Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Hanley209

Hey lads and ladies,
    anyone using a first gen Moto G (XT1032) with Cyanogenmod? I've had Paranoid Android working on it before, decided I wanted a change, so I've installed the M6 update a couple of times now but keep getting com.android.systemui error on startup. Would appreciate if anyone knows a stable nightly to use. It's my only (smart) phone so I'm reluctant to try a randomer :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

Which of these is 4g?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Got the wife a Moto G for Xmas (2014 5" version) and it a dodgy digitizer, dead spot around letter "e" on the keypad. Back it will gave to go to Flubit I'm afraid. Seems I'm not the only one having issues with the screen on the G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Which of these is 4g?

The Moto G LTE. It has a 4.5" screen and an sd card slot. I think my model is xt1043.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Just wiped cache partition from recovery again on 2014 model. Motorola seriously better get an update out soon or I'm changing brands next time. It's unacceptable to have such serious problems unaddressed for so long. Under Google ownership this would not have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Just wiped cache partition from recovery again on 2014 model. Motorola seriously better get an update out soon or I'm changing brands next time. It's unacceptable to have such serious problems unaddressed for so long. Under Google ownership this would not have happened.

I'm thinking the same, I think the older 2013 model was better built. The 2014 one is the model most people are complaining about. I wish I just kept my old 2013 one as the current one been a disaster for me.

What , why are you wiping the cache partition? That's not an optimal solution is your phone is running slow. Unless your doing it accidentally in recovery mode heh, sorry your wording is ambiguous on whether you want to perform the wipe :)

On another note, just flashed 5.0.1 Lollipop onto my XT1032 while I wait for a stable nightly. Working beautifully, Lollipop is purty. Not a huge difference beyond the visual so far, although estimated battery life has shot up to 3 days from just over 32 hours so thats a plus. Guide is on XDA.

Hanley209 wrote: »
    What , why are you wiping the cache partition? That's not an optimal solution is your phone is running slow. Unless your doing it accidentally in recovery mode heh, sorry your wording is ambiguous on whether you want to perform the wipe :)

It's the recommended solution for the multi tasking and crash problems... And it works. As I said I did it in recovery.

It's the recommended solution for the multi tasking and crash problems... And it works. As I said I did it in recovery.

After a little digging I found 2 possible solutions. Try switching your runtime to ART in developer options and restart. The other possibility requires an unlocked boot loader and root so maybe sending it back to retailer would be better. Follow instructions here
    wwwredditcom/r/motog/comments/2mgxe5/im_sick_of_the_moto_gs_lack_of_ram/cm443fu
    Can't post proper link sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

On another note, just flashed 5.0.1 Lollipop onto my XT1032 while I wait for a stable nightly. Working beautifully, Lollipop is purty. Not a huge difference beyond the visual so far, although estimated battery life has shot up to 3 days from just over 32 hours so thats a plus. Guide is on XDA.

Is the thread for the Brazilian ROM?

C-Shore wrote: »
    Is the thread for the Brazilian ROM?

I think so. I can't post links due to my low post number, but go to the moto g general forum and look for the thread titled Ultimate Guide to flash GPE lollipop onto moto g.

After a little digging I found 2 possible solutions. Try switching your runtime to ART in developer options and restart. The other possibility requires an unlocked boot loader and root so maybe sending it back to retailer would be better. Follow instructions here
    wwwredditcom/r/motog/comments/2mgxe5/im_sick_of_the_moto_gs_lack_of_ram/cm443fu
    Can't post proper link sorry.

Tried art runtime now so will see how get on. If not maybe I will root and use another rom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Tried art runtime now so will see how get on. If not maybe I will root and use another rom.

I tried switching to ART runtime as my Moto G is fairly sluggish and background apps frequently lose state, but ART was seriously buggy so I changed back to Dalvik.

Possibly you need to do a factory reset first, as (AFAIK) apps installed under Dalvik probably won't run well under ART. Anyway, I'm going to wait for Lollipop to see if that improves things.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I tried switching to ART runtime as my Moto G is fairly sluggish and background apps frequently lose state, but ART was seriously buggy so I changed back to Dalvik.

Possibly you need to do a factory reset first, as (AFAIK) apps installed under Dalvik probably won't run well under ART. Anyway, I'm going to wait for Lollipop to see if that improves things.

Yep. The wait goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Im thinking of getting this phone, is this a stock android phone? Also has anyone had any issues with their 2nd Gen Moto G?

Very cheap at €164. Although I got 4 of them from the Argos before I got a good one with a non defective screen. Iffy batch I dunno.

What was the defective screen issue? A black spot on the screen?

Im thinking of getting this phone, is this a stock android phone? Also has anyone had any issues with their 2nd Gen Moto G?.

What was the defective screen issue? A black spot on the screen?

Yellow blobs on the screen..... Particularly at the top... Cheapy screens on these new gen moto G's I think. They are just not built as well as the older ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I have the Moto G 4G / LTE and it's great, display looks great too.
    This one has a microSD card slot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

+1 The only fault I can find with the phone is that the microSD card doesn't go in with a click as does the sim card which means that occasionally the phone can lose contact with the memory card it so you have to peel off the cover, pull out the card and reseat it.

I thought this was a fault until I spotted in the instructional manual that the sim goes in with a click but there was no mention of the same features with the memory card. It's weird when you consider that there is a gripper hook on the microSD card but the sim has smooth sides with nothing to grip :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

+2

• Advertisement

There is an even newer iteration of the moto g 5" coming along soon and its identical to the current 5" model bar added 4G connectivity. Maybe they will have polished some of the build issues with the current 5" who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 barro32

There is an even newer iteration of the moto g 5" coming along soon and its identical to the current 5" model bar added 4G connectivity. Maybe they will have polished some of the build issues with the current 5" who knows.

Can you give any more details? Source? I was gonna buy a Moto G this week because my Nexus 4 broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Better battery too, might be a while getting here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Better battery too, might be a while getting here though.

I saw a release time frame of february or March mentioned somewhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

My orginal Moto G is on the way out, vibration doesnt work anymore or is extremely weak if does work. It shutsdown without randomly etc so was planning on getting the latest 5 inch Moto G but hearing about the new version with 4G and a better battery means I am going to wait a little longer and see what the release will be on upgraded verison. Hopefully soon, its been leaked on a brazilian site so it probably wont be too much longer. Hopefully we will see an announcement at CES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Has anyone got the 2014 version Lollipop OTA yet?

BopNiblets wrote: »

Nope.

BopNiblets wrote: »

No, dunno what's going on with that. US got it in November and here we are January still stuck on KitKat still. There was a report maybe two weeks that the remainder of all moto g were getting it now but not many on XDA are claiming any OTAs. Maybe its the Lenova thing that made a balls of the fast updates. Wish I bought a Nexus 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 digitalnative

I’m looking to buy the Moto g 5 inch mobile but I’m not sure where the best place to buy it from is? I’ve looked at the following sites:

• expansys

• pixmania

• littlewoodsireland

Has anyone ever bought this phone or any other item from these sites? If so did you receive a good service i.e. did the product arrive on time in working order?

I’ve also looked at buying from Argos here in Ireland, but they are currently out of stock.
    I was also thinking of buying from Amazon UK but I was worried they wouldn’t deliver to Ireland and they phone would not work here?

Currently I have a basic Pay As you Go phone which is connected Meteor 3 network. I’d like to keep this payment as well as the network.

Tesco say this phone is exclusive to them in Ireland. Does that mean I can’t use it on another network? What does SIM free and Dual SIM mean?

Sorry about the stupid questions, but I’m new to the Smartphone game!!

Any advice or guidance you could give me would be greatfully appreciated.

• Advertisement

Buy from someone who can look after you if anything goes wrong. There have been a few screen issues. So not Pixmania. I would suggest Argos as they will be back in stock soon, or Amazon (but not a third party, sold and fulfilled by Amazon) as their returns policy is second to none. And it will work here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

I’m looking to buy the Moto g 5 inch mobile but I’m not sure where the best place to buy it from is? I’ve looked at the following sites:

• expansys

• pixmania

• littlewoodsireland

Has anyone ever bought this phone or any other item from these sites? If so did you receive a good service i.e. did the product arrive on time in working order?

I’ve also looked at buying from Argos here in Ireland, but they are currently out of stock.
    I was also thinking of buying from Amazon UK but I was worried they wouldn’t deliver to Ireland and they phone would not work here?

Currently I have a basic Pay As you Go phone which is connected Meteor 3 network. I’d like to keep this payment as well as the network.

Tesco say this phone is exclusive to them in Ireland. Does that mean I can’t use it on another network? What does SIM free and Dual SIM mean?

Argos or Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• expansys

• pixmania

• littlewoodsireland

I've never bought from any of the sites you mentioned, so I wont even bother commenting on them, save to say I'm sure you'll find varying opinions on all of them , some good and some bad.

What you need to ensure is that the one you buy is the XT1068 model, this is the one most of the sites you mentioned are selling, just look out for it on ebay or Amazon, as there are some other models which are for different 3g bands not used here.

The phone is locked to tesco if you buy from them(although I think their stores did sell it with a meteor contract at one stage, maybe worth checking out?) However, if you buy a PAYG one from tesco, you can get it unlocked, I think the codes can be bought online, from adverts.ie, or on Ebay, if you feel confident enough. I'm not positive but I'd say they'll cost you €2-€5 approx.If you aren't happy doing it yourself and you're in Dublin, any of the cjhinese mobile shops around Moore St/Parnell st will do it for you.It'll probably take about an hour and it'll cost you €15.

Sim free means you can put a sim from any network in it and it'll work, dual sim means it can take two sims, from the same or different networks. You might use this for example if you were somebody who was a 3 customer but wants to make cheap calls to pakistan or whstick in a second sim from a cheap purveyor of foreign calls, like Lycamobile, while still having your free 3-3 calls and data on the same phone, when you go to call a contact, the phone asks you which sim you want to use, if its mick in mullingar its three, but if its Abdul in Almaty its the Lyca SIM.

If you want to use the Meteor Sim, you need your phone to be unlocked, however, if you want to keep your number, you can shop around for the best deal and port the number over to the new network providor, your contacts will still be able to contact you at the number they have in their phonebooks for you.

I'f I can answer anything else, feel free to post or drop me a PM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 FF7 7777

No, dunno what's going on with that. US got it in November and here we are January still stuck on KitKat still. There was a report maybe two weeks that the remainder of all moto g were getting it now but not many on XDA are claiming any OTAs. Maybe its the Lenova thing that made a balls of the fast updates. Wish I bought a Nexus 5.

You probably won't even notice it, same for all the other Versions, I've a Samsung still on Gingerbread (which still has 10% of all Android OS user ship) and sure theirs feck all difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 gem16

New to the thread here, but I'm in the exact same boat as digitalnative above. Want to stick to my reasonably priced Meteor plan but would like the Moto g5 phone. Impossible to get except for in tescos. I wouldn't mind ordering it from amazon but I haven't actually seen it up close yet to be sure! If anyone has seen it about anywhere in Cork, I'd love to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Buy from someone who can look after you if anything goes wrong. There have been a few screen issues. So not Pixmania. I would suggest Argos as they will be back in stock soon, or Amazon (but not a third party, sold and fulfilled by Amazon) as their returns policy is second to none. And it will work here.

Stalingrad, where did you hear Argos will have them back in stock soon? When I asked at my local store, they said they did not know if or when these would be back in stock.

Wondering if I should wait or go the Amazon route (someone mentioned using Amazon Spain to get best price and avoid the sterling mark up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 gem16

I was also going to enquire in Argos Cork tmr, but from checking the website, it seems that Argos stores all over the country are out of stock. And the discount (the phones is currently €164) is only up to January 16th. If I also get a vague reply tmr, I think it will be Amazon for me. With the Supersaver delivery on the UK Amazon site, it works out at about €184.
    I saw mention on a thread somewhere too that there may be a new version of the G2 on the way, sorry if that was on this thread, I just thought of it there. I wonder if there is a new version coming up with this one being so hard to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

guys im having a slight issue with my moto g

i restarted my phone the other day and for some reason the background of my app drawer has turned white which is very annoying (see pic attached)

I have gone into "display" settings to try to change it back to black but cant seem figure it out

Does anyone know how i can turn my background back to black

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

guys im having a slight issue with my moto g

i restarted my phone the other day and for some reason the background of my app drawer has turned white which is very annoying (see pic attached)

I have gone into "display" settings to try to change it back to black but cant seem figure it out

Does anyone know how i can turn my background back to black

Cheers

You got the lollipop update! Thats the new menu background! I'd say google now launcher has updated and its now using the lollipop menu style.

no mate im still on kitkat, i just checked

you were spot on mate, i ust uninstalled the updates and now its back to black :)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Anyone know a good place to get a screen for the 4g moto g?
    Daughter cracked the screen on the missus phone!

Another report AGAIN we are suppose to get the lollipop update soon!

http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-10742.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Not holding my breath, my Nexus 7 hasn't even got it yet ffs.... anyhoo nova launcher fixed any complaints i had about the Moto g 5" so not super concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Another report AGAIN we are suppose to get the lollipop update soon!

http://www.gsmarena.com/newscomm-10742.php

I recently got the Moto G 2nd Generation. Finding it great. My previous phone was the Samsung Galaxy S3. It was also great until Samsung infected it with a rushed upgrade about a year ago (I use the word infected because the impact was more like being infected with a virus than having the operating system updated). The phone was almost useless and even though thousands of their customers were impacted it took weeks for them to sort it out and when they eventually "fixed" it with a proper upgrade the phone still never worked as well as it had before the upgrade.

Therefore I'm quite happy to wait for an upgrade on the Moto G if it means they get it right and don't damage my phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not a moto g specific issue more a google one, just updated the google app on my moto g and now it has a white background on the app drawers and main apps screen. Why ????? it looks awful :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

calex71 wrote: »
    Not a moto g specific issue more a google one, just updated the google app on my moto g and now it has a white background on the app drawers and main apps screen. Why ????? it looks awful :mad:

Noticed that also. I saw on some android news sites (that I follow on flipboard great place to get news on updates etc) that the Google Now Launcher has been updated to give a lollipop look even on older devices not yet on lollipop. I also don't like it. But I'll keep it for a few days and see. If it still annoys me I'll go back to the Nova Launcher I had on my last phone and that worked great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Can anyone recommend a good mount for using in the car with the moto-G? My existing mount doesn't open wide enough. Don't mind whether it attaches to a vent / window or directly to the dash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good mount for using in the car with the moto-G? My existing mount doesn't open wide enough. Don't mind whether it attaches to a vent / window or directly to the dash.
    Just bought this, work's brilliantly. Made a post about it too in a Motors thread.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HMDYH2U/ref=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93548961#post93548961

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

advertsfox wrote: »

Looks good, I see amazon don't order to Ireland - where did you order from?

Also, I don't have my phone in a case, can you stick the metal patch directly onto the back of the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ElizKenny

I have a Moto G 2nd gen since around November. I bought it in Argos.
    Its still stuck on Kitkat and no sign of lollipop.
    Has anyone else still got kitkat with this phone?

Some friends are even on the next update of lollipop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement