apple, have had to modify their warranty, under pressure from EU consumer and Governments.

Your contract is with the retailer who sold the phone to you, and nobody else!!

In the EU, there is such a thing as a Statutory Warranty, which protects the consumer, you and me, from this sort of crap being propagandized by the big Manufacturers and Retailers.......

you cannot harm your phone by properly unlocking the bootloader, and there are instructions on the Moto site.....

follow them, and you will not brick your phone!!!!

Rooting your phone/device causes no harm, when done as per instructions....

I advise you to check out Modaco and XDA for proper instructions, and do it....

you will not regret, as per custom ROM's and Apps you can now install, which give you a completely new experience......

even just being in the community gives you a lot!!!

But, you must read, and understand, and carry out, all instructions given there....

nobody will support you if you do not listen and heed or ignore instructions.....

but, if you make mistakes, and think all is lost, there is always someone to help you, believe me!!!!

Okay if i still have warranty with it ill do it no bother :) ill just really be taking my time because i don't want nothing to go wrong :P haha and thanks alot for the help and explaining that much appreciated :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Splish Splashing

I've only seen unofficial builds so far.
    What makes it un/official?

I have CM11 installed. Nice amount of customisation options but it seems my 3G won't work which is... quite a major bug really.

Okay if i still have warranty with it ill do it no bother :) ill just really be taking my time because i don't want nothing to go wrong :P haha and thanks alot for the help and explaining that much appreciated :)

OK Luke!!!

Just remember, there is always risk, when rooting, flashing and generally messin with Android devices, so be sure to read, and then read again.....

usually something will go wrong :( but not to the extent it cannot be retrieved :)

there is lots of help, here as well, but mostly on the sites I linked earlier.....Modaco and XDA.

Happy messin (with the kid).

See Rory play it here:

http://youtu.be/uJCUKh-IToo

What makes it un/official?

I have CM11 installed. Nice amount of customisation options but it seems my 3G won't work which is... quite a major bug really.
    I don't see it listed on the Cyanogenmod site. As in it's just a user project rather than an official work in progress. I just don't want to install an experimental/homebrew build because I use my phone on a day to day basis. I'll hold out for something a little more solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Picked up a Black S Line Soft Gel Grip case from eBay Ireland and must say fits and feels great. Cant go wrong for €3. :pac:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181319680234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Picked up a Black S Line Soft Gel Grip case from eBay Ireland and must say fits and feels great. Cant go wrong for €3. :pac:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181319680234?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Thanks mate, just bought one, already dispatched!!! Seems good seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

coldfire1x wrote: »

€4.50 :P (£2.69/€3.29 + Postage £0.99/€1.21).....

that's very dear ;)

Where's the speaker slot?

compare_cases.jpg

So, if you have not done it on this phone, Moto G, which we are discussing, it is difficult to understand your recommendation...

particularly as you must unlock bootloader to achieve root....

what advantage would SS have over CWM or TWRP custom recoverys?

I was in the car at the time, you don't have to go on about it. I was just saying what I usually do on an android phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

I am waiting for a tesco UK moto g locked. Will it update to kitkat when I unlock it and put a Vodafone sim in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

ezra_pound wrote: »
    I am waiting for a tesco UK moto g locked. Will it update to kitkat when I unlock it and put a Vodafone sim in?
    It should even update over WiFi with no SIM in it.

I was in the car at the time, you don't have to go on about it. I was just saying what I usually do on an android phone.

OK, sorry to nag ya, no offence, I can be a pain sometimes, I know ;)

Peace??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

daytob wrote: »
    dealz have a little stand for android. plug into the laptop or charging plug and you can stand it charging. works a treat too. ill up a picture later. 1.49

Can you post a pic if you're still watching this thread?

I can't find any smartphone stand on their site, there's only a stand for tablets.

€4.50 :P (£2.69/€3.29 + Postage £0.99/€1.21).....

that's very dear ;)

Where's the speaker slot?

The one I ordered includes a Stylus Pen & Screen Film as well. So not that dear ;)

Good point about the speaker. Lets see how it looks when it comes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

The one I ordered includes a Stylus Pen & Screen Film as well. So not that dear ;)

I have one of those kind of styluses, it seemed to lose effect and come apart after a while.

• Advertisement

Not worried about the stylus, I ordered for the hard case it just happened to be free with that.

OK, sorry to nag ya, no offence, I can be a pain sometimes, I know ;)

Peace??

Lol - for sure, you know a lot more than I do about these yokes ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I think I got the same one from Amazon for around a fiver. It had two styluses, a screen protector and a cover. The brand was "supergets".

Absolute junk, threw it in the bin after ten minutes of inspecting it. It's a ripoff at a fiver and even that's a compliment to the quality of it.

Damn... fiver in the drain :(

Just go for a premium case like Otterbox, it'll last and survive falls and they'll replace it if it ever breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

Anybody having problems turning off the vibrations on touch?

I've gone into settings --> sounds and vibrate on touch is switched off, but it still vibrates when I use the touchpad.

Very annoying when using the phone when the other half is asleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Anybody having problems turning off the vibrations on touch?

I've gone into settings --> sounds and vibrate on touch is switched off, but it still vibrates when I use the touchpad.

Very annoying when using the phone when the other half is asleep!
    You also need to turn off vibrate on touch in your Google keyboard. So settings/Language and input/ click on Google keyboard settings/ Untick vibrate on keypress and your done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭corsav6

I think I got the same one from Amazon for around a fiver. It had two styluses, a screen protector and a cover. The brand was "supergets".

Absolute junk, threw it in the bin after ten minutes of inspecting it. It's a ripoff at a fiver and even that's a compliment to the quality of it.

Got the same 1 I think, feels a little cheap but when fitted with screen protector its sound, and it actually looks cool. I dropped the phone a few times and its hasn't broke yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

Is there anyway of setting the volume buttons to control The playback volume only?

If there is no media curretly playing the buttons change the phones ringer volume.

This is a pain the ass IMO, as I would like the ringer volume to stay at max.

And waiting for a video to play before you can turn down the volume is not ideal.

I know you can change both volumes individually by going into settings - sounds - volumes, but that's a long winded way of doing it. I would Prefer to change the "Media Volume" at all times using the volume buttons.

waveform wrote: »
    I know you can change both volumes individually by going into settings - sounds - volumes, but that's a long winded way of doing it. I would Prefer to change the "Media Volume" at all times using the volume buttons.
    Custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod have the 3 volume controls as standard. There are so many little details like this I can't believe Google miss on the stock ROM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tiegan

Custom ROMs like Cyanogenmod have the 3 volume controls as standard. There are so many little details like this I can't believe Google miss on the stock ROM.

Can anyone please post a link on the best Cyanogenmod download for moto g? On their website this phone is not on the supported phones list, so was hoping someone who had already successfully downloaded this could help.
    Also a link to "how to do this" would be very handy for a non tech savvy poster!!
    Thanks in advance :)

tiegan wrote: »
    Can anyone please post a link on the best Cyanogenmod download for moto g? On their website this phone is not on the supported phones list, so was hoping someone who had already successfully downloaded this could help.
    Also a link to "how to do this" would be very handy for a non tech savvy poster!!
    Thanks in advance :)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2608377

This is an unofficial build, honestly I don't feel comfortable using it when there are still bugs but there isn't a bug free version out yet. I really hope this gets picked up as an official build because I miss CM's features. Even better if there's a good Paranoid Android build out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I had CM7 on an old HTC desire and I thought it was the business. I would like to see an official CM11 on the moto g though. I like a ROM for the most part being bug free so until either an official or very stable unofficial port comes out I'll hold off. I was gonna flash the Google play moto g ROM but then I didn't because what we already have is just as stock to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tiegan

mondeo wrote: »
    I had CM7 on an old HTC desire and I thought it was the business. I would like to see an official CM11 on the moto g though. I like a ROM for the most part being bug free so until either an official or very stable unofficial port comes out I'll hold off. I was gonna flash the Google play moto g ROM but then I didn't because what we already have is just as stock to be honest.

Thanks for helpful info, in my case I think best to wait for either of the above solutions - please post when either are available :)

My ear speaker is going very crackily anyway to fix this your self ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Hey guys. Anyone know the cheapest way of getting this phone right now? Would love 16gb but can settle for 8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Colibri wrote: »
    Hey guys. Anyone know the cheapest way of getting this phone right now? Would love 16gb but can settle for 8 :)

I'm waiting for my brother to get it from Tesco UK. His mate can get 10% off. You could order it from the UK and have ParcelMotel send it to a unit near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

red_bairn wrote: »
    I'm waiting for my brother to get it from Tesco UK. His mate can get 10% off. You could order it from the UK and have ParcelMotel send it to a unit near you.

Thanks man. Will look into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

First few hours with moto g and love it. Unlocked no problems from tesco UK. Cover is a super app. Loving it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭corsav6

ezra_pound wrote: »
    First few hours with moto g and love it. Unlocked no problems from tesco UK. Cover is a super app. Loving it!

Is Cover the lock screen app? I have the phone a few weeks and its the sh*t, better than my gnex.

Advertisement