Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Ziboo wrote: »
    Powerful control will let you configure the widget including a switch for data
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.powerfulcontrol.free

Great app.

Pulling down the notification bar with a 2 finger sweep gets you in to the settings direct also so that may help someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Great app.

Pulling down the notification bar with a 2 finger sweep gets you in to the settings direct also so that may help someone

Christ, I never knew that! Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Great app.

How did I not know that...? Great tip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Where should I get a case to protect the shell? I had a Wildfire S before this and it felt like a really old computer with Jelly Bean on it (or say Windows 7). It really couldn't handle it. Now it feels like I got some fit, athletic, super model in my hand that doesn't hesitate when flying from one app to the next. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

Has anyone been unlucky enough to drop and crack their screen yet?

I did and went into the phone repair shops. They've told me that the phone is too new so they havn't got replacement screens in stock yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭clickhere

I did and went into the phone repair shops. They've told me that the phone is too new so they havn't got replacement screens in stock yet.

Sorry for your trouble. My daughter done the same to her phone,still havent managed to find a replacement screen.If you manage to find one do let us know.

Did you have any case on it at the time?

I dont really like the bulk cases add but i'm afraid i could break the screen too one day.

Would only use a case that goes on the back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

This article http://www.atechieinchrist.com/2013/11/moto-g-is-here-cracked-screen.html?m=1 makes the point that a brand new moto g is cheaper than a replacement screen for many market leading phone.

This forum

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2544374

Features someone who contacted Motorola for repair. He ended up getting a brand new handset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Hope the next generation of the moto g will be great value. I plan to hold onto this one for awhile though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Google sold Motorola's phone division to Lenovo. Google were only selling it this cheap to tempt more people into switching from iPhone to Android.
    Lenovo has no interest in doing that, so if there is another Moto G, then it will not be as cheap as this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

waveform wrote: »
    Did you have any case on it at the time?

I dont really like the bulk cases add but i'm afraid i could break the screen too one day.

Would only use a case that goes on the back though.

No I didn't bother getting a case! Goes without saying I'm regretting that decision now! Mine landed face down onto a tile floor so didnt stand a chance.
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    This article http://www.atechieinchrist.com/2013/11/moto-g-is-here-cracked-screen.html?m=1 makes the point that a brand new moto g is cheaper than a replacement screen for many market leading phone.

This forum

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2544374

Features someone who contacted Motorola for repair. He ended up getting a brand new handset.

Yea I seen that thread on xda myself. I contacted Motorola customer service and they told me their repair centre in Ireland is SBE Ireland in Rathcoole. I emailed them about it but they said I'd have to post or drop the phone in to get a quote for repair.

I'm pretty sure the quote they would give me would be about 60 or 70 euro meaning it would be a waste of time and money to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I created a thread earlier asking what the best phone for about €200 would be. I've been told the moto g and after reading through some of this thread I reckon I'm going to go for it.

As I mentioned in the other thread I'm clueless with phones as I've only had iphones so I don't have a clue where the best place to get one would be.

Somebody mentioned the northern ireland tesco parcel motel route but I don't know if I'd go for that option.

I have a three mobile bill pay sim so if I get the moto g does this mean I won't have any issues with regards to compatibility?

When I googled Irish retailers this site came up: http://www.expansys.ie/motorola-moto-g-16gb-black-255959/

Is that reputable? A good price or if not what other retailer? And would my sim card work in it?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just that I'm a complete luddite with all this stuff.

Actually doh me!

I've just noticed it's on amazon for €187: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-16GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBREB6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394582353&sr=1-2&keywords=moto+g

It says it's sim free so does this mean my threemobile bill pay sim will work in it?

Should I go for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Actually doh me!

I've just noticed it's on amazon for €187: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-16GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBREB6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1394582353&sr=1-2&keywords=moto+g

It says it's sim free so does this mean my threemobile bill pay sim will work in it?

Should I go for that?

Ya go for that as it's the easiest way. Unlocked means you can throw any sim card you want into it. You'll probably just take the sim card out of the iPhone and put it into your new phone.

Thanks a million for the info and putting up with my moronic questions!

Hopefully nobody will ever have to do this, but here's a nice dis-assembly video of the phone:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

Any one knows where I can buy a new Moto G 16GB unlocked in Dublin? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭GerPower

vermilions wrote: »
    Any one knows where I can buy a new Moto G 16GB unlocked in Dublin? Cheers

Argos is selling them have a look on the website to see which sop has it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vermilions

GerPower wrote: »
    Argos is selling them have a look on the website to see which sop has it available.

Thanks so much!

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Hopefully nobody will ever have to do this, but here's a nice dis-assembly video of the phone:

Looks like the 'non-removable' battery is replaced easily enough, hooray for no hard-soldered connections!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Hey guys. Loving the phone but I have noticed it slowing down in the last day or two.

I only have Skype, Facebook (+pages manager), instagram, myfitnesspal and snapchat installed. Cleared cache on these and from the Google+ and Google Play Music app. No joy.

Anyone have the same issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Colibri wrote: »
    Hey guys. Loving the phone but I have noticed it slowing down in the last day or two.

I only have Skype, Facebook (+pages manager), instagram, myfitnesspal and snapchat installed. Cleared cache on these and from the Google+ and Google Play Music app. No joy.

Anyone have the same issue?

Yeah I noticed it slowing down a fair bit and have trouble with snapchat since I had the phone on android 4.3 and 4.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Skype gives me trouble on kitkat. It just doesnt work properly. People try to call me and only somtimes skype alerts me but mostly doesnt. Somtimes cam to cam works and somtimes not. Maybe skype ain't optimised for kitkat yet or something. It worked fine on 4.3. I find my phone generally slower on kitkat then on 4.3. I would prefer to downgrade to 4.3. Being a Google phone I thought I would have got the best kitkat experience :(

mondeo wrote: »
    Skype gives me trouble on kitkat. It just doesnt work properly. People try to call me and only somtimes skype alerts me but mostly doesnt. Somtimes cam to cam works and somtimes not. Maybe skype ain't optimised for kitkat yet or something. It worked fine on 4.3. I find my phone generally slower on kitkat then on 4.3. I would prefer to downgrade to 4.3. Being a Google phone I thought I would have got the best kitkat experience :(

Yeah there are quiet a few problems with apps one KitKat my keyboard the original android one is very fiddlely I it just goes really weird, and my hangouts can be a pain as well :L hopefully they will all be updated eventually :)

This is probably an issue with chrome for android in general but....
    Why the **** when you open a link or an image in a new tab, the new tab slides off the screen and you're still looking at the old tab?

Its really annoying, and makes no logical sense!

Anyway of getting the tab to stay on screen without switching to another browser? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Just wondering how more people tether using this phone? I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with a MacBook Air tethered over USB. I'm assuming this can be done with the Moto G?

I'm finding life very difficult using the iPhone now that I've installed iOS7 and thinking about changing over to Android.

My primary uses for the Moto G would be (in order)
    1. Tethering
    2. Browsing on the phone itself (mostly non-wifi)
    3. Odd games
    4. Texting
    5. Calls (billy no mates....)
    6. Maps

So the data/tethering aspect of the phone is absolutely critical. Moto G up to the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

SachaJ wrote: »
    Just wondering how more people tether using this phone? I'm currently using an iPhone 4 with a MacBook Air tethered over USB. I'm assuming this can be done with the Moto G?

I'm finding life very difficult using the iPhone now that I've installed iOS7 and thinking about changing over to Android.

My primary uses for the Moto G would be (in order)
    1. Tethering
    2. Browsing on the phone itself (mostly non-wifi)
    3. Odd games
    4. Texting
    5. Calls (billy no mates....)
    6. Maps

So the data/tethering aspect of the phone is absolutely critical. Moto G up to the job?

Does all of the above brilliantly

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Does all of the above brilliantly

Great thanks. Can you stop it upgrading to 4.4 or does it do that automatically? It's seems 4.4 is full of bugs

Haven't tried it myself but there is a way if your rooted

Towards the end of this page :http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-2012/225544-how-do-i-get-n7-stop-bugging-me-about-4-2-update.html

Very sad i my Moto G fell into a cup of tea :/ and id say its ****ed i trough it into a bag of rice and left that in a towel on top of the stove to try dry it out :L

i was asleep and i knocked the phone off the bed and it landed into the cup of the tea very unlucky chances but it is men't to be water resistant isent it ? Or was that video piss take ?

• Advertisement

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Very sad i my Moto G fell into a cup of tea :/ and id say its ****ed i trough it into a bag of rice and left that in a towel on top of the stove to try dry it out :L

i was asleep and i knocked the phone off the bed and it landed into the cup of the tea very unlucky chances but it is men't to be water resistant isent it ? Or was that video piss take ?
    No, it's definitely water resistant. Did you have much sugar in the tea? that's all I'd worry about. Hopefully it doesn't soak in anywhere. Should be fine as long as it wasn't in there for long.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    No, it's definitely water resistant. Did you have much sugar in the tea? that's all I'd worry about. Hopefully it doesn't soak in anywhere. Should be fine as long as it wasn't in there for long.

That's the problem it could have been in there for ages i don't know and i take 2 spoons of sugar ? well i'm still drying it hopefully i might get it back other wise i have no phone :/

I'm assuming you have the power turned off to the phone also?

yeah i do it wont turn on at all :/

the warranty wouldn't cover water damage would it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

You shouldn't try and turn it on. The problem with water damage usually occurs when you try and power it on, the water on the circuit board creates a short circuit and burns it out. You are suppose to leave it in a bag of rice for 3-4 days. The problem with the sugar is it will stick to the circuit board creating a short circuit when it dries in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It may take a while. I dropped a Galaxy S into the bath and while it would turn on the next day it randomly shut down, it was a few days before it was back to normal although the battery was fecked from then on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What they said. Don't go near it for a few days

Alright thanks guys, eh there would be no hope of getting the phone replaced though the warranty ? considering its men't to be water resistant to a certain level.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I doubt it. I think the Sony's say its not covered. I expect the Moto has too. Are there terms and conditions somewhere?

Quick question. How are you guys getting the phone from Tesco Direct & Parcel Motel?

When I'm trying to add an address I can't enter the PMID as it's saying I can't add numbers in a name field. Is there somewhere further along the checkout where I can add a custom address?

Also I assume you're going for the non SIM free version? I found a £10 off voucher online which is being accepted so £129 for the 16GB version is not bad value.

Lastly, do you get away with parcel Motel as your billing address you enter the Irish one?

• Advertisement

Quick question. How are you guys getting the phone from Tesco Direct & Parcel Motel?

When I'm trying to add an address I can't enter the PMID as it's saying I can't add numbers in a name field. Is there somewhere further along the checkout where I can add a custom address?

Also I assume you're going for the non SIM free version? I found a £10 off voucher online which is being accepted so £129 for the 16GB version is not bad value.

Go for the network locked versions and get them unlocked for £2 on eBay.

Yeah enter the pmid in the first name field like this

PmOneTwoThreeFourFive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

You can change the address during the checkout process. Just keep an eye out for where you can edit it.

yeah, just realised I can edit the name further on to add the PMID. They don't have the same text field checking.

So two questions remaining
    1. Do you leave the billing address as Parcel Motel?
    2. Do you leave the phone number in the 07..... format which is obviously incorrect....?

Thanks

yeah, just realised I can edit the name further on to add the PMID. They don't have the same text field checking.

So two questions remaining
    1. Do you leave the billing address as Parcel Motel?
    2. Do you leave the phone number in the 07..... format which is obviously incorrect....?

Thanks

Put the order through anyway. Accepted the parcel Motel billing address. Hopefully Tesco don't try to ring me about the order as they won't know to enter the +353 before it.....

By the way for anyone looking to buy from Tesco Direct. The code TDX-PR4N is valid until 31st March. Gives £10 off your first order once spending £50 or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

Hi guys and gals, I wonder is it possible to buy this in a meteor store in Ireland and get it unlocked to my network Vodafone ?, would there be a problem with meteor doing this ? Thanks

tippguy2 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals, I wonder is it possible to buy this in a meteor store in Ireland and get it unlocked to my network Vodafone ?, would there be a problem with meteor doing this ? Thanks

No need to even get it unlocked, the ones sold by meteor lock to the first sim inserted into them so if you put your Vodafone sim in first it will lock to Vodafone. Just say no if they offer to put it in for you in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭VikingG

The other option is to replace the android version with an unlocked rom which are freely available....
    This is what I did ... bought the phone in Meteor and just updated to a ROM without Sim Lock...

how to do this can be found here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88511843

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

I can leave my current phone at home, so no Sim with me, thank you all for your help and knowledge

Advertisement