Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

So there is a moto. G here in the house, that has a battery that won't charge. It's about 16 months old so no warranty. Apparently this is an issue with the phone as if goes very dead the battery doesn't charge. There are a couple of fixes online but they didn't work for me. Just wondering if any of you had come across the issue, or had any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

nc6000 wrote: »

Is there actually anywhere to buy the damn thing? The 16gb version specifically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

I don't think it's on sale until next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

So there is a moto. G here in the house, that has a battery that won't charge. It's about 16 months old so no warranty. Apparently this is an issue with the phone as if goes very dead the battery doesn't charge. There are a couple of fixes online but they didn't work for me. Just wondering if any of you had come across the issue, or had any ideas

Important to remember warranty is merely an additional bonus offered by the manufacturer. It doesn't supersede your statutory rights, which tend to provide you greater protection & scope to seek remedy for any problems encountered. Assuming it hasn't been mistreated, it's not an unreasonable expectation that a phone should function as intended for longer than 16 months.

If you can't fix it go back to the retailer & ask them to organise a repair or replacement of the handset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Is there actually anywhere to buy the damn thing? The 16gb version specifically.

I just know Argos and everybody else will only offer 8GB version, I just know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Comerman

Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me please, I've a 1st Gen Moto G but now when making or in the middle of a perfectly fine call the other persons voice would become what I can only describe as "scrobbled" it's like a type of scramble or the voice is now a bubbly sound. When I hang up and re-call everything worked fine again, any ideas please??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Hard to get excited about the new Moto G after the horlicks Lollipop made of my 2nd Gen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Available from Meteor online for €179 - Amazon.co.uk / de / eBay or Motomaker all put it at €230-250 so this is a bargain. Not sure of SL (Sim Lock) status like before so if you do get one, order it online and put in your SIM immediately (not the Meteor provided SIM) and you should be good!

Asked Meteor earlier, they say stock is back this afternoon - https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/motorola-moto-3G

PS: TechRadar review is excellent of the phone, esp. about camera - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/moto-g-2015-1300373/review
    Hard to get excited about the new Moto G after the horlicks Lollipop made of my 2nd Gen.
    This has been sorted with the new version, as quoted:
    A big point in Motorola's favour is the common lag affecting many Android Lollipop phones that would have performed perfectly well with Android 4.4. Until this year, unless your phone had a poorly optimised UI, 1GB RAM and a Snapdragon 400 were enough to guarantee very solid performance.

No longer, though, with many 1GB RAM budget phones suffering from mild-to-severe performance issues. I'm looking at you, LG G4c, EE Harrier Mini, Moto G 2014, and so on.

Given some of the issues in this company, the performance of both models is pretty great. I'd naturally pick the 16GB/2GB model if I had the choice, but would be happy to live with either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Meteor only seem to stocking the 1gb version though !! It looks like it'll be hard to get a hold of the 2gb version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

ianob7 wrote: »
    Meteor only seem to stocking the 1gb version though !! It looks like it'll be hard to get a hold of the 2gb version
    I've noticed that too, I'm personally ok with 8GB / 1GB since I use CM12 and most content stored on the cloud but the 2GB would be nice. 32GB Class 10 will do for now.

Back in stock with Meteor:

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/motorola-moto-3G

9AbbjQv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

Anyone know if the Meteor bought Moto G will work on any network? (the first sim put in, as with the previous generation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 metron

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Meteor bought Moto G will work on any network? (the first sim put in, as with the previous generation.)

Yes, I got one on Friday and it's working fine with a 48 months sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

metron wrote: »
    Yes, I got one on Friday and it's working fine with a 48 months sim card.

I assume it is not the dual sim version ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 metron

I assume it is not the dual sim version ?

It has only one sim slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Having good success tethering with this recently.

Wondering if anyone knows off hand which networks are the best for this in terms of allowing and data allowances (4g min I guess).

advertsfox wrote: »
    I've noticed that too, I'm personally ok with 8GB / 1GB since I use CM12 and most content stored on the cloud but the 2GB would be nice. 32GB Class 10 will do for now.

Back in stock with Meteor:

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/motorola-moto-3G

9AbbjQv.png

It's disappointing (and expected) that they don't stock a 2GB version. I'd get a 2GB version in a heartbeat if it cost €200.

1GB is just not worth it if you already have a Moto G. 2GB RAM is the selling point and 16GB storage is great too, because 8GB is not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Three now have the Moto G - €179

http://www.three.ie/online/shop/productDetail.aspx?src=p&p=voice&pid=2580&tariffType=prepay

Is it the same thing with Meteor - locks on first sim?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Word of warning for anyone ordering with Meteor online

Ordered Monday, still haven't received phone and absolutely no update after two full days of enquiries. They do not even entertain PAYG queries, appalling service

I'm not sure if it's against the rules to talk about other phones on this thread.

But have you guys heard of Vodafone Smart Ultra 6?

It's got incredible specs for the price! Costs less than 1GB version of Moto G (3).

Snapdragon 615
    2GB RAM
    16GB Storage
    1080p screen
    13MP camera
    NFC
    3000 mah battery
    microSD card slot
    And its Android is as vanilla as Moto G's if not more.

The only "problem" with it right now is that it is running 5.0.2, not 5.1. When it gets 5.1 I think I'll get it. It costs almost half the price of 2GB RAM version of Moto G and has better specifications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

CyberGhost wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's against the rules to talk about other phones on this thread.

But have you guys heard of Vodafone Smart Ultra 6?

It's got incredible specs for the price! Costs less than 1GB version of Moto G (3).

Snapdragon 615
    2GB RAM
    16GB Storage
    1080p screen
    13MP camera
    NFC
    3000 mah battery
    microSD card slot
    And its Android is as vanilla as Moto G's if not more.

The only "problem" with it right now is that it is running 5.0.2, not 5.1. When it gets 5.1 I think I'll get it. It costs almost half the price of 2GB RAM version of Moto G and has better specifications.

Yeah seems alot better value. Know a few who have them and they're great phones. My next purchase probably will be it. Only downside is that it doesn't have front facing speakers which I like on the moto g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

physioman wrote: »
    Yeah seems alot better value. Know a few who have them and they're great phones. My next purchase probably will be it. Only downside is that it doesn't have front facing speakers which I like on the moto g.

Third gen moto g doesn't have front stereo speakers. Shame as its what I liked about my old second gen.

physioman wrote: »

I tried it today at a Vodafone store.

It was... laggy. I don't know if it was just the store unit. But I definitely noticed lag.

And another thing is; everything is scaled up, you don't get more information on the screen, everything if just bigger (huge). I wish Android had better scaling, I don't want giant buttons.

Moto G 3 is no still no better though, as StereoSound mentioned, it does not have stereo sound, no gyroscope (neither does Vodafone), but more worrisome is that people are reporting that the screen is not good and has problems with touch detection.

This reviewer mentions the problem.

https://youtu.be/t53HQeXKKN4?t=3m40s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I tried it today at a Vodafone store.

It was... laggy. I don't know if it was just the store unit. But I definitely noticed lag.

And another thing is; everything is scaled up, you don't get more information on the screen, everything if just bigger (huge). I wish Android had better scaling, I don't want giant buttons.

Moto G 3 is no still no better though, as StereoSound mentioned, it does not have stereo sound, no gyroscope (neither does Vodafone), but more worrisome is that people are reporting that the screen is not good and has problems with touch detection.

This reviewer mentions the problem.

https://youtu.be/t53HQeXKKN4?t=3m40s

You'll never buy a phone if you read reviews, they'll always bitch about something.

Theirs two threads going on that phone, both very positive, theirs your real world review.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robcronin

Hey guys, I bought the new Moto G 3 phone for my mom on the Three network but I forgot that she had moved to Tesco mobile. Does anyone know a reputable online unlocker who can unlock it? Cheers for any help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

But have you guys heard of Vodafone Smart Ultra 6?...
    The only "problem" with it right now is....

Also the problem getting it unlocked.

beauf wrote: »
    Also the problem getting it unlocked.

Not a problem,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/291500548350

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

My 2nd Gen Moto G suddenly crashed and switched off during a phonecall tonight. Haven't been able switch it back on since. Has anybody else encountered this problem and had success in fixing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭jvc

Comerman wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me please, I've a 1st Gen Moto G but now when making or in the middle of a perfectly fine call the other persons voice would become what I can only describe as "scrobbled" it's like a type of scramble or the voice is now a bubbly sound. When I hang up and re-call everything worked fine again, any ideas please??
    Having a similar issue myself with a 1st Gen. Seems very random when it happens. Im still running 4.4. I was thinking about updating to 5 to see if that would solve it but havent chanced it yet after heaaring some bad things about battery life.

What version are you running?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

jvc wrote: »
    Having a similar issue myself with a 1st Gen. Seems very random when it happens. Im still running 4.4. I was thinking about updating to 5 to see if that would solve it but havent chanced it yet after heaaring some bad things about battery life.

What version are you running?

Sorry to break this to you lads, my wife has a 1st gen and hers does exactly the same. It was doing it on Andorid Kitkat and also after the upgrade to Lollipop (5.0+) so I don't believe software upgrade will fix.

She likes the phone so I'm going to get her a 3rd gen 16GB if they ever become available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

My Moto G 4G (XT1039) also did that on stock KitKat, but I'm on CM12.1 with a few months now and haven't had that problem since.

I updated to stock L first of course to get the latest bootloader and radio firmware, then went to CM12.1

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭FrasierCrane

I'm having a problem with my moto g 2nd gen 3g version. It keeps saying that the SD card has been removed unexpectedly. I initially took it out and put it back and this solved it but it comes back again after a while. I think it might be a software issue because if I do a reboot after getting the error message it reads from the SD card fine for a while before the error returns.

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

My 2nd Gen Moto G suddenly crashed and switched off during a phonecall tonight. Haven't been able switch it back on since. Has anybody else encountered this problem and had success in fixing it?

I had a similar problem to you. Rather than bore you with the details of how I got on here, I can bore you with the details of how I got on over at Motorola's forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

deiseach wrote: »
    I had a similar problem to you. Rather than bore you with the details of how I got on here, I can bore you with the details of how I got on over at Motorola's forum.

Thanks for the reply. Have tried everything I could to fix it but kept running into the same issue as yourself. Will contact Motorola tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

Does anyone have a Moto G 4G 16GB phone?

I want to get one of these as I had a 1st gen Moto G and it was a great phone.
    The stock Android was great, I made the mistake of switching to a Samsung
    phone because it had 4G. It's so slow, the TouchWiz interface is really bad.
    I miss the ease and speed of stock Android and the build quality of the Moto G.

Amazon uk have this model sim free available from 22nd October:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B014KT0KWE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441909130&sr=8-3&keywords=moto+g+16gb

Has anyone seen this available anywhere else at the moment?

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a Moto G 4G 16GB phone?

I want to get one of these as I had a 1st gen Moto G and it was a great phone.
    The stock Android was great, I made the mistake of switching to a Samsung
    phone because it had 4G. It's so slow, the TouchWiz interface is really bad.
    I miss the ease and speed of stock Android and the build quality of the Moto G.

Amazon uk have this model sim free available from 22nd October:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Moto-Generation-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B014KT0KWE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1441909130&sr=8-3&keywords=moto+g+16gb

Has anyone seen this available anywhere else at the moment?

No, nowhere.

You could order it from Motorola UK, to ParcelMotel and have it delivered to Ireland. People who have ordered it said it's supposed to ship on around September 16th.

No, nowhere.

You could order it from Motorola UK, to ParcelMotel and have it delivered to Ireland. People who have ordered it said it's supposed to ship on around September 16th.

I might try that in a few weeks, thanks for the tip :)

I see Argos have the 8GB model for sale for €199.99 and it
    says on the web page that the price is correct until 15/09/2015.
    Maybe Argos will have the 16GB model after this date or later in the year.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4478360/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTO+G.htm

I might try that in a few weeks, thanks for the tip :)

I see Argos have the 8GB model for sale for €199.99 and it
    says on the web page that the price is correct until 15/09/2015.
    Maybe Argos will have the 16GB model after this date or later in the year.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4478360/Trail/searchtext%3EMOTO+G.htm

Maybe. Either way, €200 is too expensive for an 8GB model. A 16GB should cost that; 8GB should cost €170.

Maybe. Either way, €200 is too expensive for an 8GB model. A 16GB should cost that; 8GB should cost €170.

I don't mind paying a bit extra to buy things in actual shops, so you can go
    back if there is any problems with the items. I've found the returns service
    at Argos to be good in the past.

Maybe the price will come down in the coming months, we'll wait and see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

No, nowhere.

Funny you should say this - I ordered two 16GB models yesterday from the Motorola UK website with Parcel Motel as my address. They put my order on hold and when I rang up to enquire they said they don't ship to freighting companies or PO Boxes. Had to cancel the order.

Is there any other way to get the 16GB model in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭franciec

Cerdito wrote: »
    Funny you should say this - I ordered two 16GB models yesterday from the Motorola UK website with Parcel Motel as my address. They put my order on hold and when I rang up to enquire they said they don't ship to freighting companies or PO Boxes. Had to cancel the order.

Amazon.fr are shipping the 16GB now. They ship to Ireland and the price in Euros is a lot less than the conversion from £.

Cerdito wrote: »

That's too bad, thanks for letting us know.

Some good news for you though, it's in stock at amazon.fr

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B012MRT14E/ref=pe_386181_40444391_TE_item

If you order, please let us know what the final cost is.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

I just ordered the 16GB 3rd Gen from Amazon.it (http://www.amazon.it/dp/B013P2K9NC/ref=twister_B014FT6H9Y?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1) for €233.05 incl. delivery.

That works out around GBP171 at current rates which seems pretty good compared to GBP189 on the Motorola UK website (albeit that you can pick your colours etc. there) and GBP179.99 for pre-order on Amazon.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I got the play on Monday, great little phone..
    But I need a bit of help,my eyesight is not the best. So I have gone into settings and set font's to large and did the same in Firefox and Chrome,on most sites it great. But on board's
    The front is tiny,anyone else having this problem?

Any body able to tell me how to make in bigger?
    Thanks

deco nate wrote: »
    But I need a bit of help,my eyesight is not the best. So I have gone into settings and set font's to large and did the same in Firefox and Chrome,on most sites it great. But on board's

Thanks

So no help then?

deco nate wrote: »

Thanks

So no help then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

works fine on the Moto X (2013)
    i just changed the font in Settings/Assessibility/System
    and the font within the app increased in size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I'm sick of my 2nd gen Moto G, Lollipop has ruined it, 2 second lag for camera, have done a reset and tried all sorts of things to speed it up. What other €200 phone is worth considering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

I'm sick of my 2nd gen Moto G, Lollipop has ruined it, 2 second lag for camera, have done a reset and tried all sorts of things to speed it up. What other €200 phone is worth considering?

i am the same, its a really bad phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Smart Ultra 6 for €169 or maybe the Prime 6?

• Advertisement
Advertisement