Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

Anyone with a 3rd gen updated to marshmallow yet? Keep getting the notification and it's annoyingly tempting :D

Yes I updated to marshmallow a few weeks ago with no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

Has anyone with a 2nd Gen upgraded to Marshmallow? I've an XT1072 4G on Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

nc6000 wrote: »
    Has anyone with a 2nd Gen upgraded to Marshmallow? I've an XT1072 4G on Vodafone.

Same, not yet

I got the Marshmallow update this morning. So far so good but it did tell me my SD card was a bit slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

So glad I read this before 'upgrading'. Battery life is almost halved with Marshmellow.

http://www.techdroider.com/2016/01/motorola-moto-g-3rd-gen-lollipop-vs-marshmallow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

Anyone have any problems with the 3rd gen and not receiving calls? My brother has this problem. When we ring it beeps like he is disconnected. Can get texts though. Tried the usual resets,aeroplane mode on and off etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Received the Moto G 2nd Gen 3G (XT1068) (8GB) update to 6.0 earlier tonight, finally! Delighted because I have been SUFFERING with space issues for the longest time now, very happy to format my SD card and use it as internal storage, maybe now I can actually get through a day without having to delete some space. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mantis1234

Just got a moto g 3rd gen yesterday. Should I download the marshmallow update? I've seen some people online saying it just made their phone slower.

Also what are the main changes in it?

I'm well impressed so with the battery life on my 2nd Gen running Marshmallow. I unplugged it from the charger on Friday at 10.00 when the battery was fully charged and now at almost 22.00 on Saturday the battery is at 26%.

I've been receiving push emails, did a spot of browsing, been using Twitter, spent a few hours on voice calls and it's still going strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Mantis1234 wrote: »
    Just got a moto g 3rd gen yesterday. Should I download the marshmallow update? I've seen some people online saying it just made their phone slower.

Also what are the main changes in it?

The main change I think is being able to use the SD card as internal storage.

Have read some comments about battery life being reduced so am still holding off on it (3rd gen).

• Advertisement

The main change I think is being able to use the SD card as internal storage.

Have read some comments about battery life being reduced so am still holding off on it (3rd gen).

Have updated my 3rd gen to marshmallow - about a month ago now - no issues with phone slowing down or battery life - for what its worth.

Ok so I installed marshmallow. Before installing, my battery was at 66%. After installing, 50%.

I'm not sure if this was because the install process used up a lot of battery life or if it just robbed 16% from me for no reason. I'll see how the battery lasts today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Installing or updating generally uses a lot of battery.

RossieMan wrote: »
    Installing or updating generally uses a lot of battery.

Yeah that's probably all it was. I'll see how it goes today anyway

Mantis1234 wrote: »
    Yeah that's probably all it was. I'll see how it goes today anyway

Keep us posted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I installed Narshmallow on my 2nd gen over the weekend. No major issues. Everything seems a little faster.

My only annoyance is how it gives you a full-on notification when it joins a network that you have to sign into. My phone is going to vibrate every few seconds walking down O'Connell Street with all the buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Peregrine wrote: »
    I installed Narshmallow on my 2nd gen over the weekend. No major issues. Everything seems a little faster.

My only annoyance is how it gives you a full-on notification when it joins a network that you have to sign into. My phone is going to vibrate every few seconds walking down O'Connell Street with all the buses.

What ya leaving wi Fi on for?

Alright after taking the phone off the charger at 7am this morning the battery is still at 91% so everythings grand I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

I've a 2nd generation. Phone says my software is up to date.Will the Marshmallow update just arrive in its own time, or can I trigger it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Got the notification for Marshmallow update on my 2nd gen this morning. Everything installed okay and it's working fine. I found the 2nd gen a little sluggish compared to the first but it seems a bit better now (subjective I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Picky owner

Update my moto gen 2 to marshmallow,seemed OK at first but noticed some apps and camera/video can be a bit buggy.

Update my moto gen 2 to marshmallow,seemed OK at first but noticed some apps and camera/video can be a bit buggy.

Wipe cache at least?
    Wipe phone?

Don't complain till u do those anyway if you've a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone recommend a case for the 3rd gen model? Preferably available in bricks and mortar shop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Amazon Warehouse are currently doing £20 off a £100 spend and have a selection of 3rd gen 16gb listed as "used very good" available for under €168 delivered after discount is applied.
    Used very good usually means just a bit of box damage,will say in description, with everything still in new condition ( I buy regularly) and Amazon have a no quibble returns policy if you have any issues.
    A great price for anyone looking to buy IMO

LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

nc6000 wrote: »
    I got the Marshmallow update this morning. So far so good but it did tell me my SD card was a bit slow.

I got the same warning (2nd Gen). Tried 2 different UHS-1 32GB cards (both 'used', not fresh out of the box). Felt the phone was a bit slow. Bit the bullet, and reformatted to portable storage, deleting a few apps that I didn't use much in order to clear a bit of internal space. Did a factory wipe too.

Overall, pretty happy with the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Picky owner

Don't complain till u do those anyway if you've a problem.

Yeah I done all that,still the same,could be a problem with my SD card have it formatted as internal storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a case for the 3rd gen model? Preferably available in bricks and mortar shop!

I have the official moto flip shell case and love it! Got it on amazon.

curiosity wrote: »
    I got the same warning (2nd Gen). Tried 2 different UHS-1 32GB cards (both 'used', not fresh out of the box). Felt the phone was a bit slow. Bit the bullet, and reformatted to portable storage, deleting a few apps that I didn't use much in order to clear a bit of internal space. Did a factory wipe too.

Overall, pretty happy with the update.

Any idea why this new Kingston 16 GB UHS Class 1/Class10 MicroSDHC card doesn't seem suitable for use as internal storage on a Moto G 2015 after the Marshmallow update?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-SDC10G2-16GB-MicroSDHC-Included/dp/B0162YQEIE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1458907442&sr=8-5&keywords=kingston+16gb

I would have thought it was fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

got a 3rd gen and after update it wasnt reading the sd card. I wiped it and formatted as internal storage. Some apps like fb messenger arent working. After fresh installs too. Gonna try factor reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Bykobap

Bought Moto g 2 years ago from Meteor and inserted Tesco sim.
    All good.
    Once outside of Ireland phone is looking for "sim network unlock pin" and i cant text or make a phone call.
    Will ebay code sellers sort it out for a fiver or what should i do.
    I am useless at formatting, rooting etc.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Bykobap wrote: »
    Bought Moto g 2 years ago from Meteor and inserted Tesco sim.
    All good.
    Once outside of Ireland phone is looking for "sim network unlock pin" and i cant text or make a phone call.
    Will ebay code sellers sort it out for a fiver or what should i do.
    I am useless at formatting, rooting etc.
    Thanks

If you mean you tried a different sim and it wont work then the phone is locked so an unlock code from e bay will sort that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

The moto g has to be the worst phone I have ever had and would not recommend. I have the 2nd gen dual sim version which I bought last May. Had loads of problems and had to factory reset 4 times before amazon replaced it. In fairness to them there was no issue. The new one did have a few problems with dropped calls but not as frequent ie every couple of months instead of every month. But last week it stuck on optimizing apps for ages and last night the same. It seems to relate to updates from google play. Anyone else experience this?
    decided to contact amazon and am sending it back. Have to say amazon have a really good customer service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I left my 4G (2nd gen I think) in a taxi last night.

Bit of a disaster. Had a lovely blue flip case as well.

Is there a god place to buy a new one for a reasonable price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can anyone see why this 3rd gen is 120 pounds
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-moto-g-black-3rd-gen/599-0069.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=599-0069#reviews

Yet this 2nd gen (the one I had) is 140 pounds
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-2nd-generation-4g-black/736-0196.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=736-0196

The description says the 3rd gen is also 4g also so can't see the reason for the discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

Like a few other users here I'm also having problems since I updated to Marshmallow. I have the 2nd gen dual sim version which I bought off Amazon probably over a year ago now.

Since I've upgraded to Marshmallow some apps are crashing (Unfortunately xxx has stopped working). I've formatted and re-formatted my SD card to be used as internal storage however despite there being around 7 GB of free space on it, I'm still getting messages that the device is out of storage, and can't update apps.

What makes matters worse is that the option to manually move apps to the SD card doesn't seem to exist any longer. Its made my phone pretty unusable the internal storage on the phone is quite limited.

If anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

Like a few other users here I'm also having problems since I updated to Marshmallow. I have the 2nd gen dual sim version which I bought off Amazon probably over a year ago now.

Since I've upgraded to Marshmallow some apps are crashing (Unfortunately xxx has stopped working). I've formatted and re-formatted my SD card to be used as internal storage however despite there being around 7 GB of free space on it, I'm still getting messages that the device is out of storage, and can't update apps.

What makes matters worse is that the option to manually move apps to the SD card doesn't seem to exist any longer. Its made my phone pretty unusable the internal storage on the phone is quite limited.

If bought from amazon email them and ask if you can return it. I just returned mine which I had bought in Oct and got a refund. Their customer service is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

I have the same phone, and tried using the SD card as internal storage when the Marshmallow update arrived. From what I recall, not a lot of apps moved over, and those that did felt a bit slow. I did a factory reset, and formatted the SD card as portable storage. I disabled a few apps, and uninstalled some others, leaving about 1.5GB free. Phone runs smoothly now. Hope this helps.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Dave..M

If u are using internal storage option Motorola didn't really make it easy to find and move apps (need to open each and select storage and move manually) try AppMgr III in the playstore, it notes apps that can be moved (not all can based on developer implementation) and opens the app page on each to move them. Worth nothing that once an app updates it flips back to phone memory and u need to move again , for some reason this fails first time but just move again and it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

has anyone else retruned their moto g with the marshmallow issues?

I haven't found Marshmallow to be too bad on my 2nd Gen. It seems to work best when there is about 1GB free internal space.

Using an SD card to expand internal storage doesn't seem to work on the Class 1 SD Kingston card I bought which was a bit disappointing. The card should be fast enough to use and I couldn't see any obvious reason it wasn't suitable as it was unused before going into the phone.

I've cleared the cache and done a factory reset.

I have had excellent battery life though since updating to Marshmallow.

• Advertisement

So have many here got the 3rd gen and how are you finding it?

Good spec for price I think - what other phone is worth considering? MotoX?

I see the first gen moto is after getting a security update there aswell today.

I have the 3rd gen - love it, and am lucky enough that the 4G is very good in my area. Great speeds. I used to have the original first gen which I also loved, but lack of memory made me upgrade to the 16GB 3rd gen. Absolutley no regrets and no probs with marshmallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Doogee X5 Pro? Mentioned recently on Boards; <€60 from Amazon.de; c. €70 from China/HK.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Doogee X5 Pro? Mentioned recently on Boards; <€60 from Amazon.de; c. €70 from China/HK.

I had a Doogee F3 Pro. It was crap so sent it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

Down to €194 on Argos.
    €186 on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone recommend a memory card for use with the 3rd gen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Sub430 wrote: »
    Down to €194 on Argos.
    €186 on Amazon.
    Are these permanent drops of just offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Are these permanent drops of just offers.

The new moto g is just around the cornor.. To be honest I wouldn't even pay these current reduced prices for current model. €194 for a year old phone with relatively low end hardware. I'd wait for the new one unless these third gen models came down to the €150 mark.

The new moto g is just around the cornor.. To be honest I wouldn't even pay these current reduced prices for current model. €194 for a year old phone with relatively low end hardware. I'd wait for the new one unless these third gen models came down to the €150 mark.

Jeez, that's quick, not even a year between 3 and 4. Estimated June 9 but not alot of info out there, 2 models priced between 240 and 280 so current gen3 is pricey if correct. Coming with finger scanner (who cares) and 5.5" in size for both apparently...to big for me I think...5" is the spot for me.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/new-motorola-moto-g4-2016-release-date-price-specs-leak-images-video-june-3601187/

• Advertisement

Jeez, that's quick, not even a year between 3 and 4. Estimated June 9 but not alot of info out there, 2 models priced between 240 and 280 so current gen3 is pricey if correct. Coming with finger scanner (who cares) and 5.5" in size for both apparently...to big for me I think...5" is the spot for me.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/mobile-phone/new-motorola-moto-g4-2016-release-date-price-specs-leak-images-video-june-3601187/

More info, 3 models now.

All sorts of variations. Looking like great price £200 for the best 1-->5.5", 1080p, Snapdragon 617 octa-core processor paired with 2GB or 4GB of RAM depending on how much storage you opt for, 16MP camera, 3,000mAh battery and "TurboPower" functionality for fast charging.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/05/17/motorola-moto-g-4th-generation/

Advertisement