Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Hey, I'm still waiting for it on my Nexus 7. :pac:

You'd want to have been using Gingerbread on your phone not to have seen the fury that came from Nexus users that they have been deprived of the honour of being first by Motorola. At this stage I'd guess that for the vast majority of Nexus users they will get it long before Motorola users because the business of getting Lollipop out 'first' was a publicity stunt. And that's what makes it annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

deiseach wrote: »
    I think Motorola have royally screwed up with their approach to the rollout of Lollipop. One of the virtues of the Moto family is having such a plain version of Android. The main reason I rooted my previous Huawei phone was to get rid of the Vodafone bloatware - I DON'T WANT VODAFONE MUSIC, WHY CAN'T I GET RID OF THIS CRAP? - and the apps the Moto G has preinstalled are either potentially useful (Assist) or absolutely brilliant (Migrate).

Lollipop is full of bugs and Google can barely get decent updates out to Nexus devices. Motorola are working on it. If you've got a 2013 Moto G there's not a chance you'll get it before the Moto's 2014 devices.

beno619 wrote: »
    Lollipop is full of bugs and Google can barely get decent updates out to Nexus devices. Motorola are working on it. If you've got a 2013 Moto G there's not a chance you'll get it before the Moto's 2014 devices.

I imagine you are right. I'm sure they're not sitting on the update for the crack. But that just makes a greater mockery of their effort to squeeze out the first phase of the rollout before those on Nexus devices. Admitting that it was just a soak test or that the limited rollout revealed loadsa bugs would undermine the value of their coup. Have they never heard of under-promising and over-delivering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I imagine you are right. I'm sure they're not sitting on the update for the crack. But that just makes a greater mockery of their effort to squeeze out the first phase of the rollout before those on Nexus devices. Admitting that it was just a soak test or that the limited rollout revealed loadsa bugs would undermine the value of their coup. Have they never heard of under-promising and over-delivering?

As far as im aware Moto promised nothing ? It would have been great to beat the nexus devices but if anyone really wants Lollipop they can head over to XDA grab the test rom and flash away.

beno619 wrote: »
    As far as im aware Moto promised nothing ? It would have been great to beat the nexus devices but if anyone really wants Lollipop they can head over to XDA grab the test rom and flash away.

They got the update out first to a handful of customers in the States, thus reaping a publicity bonanza. There's been precious little publicity from them since. No harm, but it's instructive in the way they want to conduct business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭tritriagain

i returned my phone to fonefix as it wouldnt turn on after trying all possible solutions . returned it on 21/11/14 . logged in to fone fix friday and estimated date of soluion is 19/12/2014. have been chatting to motorola customer support and the are quite frankly useless.
    i have 3 different reference names . i got an email about my original chat 1 week later looking for my imei and name which i had already given. i went on to chat support today to ask was there any update to try and speed things up but there is no chat support on tuesday. to be honest i was going to buy a moto x for my wife for christmas but after seeing
    how poor customer service and repair is i will look elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Interesting poll here (scroll down for the comments). Seems to be good news for Nexus 4 & 5, not so great for 7...

Think I'm gonna wait for 5.1, to be honest... unless anyone here with a 1G Moto G can tell me it works on theirs? :D

peckerhead wrote: »
    Interesting poll here (scroll down for the comments). Seems to be good news for Nexus 4 & 5, not so great for 7...

Think I'm gonna wait for 5.1, to be honest... unless anyone here with a 1G Moto G can tell me it works on theirs? :D

It's like vaccines. You have to have a certain amount of people taking it for everyone to be protected. Bring it on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I was thinking about upgrading from my original moto g to the bigger 5" model.
    I heard about weird multitasking issues on the newer one? Apps keep closing themselves in the background. Its described as some sort of memory bug...
    Anyone have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 certifiable365

I was thinking about upgrading from my original moto g to the bigger 5" model.
    I heard about weird multitasking issues on the newer one? Apps keep closing themselves in the background. Its described as some sort of memory bug...
    Anyone have this?

I bought the 5" model about a month ago.
    I have not found that issue at all, in fact the performance of it has been brilliant, with long list of apps open at any given time, i haven't found any inadvertently closing, nor it becoming slow - very happy with it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Where is the cheapest place to get a Moto G 5"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to get a Moto G 5"?

GearBest ;)

No but seriously, Tesco Direct or Argos IE seem to have them cheap enough.

any codes for Tesco Direct? Seem to remember a £10 or £15 off one.

any codes for Tesco Direct? Seem to remember a £10 or £15 off one.

I have a £10 off code here somewhere but I think there are £15 ones going around for Christmas.

• Advertisement

£10 one is TDX-7KPG.

Haven't a clue if it's still valid or not though.

Argos has a load of 5" moto G's in stock at the moment. Anyone looking to get one should take a look and their dual sim variants too. I reserved one and I'm collecting it on Monday in Tallaght. Looking forward to the extra half an inch compared to my 2013 moto G :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Argos has a load of 5" moto G's in stock at the moment. Anyone looking to get one and their dual s variants too. I reserved one and I'm collecting it on Monday.

All European 5" are dual SIM.

All European 5" are dual SIM.

Are they dual standby? Or you select one sim to be active at at time from the settings?

Are they dual standby? Or you select one sim to be active at at time from the settings?

Not sure TBH, I have only one in mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Android 5.0 Lollipop rollout for the original Moto G's has started in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Where can I get a flip cover for the 5inch moto g? Thanks

Gotya wrote: »
    Where can I get a flip cover for the 5inch moto g? Thanks

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=moto+g+5+flip&_sacat=0

Lot's there.

Lads,

I'm looking for a clear gel type of case for my 1st Gen Moto G, anyone know where I can get one?

Ever heard of eBay? ;)

Loads of them here: http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_odkw=moto+g+X1032&Material=Silicone%252FGel%252FRubber&_from=R40%7CR40%7CR40&_dcat=20349&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=moto+g+X1032+case&_sacat=0

Both are active for calls at the same time.

Both are active for calls at the same time.

great so I will have a work number and personal number on same phone without carrying two bloody phones anymore. I'm looking forward to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I just ordered the Moto G Gen 2.

Have I made a good choice or a bad mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Very good choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lol thus why I deleted my post wasn't fast enough though lol. I was checking Amazon for a decent brand one like Spigen I'll try one off eBay.

Im buying mine Monday morning..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Couldn't get better for the price. Only problem I have (which I presume is my fault) is any time I switch it off, when I turn it back on again all the apps turn up in random places so I have to move them all back to where I want them again.
    Anyone got a fix for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Couldn't get better for the price. Only problem I have (which I presume is my fault) is any time I switch it off, when I turn it back on again all the apps turn up in random places so I have to move them all back to where I want them again.
    Anyone got a fix for that?

I had that after I moved the apps to the sd card. Moving them back solve it.

Seems the Lollipop update is rolling out on 2013 Moto G's in India. Good news for owners of that device that Motorola haven't decided to devote all efforts to the newer models.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

Pardon my ignorance. It it right to assume that the Moto G 5" is the "2nd Gen". Different sites seemed to be calling it different things. Where is the best place to buy one. Tesco direct from the UK? £149

dots104 wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance. It it right to assume that the Moto G 5" is the "2nd Gen". Different sites seemed to be calling it different things. Where is the best place to buy one. Tesco direct from the UK? £149

It's right to assume the Moto G 5" is the "2nd gen". The rumour mill had the new model called the Moto G2 but when it came out it was still called the Moto G, which is confusing. It's currently available sim free in Argos for €187.49.

I just picked up my 5" moto g from Argos just now.. I'm not disappointed..... Its a reasonable upgrade from my older 2013 g.

Make sure the factory seal is on the box before you leave the store though. The first one they gave me had a broken seal so they gave me another one so its all good.

I thought lollipop was already available for the moto g second generation? Its not showing up on mine anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's not made it this side of the Atlantic yet. Not really sure if I want it tbh.

• Advertisement

It's not made it this side of the Atlantic yet. Not really sure if I want it tbh.

I'm not updating straight of way anyways when it arrives.. I heard its a little buggy.

I thought lollipop was already available for the moto g second generation? Its not showing up on mine anyways.

Only for a handful in the US.

Dropped mine on gravel yesterday resulting in two large dents in the bezel. I don't think these would survive many drops.

Has anyone a suggestion for a case that doesn't add much bulk? Looking at this Ringke job for £5.99 right now - http://amzn.to/1r0Ge8n

I have this case here now.

Nice smooth matt finish, good snappy fit. Looks like decent protection.

Bezel edges are raised and feel slightly sharp to touch, there is also a seam below the button panels that also feels sharp. Button recesses feel too deep.

That's a thumbs down for me. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I have this case here now.

Nice smooth matt finish, good snappy fit. Looks like decent protection.

Bezel edges are raised and feel slightly sharp to touch, there is also a seam below the button panels that also feels sharp. Button recesses feel too deep.

That's a thumbs down for me. :rolleyes:

Nail file fixed the rough edges for me, very happy with the ringke and the screen protector is decent too, so thumbs up from me (and free shipping too).

My moto g 2014 model I just bought yesterday in Argos has developed a screen issue. Bottom quatre of the screen has turned a yellowy colour. I'm very disappointed but I guess I'll just get it exchanged in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

Bought this phone 2 months ago, I was happy enough with it to be honest. I came from a Window's phone where I had no problems. With android I notice updates are needed on apps every day!

So 2 days ago when I was in a WiFi area, I updated my apps, thinking it would take a few mins as usual.... It took forever! It nearly looks like the phone has reset or something!

Since then, the phone has been sluggish, when I press buttons it won't react, keeps closing etc and now this morning I notice I've lost all my contacts!!! I'm really annoyed with it.

Anyone else have this issue??

• Advertisement

Anyone else notice a problem with the RTÉ News app (please assume all wise cracks about it being crap have already been made)? My battery never gets me through the day, which doesn't bother me too much because I sit at a desk all day and can charge it on work time. Out of a sense of curiosity though, I checked the battery stats and found the RTÉ app uses far more than any other one and is nearly as much of a drain as the screen! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it made no difference.

Anyone else notice a problem with the RTÉ News app (please assume all wise cracks about it being crap have already been made)? My battery never gets me through the day, which doesn't bother me too much because I sit at a desk all day and can charge it on work time. Out of a sense of curiosity though, I checked the battery stats and found the RTÉ app uses far more than any other one and is nearly as much of a drain as the screen! I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and it made no difference.

Check the background updating, or whatever settings are available.

Check the background updating, or whatever settings are available.

Switched that off. Doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I just got out of Argos with my replacement moto g 2014 because the lower half of the screen had a yellow tint.. My new one has a yellow tint on the top quatre of the screen now and it's much worse this time....

Back to Argos again now....jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

do 64gb sd cards work in the 2014 model?

• Advertisement
Advertisement