Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Techmaster wrote: »
    Smart Ultra 6 for €169 or maybe the Prime 6?

Like the specs and emory of the Ultra, but fear it is too big, 5" is just manageable. Prime 6 looks very like the Moto on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Like the specs and emory of the Ultra, but fear it is too big, 5" is just manageable. Prime 6 looks very like the Moto on paper.

Ehhh. I don't know man. I had to return two Ultras because they were faulty.

The multitasking on it though is a killer! The homescreen never redrawed and it kept websites and applications in the RAM like a champ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

My phone coverage is really bad all the time. Calls keep dropping, 3G isn't good most of the time. I know Vodafone is to blame for most of it as their network is rubbish, but by any chance is the phone partially to blame?

Is anyone else having signal issues with their 2nd gen Moto G?

I'm getting fed up of the phone. It's recently started to freeze and lag a bit.

Is the new Moto G 3rd gen any better or should I avoid it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Nono Toure wrote: »
    My phone coverage is really bad all the time. Calls keep dropping, 3G isn't good most of the time. I know Vodafone is to blame for most of it as their network is rubbish, but by any chance is the phone partially to blame?

Is anyone else having signal issues with their 2nd gen Moto G?

I'm getting fed up of the phone. It's recently started to freeze and lag a bit.

Is the new Moto G 3rd gen any better or should I avoid it?

I have had a few problems for some time where I can make and receive calls however, a few seconds/mins into the call it will start glitching and making loud noises through the earpiece. I have reset the phone and got a new sim from Vodafone but the problem still arises. Support said that I can get a 'refund or replacement from Argos'' or else they will do a warranty repair.

ieoin wrote: »
    I have had a few problems for some time where I can make and receive calls however, a few seconds/mins into the call it will start glitching and making loud noises through the earpiece. I have reset the phone and got a new sim from Vodafone but the problem still arises. Support said that I can get a 'refund or replacement from Argos'' or else they will do a warranty repair.

I got mine in Argos too about 11 months ago. Did you go back to Argos with yours? Will they replace it with a 3rd gen?

Same my warranty expires in November, not yet I was just talking to Motorola support online. Not totally sure, ideally I want a replacement of refund but obviously a refund might be tricky to come by. It seems to be a hardware problem as I have tried my sim in the 1st gen Moto G and I didnt have dropped calls. What are you thinking of doing?

Same my warranty expires in November, not yet I was just talking to Motorola support online. Not totally sure, ideally I want a replacement of refund but obviously a refund might be tricky to come by. It seems to be a hardware problem as I have tried my sim in the 1st gen Moto G and I didnt have dropped calls. What are you thinking of doing?

I've emailed Argos to see what they say. I have no proof of purchase though. Would you believe I only threw the box and receipt out about 10 days ago!!! I doubt Argos will do anything for me due to no proof of purchase. Ideally I'd like a replacement, possible to the 3rd gen Moto G but it's highly unlikely.

I've emailed Argos to see what they say. I have no proof of purchase though. Would you believe I only threw the box and receipt out about 10 days ago!!! I doubt Argos will do anything for me due to no proof of purchase. Ideally I'd like a replacement, possible to the 3rd gen Moto G but it's highly unlikely.

Did you pay by cash or credit card? You could get on to Motorola support uk and explain the situation. They may have a record of your phone being purchased if you provide you IMEI and where you bought it from. It may be worth doing a full factory reset or trying a different sim to see to rule out if it is Vodafone that is causing the problem or the phone itself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

anybody having problems with the vibration not working on the Moto G first gen.

I think that they are a great phone but that the memory in the phone is too small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

I used to work in Argos, you should have been offered an email receipt when you bought the phone. :/

Occono wrote: »
    I used to work in Argos, you should have been offered an email receipt when you bought the phone. :/

Hi, thanks for that. I bought the phone in-store and I don't think I filled in anything with my email address on.

Just checked, couldn't find anything. Looks like I'm out of luck.

I contacted Motorola UK Support, waste of time, they said there's no issues with the Moto G, and to switch the phone to 2G for a few days & monitor it. They just fobbed me off.

Occono wrote: »
    My phone is still under warranty and I am going to be taking it back to Argos soon. Any advice on whether I should ask for a replacement or a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Occono

My phone is still under warranty and I am going to be taking it back to Argos soon. Any advice on whether I should ask for a replacement or a refund?

I never dealt with a return after 30 days personally, so I can't give any tips. I'll just link to the policy page: https://www.argos.ie/static/StaticDisplay/includeName/ReturnsAndRefunds.htm
    Hi, thanks for that. I bought the phone in-store and I don't think I filled in anything with my email address on.

Just checked, couldn't find anything. Looks like I'm out of luck.

I contacted Motorola UK Support, waste of time, they said there's no issues with the Moto G, and to switch the phone to 2G for a few days & monitor it. They just fobbed me off.

The email receipts were a new service when I started back in September, and it took a while for us to remember to do them because they hadn't made it automatic on the tills yet. Sorry if they forgot to offer you one. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

I have the same problem and it seems to be common but I don't know if there is a fix available though...
    Comerman wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me please, I've a 1st Gen Moto G but now when making or in the middle of a perfectly fine call the other persons voice would become what I can only describe as "scrobbled" it's like a type of scramble or the voice is now a bubbly sound. When I hang up and re-call everything worked fine again, any ideas please??

I have reset the phone, cleared the cache partition multiple times and use a new sim card from vodafone but nothing has resolved the issue. When I put my sim into another phone the buzzing/glitching sound does not occur. The noise occurs randomly into the call but it is basically happening on a daily basis.
    Moto support: ' If you are still facing the same issue even after the factory reset then you mobile needs to examine by qualified technician. We would like to suggest that you send your phone to our repair Centre'

'For replacement or refund you need to contact the place of purchase since retailer imported the product to their market so they need to provide refund or replacement. As a manufacturer we can offer you a warranty repair'

Mine is still under warranty with Argos so I am going to be bringing it back to them soon.

• Advertisement

Comerman wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light on this problem for me please, I've a 1st Gen Moto G but now when making or in the middle of a perfectly fine call the other persons voice would become what I can only describe as "scrobbled" it's like a type of scramble or the voice is now a bubbly sound. When I hang up and re-call everything worked fine again, any ideas please??

Having the same problem, where did you purchase your device?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭cyborg

Got mine from tesco UK and it worked perfectly for months and then the problem showed up so wonder if it is some app installation or SW upgrade that caused the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

used to have that buzzing problem on the 1st get moto g. It would basically stop the call because I wasn't able to hear anything else.

That was on vodafone.

I'm now on 48 and on the dredded update and that problem is no more.

No clue what used to cause it. No clue when it stopped but when I read this I realised how annoying it used to be.

used to have that buzzing problem on the 1st get moto g. It would basically stop the call because I wasn't able to hear anything else.

That was on vodafone.

I'm now on 48 and on the dredded update and that problem is no more.

No clue what used to cause it. No clue when it stopped but when I read this I realised how annoying it used to be.
    My dad is on vodafone as well and it is driving him nuts (2nd gen).
    New sim didnt seem of any use, what is up with the new 5.0.2 update, I have seen a few posts on reddit saying its bricking phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

My dad is on vodafone as well and it is driving him nuts (2nd gen).
    New sim didnt seem of any use, what is up with the new 5.0.2 update, I have seen a few posts on reddit saying its bricking phones.

It's fine for me on the first gen. My brother will be over from London in the next few weeks with the 2nd gen MOTO G (4G) from Tesco UK. This will be the second "replacement" of the original phone. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

That noise happened me again yesterday evening. It was the first time I made a call in 2 days, and on that day it happened 5 times in 1 hour. I'm with Vodafone, not sure if they're partially at fault too.

But as usual it's mid-call and then all this noise and rummaging appears in the earpiece and then the call drops.

This has been happening me for months with my 2nd gen Moto G.

Just made another call, first one since the last problem and AGAIN all the noise appeared in the earpiece about 2 mins into the call and the call then dropped.

I don't know if it's a dodgy phone or terrible network from Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just made another call, first one since the last problem and AGAIN all the noise appeared in the earpiece about 2 mins into the call and the call then dropped.

I don't know if it's a dodgy phone or terrible network from Vodafone.

Yeah happened to me with Gen 1 and Gen 2 Moto G' ended up getting rid of them and switched to a Windows phone and never had the issue again funnily enough I was using a Vodafone sim and the issue mostly appeared when signal dropped from 4 bars to 3 bars. But if you rely on your phone for making calls this isn't the phone for you.

Yeah happened to me with Gen 1 and Gen 2 Moto G' ended up getting rid of them and switched to a Windows phone and never had the issue again funnily enough I was using a Vodafone sim and the issue mostly appeared when signal dropped from 4 bars to 3 bars. But if you rely on your phone for making calls this isn't the phone for you.

I had a Windows phone before this, don't remember it ever happening then alright. Was half thinking of getting the Moto G 3 but maybe it'll give the same problem. Phone only ever has 2 or 3 bars, never 5 anymore.

Vodafone says it's not their problem and Motorola say there's no problems with the Moto G, I said there's stuff everywhere online about this problem and they said they've never heard of ANY issue with the Moto G.

My buzzing occurs anywhere, doesnt matter on location at all perhaps its something to do with vodafones signal. BS anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SO after a year and half or so I finally nixed my first gen moto g, screen is cracked to bits, what are the current gen ones like price wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Thanks for the reply. Have tried everything I could to fix it but kept running into the same issue as yourself. Will contact Motorola tomorrow
    deiseach wrote: »
    I had a similar problem to you. Rather than bore you with the details of how I got on here, I can bore you with the details of how I got on over at Motorola's forum.

I don't know how you got on, alwayswright. As it happens, my phone went kaput again three weeks after it was repaired. It's not a big deal, I was thinking of getting a new phone anyway. But it won't be a Motorola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

After being disappointed with the new Nexus 5x, I am converted to the moto g 3rd gen! Definitely going for the 2gb version as this is the big selling point for me - a little concerned about the reliability / issues people have mentioned over the past few pages regarding buzzing noises etc. Never had a moto - are they reasonably good?

Also, the best place I can find to buy it pricewise at the moment seems to be amazon uk preorder at £179 - is there anywhere else?

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

After being disappointed with the new Nexus 5x, I am converted to the moto g 3rd gen! Definitely going for the 2gb version as this is the big selling point for me - a little concerned about the reliability / issues people have mentioned over the past few pages regarding buzzing noises etc. Never had a moto - are they reasonably good?

Also, the best place I can find to buy it pricewise at the moment seems to be amazon uk preorder at £179 - is there anywhere else?

Thanks guys :)
    I got one (the 2gb) on Amazon.it . Should be around €225 delivered.

It was for my wife so I haven't spent any time with it myself but she seems happy so far. V. decent camera for the price.

I got one (the 2gb) on Amazon.it . Should be around €225 delivered.

It was for my wife so I haven't spent any time with it myself but she seems happy so far. V. decent camera for the price.

Thanks hurling_lad - think I will take the plunge!

• Advertisement

I wonder which phone would be better to get; the Moto G 3rd Gen. or the Vodafone Smart ultra 6?

Both seem to have a few small problems, but both are well regarded and fairly cheap. Any ideas?

I wonder which phone would be better to get; the Moto G 3rd Gen. or the Vodafone Smart ultra 6?

Both seem to have a few small problems, but both are well regarded and fairly cheap. Any ideas?

On paper the Ultra is better, but I would take the 2mb MotoG over it.

On paper the Ultra is better, but I would take the 2mb MotoG over it.

The size swings it for me - the Ultra is just too big!

Definitely decided on the 2GB G!
    Just wondering if anyone has order directed from Motorola UK? Any problems shipping to Parcel Motel in the north? Or in general? Better to stick with Amazon possibly?

Very tempted to go for one of the coloured options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

Definitely decided on the 2GB G!
    Just wondering if anyone has order directed from Motorola UK? Any problems shipping to Parcel Motel in the north? Or in general? Better to stick with Amazon possibly?

Very tempted to go for one of the coloured options :)

Ordering from Motorola UK is a complete non-starter as far as I can make out. I tried and it failed because they won't ship to Parcelmotel (or any other parcel handlers). I don't think that they accept non-UK credit cards either.

Thanks hurling lad - there goes the purple phone ideas! You have saved me wasting my time - thanks :)
    Looks like it's Amazon so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

deiseach wrote: »
    I don't know how you got on, alwayswright. As it happens, my phone went kaput again three weeks after it was repaired. It's not a big deal, I was thinking of getting a new phone anyway. But it won't be a Motorola.

Would you believe I was able to fix this 24 hours after I bought a new phone! Not worrying about any damage you might do aids the troubleshooting process. Time will tell if it's permanent (my wife is going to use the Moto G) but it's an itch well and truly scratched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

After around a year of hassle free phone usage, my Moto G (4G Lte) is starting to act up.

Occasionally the screen goes off after the 1st ring of an incoming call so I can't answer it.

Other times the Answer button/swite doesn't work and I've noticed sometimes when I tap to open an app, a completely different one opens!

Oh, and yesterday after charging for an hour and a half, with the lightning strike showing on battery, the level was 1% when I unplugged it!

Anyone else seen similar behaviour??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

2015 Moto G has no notification LED, seriously thinking of offloading it due to this. No idea what Motorola were thinking there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭geecee

Is amazon.it the only place that I can buy the 2GB model of the 3rd generation?
    Seems to be unavailable everywhere else?

geecee wrote: »
    Is amazon.it the only place that I can buy the 2GB model of the 3rd generation?
    Seems to be unavailable everywhere else?

I just preordered it from amazon uk - ships 22nd october apparently. Not ideal, but worth the wait hopefully. It dropped by £10 a couple of days ago, so an added bonus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just been notified of an OS update on my 2nd Gen. Anybody done it yet? I don't want to be a Guinea pig.
    Lollipop has worked fine for me since I got the courage so I'm less apprehensive about this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Just been notified of an OS update on my 2nd Gen. Anybody done it yet? I don't want to be a Guinea pig.
    Lollipop has worked fine for me since I got the courage so I'm less apprehensive about this one.
    5.1?

Dunno! And I seem to have lost it again, but if it's anything like the last time it will remind me every ten minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

Check the size of the file, if circa 10mb its likely just the small stagefright and assorted bug fix patch, depending on your system version it could be a larger patch circa 140 (but still 5.0.2). Android version change would be larger again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Burns71

Hi, I received the download last night and tried to install it. It was the stagefright and bug fix patch as far as I can tell. My phone (Moto G 2nd gen XT1068) has now locked up!! The phone was standard, nothing loaded on it apart from official android software. It hangs on the android load screen and won't do anything else. I have tried to factory reset it a few times but no go... My phone is 16 days outside the 12 month warranty and Motorola customer care want me to send it to their repair centre in Dublin and pay for it myself. Any advice on what I can do? Anybody have any idea on how much this will cost?

Oh oh! That's why I didn't want to chance it yet.

Feck, mine's half way through the update….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Feck, mine's half way through the update….

Updated mine this morning and no problems

What will the new update do? The only problem I have with my phone is coverage issues, calls dropping etc. Not sure if it's the phone or my network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement