Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is the update available for the XT1039 as of yet?

No. Lollipop for the 4G model hasn't been released anywhere yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

loyatemu wrote: »
    No. Lollipop for the 4G model hasn't been released anywhere yet.

how have they created a CM12 for it without it being out?

i'm sure its been released in Brazil for the last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

I notice now that my 1st Gen only vibrates once now when I have a call.

Looks like a bug if you have the Motorola flipcase which I have.

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/a7c5af16d1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

The new 4G 5" model is now on sale in the UK via Motorola's site

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-g-4g-connectivity-now-available-uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Would love to upgrade from the 1st 5", but 4g and a 15% battery upgrade is feck all. Why didnt they add in 1080p video or something aswell

• Advertisement

That's €225 at current exchange rates - not sure the Moto G is the best option anymore. OnePlus One is only €45 more, & I'm sure there are other better phones for around the 220 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

loyatemu wrote: »
    That's €225 at current exchange rates - not sure the Moto G is the best option anymore. OnePlus One is only €45 more, & I'm sure there are other better phones for around the 220 mark.

If you can get your hands on a OPO. I still find it hard to believe that they can't make enough to match demand.

They can make enough I'd imagine, its more the buzz it creates that's keeping them doing it. Great sales technique to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

J_E wrote: »
    Was a pain to unroot and remove recovery just to update but finally it's going now. I've heard good things about CM12, might be worth considering when it's more stable.

Does anyone have a nice guide to share on how to unroot and remove recovery please for the moto g 1st gen specifically please?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Oisin4

It's March. When are we getting Lollipop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Doge wrote: »
    Does anyone have a nice guide to share on how to unroot and remove recovery please for the moto g 1st gen specifically please?

Search XDA for it, might be in FAQ section. It's one of the most complicated processes four unlocking. I'm pretty sure Motorola has a how to on their site as well.

I might be worth just routing and installing xposed installer and gravity box on to customise, rather than messing with cm12 or other ROMs.

Edit. Moto here https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Very handy tool for doing rest http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2635706

you seem to have misread his post, he wants to unroot it.

This old guide seems to have worked for me:

http://theunlockr.com/2013/12/06/unroot-motorola-moto-g/

The firmware link is dead so I had to get it from here instead, its for the UK retail version:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54872143&postcount=362

I used the Mirrorlink as its hosted on Mega.co.nz and has lightning quick download speed for free users.

The process seems to have flashed Stock Recovery also which is good as CWM was getting in the way of the OTA update.

RossieMan wrote: »
    you seem to have misread his post, he wants to unroot it.

Yeah, I realised after lol but left it anyway... Been a long day and mixed post and quote..

The tool I posted will do most off what was asked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys, I am having trouble and need some help

I have a 2nd Gen moto G running stock lolipop and not rooted.

Last night the phone went a little haywire so I decided to reboot and now it wont come back on.

When I turn it on I get the motorola animation and then just a black screen.

I entered the recovery menu and none of the options work.

I searched online for "how to unbrick moto G" and there are 100 different tools/methods

Can someone tell me how I can get back up and running (I want to return to stock lolipop)

Im lost without my phone :(

Would really appreciate some help guys

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Guys, I am having trouble and need some help

I have a 2nd Gen moto G running stock lolipop and not rooted.

Last night the phone went a little haywire so I decided to reboot and now it wont come back on.

When I turn it on I get the motorola animation and then just a black screen.

I entered the recovery menu and none of the options work.

I searched online for "how to unbrick moto G" and there are 100 different tools/methods

Can someone tell me how I can get back up and running (I want to return to stock lolipop)

Im lost without my phone :(

Would really appreciate some help guys

Cheers

Almost exact same thing has happened me last night. Phone was working fine all day. Then swipe to unlock would not work. Screen is totally unresponsive. All of the menus in Fastboot just give a restart, which brings me back to a locked screen I can't unlock.

I used Google device manager to wipe the phone and that did nothing. Left the phone plugged in all night and this morning the screen was working again. Managed to set it up and it was downloading all my apps and content from Google but I made the mistake of turning on the lock screen and am back to the same problem again. Did Motorola push something out that might have done this?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I dont even have a locked screen, just a black screen

Could anyone on 48 post up their APN settings for the Moto G?

I have no data connection since doing the factory reset.

I tried using the automated service tweakker loads of times but it isn't sending the SMS.

I also tried the generic settings on their message board.

I have data roaming enabled also, but still getting no data connection.

Also tried taking out the SIM card.

The plot thickens. Even after entering the APN settings sent by 48 staff via email I still can't connect to 3G or 2G or any form of data network.

Yet if I put an old three sim card in it gets 3G connectivity with the H symbol at the top of the screen.

My problem seems to be on 48's network itself, possibly specific to my account / phone number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

The plot thickens. Even after entering the APN settings sent by 48 staff via email I still can't connect to 3G or 2G or any form of data network.

Yet if I put an old three sim card in it gets 3G connectivity with the H symbol at the top of the screen.

My problem seems to be on 48's network itself, possibly specific to my account / phone number.

I had to set this up on my girlfriends Moto G it had my head wrecked, its because its an MVNO service, if i remember right you need to enable data roaming for data to kick in.

• Advertisement

projectgtr wrote: »
    I had to set this up on my girlfriends Moto G it had my head wrecked, its because its an MVNO service, if i remember right you need to enable data roaming for data to kick in.

Yeah i have data roaming enabled but still not a peep out of it! Ill see what 48 say.

Yeah i have data roaming enabled but still not a peep out of it! Ill see what 48 say.

do you have " default,supl " put in APN Type?? thats the other change we made following a post from a boardsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Just asked to update to Lollipop might give it a while to see if there are any issues

projectgtr wrote: »
    do you have " default,supl " put in APN Type?? thats the other change we made following a post from a boardsie

Was just asked to do that by a staff member and it worked! It seems the default type is crucial for the moto G.

Was just asked to do that by a staff member and it worked! It seems the default type is crucial for the moto G.

Great news , enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Lollipop feels fine so far, battery life roughly the same - not without a few bugs though. Hopefully fixed in the incremental update (which I really hope Motorola deliver on, otherwise I'll just wait for stable CM12)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Unfortunately the new UK model 2nd Gen 4G (XT1072) is only single SIM...

SIM Card
    3G: Dual micro-SIM
    4G: micro-SIM - Single SIM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Flappy Burd

Not liking 5.0 at all.

Noticing a performance lag and Facebook auto upload won't work for some reason and messages aren't saved when sent with swiftsms.

Is it possible to revert?

Not liking 5.0 at all.

Noticing a performance lag and Facebook auto upload won't work for some reason and messages aren't saved when sent with swiftsms.

Is it possible to revert?

have you done a factory reset?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Flappy Burd

Nolars wrote: »
    have you done a factory reset?

Nah don't really wanna go down that route.

I'm sure it'll improve with the next update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nah don't really wanna go down that route.

I'm sure it'll improve with the next update.

Dude a factory rest takes about 20 min and solves a ton of problems. No reason not to do it.

Remove Facebook and add it as a home screen favourite in Firefox. Did this for both Facebook and rte because of lag and battery drainage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

1st gen moto g. Updated to lollipop 5.02 yesterday. No need to factory reset and tbh I haven't noticed any major bugs.

Only one I have come across is for some reason the google calendar widget has stopped working.

Haven't noticed any lagging of apps yet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

@Owyran - same here, 1st gen moto g updated to lollipop three days ago. No major issues, couple of minor ones, the notification light shows up for some notifications but not for messages or missed calls. Not a major thing. Not sure yet if it is any improvement, but certainly is no worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

1st gen moto g here, updated a good few days ago and no problems but phone is unusable after having had it turned off or on airport mode for most of the day, hangs and touch screen becomes unresponsive requiring reboot. Rinse. Repeat

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    1st gen moto g here, updated a good few days ago and no problems but phone is unusable after having had it turned off or on airport mode for most of the day, hangs and touch screen becomes unresponsive requiring reboot. Rinse. Repeat

If you have facebook can you try uninstalling it to see if it fixes problem? Not 100% sure its the cause. But, I removed it from 2 of my devices and it seemed to work.

Have done all the resets etc before, was ok for a while, trying to isolate the problem now.

Motorola Update Services app now available for the 2013 4G version, presumably Lollipop is on it's way
    (I got this from the Play Store, wasn't specifically prompted possibly because my phone is rooted).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Wife has a Moto G since Xmas last year. Updated to Lollipop 5.0.2 there the other day
    • Conectivity is shot to shít on mobile data, WiFi is ok
    • Gallery is displaying black squares, no photos
    • Performance lag on a few apps

A factory reset will delete the photos, won't it? There's a couple of weeks worth of unbacked up baby photos on it that we don't want to lose (we do regular back ups anyway, so not a total disaster, but still, would be better not to lose at all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A factory reset will delete the photos, won't it? There's a couple of weeks worth of unbacked up baby photos on it that we don't want to lose (we do regular back ups anyway, so not a total disaster, but still, would be better not to lose at all).

Transfer to a PC and then factory reset? What I did

Or sync with Google Drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

T-Bird wrote: »
    Or sync with Google Drive.
    I agree, can't believe the number of people that don't sync their phone to google servers and risk losing everything if phone is stolen!

On the flip side, as some people have low data packages, they should change settings to only upload photos on WiFi rather than "mobile data and WiFi".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

yeah, the photos are cloud stored, and also on a HDD up to about 2 weeks ago.

Turns out it was something else causing the "black" photos, the baby was taking selfies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

yeah, the photos are cloud stored, and also on a HDD up to about 2 weeks ago.

Turns out it was something else causing the "black" photos, the baby was taking selfies :D

You have made my day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Did a reset and installed Lollipop on an original Moto G. Not sure about some of the interface changes, but battery life is better, whether this is because of the OS or the fact that some apps do not now autostart is hard to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is this worth buying folks? The new 5" 4G model? I've a budget of about 250 euro, though as in everything, the less I have to spend the better.

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Is this worth buying folks? The new 5" 4G model? I've a budget of about 250 euro, though as in everything, the less I have to spend the better.

For that you shd get the one plus one tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Does this phone have a diary or Dictaphone function? I need something that I can store memo's in and download them to my PC later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

newmug wrote: »
    Does this phone have a diary or Dictaphone function? I need something that I can store memo's in and download them to my PC later.

If it doesn't you'll be able to get a hundred apps that do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Updated lollipop on the gf's phone (1st gen) and she hasn't stopped complaining. The performance is gone to ****e. Screen hangs, goes black. Screen turns off and the lock screen doesn't appear. Basically unusable and she had to leave it there until it sorts itself out. :(

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Updated lollipop on the gf's phone (1st gen) and she hasn't stopped complaining. The performance is gone to ****e. Screen hangs, goes black. Screen turns off and the lock screen doesn't appear. Basically unusable and she had to leave it there until it sorts itself out. :(

haha same thing happened to me. I had to factory reset it for her and she was happy again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement