Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Just sold my First Gen 8GB Moto G online and I'm now looking to get either the 4G version or the 2014 version.

Not really sure which one to get to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭tiegan

I have the original also. I bought it last February Sim Free and I am very happy with it, but now and then it will display the No Sim icon and disconnect from the network and I have to re-seat the Sim to get it back. It doesn't happen often and I think it tends to happen if the phone has been stressed in my back pocket, or slightly bent. It's annoying but other than that it's great. I can live with it so I haven't had it replaced but if it got worse I would.

I too have had this start to happen to my phone recently. Bought it 11 months ago no probs, but now every now and then it drops mid call and no sim icon pops up and I have to pop it back in again. But very happy with the phone for the price apart from that - as a first time smart phone user it is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Looks like we are very forgiving owners if we are putting up with it losing the network connection or sim. I don't even get the no sim icon, just no network emergency calls only, even when I know I'm in a good area so it may take me a while to notice it has a problem.

They are smartPHONES, but read a review of phones and I don't think any reviewer ever mentions call quality and reliability to make and receive a phone call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I've been checking stock at Argos everyday for the past 2.5 weeks for the 5" model and still nothing. I sold my first gen moto g two days ago and using a cheapy phone for now until I get my new phone.

Elara.ie say they will have stock on the 11th November though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mondeo wrote: »
    I've been checking stock at Argos everyday for the past 2.5 weeks for the 5" model and still nothing. I sold my first gen moto g two days ago and using a cheapy phone for now until I get my new phone.

Elara.ie say they will have stock on the 11th November though.

Which branch!?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057323089

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Someone in BA said they got it for 159.99 in Meteor

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057323524

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys are any of you having slow wifi issues on your moto G 2nd generation?

My mum has a gen 1 Moto g and using the speed test app she get s around 35mbps

I have a gen 2 Moto g and using the speed test app I always get around 5-6mbps

I have restarted router and all the usual stuff but its still the same

Just bought the Moto G 4G, curious as to what 4G will be like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Just bought the Moto G 4G, curious as to what 4G will be like!

Thats an easy one, ****e :D

Nolars wrote: »
    Thats an easy one, ****e :D

:(

I live in a 4G area with all networks but I'm going to be using it on Three.

I hope it's at least decent!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Anyone got a link to a decent flip case for the 4g version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Anyone know where I can pick up a second gen (5") 4g model in Dublin?

Am I right in saying the second gen 4g is only available in 8gb and not in 16gb at all?

There is no 5 inch 4g model.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to a decent flip case for the 4g version?

I use this one, it was £5.99 when I bought it though.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H3QZXBA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is no 5 inch 4g model.

Really? That's a bit mad...

Is there much difference between the 4.5" and the 5" models spec wise? I'm finding it hard to see any differences online.

Is it worth getting the 4.5" 4g Version? And can you get it in 16gb?

Is there much difference between the 4.5" and the 5" models spec wise? I'm finding it hard to see any differences online.

Insides are exact same bar camera and screen size, no 4G to keep cost down and just use an SD card to bump the storage!

Insides are exact same bar camera and screen size, no 4G to keep cost down and just use an SD card to bump the storage!

Ah, cool... I think I'd like the 4g, I'm going to be switching to 3 and you gte free 4g with them (officially ends the end of this month BUT I know a fella who knows a fella and he reckons they will extend that indefinitely).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

There are rumours of a 4g 5" version in the pipeline, which makes sense given the 4g version of the 4.5" model came out within about six months of the original. If 4g is important to you (it isn't to me, I'm with Tesco who don't provide 4g) then the 4.5" model is worth buying over the 5". The bigger screen is the only benefit over the 4.5" model (edit: the dual sim is another difference, although that's a niche market) and I'm coming to the conclusion that the smaller model is a little bit more comfortable to hold.

The bigger screen is also worse in terms of pixel density. Its actually a pretty crappy upgrade from the original Moto g.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

My wife has the 2nd gen. 5 inch model. I have to say for it's price it is an excellent phone. The pixel density difference between the two is 329ppi vs 294 ppi. Would you really notice the difference? The other hardware difference (other than 4G) is the camera. The 4G has a 5MP camera vs 8MP on the 5 inch model. For my wife the 4G was not important so the decider was the camera. I use an iPhone 5 and found the larger 5 inch screen actually pretty comfortable to use. As with all phones it comes down to what you want to prioritize!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Looks like an updated 2nd gen is on the way with 4g, 64bit snapdragon 410 ;)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2014/11/10/moto-g-2014-update-4g-lte/

The bigger screen is also worse in terms of pixel density. Its actually a pretty crappy upgrade from the original Moto g.

I can't see much difference in the real world. The same is true of the battery. It should be worse, but I'm not experiencing any problems. But as an 'upgrade', you're right. All other things being equal, you'd be mad to trade up for the next gen model.

Marginal. I don't see it as an upgrade at all, just another option.

projectgtr wrote: »

The price will be interesting. I paid (admittedly with a bit of Parcel Motel-fu) about €110 for my first gen Moto G. That was crazy cheap, and I can't see a phone with 4g and an improved processor on top of the bigger screen and SD card slot being available for under €200, which pushes it out of the realm of a budget phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

I got the 5" last week. The screen is fantastic on it. The pixel density stats are one thing but for the average user they will not notice a difference. Although I was hesitant when buying, I am absolutely delighted with the bigger screen (I'm coming from an old 4.3" phone). I am also really happy with the camera, the f2.0 aperture gives it quite a wide field of view and the picture quality to me is great. I never used the 4.5" G so I can't compare with the older version.

The front facing speakers are a little added bonus too. The quality is much better than I thought - I'm sure in reviews and for audiophiles they wouldn't stack up against a better spec phone but let's be honest, most of us would use a phone to listen to music in bed or watch videos or whatever and for that the speakers are fantastic.

Really couldn't recommend the 5" phone enough, for anyone debating between 4.5" or 5" this might offer a small insight!

• Advertisement

Just bought the 4g version yesterday, didn't see the 5 inch as a decent option. Its just too big for some people. I've a 5 inch myself, which is perfect, couldn't use anything smaller.
    But i was buying it as a gift, so size was a big consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

projectgtr wrote: »

This is what I was hoping for. I was planning to get the 5" current model but the lack of 4g was annoying me so I'm gonna wait awhile now for this newer iteration.

Just numbers. You can't see pixels this small.

I know that, just seems strange to have an upgrade with worse specs than the original.
    You'd expect a decent upgrade, not the same cpu, same screen density(practically), same RAM.

Don't get me wrong, its still a way in a far the best you can buy from a bricks & mortar store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Wheres the best place to buy folks?
    Girl friend's birthday coming up and she needs a phone and I need to get a pressie for her!:D

• Advertisement

I know that, just seems strange to have an upgrade with worse specs than the original.
    You'd expect a decent upgrade, not the same cpu, same screen density(practically), same RAM.

Don't get me wrong, its still a way in a far the best you can buy from a bricks & mortar store.

Are you thinking of the OnePlus One? The only phone that made me wobble in my determination to get the latest Moto G was the OnePlus One. Looks like an extraordinary piece of kit, Lexus specs at Corolla prices. Once you end up paying close to €200 for a Moto G, and with any 4g likely to cost even more, the OnePlus One looks the business. The problem would be getting one!

Panthro wrote: »
    Wheres the best place to buy folks?
    Girl friend's birthday coming up and she needs a phone and I need to get a pressie for her!:D

Sim free in Argos for €187.49. Considering Tesco are charging €179.99 for a locked one, I think that's pretty good. Supposedly it can be ordered at any store.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If it's the same, then how is it worse?

Better front and rear camera, dual speakers, dual SIM as standard and MicroSD slot (compared to the original) and larger screen for a small pixel density decrease. I thought it was a good deal.

It's not like they discontinued the other models, if you prefer those specs, that's fine but the 5" is definitely not 'worse than the originial'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Screen as excellent, stats on paper don't mean everything, 98% of people know that.

Screen as excellent, stats on paper don't mean everything, 98% of people know that.

s6pw6s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Lollipop rolling out on the Moto G 5 inch in parts of the US now
    http://phandroid.com/2014/11/12/moto-g-lollipop-ota/

To anyone who bought the 4G version from Tesco how long did it take to get to ParcelMotel?

I'm going in holiday next week so I really want it beforehand.

To anyone who bought the 4G version from Tesco how long did it take to get to ParcelMotel?

I'm going in holiday next week so I really want it beforehand.

I bought the original Moto G from Tesco in the UK on 14/12 last year and Parcel Motel delivered it on 19/12. Considering it was Christmas, it was outstanding service all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

A bit off topic but is the Moto E any good? So impressed by the G thought it would be a good kids first Smartphone. Anyone have experience of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

A bit off topic but is the Moto E any good? So impressed by the G thought it would be a good kids first Smartphone. Anyone have experience of it?

My husband bought it his second (work phone) he's very impressed with it.

• Advertisement

dave13 wrote: »
    Lollipop rolling out on the Moto G 5 inch in parts of the US now
    http://phandroid.com/2014/11/12/moto-g-lollipop-ota/

Goddamit, every time my phone bleeps I'm thinking "a-HA, here it is!"

Will the 4.5" version get lollipop too?

Will the 4.5" version get lollipop too?

Yes. All Moto Gs will get it.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/software-upgrade-news/g_id/1949?linkId=10217927#gs=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lads any shops selling the White 4g? Also are the second gen still easy to unlock via eBay code? Is the pm Tesco UK still an option?

Nimr wrote: »
    Yes. All Moto Gs will get it.

Ah deadly. I might pull the trigger on a 4g version from tescodirect so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

picked up a moto g today in meteor for 159 euro, 8gb 4g ,sd slot comming from a s4 which crapped itself after latest firmware update

some phone for the money

picked up a moto g today in meteor for 159 euro, 8gb 4g ,sd slot comming from a s4 which crapped itself after latest firmware update

some phone for the money

Which meteor store?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the meteor/eircom store on william st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Hey guys quick question. Can either version be expanded with sd card?

• Advertisement

gufc21 wrote: »
    Hey guys quick question. Can either version be expanded with sd card?

Not the first one. Only the 4G and second gen models.

Advertisement