Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

juke wrote: »
    No - it's not even listed. Battery drained again last night - 100% to 26%,
    Android OS 43%,
    Android system 8%,
    Mobile stand by 5%,
    Motorola assist 5%
    What is the Keep Awake time under Android OS? You may have a wake lock issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

advertsfox wrote: »
    What is the Keep Awake time under Android OS? You may have a wake lock issue.

6h 45m 41s. How would I solve that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

6h 45m 41s. How would I solve that?
    Install Wakelock Detector and see what's keeping your phone awake. There's a lovely widget that shows you too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uzumapps.wakelockdetector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭T-Bird

T-Bird wrote: »
    I just tried it and it don’t work anymore, they must have done something in the nightly to mess it up.

Edit: I just found that nightly from 19th Feb is working fine am and using that now.

MMS working again in the 27feb nightly. Pink kernel not working with it until next pink update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭corsav6

Install Wakelock Detector and see what's keeping your phone awake. There's a lovely widget that shows you too.

I had to use this for a custom ROM on gnex when android os was killing my battery, ended up doing a full wipe to cure it.

Mine's not rooted - so it won't work I've downloaded a similar tye apps, tho' so I'll see if it shows what's happening.
    corsav6 wrote: »
    I had to use this for a custom ROM on gnex when android os was killing my battery, ended up doing a full wipe to cure it.

Full wipe - as in factory re-set?

Mine's not rooted - so it won't work I've downloaded a similar tye apps, tho' so I'll see if it shows what's happening.

Full wipe - as in factory re-set?

Factory reset, but the problem came back after a week. It's more than likely an app that's causing it so xda recommend full wipe and install your apps 1 by 1 until you see what's causing it. Did this happen after the update by any chance?

No - once before, twice after. It must be an app causing it, but I don't think I've downloaded anything recently.

I guess maybe it's a result of an update on one I already had. I'll have to monitor it. Factory re-set would be a headache :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

corsav6 wrote: »
    Start up screen still says "Motorolla, a Google company".

Not surprising as the deal has yet to be approved in the U.S. and China, and even if it does get approval, will take all sorts of time before that happens. Remember when Google announced plans to acquire Motorola in August of 2011, but that the deal wasn’t approved until the following May. For now, it is business as usual for Motorola and Google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Updated my MotoG. The only thing I noticed that is different so far is how the calender app behaves. Before I used to hold down my finger on a date and it would prompt me to input the event and select the time of day I wanted a notification. Now if I tap the date it takes me to a list of upcoming events, and if I long press it prompts me to enter an event for the entire day. I have to select 'edit' and then enter more precise event info. Anybody notice anything else?

Just noticed embedded YouTube videos on boards touch are blank using chrome. I used to be able to play them in the browser. I have played embedded YouTube videos on other sites. Anybody else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

Since the update my phone isnt automatically going to 3G coverage when I leave Wifi. I've had to restart the phone to get 3G.

Anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Since the update my phone isnt automatically going to 3G coverage when I leave Wifi. I've had to restart the phone to get 3G.

Anyone else having this problem?

yeah ive had it for months. dont no how to fix it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭kam3qnwvebf4jh

Since the update my phone has periodically presented me with the sim unlock screen with zero bars, so I assume it Has restarted in my pocket. Don't know for sure if it is related but prior to the upgrade it never happened once. I still think it's a super phone though!

Just noticed since the update that when typing on viber I get serious lag, sometimes I can type 3 words and nothing appears on screen for a few seconds. I never had this problem before the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Why are people using Cyanogenmod over the stock ROM? Personal preference or are there problems with the stock?

The only reason I moved on my Wildfire was because the version would not allow you to install to the SD but in later versions that was fixed.

The big bro is buying the Moto G 16GB in Tesco next week for me. I can't wait to throw this Wildfire into the Liffey...

Cant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Why are people using Cyanogenmod over the stock ROM? Personal preference or are there problems with the stock?

The only reason I moved on my Wildfire was because the version would not allow you to install to the SD but in later versions that was fixed.

The big bro is buying the Moto G 16GB in Tesco next week for me. I can't wait to throw this Wildfire into the Liffey...

Cant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Googlarola are aware of the 3g issue and are working on resolving the issue. So say some on XDA forums.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665196

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Googlarola are aware of the 3g issue and are working on resolving the issue. So say some on XDA forums.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2665196

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wordisbond

Just wanted to pop in here and say that I bought the phone from Meteors online store on Thursday. Also bought the €3 cover mentioned here. Both are great and arrived Friday morning. I popped my 3 sim in and worked. No problem

One thing that might save some people a bit of worry. I let the battery run completely dead. Not sure if that's good practice but my thinking was a full charge from flat would be good?

Anyway when the phone went dead it seemed like it wouldn't charge, nothing on screen even when holding power button etc. I was a bit worried.

Found a solution after searching around the web: Put the phone on charge with a wall charger and hold the power button for about 2 minutes until the led light comes on. Leave the phone alone then for another while and it should charge up grand and you can turn your phone on again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

EDIT, there was a post from Grimebox asking the following, but it has gone :confused:

This:
    Anybody know how to disable the auto system update? It constantly restarted my phone if I try install it. I managed to get it to stop that but I'm constantly getting nagged to install it again

so just in case he or anyone else needs to know this.......

AFAIK, you can stop the auto update notification by disabling "show notifications" in Settings/Apps/All....MotorolaOTA app.

[uncheck Show Notification] there, see below:

Screenshot_2014-03-02-02-24-04.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My battery calibration seems to be out, a few times this week I have noticed that the battery is showing only 97% charged having been left to charge over night.

Anyone got a solution?

invest4deepvalue.com

Is there anyway I can get the name of a sender of a message to appear on the lock screen? All I get is a tiny notification in the task bar, and a beep.

Is there anyway I can get the name of a sender of a message to appear on the lock screen? All I get is a tiny notification in the task bar, and a beep.

I think this app may do this and more.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roymam.android.notificationswidget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

wordisbond wrote: »
    Just wanted to pop in here and say that I bought the phone from Meteors online store on Thursday. Also bought the €3 cover mentioned here. Both are great and arrived Friday morning. I popped my 3 sim in and worked. No problem

One thing that might save some people a bit of worry. I let the battery run completely dead. Not sure if that's good practice but my thinking was a full charge from flat would be good?

Anyway when the phone went dead it seemed like it wouldn't charge, nothing on screen even when holding power button etc. I was a bit worried.

Found a solution after searching around the web: Put the phone on charge with a wall charger and hold the power button for about 2 minutes until the led light comes on. Leave the phone alone then for another while and it should charge up grand and you can turn your phone on again.

AFAIK Completely discharges were for older battery types. Not lithium-ion battery.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/07/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-way/

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-to-treat-your-smartphones-battery-right-71981818317.html

From Motorola themselves...
    Back to Previous Page

How do I properly charge my device?

In order to keep the price low, Motorola made many cost-saving decisons. In this case, our research showed that many people already had a suitable Motorola charger available, or a PC or other device that can be used to charge Moto G.

Any Motorola charger with the correct micro-USB tip will charge your Moto G. You will see the best results when the output of the charger is between 500 mA and 1.5 A. The higher the output, the faster your Moto G will charge.

If your charger output is higher, the MOTO G will automatically restrict the charging rate. If your charger is lower, it will simply take longer to reach a full charge.

Note: Some Non-Motorola charger fail to comply with USB Standards and as a result may cause device performance issues when connected to your Moto G. If you are experiencing issues please try either a different charger or connect device directly to a computer using a Micro-USB data cable.

If you are just setting up your device, new batteries are not fully charged. After connecting the charger, it may take several seconds to start charging the battery.

If your battery is completely discharged, it may take several minutes for the device to begin charging. The battery needs to charge to a minimum voltage before the system can boot up, and this may take a few moments to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Wifi hotspot trouble.... My tablet can connect to my WiFi hotspot on my phone but isn't drawing any data? Tried to connect two other devices to my phone to with similar results? I am on meteor prepay.... Have meteor blocked tethering for pre pay users or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

anyone notice a big drop off with battery, It used to last over 2 days between charges now only getting 24hrs out of it. No new apps downloaded, same usage, notice a 30% drop in battery over night when not used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I am having an issue with 2G/3G internet also. Cant connect at all. SIM is with Meteor and we have messed about with APNs etc to no avail. We are going to bring the phone back to Meteor but haven't had a chance yet. Will post results ASAP

Sorted....
    It was a dodgy sim card

Do-more wrote: »
    My battery calibration seems to be out, a few times this week I have noticed that the battery is showing only 97% charged having been left to charge over night.

Anyone got a solution?

The phone went completely mad yesterday, it was almost fully charged and I connected up to my PC to USB tether and it powered off saying it had only 1% battery remaining. I disconnected it and powered it on again and it again powered itself off. Powered it on again but this time connected to the PC and within 5 minutes it went from showing 1% charge to fully charged.

Hoping it has now re-calibrated itself and there will be no more weirdness.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

Super phone by the way - I have a quick question.

I'm sure I redeemed the free Google Drive 50gb offer when I first logged into my Google account in the phone yet my Google Drive is still only showing the 15b default.

Any ideas if I can do anything now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

mondeo wrote: »
    Wifi hotspot trouble.... My tablet can connect to my WiFi hotspot on my phone but isn't drawing any data? Tried to connect two other devices to my phone to with similar results? I am on meteor prepay.... Have meteor blocked tethering for pre pay users or something?

Go to Settings More Wireless & networks

Data enabled should be ticked.

Go to Access Point Names

APN's should be
    data.mymeteor.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

josh59 wrote: »

I'm sure I redeemed the free Google Drive 50gb offer when I first logged into my Google account in the phone yet my Google Drive is still only showing the 15b default.

I think it's added when you first login to the Google Drive App on the phone. Not the phone itself.

Wow only 15b! You can store 'a' or maybe '1'. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

:
    degsie wrote: »
    Wow only 15b! You can store 'a' or maybe '1'. :)

:)

Yea. My extra 50 took a while to show up in drive. What I did to make sure I got it is I went into Google+ app and checked how much space I had left for photo backup. It showed the new 65 GB or whatever it is pretty much straight away. Think maybe next time I booted phone it was in drive app. Can't remember now.

Yea. My extra 50 took a while to show up in drive. What I did to make sure I got it is I went into Google+ app and checked how much space I had left for photo backup. It showed the new 65 GB or whatever it is pretty much straight away. Think maybe next time I booted phone it was in drive app. Can't remember now.

Your Drive app should show something like the attached, the bottom of the left panel shows what you have.

Your Drive app should show something like the attached, the bottom of the left panel shows what you have.

Yes. That was my point. That 65 GB figure doesn't show up for some time in the drive app. It stays at 15 GB. The Google + figure updates almost immediately.

Yes. That was my point. That 65 GB figure doesn't show up for some time in the drive app. It stays at 15 GB. The Google + figure updates almost immediately.

OK.....good call!!

In G+ go into Settings/Auto-backup.....

it shows under BACKUP STORAGE

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Help

My moto g turned itself off and now I can't get it to power on.

It is charged

• Advertisement

Anyone know of a good widget that would let me enable / disable mobile data with one press of a button?

I'm currently using the power widget but it lacks a data button:

MxhCRm.png

One big disadvantage of the stock UI is that you dont get those controls with one single swipe, on other phones they're above the notifications which i prefer, where as with stock android you need to swipe and press a button to get them up.

Also the contacts / calls UI on stock kitkat is horrible and awful to use imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Ziboo

waveform wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good widget that would let me enable / disable mobile data with one press of a button?

Powerful control will let you configure the widget including a switch for data
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.powerfulcontrol.free

Ziboo wrote: »
    Powerful control will let you configure the widget including a switch for data
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.powerfulcontrol.free

You absolute legend! Cheers!

It even added some controls to the notifications screen, wasnt expecting that!

Shame about the one click gps not working, it says google banned it.

But you can do it with the official power control gadget on the latest kitkat on the moto g.

I might email the developer asking if he could re-enable it, i doubt its banned anymore.

John Mason wrote: »
    Help

My moto g turned itself off and now I can't get it to power on.

It is charged

I had a similar problem a few weeks back, holding the power button and volume button at the same time for about 60 secs got it into recovery mode and I could get it to boot from there.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Does anyone find the accelerometer on their phone aggressively sensitive? I've had to force portrait most of the time using an app because it drives me nuts otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MxhCRm.png

One big disadvantage of the stock UI is that you dont get those controls with one single swipe, on other phones they're above the notifications which i prefer, where as with stock android you need to swipe and press a button to get them up.

Also the contacts / calls UI on stock kitkat is horrible and awful to use imo.

One swipe down from your top menu and long press on the network signal switches on and off data on stock.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    One swipe down from your top menu and long press on the network signal switches on and off data on stock.

It's more like swipe down, tap on user menu (top rhs) tap on mobile bars and then select mobile data on/off. So four actions, at least on mine.

Power Toggles does it wonderfully.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc

Bit ridiculous that the stock ROM is missing what I would consider pretty essential features. I've said this before in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

degsie wrote: »
    It's more like swipe down, tap on user menu (top rhs) tap on mobile bars and then select mobile data on/off. So four actions, at least on mine.

You're right, I'm still thinking of cyanogenmod ! 3 actions seems to be the shortest on stock..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Do-more wrote: »
    I had a similar problem a few weeks back, holding the power button and volume button at the same time for about 60 secs got it into recovery mode and I could get it to boot from there.

You legend thanks, I tried everything else

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You're right, I'm still thinking of cyanogenmod ! 3 actions seems to be the shortest on stock..
    The problem is there are no fully stable ROMs out there yet.

I've just rooted my device and running Xposed Framework with GravityBox, which has fixed a ton of problems for me (now the notification clock actually links to the clock app as it should...), while keeping things 100% stable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement