Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Have any of yous experienced the sudden drop to 1% glitch and how did you resolve it?

Battery level? If that's what you mean...I know all about it. Happening to my nexus 4 for 3 weeks, just got the replacement. The battery would drop to 3 or lower and turn off from circa 40% in airplane mode. On the nexus, they say to hard turn it off, soft reset, go to safe mode, and hard reset. None of these worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I have an odd issue. I have my home wifi over two hubs, one within the house, and the other within a home office. All other devices automatically switch to where ever the signal is strongest, but the Moto G will cling to the router/hub it initially connected to. It seems switching off and on the WiFi is the only way to get to to connect to the strongest signal at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I have an odd issue. I have my home wifi over two hubs, one within the house, and the other within a home office. All other devices automatically switch to where ever the signal is strongest, but the Moto G will cling to the router/hub it initially connected to. It seems switching off and on the WiFi is the only way to get to to connect to the strongest signal at the moment.

Android devices should cling to the initial network assuming the signal exists. You can use an app to force a switch to a stronger signal like this for example.

FYI - You may not your networks configured correctly, if i understand your setup. If you have 2 separate access points(main and an extender) you should have the same SSID assigned to both networks and just put them on different channels.

FYI - You may not your networks configured correctly, if i understand your setup. If you have 2 separate access points(main and an extender) you should have the same SSID assigned to both networks and just put them on different channels.

Configuration is fine I'm sure, SSIDs and keys are the same. Laptops and internet radios automatically switch over to the strongest signal.

I have a Nexus 7 and Hudl that I haven't tried yet, it may narrow it down to an Android or device specific issue. Although reading some of the reviews of that app you linked to it appears that it may indeed by an android issue as it looks like many have the same problem.

Best WiFI didn't seem to do anything anyway, this one, WiFi Roaming Fix, seems that bit better.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.heleron.wifiroamingfix

Configuration is fine I'm sure, SSIDs and keys are the same. Laptops and internet radios automatically switch over to the strongest signal.

I have a Nexus 7 and Hudl that I haven't tried yet, it may narrow it down to an Android or device specific issue. Although reading some of the reviews of that app you linked to it appears that it may indeed by an android issue as it looks like many have the same problem.

Best WiFI didn't seem to do anything anyway, this one WiFi Roaming Fix, seems that bit better.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.heleron.wifiroamingfix

Right, sounds like your network is fine so.

I don't think its an Android "issue" rather than an Android "feature" ;)

• Advertisement

I don't think its an Android "issue" rather than an Android "feature" ;)

Indeed ! As someone works in the industry, our systems never had 'problems'. We do use 'issues' though, as it doesn't point the finger at us or the users, so it's a win win for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Indeed ! As someone works in the industry, our systems never had 'problems'. We do use 'issues' though, as it doesn't point the finger at us or the users, so it's a win win for everyone.

I have 'issues' in work, but 'problems' at home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Beloved phone fell out of my bag today and screen is completely smashed. Phone is working but I just can't really see anything. Any ideas on how to get it repaired. Tried several places in Dublin today to no avail :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Beloved phone fell out of my bag today and screen is completely smashed. Phone is working but I just can't really see anything. Any ideas on how to get it repaired. Tried several places in Dublin today to no avail :(

Might just work out cheaper to buy a new one with the price of them lately, your looking at the €90 mark just for the screen itself, until cheaper screens become available your better off buying a new one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry if it was asked already , is there a way to turn off camera shutter sound?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

calex71 wrote: »
    Sorry if it was asked already , is there a way to turn off camera shutter sound?

Perv :)

You'll need to be rooted
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2051384

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

My camera app has the option at the bottom of the wheel-thingie
    305580.png

DjFlin wrote: »
    My camera app has the option at the bottom of the wheel-thingie

That's odd, you have other icons I don't have like what looks like a geo tag one, but you don't have a HDR icon which mine does have.

What version are you running of android and the camera app? mins is 4.4.2 and camera version 3.2.14.4 non rooted etc.

Mine is a tesco one so maybe other operators have their rom tweaked and configured slightly differently?

Edit: Wait i'm an idiot, it was only when i saw your screen shot with different icons and you mention "wheel" did the penny drop with me ..... its actually a wheel and can rotate , sure enough there is a shutter sound button on mine too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

calex71 what camera apps are you guys using?

I can't find those options.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

maximus02 wrote: »
    calex71 what camera apps are you guys using?

I can't find those options.

Thanks

Its the Motorola camera app that comes already installed and you swipe from left to get the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Its the Motorola camera app that comes already installed and you swipe from left to get the wheel.

Thanks DERPY DERPFACE. I wasn't doing any swiping. :)

maximus02 wrote: »
    Thanks DERPY DERPFACE. I wasn't doing any swiping. :)

Ha I'm not alone in my sillyness then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

It tells you how to do it the first time you open it up. Pay more attention next time. :P

I encountered this "Drop to 1%" glitch last night, it happened as I was taking the charger out, not randomly, though.

Occono wrote: »
    It tells you how to do it the first time you open it up. Pay more attention next time. :P

I encountered this "Drop to 1%" glitch last night, it happened as I was taking the charger out, not randomly, though.

What actually happened was I moved charger when it was on 70 to a different room and when I plugged it in again it constantly made the noise when you plug in the charger. Then the percentage went all over the place and then made the low power noise a few rimes then turned itself off and on eg bootloop. I unplugged it and left it for a day and recharged it with a different charger and all is fine. I was thinking of returning it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Me too...I have one of these on order

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-Motorola-G-XT1032-MOTO-XT1033-Glass-LCD-Display-With-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Assembly-Parts/1748259118.html

:(

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    When you get it if you are going to do it yourself post a bid of you doing it as I am clumsy and have not got a case yet. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3AZSXhOf8 :) (not my video, I should add)

Anyone using Cabbage?

It crashes on me when sending messages, every time , seems to be at the reading capcha part (vodafone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd3AZSXhOf8 :) (not my video, I should add)

I occasionally visit Northern Ireland and happened to be in a Tesco in Derry when I dropped my uncased Moto G 16gb smashing its screen (it landed on bottom left corner).

305845.jpg

Anyway I had read about the difficulty of getting the screen repaired so bought a new one there and then. It was locked to Tesco Mobile and the manager told me there was a mobile unlocking place in the shopping centre! They couldn't come close to matching the eBay price for unlocking 15 sterling vs 2 so went with an eBay code.

I managed to track down an Aliexpress seller who had replacement screens for around €50 (price now dropped to €41). The official Motorola repair agents in Ireland quoted me €125!!! I decided to order the screen without the front housing (i.e just LCD/digitizer attached to glass) to save money. I see that there's a seller on Aliexpress now doing the screen & front frame for a very reasonable price €47.56. If this had been available at the time I would have ordered it. It took about a month to arrive - there was a 10 day lead time before shipping which in fairness was made clear by the seller. If this had been available at the time I would have ordered it.

Dissasembling the phone was not too difficult - just need to pay attention to where the ribbon cable hinge latches as they're pretty delicate - I used the youtube guide above. I suspect the phone in the video had been taken apart before as I found that I needed to use considerably more force to remove the battery (it's stuck down with an adhesive pad). The ribbon cable for the screen was also glued down to the motherboard - the thin metal shielding plate (bit with the red marker in the picture below) is actually part of the cable and is stuck to a sticky pad on the motherboard.

305852.jpg

I tore the ribbon cable a bit when I unstuck it but it's integrated into the screen which was busted anyway. Removing the screen from the front housing just involved picking out the broken bits of glass - didn't take too long. It was stuck down with double sided tape which I removed and then cleaned the housing with iso propyl alcohol. I contacted the Aliexpress seller to see if tape was included with the screen - it wasn't but he threw in some for free. While I was waiting for him to reply I went ahead and ordered some 1mm wide double sided tape from eBay (just search for mobile phone tape) - it was only something like €3.50 and there was loads of it. Just as well I odered it as the screen only came with double sided pads for the top and bottom but none for the sides. Better to save yourself the bother and buy the screen with the front frame/housing already attached.

The screen is absolutely perfect and I believe the seller when he said it was an original part.

I see a guy on Aliexpress is now selling the front glass on it's own for €6.46 - obviously only worth considering if your LCD is ok. Unlikely to be gorilla glass at that price though. Presumably the repair would be similar to the one for the Samsung S3 on iFixit - be sure to read the comments and this link too bearing in mind the exact proceedure may be different for the Moto G. If you're not using the phone probably a good idea to see if you can get the glass off without damaging the LCD before you order the glass on it's own. Also would have to check with the seller if he supplies double sided tape too.

All in all a pretty easy fix if you take your time. Certainly a lot less fiddly than say changing an iPhone screen.

When the time comes the battery would be very easy to replace but the cheapest I could find was €41. Judging by the explosion in the number of people selling screens on Aliexpress there seems to be a big market for Moto G parts so hopefully battery prices should fall.

My daughter wants one of these, where us the best place to get one?

Best means cheapest?

Best means cheapest?

Yes or easiest get if parcel motel

Anybody managed to get the BBC iPlayer app installed on the Moto G? If so, how?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Really helpful... Thank you. My screen looks just like your shattered one!

How do I know if it's the LCD or the front screen that is broken? (I am quite terrible with technology... If I get the parts the guy in the phone shop near me will do the actual fixing for me).

QUOTE=digitaldr;90250597]I occasionally visit Northern Ireland and happened to be in a Tesco in Derry when I dropped my uncased Moto G 16gb smashing its screen (it landed on bottom left corner).

305845.jpg

Anyway I had read about the difficulty of getting the screen repaired so bought a new one there and then. It was locked to Tesco Mobile and the manager told me there was a mobile unlocking place in the shopping centre! They couldn't come close to matching the eBay price for unlocking 15 sterling vs 2 so went with an eBay code.

I managed to track down an Aliexpress seller who had replacement screens for around €50 (price now dropped to €41). The official Motorola repair agents in Ireland quoted me €125!!! I decided to order the screen without the front housing (i.e just LCD/digitizer attached to glass) to save money. I see that there's a seller on Aliexpress now doing the screen & front frame for a very reasonable price €47.56. If this had been available at the time I would have ordered it. It took about a month to arrive - there was a 10 day lead time before shipping which in fairness was made clear by the seller. If this had been available at the time I would have ordered it.

Dissasembling the phone was not too difficult - just need to pay attention to where the ribbon cable hinge latches as they're pretty delicate - I used the youtube guide above. I suspect the phone in the video had been taken apart before as I found that I needed to use considerably more force to remove the battery (it's stuck down with an adhesive pad). The ribbon cable for the screen was also glued down to the motherboard - the thin metal shielding plate (bit with the red marker in the picture below) is actually part of the cable and is stuck to a sticky pad on the motherboard.

305852.jpg

I tore the ribbon cable a bit when I unstuck it but it's integrated into the screen which was busted anyway. Removing the screen from the front housing just involved picking out the broken bits of glass - didn't take too long. It was stuck down with double sided tape which I removed and then cleaned the housing with iso propyl alcohol. I contacted the Aliexpress seller to see if tape was included with the screen - it wasn't but he threw in some for free. While I was waiting for him to reply I went ahead and ordered some 1mm wide double sided tape from eBay (just search for mobile phone tape) - it was only something like €3.50 and there was loads of it. Just as well I odered it as the screen only came with double sided pads for the top and bottom but none for the sides. Better to save yourself the bother and buy the screen with the front frame/housing already attached.

The screen is absolutely perfect and I believe the seller when he said it was an original part.

I see a guy on Aliexpress is now selling the front glass on it's own for €6.46 - obviously only worth considering if your LCD is ok. Unlikely to be gorilla glass at that price though. Presumably the repair would be similar to the one for the Samsung S3 on iFixit - be sure to read the comments and this link too bearing in mind the exact proceedure may be different for the Moto G. If you're not using the phone probably a good idea to see if you can get the glass off without damaging the LCD before you order the glass on it's own. Also would have to check with the seller if he supplies double sided tape too.

All in all a pretty easy fix if you take your time. Certainly a lot less fiddly than say changing an iPhone screen.

When the time comes the battery would be very easy to replace but the cheapest I could find was €41. Judging by the explosion in the number of people selling screens on Aliexpress there seems to be a big market for Moto G parts so hopefully battery prices should fall.[/QUOTE]

degsie wrote: »
    Anybody managed to get the BBC iPlayer app installed on the Moto G? If so, how?

Never mind, I figured it out eventually :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

If it's just the glass the display should still work perfectly. If this is the case probably best check with your repair guy as I'm guessing he would advise you to get the glass with LCD attached as just replacing the glass would be difficult. In fact if you just show him this http://m.aliexpress.com/search.htm?keywords=moto%20g%20lcd&sortType=PP_A&shippingCountry=IE&viewtype=1&onePieceOnly=true he should be able to tell you the best part to order. EBay is way more expensive.

Do share, PM if required !

My daughter wants one of these, where us the best place to get one?

Tesco or meteor in Ireland is 150 for the 8gb model, you can get them from tesco online in the UK and ship them to here using parcel motel and get the 16gb model for the same money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Do share, PM if required !

+1!

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    +1!

Just some jiggery pokery with a VPN and a UK Google account.

Have this a week now and really pleased with it, other than the lack of an external storage option which I'm more than happy to over look the only issue I have is that the back case/cover feels a little slippery for want of a better word, especially around the sides, are there any reasonably priced replacements that might offer more grip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Have this a week now and really pleased with it, other than the lack of an external storage option which I'm more than happy to over look the only issue I have is that the back case/cover feels a little slippery for want of a better word, especially around the sides, are there any reasonably priced replacements that might offer more grip?

I found the same when I got my phone, lovely feel but a slippery sob!! Got sorted with one of these
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Various-Colour-TPU-Gel-Jelly-Back-Case-Cover-for-New-Motorola-Moto-G-/380785672746?pt=UK_MobilePhones_MobilePhonesCasesPouches&var=&hash=item58a898422a
    Cheap and cheerful, does not slide through my hand, and protects against drops!! Have now dropped this phone a few times with this case on and it has survived. Highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

• Advertisement

Right guys, can anyone some cheap rugged protective back case?

Just something to cover the back, and protrude at the sides of the cover on the front so it comes a few mm above the screen.

Preferably nothing too bulky. Thanks.

Just something to cover the back, and protrude at the sides of the cover on the front so it comes a few mm above the screen.

Otterbox commuter.

As nice asThe Otterbox cases are I think I might go with something cheaper.

Does anyone have the Armour case with kickstand?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281239340707

Bit on the bulky side but theres been countless times when a kickstand would have came in handy so I've my finger on the trigger!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I got this for the wife last week, unbelievable price, unbelievable case. Actually less bulky than her eBay flip case. Just use parcel motel for delivery.
    http://www.ur-mobile.com/otterbox-defender-198446.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

As nice asThe Otterbox cases are I think I might go with something cheaper.

Does anyone have the Armour case with kickstand?

Bit on the bulky side but theres been countless times when a kickstand would have came in handy so I've my finger on the trigger!

I have the armour, good and tough, should protect screen if dropped on flat surface.
    Wife has otterbox, it looks better and has a higher lip to protect screen.
    I would have bought the otter Bo's too but it only came in one colour so two identical phones with matching covers in one house was going to get complicated.
    Bottom line, both provide adequate protection, otterbox looks better but my red armour case is growing on me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Anyone using Cabbage?

It crashes on me when sending messages, every time , seems to be at the reading capcha part (vodafone)

Hi, I'm also using cabbage but my sent messages never get saved in my text message folder unlike my other phones on which I used cabbage. This is very handy for copy and pasting messages etc

I've tried fiddling about with settings but no joy.
    Anyone else experience this?

catbear wrote: »
    I have the armour, good and tough, should protect screen if dropped on flat surface.
    Wife has otterbox, it looks better and has a higher lip to protect screen.
    I would have bought the otter Bo's too but it only came in one colour so two identical phones with matching covers in one house was going to get complicated.
    Bottom line, both provide adequate protection, otterbox looks better but my red armour case is growing on me.

Thank you cat bear! Perfect to hear from someone who has tried both! :)

Hi, I'm also using cabbage but my sent messages never get saved in my text message folder unlike my other phones on which I used cabbage. This is very handy for copy and pasting messages etc

I've tried fiddling about with settings but no joy.
    Anyone else experience this?

Actually now I check it's the same on mine.

For my issue regards the crashing, uninstalling the captcha app stopped the crashing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

I have the armour case too and it is good value. It adds bulk to a slim phone but I have dropped the phone a couple of times onto hard surfaces with it on and it has survived intact so far. Happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Advertisement
Advertisement