Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭tippguy2

Oh! another question if I lock the Sim to Vodafone does that affect android os updates, like it won't be on the meteor network ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

tippguy2 wrote: »
    Oh! another question if I lock the Sim to Vodafone does that affect android os updates, like it won't be on the meteor network ?

No, shouldn't affect them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

tippguy2 wrote: »
    I can leave my current phone at home, so no Sim with me

Or just have it in your pocket, on silent ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    No need to even get it unlocked, the ones sold by meteor lock to the first sim inserted into them so if you put your Vodafone sim in first it will lock to Vodafone. Just say no if they offer to put it in for you in the shop.

I got mine xmas eve in Meteor put sim in then changed to my Tesco mobile sim worked no bother.
    Thinking of selling mine so was going to get unlock code from ebay but decided to try my husbands o2 sim today in it and it appears to be unlocked.

Know its only few euro to get unlocked but try another sim in it before you purchase code :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anywhere selling the 16GB version in Ireland? Online or in-store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Just shy of €190 on Amazon with free UK delivery (use Parcel Motel) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-16GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBREB6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Argos but it was €220 (unlocked) the last time I checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

advertsfox wrote: »
    Just shy of €190 on Amazon with free UK delivery (use Parcel Motel) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moto-16GB-Sim-Free-Smartphone/dp/B00ECBREB6

Why use Parcel Motel, just get it shipped free. Do you want to deny the Irish government their VAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

ardmacha wrote: »
    Why use Parcel Motel, just get it shipped free. Do you want to deny the Irish government their VAT?
    Ah for a change, Amazon is shipping this free to Ireland - did not see that, I would have expected this to cost about €10. By all means, ship it here.

Ah for a change, Amazon is shipping this free to Ireland - did not see that, I would have expected this to cost about €10. By all means, ship it here.

??? this has been the case for a long time with 'super saver delivery' for orders over £25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Anything dispatched by Amazon can be delivered free in Ireland. The problem only arises with people selling through Amazon who do their own dispatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 drenbot1986

£125.10 when you use this code"TDX-KH4C" on the Tesco direct site, Thats for the £139 locked to Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

£125.10 when you use this code"TDX-KH4C" on the Tesco direct site, Thats for the £139 locked to Tesco

8GB locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 drenbot1986

16gb version locked to tesco, Think you can get the unlock codes from ebay for €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

16gb version locked to tesco, Think you can get the unlock codes from ebay for €2

I gave 180 to my bro for it unlocked from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Normally I don't usually get excited about phones etc but looking at my Parcel motel account my Tesco Direct 16GB Moto G is "In Transit". Hopefully that means I'll have it in the morning (they usually drop off to Drogheda around 2am (or maybe it takes that long for them to notify you))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

When you're at the "Checkout" stage on Tesco direct, do you enter your credit card address as New address or will it process with the Pm address?

Thank's

Invincible wrote: »
    When you're at the "Checkout" stage on Tesco direct, do you enter your credit card address as New address or will it process with the Pm address?

Thank's

Use Parcel motels address as the billing address.

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Use Parcel motels address as the billing address.

+1....

At that stage I also changed the following info:

First Name: Changed this to my full name (eg. John Smith)
    Last Name: Changed this to my Parcel Motel PMID

Just wondering how long was it from when ye ordered from Tesco direct before ye got order dispatch notification?
    Ordered last night, but they state in email, that they only accept order when they dispatch the item(s).

• Advertisement

I did the same. Ordered it at 11pm last Tuesday and I got a shipping notification on Thursday morning. Had it in my hands at 11pm Saturday night.

Was on to TSB this evening to see if they could add the Pm address to the card or put a note on the account to approve any purchase from Tesco.com, but as it's a debit Visa, they can't, they stopped a purchase from Garmin.com before as suspicious on the account, so whether this will go through using the Pm address as the billing address, we'll see.

Was on to TSB this evening to see if they could add the Pm address to the card or put a note on the account to approve any purchase from Tesco.com, but as it's a debit Visa, they can't, they stopped a purchase from Garmin.com before as suspicious on the account, so whether this will go through using the Pm address as the billing address, we'll see.

My Visa credit card is with TSB so hopefully your's will be ok

Never had any problems, but I'm with aib so might be different.

Thank's lads, it's replacing a hTc sensation that has a sluggish keyboard and yesterday lost all contacts and phone numbers, except what was in Viber or whatsapp, however they appeared again today, don't know if the report feature on hTc makes any difference to those problems or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Got mine yesterday (16GB from Amazon), pretty impressed with it so far, will see how the battery lasts today. Does anyone know is there a quick way to close all open apps? Currently I've to swipe each app individually from the 'task manager' type screen.
    Also any recommendations for a cheap flip cover which will protect the screen in my pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't need to close them, android handles all that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Got mine yesterday (16GB from Amazon), pretty impressed with it so far, will see how the battery lasts today. Does anyone know is there a quick way to close all open apps? Currently I've to swipe each app individually from the 'task manager' type screen.
    Also any recommendations for a cheap flip cover which will protect the screen in my pocket?

Don't close them, just press home and leave them minimised so they'll open quickly next time, they do not use any resources when minimised. Android is designed to work this way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The latest version of Gorilla glass that is on the Moto G is really brilliant. I was going to get a flip case but never got around to it and after over 3 months of keeping it in my pocket every day there isn't one mark on the screen. I did pick up a cheap 99p bumper case off eBay recently just to give it some protection in case of drops.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement

Got an email from Tesco.com at 15.20 stating the Moto G is on it's way :D
    Thank's for all the help with the ordering process guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I ordered on Sunday evening from tesco and it was in parcel motel this morning.
    Bloody hell, it's an impressive phone for the money.

Cienciano wrote: »

Lucky you, they managed to lose my phone between signing for it in Belfast it not showing up as checked in.

Cienciano wrote: »

Good phone alright but the call quality is a bit poor compared to the iPhone 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

SachaJ wrote: »
    Good phone alright but the call quality is a bit poor compared to the iPhone 4

It's never going to be as good, but as sim free prices go, it's far far better value than any iphone.
    TBH, if the camera was better and it had a memory card slot, I'd never bother spending the money a fancy phone. Coming from a galaxy s4.
    But from one or 2 photos I took, it's fairly crap camera

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TommyTheGun

After resisting buying an android phone for so long(because I hate my tablet), I purchased this as fed up with the dismal battery life and limited apps on my WP8 Nokia Lumia 920.

Bought sunday night, have it here now, updated to KitKat, €2.50 unlocked on ebay, bought for £123 from Tesco using PM.

Have to say, very impressed with this phone for such a relatively small price. App selection just unbelievably better than the WP8

great purchase, would recommend(so far anyway)

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I ordered one of these and can't wait to get my hands on it!
    There is a CyanogenMod rom for it, any benefit of that over stock? Haven't used CyanogenMod before.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

After resisting buying an android phone for so long(because I hate my tablet), I purchased this as fed up with the dismal battery life and limited apps on my WP8 Nokia Lumia 920.

Bought sunday night, have it here now, updated to KitKat, €2.50 unlocked on ebay, bought for £123 from Tesco using PM.

Have to say, very impressed with this phone for such a relatively small price. App selection just unbelievably better than the WP8

great purchase, would recommend(so far anyway)

Tom
    I bought the Moto G before Christmas having had a WP for the previous 18 months for the same reason, the lack of WP apps, but as soon as I can afford it I will be moving back to WP.

There may be many more apps availabile for Android but that's not much use when the user experience is so inferior to WP.

OK neither is perfect, but android is still just so buggy and has so many niggles, that if you rely on your phone for work for example my experience has been that WP is far more reliable.

For example I have had to uninstall Skype as it causes a camera error on KitKat that requires you to reboot the phone every time you want to take a photo.

The ringer volume is very poor even with an app installed to supposedly boost the volume by 40%, if there is much background noise I find that I often miss the incoming email alert.

If the volume control gets accidentally knocked back two notches from the Max the phone ringer doesn't sound at all.

The default settings for the email alert is also illogical, it will only play a tone for the first email received so if you miss that you could have 5 more without knowing it. OK there is a notification light that you don't have with WP but that's not much good if you have your phone in your pocket. The settings can be changed of course but there is quite a learning curve to find out why things don't function as you would expect them to from the beginning. To make the changes you need to go down through menus for each individual email account there is no master control to say switch on or off vibration for email alerts. It's a lot of faffing around if you have a load of email accounts on the phone, I have 6.

I had another app for displaying message notifications which I had to uninstall as it would wake the phone at random times lighting up the display. Would wake me during the night if I forgot to leave the phone face down.

That's another thing, unlike in WP where your alarms will operate even if the phone is powered off, in Android you have to have the phone switched on so that means having to put your phone in silent and airplane mode every night to get your alarm in the morning.

That's just my own experience and personal opinion I am sure others may disagree but I found that on WP it was a much smoother experience and I didn't have anything like the same number of irritating problems I have had with Android.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Do-more wrote: »
    I bought the Moto G before Christmas having had a WP for the previous 18 months for the same reason, the lack of WP apps, but as soon as I can afford it I will be moving back to WP.

There may be many more apps availabile for Android but that's not much use when the user experience is so inferior to WP.

OK neither is perfect, but android is still just so buggy and has so many niggles, that if you rely on your phone for work for example my experience has been that WP is far more reliable.

For example I have had to uninstall Skype as it causes a camera error on KitKat that requires you to reboot the phone every time you want to take a photo.

The ringer volume is very poor even with an app installed to supposedly boost the volume by 40%, if there is much background noise I find that I often miss the incoming email alert.

If the volume control gets accidentally knocked back two notches from the Max the phone ringer doesn't sound at all.

The default settings for the email alert is also illogical, it will only play a tone for the first email received so if you miss that you could have 5 more without knowing it. OK there is a notification light that you don't have with WP but that's not much good if you have your phone in your pocket. The settings can be changed of course but there is quite a learning curve to find out why things don't function as you would expect them to from the beginning. To make the changes you need to go down through menus for each individual email account there is no master control to say switch on or off vibration for email alerts. It's a lot of faffing around if you have a load of email accounts on the phone, I have 6.

I had another app for displaying message notifications which I had to uninstall as it would wake the phone at random times lighting up the display. Would wake me during the night if I forgot to leave the phone face down.

That's another thing, unlike in WP where your alarms will operate even if the phone is powered off, in Android you have to have the phone switched on so that means having to put your phone in silent and airplane mode every night to get your alarm in the morning.

That's just my own experience and personal opinion I am sure others may disagree but I found that on WP it was a much smoother experience and I didn't have anything like the same number of irritating problems I have had with Android.

:rolleyes: None of those are Android issues, all are specific to this particular phone (ringer volume, Skype app crashing camera, email notification issue etc). Maybe you should have got a high end phone (Nexus 5/GS4/HTC One/Xperia Z/LG G2 etc), this is a budget phone after all. IIRC the Samsung GS4 and HTC One both have alarm when the phone is off

:rolleyes: None of those are Android issues, all are specific to this particular phone (ringer volume, Skype app crashing camera, email notification issue etc). Maybe you should have got a high end phone (Nexus 5/GS4/HTC One/Xperia Z/LG G2 etc), this is a budget phone after all. IIRC the Samsung GS4 and HTC One both have alarm when the phone is off
    That's the thing though, it seems that to get a decently functioning Android phone you need to shell out €400+ I was coming from a WP that cost €160 and probably I should have gone to a Samsung Ativ S or similar WP for less than €200.

Tom after all is coming from a Nokia 920 so I was warning him of some of the issues he might face. The Moto G might well be a budget phone but all over this thread people say that it performs better than many higher end Android phones.:rolleyes:

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Sadly this is an example of common android bashing. People buy cheap android phones with lower specs and expect it to perform like an iphone 5s and then blame the OS. It would be the equivalent of putting high octane petrol into a fiat punto and suddently expecting the punto to break 140mph and then blaming the quality of the petrol when the punto continues to remain sluggish and unresponsive.

People like to compare apple and oranges regularly when bashing android.

• Advertisement

Any know when a bug fix version of kit kat is coming out? I'm getting the constant requests to upgrade but after reading all the issues I've been avoiding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

any reason people are buying this from Tesco in the UK rather than a local meteor shop? I cant see the offer on tesco.com, is it the 16gb version for 150 yoyo?

edit: nvm, its the 16gb version alright

any reason people are buying this from Tesco in the UK rather than a local meteor shop? I cant see the offer on tesco.com, is it the 16gb version for 150 yoyo?

edit: nvm, its the 16gb version alright

I think in the meteor shops you are paying €150 for the 8GB whereas I got the 16GB for €150 from tesco direct (not normal trsco website. Look for tesco direct)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Do-more wrote: »

This is the beauty of Android - you can set it up how you want.
    There are apps to set up notifications, some allow the screen to light up some dont. some have popups some dont, some allow the notification light to be used etc etc etc you get the idea.
    There are apps to silence your phone at certain hours - in fact the Moto G has one pre baked in called Moto Assist I think. I find it handy that the phone is on at night in case there is an emergency and someone needs to contact me I am reachable.
    There are volume locker apps to stop accidental changes. once the screen is off you should not be able to increase or decrease the volume with the volume rocker.
    You can set your email to alert you for all emails but that to me is a pain as I get loads and that would be really annoying. Again you can decide how you like it
    The Skype issues seem to be varied across the board and not all are seeing them. I for example have no issue with a Nexus 4. I would assume Google are fixing this as we speak

I just find that Android is so customisable that it suits me but maybe as a business phone the Moto G is not the best choice and you would need to go high end like a Note or HTC One etc.

But for €129 this thing is the bees knees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Have any of you bought this from Meteor? Just wondering if it was locked to their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Bought one in Meteor. It is not locked, but it might lock to the network of the SIM card that is first inserted, so do it yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hey all, posting for a friend who bought the phone just today, but hers was locked to Meteor and she's on o2.

Can anyone recommend a seller on eBay or similar for the network unlock code? Much appreciated.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Hey all, posting for a friend who bought the phone just today, but hers was locked to Meteor and she's on o2.

Can anyone recommend a seller on eBay or similar for the network unlock code? Much appreciated.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-/111223239973

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is the beauty of Android - you can set it up how you want.
    There are apps to set up notifications, some allow the screen to light up some dont. some have popups some dont, some allow the notification light to be used etc etc etc you get the idea.
    There are apps to silence your phone at certain hours - in fact the Moto G has one pre baked in called Moto Assist I think. I find it handy that the phone is on at night in case there is an emergency and someone needs to contact me I am reachable.
    There are volume locker apps to stop accidental changes. once the screen is off you should not be able to increase or decrease the volume with the volume rocker.
    You can set your email to alert you for all emails but that to me is a pain as I get loads and that would be really annoying. Again you can decide how you like it
    The Skype issues seem to be varied across the board and not all are seeing them. I for example have no issue with a Nexus 4. I would assume Google are fixing this as we speak

I just find that Android is so customisable that it suits me but maybe as a business phone the Moto G is not the best choice and you would need to go high end like a Note or HTC One etc.

But for €129 this thing is the bees knees
    Thanks, l will definitely look for that app to lock the volume rocker.

I have tried the Motorola assist app but don't find it a good solution, I would much prefer if I could just turn off my phone at night.

I know that Motorola are aware of the problem with the camera error but there is no sign of a fix being pushed out yet.

I now remember that it was the Nils lock screen app that was causing the phone screen to light up occasionally, which was a pity as it was handy.

I just don't get it that people think I need a €400+ phone when all I really want is something that can reliably alert me to the fact that I have an email or a phone call! Those should be basic functions for a smart phone and should be within the capabilities of a budget phone.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement