Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Scruff wrote: »
    do 64gb sd cards work in the 2014 model?

Yes.

Hi guys,

Got a new Moto E today from Tesco Mobile, but I am finding the screen can be pushed in very easily, showing the pixels/screen colouration as I press down with very little force. Even just regular tapping on the screen shows it.

Anyone else see this on their Moto G or E?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Got a new Moto E today from Tesco Mobile, but I am finding the screen can be pushed in very easily, showing the pixels/screen colouration as I press down with very little force. Even just regular tapping on the screen shows it.

Anyone else see this on their Moto G or E?

Not having that issue. Sounds like a batch of dodgy screens leaked through.

Not having that issue. Sounds like a batch of dodgy screens leaked through.

Picking another handset up in-store today, will let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I just wish my moto g 2013 would do basic phone things like when in a call and the signal drops one bar that the other party's voice becomes like a scrambled alien, and I believe it's the same on this years models, so not recommended as a work phone or if you make a lot of calls.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    Picking another handset up in-store today, will let you know.

Same issue with the handset I bought in store, returned it straight away. Pity :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Picked up my 3rd moto G 2014 model today after my first two had dodgy screens.. Fingers crossed this one doesn't go bad on me. The first two had yellow blobs on them, this one I have now seems to be a good clean bright screen all round. Charging ports looked abit wonky on the previous two also..Not straight but sitting on the phone very crooked.

Funnily enough I noticed some differences between these phones and I don't know if it's a 'batch' thing or not. My first one didn't have click into place sim slots but just literally slid in without locking into position. My second and third one have click into place sim slots. I wonder why that was?

I suspect Motorola have to do a bit more work on their quality control... Obviously dodgy screens out of the box is bull. Even though I think I have a good moto g now I'm kinda put off it abit from all the effing about the place. Doesn't feel special anymore:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I have this case here now.

Nice smooth matt finish, good snappy fit. Looks like decent protection.

Bezel edges are raised and feel slightly sharp to touch, there is also a seam below the button panels that also feels sharp. Button recesses feel too deep.

That's a thumbs down for me. :rolleyes:

That looks very similar to Nillkin Moto G case that I have, I love the back texture, but the bottom edges do feel sharp indeed.

nillkin-hard-plastic-case-back-cover-for-moto-g-phone-case-black-p201312290726058650.jpg

Anybody receive Lollipop on their 1st gen Moto G (XT1039) yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

My GPE converted Moto G (XT1032) showed up the OTA update for Lollipop. Updated and I'm enjoying it so far, battery holds charge so well now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Pov06 wrote: »
    My GPE converted Moto G (XT1032) showed up the OTA update for Lollipop. Updated and I'm enjoying it so far, battery holds charge so well now!
    Is that the Brazilian version? Any drawbacks?

Nice! Have you noticed if you're getting homescreen redraws or applications being kicked out of RAM anymore? Many Moto G owners experienced that on 4.4.4, including myself. It's so annoying to open Chrome, a few tabs and then you tap the Home button and it's blank and you have to wait a few seconds for it to re-appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Hey lads, I got a Moto G 4g 4.5" version on the 21st of November and I've been mostly happy with the phone accept for one little issue.

When I search for a business in google and the business address and contact details show at the top of the search returns, if I try to click the call icon nothing happens.
    Instead of opening the phone app/function it just opens another page in chome and gets stuck.

Anyone have a fix for this.

very annoying, especially is using the "ok google" feature and you say "ok google, find me a taxi in dublin 15" and the try to "call" the number who appears!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

Just recently purchase the moto g 5". Great phone considering the price and im coming from a Nexus 4 (cracked screen). I've been using ok google for the first time and thinks it better cool feature. But i've recently changed launcher (buzz launcher) and it doesnt seem to work. Is it possible to use "ok google" feature in 3rd party launchers.

Moto g 5" is only €164 in argos at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

dots104 wrote: »
    Just recently purchase the moto g 5". Great phone considering the price and im coming from a Nexus 4 (cracked screen). I've been using ok google for the first time and thinks it better cool feature. But i've recently changed launcher (buzz launcher) and it doesnt seem to work. Is it possible to use "ok google" feature in 3rd party launchers.

I think Apex works with google now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Nova Launcher works with Google Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Has anyone come up with a solution to the home screen lag on the Moto G 2014 (5")?

Has anyone come up with a solution to the home screen lag on the Moto G 2014 (5")?

Mine does not lag on the home screen. Tried a factory reset? There is suppose to be a memory bug with this newer moto g's that cause the ram to fill up and the phone can lag like a wet dog on a Sunday. I can't say mine is lagging at all though but I've had other issues not related to lag.

• Advertisement

If it's Lollipop, try a different launcher like Nova and disable encryption (check XDA for guides).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I've reset it alright but I still get that slight redraw delay sometimes when I go from an app back to the home screen, takes maybe a second to populate.

Not lollipop btw, haven't got that OTA yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Is it possible to use "ok google" feature in 3rd party launchers.

What exactly do you mean by this?
    Do you mean saying "OK Google" to the phone and having it respond from the homescreen or just from the Google Now screen?

I'm using Buzz and have had no problems with OK Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Nice! Have you noticed if you're getting homescreen redraws or applications being kicked out of RAM anymore? Many Moto G owners experienced that on 4.4.4, including myself. It's so annoying to open Chrome, a few tabs and then you tap the Home button and it's blank and you have to wait a few seconds for it to re-appear.

Not noticed any redraws. Home screen shows up instantly. The biggest thing is battery, it lasts ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

Nono Toure wrote: »
    Bought this phone 2 months ago, I was happy enough with it to be honest. I came from a Window's phone where I had no problems. With android I notice updates are needed on apps every day!

So 2 days ago when I was in a WiFi area, I updated my apps, thinking it would take a few mins as usual.... It took forever! It nearly looks like the phone has reset or something!

Since then, the phone has been sluggish, when I press buttons it won't react, keeps closing etc and now this morning I notice I've lost all my contacts!!! I'm really annoyed with it.

Anyone else have this issue??

Apps updating often are considered a good thing generally, stop it doing it automatically if it bugs you. Try restarting it for the lag problem, can't help with whatever happened with your contacts, are you sure they're gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

What exactly do you mean by this?
    Do you mean saying "OK Google" to the phone and having it respond from the homescreen or just from the Google Now screen?

I'm using Buzz and have had no problems with OK Google.

Ye thats what i meant. The option was greyed out in settings but seems to be available now.

• Advertisement

Can anyone else see their moto g 5" models digitizer in bright light? Just a random thing I noticed. Don't think it was visible on my 2013 moto g.

Not noticed any redraws. Home screen shows up instantly. The biggest thing is battery, it lasts ages.

Thanks for info!

Hopefully it's more or less fixed, because it's so annoying on KitKat.

Moto G 2013/2014 are getting the lollipop update now it seems... I'm still gonna hold off a bit to view others experiences first though.

I cannot post the link since I'm a new user but check gsmarena.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Moto G 2013/2014 are getting the lollipop update now it seems...

In Ireland?

Nim wrote: »
    In Ireland?

Don't think so. At least my XT1039 isn't getting anything.

• Advertisement

Nim wrote: »
    In Ireland?

Mine hasn't got it yet but its being rolled out now properly and not soak tested anymore so we should all get it super soon now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

At this stage I'm expecting it to come down the chimney on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

peckerhead wrote: »
    At this stage I'm expecting it to come down the chimney on Christmas Eve.

Ho Ho Ho!
    Wonder will it clear the cookies?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Where could I get the plug needed to charge the moto G 2nd gen, or what is it even called, I have the cable that came with it but no plug?

Sorry if this is a silly question :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Gotya wrote: »
    Where could I get the plug needed to charge the moto G 2nd gen, or what is it even called, I have the cable that came with it but no plug?

No such thing as a silly question, USB plug, Powercity around €6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Tesco. Fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Thanks for the replys, I don't live near a power city and I need one before Christmas.

The cheapest one I could see in Tesco, car phone warehouse is around 20 euro that also includes the USB cable that I don't need.

Is there somewhere I can just buy the plug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Have you not got a charger from an older android. They are all the same connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Thanks for the replys, I don't live near a power city and I need one before Christmas.

The cheapest one I could see in Tesco, car phone warehouse is around 20 euro that also includes the USB cable that I don't need.

Is there somewhere I can just buy the plug?

Euro Giant, Mr. Price, any crappy cheap store like that, any electrical store, dunnes maybe, most phone shops. You can pick them up all over the gaff.

The Moto G 5" is now available to order for collection in every single Argos. Most dates some in between the 27th and 29th and it's still only €164.95!

http://www.checkargos.com/StockCheckPage.php?productId=258%2F3367

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2583367.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

It's just a standard USB cable, so you should be able to plug it into any laptop or PC. Or ask almost anyone under the age of 40ish and they likely have several of them floating about in drawers, in the car, in their bag, etc . . .

z

Very cheap at €164. Although I got 4 of them from the Argos before I got a good one with a non defective screen. Iffy batch I dunno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I have the new 2014 model since October, it's ok but I'm not overly happy with it. Coming from a Window's 7.8 phone I thought the Android would be great. It was initially. But in the last while it freezes at times, when I go back to the home screen it stays black for 2 or 3 seconds and then the apps appear.

When browsing, if I say open a web page then go back to home screen again for a sec, and then back to the webpage it always has to reload the page, I don't get that. Apps & web pages just close randomly at times. As annoying as Window's was at times (Viber & Whatsapp especially) the phone itself (Nokia Lumia 800) was better than the Moto G I think.

I find that the apps need updating every other day! Last week I went to the play store, loads of my apps needed updating, so I clicked update all, phone was out of order for 3 hours while updating, and it changed all my settings, lost all my contacts and since then basically the phone hasn't been the same.

Anywho, rant over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

updating apps is a good thing. it means an active developer. Your internet is probably the reason for slow updates, nothing to do with the phone.

Perhaps Lollipop will sort out your issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

But in most cases the updates are for fixing bugs, and most end users won't see a difference. Then everyone is updating because the operating system is being updated and also fixing their own bugs...

So my daughter got the 4g version for Xmas and would you f@cking believe it the touch screen is faulty, in the top right hand side corner it has a spot which is like its being pressed all the time, best way to check it was downloaded a free piano app and it pressing the piano key on its own hope I can change it as it was bought in Argos. Pretty disappointed tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Surely if there was a fault with the phone when you opened it, and you have proof of purchase, they're legally obliged to exchange it? Some shops might not do refunds until January.

Surely if there was a fault with the phone when you opened it, and you have proof of purchase, they're legally obliged to exchange it? Some shops might not do refunds until January.

Id say I'll be ok with Argos, just disappointed with the build quality and QA checks on the phones.

Id say I'll be ok with Argos, just disappointed with the build quality and QA checks on the phones.

I had no issue returning my moto g to Argos with a faulty screen. Just make sure you can replicate the problem in store like I did and they will swop it no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

So my daughter got the 4g version for Xmas and would you f@cking believe it the touch screen is faulty, in the top right hand side corner it has a spot which is like its being pressed all the time, best way to check it was downloaded a free piano app and it pressing the piano key on its own hope I can change it as it was bought in Argos. Pretty disappointed tbh!

There are also dedicated touch test apps.

Advertisement