Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Do-more wrote: »
    I just don't get it that people think I need a €400+ phone when all I really want is something that can reliably alert me to the fact that I have an email or a phone call! Those should be basic functions for a smart phone and should be within the capabilities of a budget phone.

You don't, you're just new to Android. As has been said, with Android if there is something you're not happy with seek a third party app that does it better. I'm on my fifth Android phone and at this stage I know what I want from it so I bought the Nexus 5 so its as close to a lean OS as you get, I them customise it with apps to perform the way I expect. I could get nearly the same experience from a Moto G. With iOS and Windows phone you don't have this customisability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

You don't, you're just new to Android. As has been said, with Android if there is something you're not happy with seek a third party app that does it better. I'm on my fifth Android phone and at this stage I know what I want from it so I bought the Nexus 5 so its as close to a lean OS as you get, I them customise it with apps to perform the way I expect. I could get nearly the same experience from a Moto G. With iOS and Windows phone you don't have this customisability.

Jaysus, you've changed your tune! You were the very first one to roll your eyes sarcastically and suggest I should have bought a high end phone.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Jaysus, you've changed your tune! You were the very first one to roll your eyes sarcastically and suggest I should have bought a high end phone.

Only because I thought you were comparing a high end Windows phone to a Moto G, I see now a few posts later you're not, you just didn't realise you have to put in the effort with a budget Android. Android is all about customisation, the high end ones are easier to live with, the lower end ones need tuning. Some lower end ones are horrendous, but with a Moto G you have something decent to work with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Only because I thought you were comparing a high end Windows phone to a Moto G, I see now a few posts later you're not, you just didn't realise you have to put in the effort with a budget Android. Android is all about customisation, the high end ones are easier to live with, the lower end ones need tuning. Some lower end ones are horrendous, but with a Moto G you have something decent to work with

Yiz are going round in circles here lads.....

"do-more" already said he will be getting rid of Moto G asap, in favour of a WP!!!

And he/she has a litany of complaints re Android generally and Moto g specifically.

So be it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

That's the thing though, it seems that to get a decently functioning Android phone you need to shell out €400+ I was coming from a WP that cost €160 and probably I should have gone to a Samsung Ativ S or similar WP for less than €200.

Tom after all is coming from a Nokia 920 so I was warning him of some of the issues he might face. The Moto G might well be a budget phone but all over this thread people say that it performs better than many higher end Android phones.:rolleyes:
    I understand that you prefer the WP environment but that is a silly statement to make. The firmware is to blame for most of the above issues rather than the hardware. Sorry to hear your phone isn't giving you what you want, I would suggest you root it to tweak/fix what is on the stock ROM but it sounds like Android isn't for you at all.

Yiz are going round in circles here lads.....

"do-more" already said he will be getting rid of Moto G asap, in favour of a WP!!!

And he/she has a litany of complaints re Android generally and Moto g specifically.

So be it!
    WP isn't perfect either, but I find that it is a lot easier to use than Android without the need to install this app to solve this problem and that app to solve that problem! Probably just as well given the limited app availability :pac:

As Cydoniac says it is just a case that Android isn't for me, I don't have the patience to spend 6 months researching what apps I need to install to get my phone functioning normally.

invest4deepvalue.com

WP isn't perfect either, but I find that it is a lot easier to use than Android without the need to install this app to solve this problem and that app to solve that problem! Probably just as well given the limited app availability :pac:

As Cydoniac says it is just a case that Android isn't for me, I don't have the patience to spend 6 months researching what apps I need to install to get my phone functioning normally.

Nothing is perfect, either in mobile OS's or life generally.

I am of the opinion that one almost needs to be an Android geek/anorak to get the best out of most Android devices.

There are so many variables, introduced by device manufacturers like Samsung or HTC, each with their own modified take on the OS, so much so that quite a lot of those geeky types, like myself, feel obliged to root and flash versions of Android much closer to AOSP or ROM's like Cyanogen.

But, Moto G is quite close to pure Android, as designed by Google, so if you find it unsatisfactory from a user perspective, Android is definitely not for you.

I like it, but that's because I like messing around with the OS, and have done so all my working life in the telecoms/IT space, but that's me!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

These are not problems you are having (bar the Skype issue) they are the way Android is set up and it is preforming normally. Moto G is almost stock Android. I like stock Android the way Google intended it to be and I actually hate all the junk Sony, HTC, Samsung etc put in phones. That's why I stick to a Nexus or Moto G type device.

If it's not suitable for you then that's fine maybe WP is best for your needs.

I just like the options of setting it up exactly how I like and need it and having the opportunity to tweak it like a mad yoke on steroids!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

For anyone with the 8GB Moto G, how are you finding it space wise? Thinking about picking one up for a birthday present but it (assuming the usual 5.5GB available) seems rather on the low side to me given the size of a lot of apps these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

For anyone with the 8GB Moto G, how are you finding it space wise? Thinking about picking one up for a birthday present but it (assuming the usual 5.5GB available) seems rather on the low side to me given the size of a lot of apps these days.
    You get 25GB free Drive storage (plus the original 15GB free), photos are automatically backed up and can be deleted off your phone with Google+ Auto Backup (which backs up local folders too, photos can be downloaded again on the the phone) and gives you unlimited uploads at 5MP or uses your Drive storage at full quality (Moto G is 5MP already). Google Music let's you upload 20000 songs for free so basically, your 8GB phone (~5.5GB after system reservations) is for apps, texts, settings, cache, call log etc. This is why SD storage isn't needed (its much slower than NAND as well, always will be).

I use a Nexus 4 (missus has the Moto G) and its an 8GB model and here's my storage use with a tonne of apps installed and a lot of everyday use.

yykYdfE.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Cheers, using the Cloud as a substitute for expandable storage was a bit of a concern for me as this person doesn't have a data plan, though they do have wifi at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just spotted the code TD-FG6N gives you £20 off when you spend £150 meaning you could get the 16gb sim free version for £138 , £1 cheaper than than the locked version.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-motorola-moto-g-16gb-black/242-0303.prd?skuId=242-0303

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Just spotted the code TD-FG6N gives you £20 off when you spend £150 meaning you could get the 16gb sim free version for £138 , £1 cheaper than than the locked version.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/sim-free-unlocked-motorola-moto-g-16gb-black/242-0303.prd?skuId=242-0303

I got the locked 16GB delivered today for £129 with the £10 code posted earlier in the thread, so It's still less than above with unlock code off eBay included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Invincible

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Lucky you, they managed to lose my phone between signing for it in Belfast it not showing up as checked in.

Did they locate your phone yet? Was looking for the TechGuy, seems you changed your username? :)

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    Did they locate your phone yet? Was looking for the TechGuy, seems you changed your username? :)

Yeah changed the name! No its still missing, they tried ringing me today but I missed it and when I rang back most of them were gone home so I'm to get a callback tomorrow. Not accepting €100 as this wasn't down to it being damaged in transit or anything , it was obviously swiped by one of the staff as things don't just disappear. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭Doge

The ringer volume is very poor even with an app installed to supposedly boost the volume by 40%, if there is much background noise I find that I often miss the incoming email alert.

Try using the built in Carbon ringtone, it will blow the feckin ears off ya! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody else unable to sync thier facebook account on this phone? i've upgraded the android to the latest official one, won't work on the two of them I have or my friend's one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

https://www.facebook.com/USCellular/posts/10151972616614172

Unhide U.S. Cellular's post... seems to be an issue that only affects the Android update. Mine's on its way via ParcelMotel :) and I'm beginning to wonder whether or not to update it at all?

I don't really fancy messing around with bootloaders/invalidated warranties, and anyway there doesn't seem to be any very obvious advantage (for a "standard" user like me) in rooting it. The stock build is apparently very bloat-free and...

Or am I missing something? What would people here do with an out-of-the-box 16GB model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anybody else unable to sync thier facebook account on this phone? i've upgraded the android to the latest official one, won't work on the two of them I have or my friend's one...

Is it your contacts that you need to sync or can you just not log in to Facebook?

We have Facebook syncing on 2 of these Moto G phones in our house and I also have it working without issue on a Nexus 4.

Contact syncing with the People app in Android stopped working a good while ago due to legal issues between Facebook and Google. However there is a great app called Haxsync that works a treat and it syncs all your Facebook data (hi-res photos too) in to the contacts in your phone
    I think the guy that developed Haxsync has gotten a job in Facebook so I would imagine it will be baked in to the Facebook app soon. In the meantime try it out as it works great (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mots.haxsync)

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »

UPDATE: They are now claiming it came in with no PMID on it so they searched the database for my name and found two matches and decided to send it out to the other person with my name.(Sounds like BS) They are now trying to get in contact with the person who collected my parcel but he's not answering.

1.If my pmid was missing I imagine that my name should be missing too as I had the pmid in the first name section and my name in the last name section.

2.If they searched my name and it came back with two results, why would they decide to send it out to one of them without checking it was actually for him first.

None of this adds up.

Sorry for this OT post, just wanted to update/warn yous on what they are like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

MotoG now available for €149.99 on Tesco Mobile.
    http://www.tescomobile.ie/phones/displayPhone.aspx?p=205

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

What a great phone for €150. Got an 8GB one yesterday.

waveform wrote: »
    Try using the built in Carbon ringtone, it will blow the feckin ears off ya! :P

Thanks but mine doesn't have any tone called "Carbon" my rom is the GB retail version bought off Amazon.co.uk

[Edit] Found an app called Super loud ringtones, the Car Alarm should do the trick!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anyone else tried Cyanogen on this?

I put it on my 16gb phone and was a bit disappointed to be honest. The camera on this phone is no great shakes but on Cyanogen (11) it was truly awful. I tried putting on some other camera apps but none are as good as on the stock Kitkat UK rom it came preinstalled with from Amazon/Motorola.
    The second thing that was not working well was the clock - it just refused to run properly - kept getting a message that the "clock has stopped". As i use my phone as an alarm clock this was a major drawback. Sure I could have downloaded another clock app from google play but i wanted to use the stock one. I googled the problem and saw reports of this issue going back two years, so unlikely to be fixed any time soon it seems.

I really liked everything else though I must say, far far more customisable than stock.
    The camera was a dealbreaker though, a pity. I've since put back on a stock UK rom

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks but mine doesn't have any tone called "Carbon" my rom is the GB retail version bought off Amazon.co.uk

[Edit] Found an app called Super loud ringtones, the Car Alarm should do the trick!

The Carbon tone is actually an alarm tone included with the headset.

If you knew the exact location of the audio file you should be able to set is as your ringtone too.

If you install ES File manager, you will be giving the option to browse for the file using that app.

I'm not sure what directory the tones are in though!

Found it,
    using ES File explorer go to root or "/" -> system -> media -> audio -> alarms -> Carbon.ogg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The mother has the Moto G since Christmas but hasn't been able to make calls since the weekend. There is an error symbol in the notification bar showing a sim card and a red circle.
    The sim works on a different phone.

Anyone encounter this problem?
    The phone was bought on Amazon. Has anyone had to return a phone to them?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

The mother has the Moto G since Christmas but hasn't been able to make calls since the weekend. There is an error symbol in the notification bar showing a sim card and a red circle.
    The sim works on a different phone.

Anyone encounter this problem?
    The phone was bought on Amazon. Has anyone had to return a phone to them?

This happened to me about a month ago. I just took the SIM card out and put it back in and it hasn't happened since.

This happened to me about a month ago. I just took the SIM card out and put it back in and it hasn't happened since.

Tried that but no luck, even did a factory reset and still no luck :(

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,512 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Tried that but no luck, even did a factory reset and still no luck :(

Pop a different SIM in and see if it recognises it.

Pop a different SIM in and see if it recognises it.

No joy with that either.

It's strange because it just happened out of the blue.
    Would it still be covered under warranty?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No joy with that either.

It's strange because it just happened out of the blue.
    Would it still be covered under warranty?

If you bought it as Christmas it would be covered for sure.

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone else tried Cyanogen on this?

I put it on my 16gb phone and was a bit disappointed to be honest. The camera on this phone is no great shakes but on Cyanogen (11) it was truly awful. I tried putting on some other camera apps but none are as good as on the stock Kitkat UK rom it came preinstalled with from Amazon/Motorola.
    The second thing that was not working well was the clock - it just refused to run properly - kept getting a message that the "clock has stopped". As i use my phone as an alarm clock this was a major drawback. Sure I could have downloaded another clock app from google play but i wanted to use the stock one. I googled the problem and saw reports of this issue going back two years, so unlikely to be fixed any time soon it seems.

I really liked everything else though I must say, far far more customisable than stock.
    The camera was a dealbreaker though, a pity. I've since put back on a stock UK rom
    I just rooted mine and got XposedInstaller with GravityBox. Gives you all the main features of CM without losing the stock features. Best of both worlds.

I personally don't think any of the custom ROMs are stable enough to stick with if you use it regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Nolimits

My friend just got a moto g. How does he get rid of the three in the top corner?

Nolimits wrote: »
    My friend just got a moto g. How does he get rid of the three in the top corner?

Thats his network provider.

Thats his network provider.

It is, but does it always have to be on the screen like that?

It is, but does it always have to be on the screen like that?

I haven't seen an app to remove it :(

I haven't seen an app to remove it :(

You need to be rooted
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2596525

• Advertisement

That, not only seems pretty **** but also pointless. I've never heard of this before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Folks, I'm trying to connect a brand new Moto G to the internet for a relative.

I've entered the wifi password and it seems connected but then when I try to open chrome or sync a gmail account it says:

'Authentication Problem'

I've rebooted the router but the 'Authentication Problem' persists. Have others had this problem and if they have how did they solve it?

That, not only seems pretty **** but also pointless. I've never heard of this before.
    Just the way it is. There are a bunch of Xposed modules that can remove the carrier. Xposed is just the same of the program that can make these tweaks through the plugins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Folks, I'm trying to connect a brand new Moto G to the internet for a relative.

I've entered the wifi password and it seems connected but then when I try to open chrome or sync a gmail account it says:

'Authentication Problem'

I've rebooted the router but the 'Authentication Problem' persists. Have others had this problem and if they have how did they solve it?

TRY TYPING THE PASSWORD IN CAPS , and let us know how you get on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I havent found anything that can remove the Carrier Text from the status bar on my Moto G. You think "3" is annoying? Try "O2-IRL".

The app linked above cant hide it on phones running KitKat (yet).

DjFlin wrote: »
    I havent found anything that can remove the Carrier Text from the status bar on my Moto G. You think "3" is annoying? Try "O2-IRL".

Get the Moto X carrier module on Xposed's download list. Works perfectly for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

projectgtr wrote: »
    TRY TYPING THE PASSWORD IN CAPS , and let us know how you get on ;)

I have. I've tried lots of things and just can't solve this issue. It's going back to the shop tomorrow.

There is no Notification Carrier Name on my US retail KK ROM....

it's on the lock screen, very discreet!!

moto_g_us_rom.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You think "3" is annoying? Try "O2-IRL".

Pffft, I'll raise you with "Tesco Mobile".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

There is no Notification Carrier Name on my US retail KK ROM....

it's on the lock screen, very discreet!!

moto_g_us_rom.jpg

How are you posting screenshots?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    How are you posting screenshots?

Hold the power + volume down buttons simultaneously, then upload them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement