Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble getting into recovery mode? After selecting Recovery from the bootloader I just get the dead android guy with a No Command message.

http://allaboutmotog.com/how-to-clear-cache-partition-on-moto-g-and-moto-x-after-android-lollipop-update/

That works. It's different since lollipop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, that's what worked for me in the end, hold power, tap volume up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

1st Gen 4G will be updated to 5.1 (not getting 5.0.x)

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/cV4vDyyMmw2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Invincible wrote: »
    Anyone notice WiFi signal drops momentarily since lollipop update?

Nope. I'd recommend doing a factory reset(or two) and wiping the system cache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

Is there much difference between the Sim Free Motorola Moto E 2nd Gen.4G and the
    Sim Free Motorola Moto G 4G.

The Moto E is priced at 124.99 and the Moto G is priced at189.95 in argos so im wondering if the Moto G is worth the extra €65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

https://recombu.com/mobile/article/moto-e-2015-vs-moto-g-4g-2015-what-s-the-difference

Screen and camera are a fair bit better on the G. Depends how much that matters, for your purposes?
    My OH's Moto E whizzes along just as smoothly as my Moto G, as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

The Moto E 2nd Gen has a slightly faster CPU than the G according to Antutu and Geekbench benchmarks, but the reviews I've read suggest it's actually a little bit laggier than the G. It also has no flash on the camera and an inferior front facing camera compared to the G but it's still pretty good value when you look at the junk the networks are selling in their prepay phone range for the same price or more.

I have a moto g 4G and I absolutely love it I must say, it''s not the best at anything, that goes without saying, but the combination of near-stock Android, acceptable performance and the Motorola apps on it it's a great all rounder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The latest version of the Moto G (4G, 5 inch) is €200 in Argos now. Cheaper than Amazon (£150).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭rigmaroll

I bought the Motorola E 2nd Gen yesterday in Argos for €124.99. Its a fantastic phone and is worth considering instead of the Moto G as its around €60 cheaper. The cameras have gotten bad reviews but i find them fine but I havent taken any pics yet in low light.

Check out the reviews on pcadvisor.co.uk which say the same thing. I cant post the links as Im a new user.

How are you finding battery life after the Lollipop update?

I found it a bit iffy once the phone got to about 20-25% as it could drain very quickly from there and turn off.

After reading a couple of posts about tips for Lollipop I decided to remove the Battery Doctor app and now after a full charge yesterday evening my phone is still at 83% more than 12 hours later.

According to the battery graph in settings my battery will last until about 21.00 on Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

Picking one of these bad boys up over the next few days. To save me going through 200+ pages, is there anything I should/shouldn't look out for?

Been with Apple for the last 4 or 5 years, so gonna be a big departure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Soarer wrote: »
    Picking one of these bad boys up over the next few days. To save me going through 200+ pages, is there anything I should/shouldn't look out for?

Been with Apple for the last 4 or 5 years, so gonna be a big departure.

Which one are you getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I would consider Android more 'hands on', you my hate certain aspects of Android at first, but stick with it and it will begin to make sense. I am an Apple fan but their phones are not worth the premium, I know millions would disagree with me though.

Nim wrote: »
    Which one are you getting?

An 8gb XT-1068.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone getting issues with searching since the latest Google app update? All my results are now for Australia or NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

An 8gb XT-1068.

My 2 cents, if you are gonna upgrade to lollipop you would be better off doing so before you set up the phone fully, to save any hassles in case it is laggy and you need to do a factory reset.

Also, i've found that nova launcher is more responsive (quicker) than the google now launcher.

They're great phones, just wish they had more ram as they can lack oomph sometimes.

My Moto G just arrived.

Gonna do the update and migrate my iphone stuff across. Is there anything I should have/need/get? Is it worth rooting? Insert other Android novice question here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

My Moto G just arrived.

Gonna do the update and migrate my iphone stuff across. Is there anything I should have/need/get? Is it worth rooting? Insert other Android novice question here.

An sd card: 8 gb of storage fills up quickly.

An sd card: 8 gb of storage fills up quickly.

Yup.
    Got me a 32gb one of them. Need to set things up to use that instead of the internal memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

Recently got the 2nd Gen 4g and am fairly happy with it the first few days until i updated to 5.0.2 which had a fairly big impact on the speed of the phone, anyone had similar experience?

ugglasdav wrote: »
    Recently got the 2nd Gen 4g and am fairly happy with it the first few days until i updated to 5.0.2 which had a fairly big impact on the speed of the phone, anyone had similar experience?

Format, clear the cache and format again.

That's the Nuclear option but it'll solve every problem.

Format, clear the cache and format again.

That's the Nuclear option but it'll solve every problem.

Oooo, that sounds interesting.....but scary! Is there a walkthrough of that? Will it remove/restore everything I have?

Also would that cure my two biggest gripes.
    1. The battery is shocking.
    2. Audio doesn't transfer over to my bluetooth car radio. Phonecalls do, but music/podcasts don't. It connects without issue. Really don't think it's the radio, and never had an issue with my iPhone 4.

Oooo, that sounds interesting.....but scary! Is there a walkthrough of that? Will it remove/restore everything I have?

Also would that cure my two biggest gripes.
    1. The battery is shocking.
    2. Audio doesn't transfer over to my bluetooth car radio. Phonecalls do, but music/podcasts don't. It connects without issue. Really don't think it's the radio, and never had an issue with my iPhone 4.
    Ahh, it sounds hard but it's really easy.

Everything is wiped with a Format. You've updated to lollipop yea? Go into settings-->Scroll to the Bottom-->About Phone-->Android version should be 5.0.2 here? Thats Lollipop.

Your Apps, calendar and Contacts will restore themselves once you have them synced-->Go into settings-->Accounts-->Google-->Click on your email and tick the boxes to do this.

Assuming you haven't set up something to back up pictures, just connect the phone to your computer and drag and drop them onto the Desktop. Very easy this. Or make a Dropbox/Google Drive/ect Account and save them online instead. Drag and drop anything you want to keep now.

If you want to save Txts for some reason their was Apps mentioned a few pages back that'll do it.

Thats it really.

1)Battery was one of the main things focused on with lollipop, big improvement there. I've got 3/4 days sometimes but it'll depend, if you're checking Facebook 15 times an hour then....no.

2)I don't know about the Bluetooth bit, a google doesn't show it as a problem. No real results. See how you get on and come back here.

To Format, Go to Settings-->Backup & Reset-->Tick Back up my data and Automatic Restore-->Give it a few mins-->Hit Factory Data Reset.

To Clear Cache follow these instructions.

Format again, probably no need, some people felt they noticed improvements on a second format and for the sake of 5 mins sure do it.

Sounds like alot but very easy, doesn't take long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I have the 2nd gen 4g and battery is ok for me, not the 3/4 days but I comfortably get a day of pretty heavy use and have 10 - 15 %, left, mine was on 5.0.2 when I got it (in UK). Don't have faceache on my phone though (the app seemed to upset my phone so I deleted it)

Bluetooth works fine with everything I've used it on so far too, (soundbar and Skoda in-car) better than my galaxy S4 was actually. I had the same issue with my S4 as Soarer is having, I just had to keep switching bluetooth on and off for it to eventually work.

Very pleased with my Moto G so far, missus has 1st Gen which is also pretty good, but prefer my bigger screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭frankoreagan

Ahh, it sounds hard but it's really easy.

Everything is wiped with a Format. You've updated to lollipop yea? Go into settings-->Scroll to the Bottom-->About Phone-->Android version should be 5.0.2 here? Thats Lollipop.

Your Apps, calendar and Contacts will restore themselves once you have them synced-->Go into settings-->Accounts-->Google-->Click on your email and tick the boxes to do this.

Assuming you haven't set up something to back up pictures, just connect the phone to your computer and drag and drop them onto the Desktop. Very easy this. Or make a Dropbox/Google Drive/ect Account and save them online instead. Drag and drop anything you want to keep now.

If you want to save Txts for some reason their was Apps mentioned a few pages back that'll do it.

Thats it really.

1)Battery was one of the main things focused on with lollipop, big improvement there. I've got 3/4 days sometimes but it'll depend, if you're checking Facebook 15 times an hour then....no.

2)I don't know about the Bluetooth bit, a google doesn't show it as a problem. No real results. See how you get on and come back here.

To Format, Go to Settings-->Backup & Reset-->Tick Back up my data and Automatic Restore-->Give it a few mins-->Hit Factory Data Reset.

To Clear Cache follow these instructions.

Format again, probably no need, some people felt they noticed improvements on a second format and for the sake of 5 mins sure do it.

Sounds like alot but very easy, doesn't take long.

Cheers for that, cleared the cache there and the difference in speed browsing the internet and using apps is phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Thanks for those instructions _Tombstone_. My Moto G has been given a new lease of life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭inigo

This morning my Motog G (2nd gen, 5", dual sim) decided to stop working. It turned itself off and that was it. When I plug it in it tries to power up: it shows the white screen with motorola's M in the green background, it vibrates very shortly and it powers off. It will keep doing that for a while. I am able to start it with boot options but it doesn't matter which one I choose that it will show the M and then power off.

I've tried everything I've found on the web but nothing works.

Has anyone come across this issue? Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Lollipop never coming for 4G 1st gen..

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

inigo wrote: »
    This morning my Motog G (2nd gen, 5", dual sim) decided to stop working. It turned itself off and that was it. When I plug it in it tries to power up: it shows the white screen with motorola's M in the green background, it vibrates very shortly and it powers off. It will keep doing that for a while. I am able to start it with boot options but it doesn't matter which one I choose that it will show the M and then power off.

Leave it charging for 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Best return, replace or repair. personally I'd look for replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone find the multitasking performamce piss poor since the Lollipop update?

Apps like Facebook and others lock up with a few apps running, which didn't happen on KitKat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

unfortunately the process com.process.gapps has stopped

anybody else getting this really annoying message! Can't do anything on the phone....have tried disabling download manager but no use, wrecking my head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Are you on cyanogenmod by any chance? Gapps is all the google suite, its most probably google play services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

RossieMan wrote: »
    Are you on cyanogenmod by any chance? Gapps is all the google suite, its most probably google play services.
    No I'm just on the stock rom for the UK retail version 5.02 thought i had it sorted but i was wrong! if i can't get anywhere i think i'll have to factory reset tomorrow! was hoping it wasn't just me it happened to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

I dropped my beloved moto g 2nd 5' 😢. Screen is a write off, they don't have the phone in stock in argos and they don't think theyll be getting it back in, they do have the 5' 2nd gen 4g version, can anyone one tell me the difference between this & the 3g vetsion?n ( besides the 4g bit obviously ☺)
    Thanks
    d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not much has changed. Slightly larger battery capacity according to Phone Arena (though it has 8GB internal storage, not 16GB like Phone Arena say).

It only has a single SIM too, not dual SIM like the 2014 model.

Leave it charging for 24 hours.

Unfortunately, that didn't work.
    T-Bird wrote: »
    Best return, replace or repair. personally I'd look for replacement.

I got it from Argos. All 5" models seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Has anyone had one of these repaired? I'd be concerned with the security of the data that may be stored on the phone.

Should I ask for a refund and look elsewhere for a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bells12

Hi,

I have the Moto G 4G version but the micro SD card I got is now not working. Can anyone recommend the best and most reliable 32GB card to use with this phone?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

On my phone so can't post a link, but I recently picked up a couple of SanDisk class 10 32GB cards in Argos that were marked down to €19.99.

Unfortunately, that didn't work.

I got it from Argos. All 5" models seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Has anyone had one of these repaired? I'd be concerned with the security of the data that may be stored on the phone.

Should I ask for a refund and look elsewhere for a new one?

It's a new phone and not working. I'd go to shop where you got it and see what they say. They might take it and send it away. Check shops policy on their website.

Regarding security, they normally ask for it to be factory reset before sending. But you can't do that.

Other option is Motorola Ireland website.

My one was sent away twice last year, they (tesco direct) replaced it the second time.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I will take it to Argos and see what they say.
    T-Bird wrote: »
    My one was sent away twice last year, they (tesco direct) replaced it the second time.

Is the phone being sold by Tesco Mobile dual sim and is it locked to their network?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bigdaddy2010

Doge wrote: »
    Anyone find the multitasking performamce piss poor since the Lollipop update?

Apps like Facebook and others lock up with a few apps running, which didn't happen on KitKat.

My phone is freezing alot since updating to lollipop. Tried clean master app. Made no difference. Any solutions?

Thanks for that. I will take it to Argos and see what they say.

Is the phone being sold by Tesco Mobile dual sim and is it locked to their network?

It was the original one at that stage, single SIM and locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

My phone is freezing alot since updating to lollipop. Tried clean master app. Made no difference. Any solutions?

Factory reset and clear the cache if you havent already, seems to be the big thing when upgrading to Lollipop across most devices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

My wife and I both have the 2nd Gen. Both bought at the same time. I updated to Lollipop and she hasn't. Despite factory resetting and clearing the cache - mine is still laggy. Hers is fine, just like when she got it.

Moral of the story - Lollipop is a festering piece of garbage that turned a very nice phone into a buggy annoyance.

Mine has not been the same since Lollipop either, despite cache clearing. Not buggy, just laggy.

I'm surprised at the mess Google have made of the Lollipop release.

Thing is we all new this would happen, yet people were clamoring for the update. I'm not one bit surprised. Gone are the days when updates actually improved anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sunup123

Thinking about getting one of these phones, getting fed up of my iphone 4.

Seems the chepest for the 2nd gen is 179 on amazon.de, anyone know anywhere cheaper.

• Advertisement

Just found out about the Trusted Places feature in Lollipop.

Go to Settings - Security then Smart Lock and you can specify locations where your phone stays unlocked. It can also remain unlocked when connected to a particular Bluetooth device and can also sense when you are carrying the phone in your hand or pocket.

It looks pretty good to me so far.

Advertisement