Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maartendekkers.cmapps

Install this and grab the CM camera app. Small improvement in focusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭fernandohierro

Got the moto g myself through tesco UK in January and have to say its a class phone for the price. My girlfriends galaxy s3 just broke so I said I'd get her my phone too.

Is tesco UK still the best price to the the original version of the moto G?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Nolars wrote: »
    Might give it a go better in what way exactly? quicker focus etc?

Easier to access settings and focus function is quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Google camera app gets a lot of horrible reviews.

I find it works well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'd wait for a 4G 5" model, no?

Ridiculous how they removed 4G for the 5" version, otherwise this would've been my perfect phone.

I think I might still get it.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Got the moto g myself through tesco UK in January and have to say its a class phone for the price. My girlfriends galaxy s3 just broke so I said I'd get her my phone too.

Just a heads up, my GF and I both have the same phones and as I like to piss her off I bought the same cover as hers which always leads to her taking away the wrong phone. Had plenty of giggles for the first few days but now its just a pain.

Still refusing to buy a new cover though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Just a heads up, my GF and I both have the same phones and as I like to piss her off I bought the same cover as hers which always leads to her taking away the wrong phone. Had plenty of giggles for the first few days but now its just a pain.

Still refusing to buy a new cover though.
    Could be a real pain if you're playing away from home & she sees some explicit texts!
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

If you can get a discount code then yeah.

Otherwise buy it from Meteor for €180 and pay £2 on eBay for an unlock code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Any concerns about fhem locking?

Tesco have it for £99 on vodafone, is it still possible to unlock that one?

Otherwise amazon via flubit (£5/4% off) comes in at 157.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Any concerns about fhem locking?

Tesco have it for £99 on vodafone, is it still possible to unlock that one?

Otherwise amazon via flubit (£5/4% off) comes in at 157.
    None, £2 to unlock from an eBay Seller (I've used him 6+ times).

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Motorola-Moto-G-Mobile-Phone-Unlock-Code-/111223239973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19e56bf525

• Advertisement

advertsfox wrote: »

The tesco £99 vodafone is a snip so at 125euro

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

After nearly a year with the moto g first gen , i was very happy with it untill i bought the 2 gen 5" in argos for 187 , with a days use of it i think 5" is the perfect size screen for me , it feels slimmer in the hand too and has a nicer rubber back cover than the first gen,front facing speakers does improve video watching , i went back to my first gen moto and it feels oddly small now , so if anyone is considering buying the first gen ,don't the second gen is worth the up grade if u can live with out 4g of course

bert911 wrote: »
    After nearly a year with the moto g first gen , i was very happy with it untill i bought the 2 gen 5" in argos for 187 , with a days use of it i think 5" is the perfect size screen for me , it feels slimmer in the hand too and has a nicer rubber back cover than the first gen,front facing speakers does improve video watching , i went back to my first gen moto and it feels oddly small now , so if anyone is considering buying the first gen ,don't the second gen is worth the up grade if u can live with out 4g of course
    Can you post a pic of both beside each other. I had a Z1 and felt that 5" form factor was too big for my hands - may have just been the square edges though.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

will do tonight advertsfox , i have a small to medium hand, and can use the 5" with one hand

Sold out at the moment, bastids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I had a Samsung s3 mini but battery was dying so I bought 5" in Argos cos I read so much about this moto g. Wasn't expecting miracles for the price. But I am genuinely amazed for the price. Easily as good as iPhone 5. Slim and light. Just brilliant.

Ordered the 16 gig for 129£ on tesco direct with £10 off using TDX-TLX6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Do any of you know what the icon is beside Vodafone IE on my Moto G? I can't find it listed anywhere as an Android icon or as a Vodafone one.

Screenshot_2014-10-18-16-55-42.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

nc6000 wrote: »
    Do any of you know what the icon is beside Vodafone IE on my Moto G? I can't find it listed anywhere as an Android icon or as a Vodafone one.

Looks like a gun, pointed straight at you. :eek: :)

If you don't post here again, maybe it was... :D

Not your ornery onager

What's running (Settings > Apps > Running) here? Do any icons in the list match? It appears to be a settings toggle / icon like from Tasker etc or below:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andrew.yeah
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=diewland.settings.mobilenetworks

• Advertisement

Just checked my running apps and nothing matches the icon.

Ok kill each running app one by one until the icon disappears - then you know what's associated.

Has to be one of your apps.

http://allaboutmotog.com/moto-g-how-to-guide/meaning-of-moto-g-notification-icons/

I've gone through all the running apps and killed the ones I could.

Here's a screenshot showing what is running and the icon is still there. Even if I go into Aeroplane Mode the icon remains so it's not a Vodafone one.

Screenshot_2014-10-21-10-35-41.png

Can you switch this? Just to see if it is Vodafone.

Screenshot_2014-06-04-22-19-53.png

Just tried that. Vodafone IE is gone but the icon remains.

Head melter. :D

Head melter. :D

Yep, it sure it.

It doesn't really bother me but I want to know why it's there!

Esel wrote: »
    Looks like a gun, pointed straight at you. :eek: :)

If you don't post here again, maybe it was... :D

Maybe I shouldn't put it near my head again.

• Advertisement

I've gone through all the running apps and killed the ones I could.

Here's a screenshot showing what is running and the icon is still there. Even if I go into Aeroplane Mode the icon remains so it's not a Vodafone one.

Screenshot_2014-10-21-10-35-41.png
    Tick "Show Cached Processes" as well.

Also, if not many - can you list and Widget / Settings / Toggles apps you have installed?

Do you have anything in your notification bar when you pull down (like static content or toggles)?

I stopped everything showing under cached processes.

Screenshot_2014-10-21-11-15-41.png

Just found out what it was. Powerful Control.

I removed it and the icon vanished. Funny how it didn't show as a running app or process.

Just found out what it was. Powerful Control.

I removed it and the icon vanished. Funny how it didn't show as a running app or process.
    Is there any settings in the app to have the notification hidden? A lot of new apps have that kind of setup (even Facebook Messenger) to keep the app running.

I just reinstalled it and I see in the settings that I can switch off the icon\notifications.

Thanks for the help, I can get my life back on track now. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Aw, I was going to say it looked like a power toggle app but I didn't want to sound stupid :pac: I could saved you 15 hours of sanity :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ordered the 16 gig for 129£ on tesco direct with £10 off using TDX-TLX6

Would that work on Tesco mobile over here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

ShaneU wrote: »
    Would that work on Tesco mobile over here?

No, not unless you unlock it. unlock codes can be purchased on ebay for just a few euro and work very well. Mine was also purchased locked to tesco uk and I unlocked it in this way. Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Is there any chance that it is just a really low resolution version of the inverted comma thing from Vodafone's logo?

duridian wrote: »
    Is there any chance that it is just a really low resolution version of the inverted comma thing from Vodafone's logo?

Thanks for the suggestion but I found out it was coming from the Powerful Control app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Ah, missed what you said about power control. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

advertsfox wrote: »
    Can you post a pic of both beside each other. I had a Z1 and felt that 5" form factor was too big for my hands - may have just been the square edges though.

325986.jpg

Apologies for the crap quality - not a comment on either handset's camera, obviously - but I think it shows the difference. I didn't appreciate it until I put them side-by-side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

deiseach wrote: »
    325986.jpg

Apologies for the crap quality - not a comment on either handset's camera, obviously - but I think it shows the difference. I didn't appreciate it until I put them side-by-side.

How are you finding battery life in comparison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

duridian wrote: »

You can turn off the carrier infomation in settings, mobile network settings, see if the icon goes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Simona1986 wrote: »

I'm probably not the best person to ask as I can charge my phone all day at work. In fact, I often don't charge it at home so I rob work's electricity. Yeah, I'm that scabby. All I can say is that I haven't had to change my pattern of charging. I don't notice any difference one way or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Simona1986 wrote: »

I've had mine since the week it came out. Had gen 1 for 9 months before that. I'm a high consumption user. Battery about same. No big difference. Maybe a little bit worse. Hard to notice difference if any.

Anyone find the screen (5") a bit too sensitive? Clicking when you just want to scroll?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Have my Moto G 3g about six months now and I must say it's the best phone I've ever had.
    Everything is responsive as hell with amazing screen. Only negatives is the lack of sd slot but i find sd cards tend to slow down phones.

Oh yeah and messages sent via cabbage aren't saved the phone unlike other phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Oh yeah and messages sent via cabbage aren't saved the phone unlike other phones

That's because the latest version of Android uses Hangouts for texts instead of the old Messaging app for which Cabbage was built for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Pov06 wrote: »
    That's because the latest version of Android uses Hangouts for texts instead of the old Messaging app for which Cabbage was built for.

Anyway to change it back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Anyone find the screen (5") a bit too sensitive? Clicking when you just want to scroll?

Yeah that. Only on certain apps though for some reason.
    I find as well that if I switch it off, all the apps on the home screens have moved around when I turn it back on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement