Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dots104

Nono Toure wrote: »
    What will the new update do? The only problem I have with my phone is coverage issues, calls dropping etc. Not sure if it's the phone or my network.

I'm having awful trouble with the same in the Dublin area. Dropping calls all the time. Getting real fed up with it now. Is this down to a software or hardware fault?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

dots104 wrote: »
    I'm having awful trouble with the same in the Dublin area. Dropping calls all the time. Getting real fed up with it now. Is this down to a software or hardware fault?

Yesterday every call I was on dropped. Does yours make a load of screechy noises and then drop? Mine does. It'll go haywire, my earpiece starts making all sorts of noises, then the call drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Burns71

If I send my phone off the get fixed what are the chances that it is only a softwre fix that is required? The quote I have been given for that isn't too bad but if they have to replace anything then it's crazy money!! Getting desperate here and the motorola call centre won't know for a "few" days if my warranty will be extended to cover this repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Seems to have worked, had some trouble powering the phone up after though...

Yesterday every call I was on dropped. Does yours make a load of screechy noises and then drop? Mine does. It'll go haywire, my earpiece starts making all sorts of noises, then the call drops.

The noise i get is like the other person is in an windy area and then the phone calls cuts out. Think i might just give up on it. The 8gb storage is really getting a pain now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Mine does that. Not every call or even every second but it's bloody annoying. I've a 1st Gen running 5.0.2.

dots104 wrote: »
    The noise i get is like the other person is in an windy area and then the phone calls cuts out. Think i might just give up on it. The 8gb storage is really getting a pain now.

Yeah the 8gb is annoying especially seeing as 3gb of that is used with pre-loaded crap. I'm with Vodafone, I assumed it was just their coverage. What network are you with?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Decided to do the update.. Now Im stuck in the M logo stage of booting up. Must be nearly an hour now. Any ideas what to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭whiteboard

have the same problem - stuck on the M logo too
    not good for an official update!

whiteboard wrote: »
    have the same problem - stuck on the M logo too
    not good for an official update!

Happy not to be the only one! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Jaysus, Motorola bang on about how quick they get updates rolled out.

All they do is break their phones.

Stuck in boot loop no matter what. Tried clearing cache partition and factory reset in flash mode, no good.

Hi, the exact same thing happned to me last night. Tried clearing cache and factory reset and still nothing. The phone is packed up and ready to post up to Dublin service centre in the morning .... and if I'm realy lucky Motorola won't charge me for having to fix their mistake (16 days out on my 12 month warranty!!). Not very impressed with Motorola customer care service today.

Burns71 wrote: »
    Hi, the exact same thing happned to me last night. Tried clearing cache and factory reset and still nothing. The phone is packed up and ready to post up to Dublin service centre in the morning .... and if I'm realy lucky Motorola won't charge me for having to fix their mistake (16 days out on my 12 month warranty!!). Not very impressed with Motorola customer care service today.

Ugh. Why did I have to update!

Ive emailed them and will do the same thing I'd say. Still a month left in Warranty.:rolleyes:

I think I am well out of warranty - need to check though
    So interested to hear how you get on but may have to find another way
    running 2 simms, so a real bummer trying to rig up 2 phones to replace

Found this which I am in the process of executing
    best instructions so far

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/101072/p/30,6720,9197

will let know how i get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

probably good to back up things, and do a Factory Reset before the upgrade.

What utter BS that an upgrade can mess up a perfect phone. Apple may be over priced but the kind of nonsense I've seen on Android never happens with iOS.

Having a look on the net it's not just us it's happned to. Posts on Reddit and on Motorola's forum report the same thing. I can't post links because i'm a new user but if you have a look on forums.motorola.com under Moto G 2nd Gen you will find posts. So they must know about the issue but I was assured yesterday that there is no problem with the update. I would advise anyone to very careful in installing the update. Mine is a XT1068 2nd Gen and I was wondering what models of Moto G did you guys try to update? Just trying to figure out if it's just an issue with the XT1068?

• Advertisement

Yeah the 8gb is annoying especially seeing as 3gb of that is used with pre-loaded crap. I'm with Vodafone, I assumed it was just their coverage. What network are you with?

Im with meteor at the moment

That means that maybe Vodafone are not to blame so...

Burns71 wrote: »
    Having a look on the net it's not just us it's happned to. Posts on Reddit and on Motorola's forum report the same thing. I can't post links because i'm a new user but if you have a look on forums.motorola.com under Moto G 2nd Gen you will find posts. So they must know about the issue but I was assured yesterday that there is no problem with the update. I would advise anyone to very careful in installing the update. Mine is a XT1068 2nd Gen and I was wondering what models of Moto G did you guys try to update? Just trying to figure out if it's just an issue with the XT1068?

Same model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it just me or is the battery life complete pants on the new model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

That means that maybe Vodafone are not to blame so...
    It is 100% that Vodafone is causing the issues with call being dropped etc.
    I have tired my sim in both the 1st gen & 2nd gen Moto g and still the problem exists, even a new sim factory reset etc etc does nothing.

ieoin wrote: »
    It is 100% that Vodafone is causing the issues with call being dropped etc.
    I have tired my sim in both the 1st gen & 2nd gen Moto g and still the problem exists, even a new sim factory reset etc etc does nothing.

Hmm, OK. I was hoping it was purely the phone's fault and maybe not Vodafone's.

I've been having dropped-call issues for months upon months now, Vodafone said it wasn't their fault and Motorola said they never heard of the Moto G2 giving them issues.

• Advertisement

Hmm, OK. I was hoping it was purely the phone's fault and maybe not Vodafone's.

I've been having dropped-call issues for months upon months now, Vodafone said it wasn't their fault and Motorola said they never heard of the Moto G2 giving them issues.

TBH I would imagine Vodafone would say that. My meteor sim never gave me trouble in my Moto G, as soon as I popped in the Vodafone sim the same problems happened yet again. I think it must be to do with when the signal drops to a certain strength. From my pov there is no other logical explanation as the calling dropping only occurs when I use a Vodafone sim regardless of what Moto G I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Motorola tried to tell me that my dropped calls were Vodafone issue but I got a new sim card and it is still happening. The sim does not drop calls in any other phone so that indicates it is a Motorola problem. Will never buy one again but that doesn't solve things.

Motorola tried to tell me that my dropped calls were Vodafone issue but I got a new sim card and it is still happening. The sim does not drop calls in any other phone so that indicates it is a Motorola problem. Will never buy one again but that doesn't solve things.
    Thats strange maybe its a combination of both cause I never got dropped calls with Meteor at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

My new Moto G just shipped today! Concerned about the Android update that people have mentioned tanked their phones :eek::eek: Any update on this? Should I avoid installing it when I get my shiny new phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I wonder have they recalled/cancelled the update? It hasn't asked me to update for a few days. Originally I was getting constant reminders.

• Advertisement

My new Moto G just shipped today! Concerned about the Android update that people have mentioned tanked their phones :eek::eek: Any update on this? Should I avoid installing it when I get my shiny new phone?

If I've learnt one thing from MotoG ownership it is avoid all updates, all they do is ruin a perfectly good phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

If I've learnt one thing from MotoG ownership it is avoid all updates, all they do is ruin a perfectly good phone.

I agree with that. My moto g first gen ran better with jellybean 4.3 then KitKat. My second gen ran better with KitKat then lollipop. Updates are not always better.

Just got my Moto g 2GB today! :) Delighted to be joining this thread :) Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
    It's running 5.1.1 at the moment - looking forward to marshmallow eventually.
    Really like it so far, though I only really use it for email, spotify, calls etc. No gaming.

Hopefully I will not run into the vodafone dropped calls issue :(

Just got my Moto g 2GB today! :) Delighted to be joining this thread :) Thanks for all the advice from everyone.
    Really like it so far, though I only really use it for email, spotify, calls etc. No gaming.

If you do will you report it here so we know. A call dropped on me again last night. It makes loads of noises in the earpiece and then beep - call dropped!

Good luck with the new phone. I doubt you'll have any trouble with it. They're a good phone in general, mine is an 8GB which is annoying as it's always full, the 16GB is a better buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Currently on the Moto G first Gen. The 8GB is horribly inadequate. I have feck all apps the lack of a memory card slot makes it all the worst. 2.5GB taken up with the pre installed stuff. There are a handful as in 1 or 2 apps I use all the time that require updates every few weeks. Every time they require an update, I am forced to clear, to google history, and my facebook cache etc, just to make, I have already uninstalled all the apps I don't use.
    I would have liked to get a newer gen moto G when I am out of contract, but people don't seem as excited anymore about the Moto G. From what I can see, 3 mobile is the only carrier in Ireland selling Motorola phones at present, and would you believe it they only have the 1 gig ram, 8GB memory version. How about giving me a chance to upgrade here.

Hi GreenMachine

Would you consider getting it SIM free? Amazon have it for £169 though it is out of stock again now. Mine was not meant to ship until 22nd Oct but it arrived much earlier so you may not be waiting long.
    The Smart Ultra 6 would be a bit cheaper but you would have to get it unlocked from Vodafone, also it's a 5.5" screen so a bit bigger.

They were the two I considered and I went with the Moto G 2GB/16GB in the finish purely because of the smaller size and updates.

Hi GreenMachine

Would you consider getting it SIM free? Amazon have it for £169 though it is out of stock again now. Mine was not meant to ship until 22nd Oct but it arrived much earlier so you may not be waiting long.
    The Smart Ultra 6 would be a bit cheaper but you would have to get it unlocked from Vodafone, also it's a 5.5" screen so a bit bigger.

They were the two I considered and I went with the Moto G 2GB/16GB in the finish purely because of the smaller size and updates.

I am in contract at the moment, so won't change my phone just yet. I think I am about 13-14 months into a 24 month contract. I am hoping Moto G will have another update again next year. :D Although supply is likely to be an issue, again, I am hoping by this stage that the entry level memory will be 18GB. I am flexible regarding networks when that time comes and will be watching ID mobile to see how they perform over the next 8-9 months on 3 mobiles network, I will also be keeping an eye on, Virgin to see if they have any good offer coming up, including the mobile phone offering.

I would consider buying the phone outright, rather than be tied to a lengthy contract. I have heard a few mention the smart ultra, but had not considered,whether it was available on prepay or not. Would this be pre-locked, even if bought online before the sim card goes in.

I find vodafone horribly expensive for the type of phone user that I am. Most of my internet on wifi, home, Dublin bus, or where ever I am eating or drinking, at which stage I am using my phone much less anyway. At home alot of the day so I have a choice of UPC free minute and my bundle minutes, not to mention, I can make call with Viber, Whatapp, Skype et al.

I am pretty far from their ideal demographic. :o:o

Currently on the Moto G first Gen. The 8GB is horribly inadequate. I have feck all apps the lack of a memory card slot makes it all the worst. 2.5GB taken up with the pre installed stuff. There are a handful as in 1 or 2 apps I use all the time that require updates every few weeks. Every time they require an update, I am forced to clear, to google history, and my facebook cache etc, just to make, I have already uninstalled all the apps I don't use.
    I would have liked to get a newer gen moto G when I am out of contract, but people don't seem as excited anymore about the Moto G. From what I can see, 3 mobile is the only carrier in Ireland selling Motorola phones at present, and would you believe it they only have the 1 gig ram, 8GB memory version. How about giving me a chance to upgrade here.

Disable apps you dont use which will restore them back to factory settings reducing space. I also use ccleaner which is handy for getting rid of cache etc. Perhaps try out facebook in google chrome and enable notifications within the app saves space and also will extend your battery life as facebook and messenger are big battery drainers.

ieoin wrote: »
    Disable apps you dont use which will restore them back to factory settings reducing space. I also use ccleaner which is handy for getting rid of cache etc. Perhaps try out facebook in google chrome and enable notifications within the app saves space and also will extend your battery life as facebook and messenger are big battery drainers.

To be honest deleted all the apps I don't use and routinely clear, the cache for facebook and linkedin etc. Facebook isn't using that much as such. The apps I use have a lot of data, delete that and I have lost a year of game progress, upgrades etc. :o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Meteor sell the new version moto g but its also the 8gb version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

I have the first gen moto g as well but the lack of space is killing the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Hi there, just wondering who/where you got your moto g from and how much? Many thanks

tiegan wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering who/where you got your moto g from and how much? Many thanks

Hi tiegan

I got it from amazon UK - originally preordered about a week ago with expected shipping of 22nd October but it was much quicker than that. They are out of stock again now I think but it will probably ship quickly enough!. The price was £169 incl shipping - with the extra VAT for Ireland it came in at about £174 I think.

NATLOR wrote: »
    Meteor sell the new version moto g but its also the 8gb version

It will be a cold day before I give meteor my money again, after they refused to repair an a phone because apparently a sticker was damaged.

Just got my replacement moto g from amazon. Do I update to lollipop first. Last time i kept getting annoying popups to update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

The marshmallow update when it comes will let you transfer your apps to microsd card as well as downloading them direct to the memory card

Just got my replacement moto g from amazon. Do I update to lollipop first. Last time i kept getting annoying popups to update

Which version of phone?

Don't update...probably end up bricked.

Just started update because last time got pop ups every few mins. Will let you know how I get on

Just started update because last time got pop ups every few mins. Will let you know how I get on

You could've turned off the Pop ups.

Ah, it should be grand.

• Advertisement

Spent ages trying to turn it off to no avail. Was so bad couldn't use phone properly. Fingers crossed it will be OK.

Advertisement