Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Pity they moved it to a 5.5 inch screen - the 5" was what attracted me to the G3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Pity they moved it to a 5.5 inch screen - the 5" was what attracted me to the G3

Theirs a 5" coming but the G3 may be the better buy...

We don't have full details on the Moto G4 Play, but it's definitely going to be the cheapest of the three. It's got a 5-inch 720p display, a Snapdragon 410 processor and a 2,800mAh battery. Those are similar specs to last year's G -- the battery is actually larger -- but elsewhere we're looking at an inferior device. The G's waterproofing has been replaced with "splash proofing," and the camera only has an 8-megapixel sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Anyone know the best place to buy the 3rd Gen 16gb Moto G?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

dixiefly wrote: »
    Anyone know the best place to buy the 3rd Gen 16gb Moto G?

Thanks

Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bovis

Meteor has the Moto G 3rd Gen at 139 Euro. Is that a good deal?
    I know its not the latest MotoG generation now but the latest G4 doesnt have water protection like the 3rd gen has and thats important to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,346 ✭✭✭nc6000

bovis wrote:
    Meteor has the Moto G 3rd Gen at 139 Euro. Is that a good deal? I know its not the latest MotoG generation now but the latest G4 doesnt have water protection like the 3rd gen has and thats important to me.

Looks like a good price to me. I'm presuming it's the 1GB\8GB model which would be the lower spec one with not much space or RAM for apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭tiegan

@Bovis - price is good enough, but as nc6000 mentioned the 1GB/8GB model really has its limits. I have the 2GB/16GB version and I love it. The 4G coverage in my area is excellent too which is a big bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

The 8Gb model is just too small.Its a constant delete one for another with apps ..I updated to Marshmallow and there is now no option (that i Know of) to save some apps to sd card. There was an option when i updated to allow sd card to be included as internal sd memory but i went the external option and now it cant be used to move any apps to external so memory is very limited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm reading online that the new moto G4's snapdagon 617 is causing over heating issues particularly with camera usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Hi guys,

Do ye know by any chance if the Moto G 3rd gen that meteor have come unlocked or locked to meteor.

Bought one for the Girfriend which is due to arrive tomorrow but she's on eMobile

• Advertisement

It used to be the case with Meteor that the phone locks to the first SIM card used in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Without reading pages of this thread, are they cheap to unlock? Meteor don't have any in stock and I was gonna try Three. Thanks.

Anyone know anywhere else in Dublin/Wicklow I could pick one up today <€150 new?

Do Argos have any in stock? They'll be unlocked if they do.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Do Argos have any in stock? They'll be unlocked if they do.
    Didn't bother checking stock as when I searched on their site both versions of the phone showed as €209!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bovis

FYI - don't bother trying to order via the motorola.co.uk website. I tried to order the Moto G plus via the motorola.co.uk website using a discount code deal that was mentioned on the HDUK site. I used parcelmotel. However, within hours Motorola blocked my order and when I called them they said that ParcelMotel was blacklisted. Just wanted to let you know.

bovis wrote: »
    FYI - don't bother trying to order via the motorola.co.uk website. I tried to order the Moto G plus via the motorola.co.uk website using a discount code deal that was mentioned on the HDUK site. I used parcelmotel. However, within hours Motorola blocked my order and when I called them they said that ParcelMotel was blacklisted. Just wanted to let you know.
    Cool thanks. Hoping I'll find some way to pick one up over the weekend. Anyone know about my unlocking question? Will have a root through the thread and see if I can spot an answer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

My 2nd Gen getting very slow lately despite me clearing cache, removing unwanted apps, rebooting etc.
    Any suggestions for giving it a bit of resuscitation without rooting or whatever?

My 2nd Gen getting very slow lately despite me clearing cache, removing unwanted apps, rebooting etc.
    Any suggestions for giving it a bit of resuscitation without rooting or whatever?

Format

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

First gen (XT1032) 8GB is becoming really slow and pretty much useless for the likes of Snapchat. Also keep having to delete apps due to lack of space. I've cleared the cache in boot mode a few times already.

Will formatting make a noticeable difference? or is 2.5 years service a good lifespan for a phone these days and I should consider something new?

First gen (XT1032) 8GB is becoming really slow and pretty much useless for the likes of Snapchat. Also keep having to delete apps due to lack of space. I've cleared the cache in boot mode a few times already.

Will formatting make a noticeable difference? or is 2.5 years service a good lifespan for a phone these days and I should consider something new?

I've same phone, goes like new, on Android 5.1 without the last security update, didn't install due to mess they made with version 5.0.1.

Format it, very easy, sure you've very little to do once you log in after, it does it all itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm worried about losing everything if I format. I can't figure out if my stuff is backed up it not.

I'm worried about losing everything if I format. I can't figure out if my stuff is backed up it not.
    Theirs just a box you tick in (I don't have my phone with me now) in settings, I think it's Settings-->Back Up-->Back up my Data.

Tick that and leave it awhile to do it's thing. If worried about phone numbers not backing up you can go in to calls (click call button as if making a call) and go into settings in there and make sure all numbers are saved on sim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭curiousoranje

Cheers, formatted and now feels a bit more zippy. Had all my stuff backed up with CM Backup so no hassle in restoring what I wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Hi. Phone is dying fast, going on holiday, so need a phone from a B&M shop. Looking at the 16G moto g from argos. They have 3rd & 4th gen for similar prices. Any advice, anyone got a 4th gen yet, is it much better or better at all.

Hi. Phone is dying fast, going on holiday, so need a phone from a B&M shop. Looking at the 16G moto g from argos. They have 3rd & 4th gen for similar prices. Any advice, anyone got a 4th gen yet, is it much better or better at all.

I think Argos have the 2nd and 3rd Gen models which are both 8GB and not the best if you plan on installing many apps as Android on it's own takes up almost half the internal storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think Argos have the 2nd and 3rd Gen models which are both 8GB and not the best if you plan on installing many apps as Android on it's own takes up almost half the internal storage.
    2nd gen: 8 or 16 GB storage, microSD card slot; expandable up to 32 GB

3rd gen: 8 or 16 GB, microSD card slot

(above from Wikipedia...)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys I have a 2nd gen moto g running on marshmallow. It has become painfully slow and laggy over the past month. I reformatted, cleared cache etc several times and the phone would speed up for a few days and then become slow and laggy again.

I took a gamble and flashed cyanogenmod 13 to the phone.

My goodness, what a difference. The phone is running beautifully. So smooth and responsive.

The battery lasts soooo much longer now too

It also allowed me to remove some bloatware such as the Google Hindi keyboard etc and other useless apps.

I found the tutorial on YouTube

I highly recommended cyanogenmod 13 if you have a slow moto g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

yep, flashed mine the day i bought it, goodbye bloatware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Also running CM13 on my XT1039 (moto g 4g 1st gen), runs really smooth and solid.

I suggest putting the battery mode to Efficiency to save battery further because the CPU doesnt seem to underclock itself fully on Balanced to save power
    (approx 700mhz on Balanced vs 300mhz on Efficiency)

• Advertisement

Cyanogenmod is so good that I flashed it to my mums 1st gen moto g tonight and that's now also running silky smooth

Its a really brilliant ROM :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

With marshmallow the sd card is the same as internal memory so I wouldn't be put off by the 8gb memory.

Akrasia wrote:
    With marshmallow the sd card is the same as internal memory so I wouldn't be put off by the 8gb memory.

Have you got this to work? My Class 10 Kingston SD HC 1 card was too slow apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Akrasia wrote: »
    Have you got this to work? My Class 10 Kingston SD HC 1 card was too slow apparently.

It didn't work for me. My SD card was accepted fine and the phone shows 36gb memory, but the stock android is still saved to internal storage and the sd card is practically empty. I can move all apps over to the sd card but they don't work if I do (eg spotify, whatsapp).

juke wrote:
    It didn't work for me. My SD card was accepted fine and the phone shows 36gb memory, but the stock android is still saved to internal storage and the sd card is practically empty. I can move all apps over to the sd card but they don't work if I do (eg spotify, whatsapp).

This sounds similar to my experience. All I have on my SD card are pictures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is there anywhere I can walk into tomorrow and buy a Moto G4?
    I know Expansys have them but I need to pick one up before the weekend, my better half's phone has died and I was looking at the Nexus 5x but the Moto G4 seems like a nice alternative, plus I had a great experience with the first gen Moto G.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Got a moto g 3rd generation in Meteor today and can confirm it still locks to the first sim you try. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I know Expansys have them but I need to pick one up before the weekend, my better half's phone has died and I was looking at the Nexus 5x but the Moto G4 seems like a nice alternative, plus I had a great experience with the first gen Moto G.
    Same question here.
    Who are expanys? Are they good to deal with.
    Is listed in argos but shows no stock anywhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Expansys are a local internet based front end for a store.
    Buying online from them is fast and efficient.
    It is similar to the likes of Komplett.
    Just be aware of general pricing directions, as somethings are cheap while others are more expensive, same rules for most online buying tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Don't go by what experience you had with the first Moto G. G4 has probably the worst SoC made by Qualcomm. It's riddled with problems and overheats (may not be a problem in Ireland, but still)

It also does not have a magnetometer.

The first Moto G was a fantastic device (after they fixed multitasking) and I still have one, but it's not the same Motorola anymore. In fact it's not Motorola at all anymore, it's Lenovo.

I'd rather get a Nexus 5X, or OnePlus X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Have the G4 a few days now and have to say its absolutely brilliant. Camera, screen and performance all fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Have the G4 a few days now and have to say its absolutely brilliant. Camera, screen and performance all fantastic.

Lies! All lies!

Seriously though, if you like it, great. I'm not going to get a G4 though. Snapdragon 615-617 is awful, for that price it should've been 650.

I decided to install Cyanogenmod 13 on my Moto G and it seems to have solved the adoptable storage issue I previously saw. At least I think it has. Does this screenshot look correct after I added a 16GB SD card to my 8GB Moto G? I would have thought the Internal Storage figure would have increased.

8QUtnRJHWkuvaMvb_XD0GVMs2Pc7LpiHPTzGytcA3BgSP7yH6sY_3Q73NdJIE2T2sE5q-8R2pyq25q1-oCZp5jCOi1JHbNItF1YyB8dkvvMqwlOVMcsVcVCKHUOAjAIF4MF5KI9n3hmGwYB6f2D98vJqnE74lEAmT_9Xt9SSB8kpV6aPBjoRA18UYPNx1hc7HBjnwlke_qqU3FUWtv-TkxQqzCD8flhGxoJDIKiz91MzSMZeFYi174lRn7d1ZoA_OGdnkDdUkdCMpbA8FJZ_gLe8E2evfH6e0s4FkCIDjtloNxL0Mj8qQb2fEVGTNP02kYpW-aRP8cCyTui-MLvXXOg_NACPOOFsdQY0xO_9uwI7lSZ9kEso5ua5wlXmO5mfsVqlJI7hfCuNip2or4E_zROryPEEtxmz18boUOqNVRZwvnh_2dW-sBKnxpn9LlPXgHndyCUBC40C8leXPgZO2SkzOE2xAaFdgrnSORNQbWRjoamIrcy8M6Rie-FfAtco5AJp_ZDh5yZ--XBUwE_GJRqRKPvXFpq0vfcgva_KIWA32R3j-CpksKYytxswUlv8iiDzqBT-WRfFFYAxCXdgpZ4jtMW8k38=w432-h768-no

I still cannot believe how well my 2nd gen moto runs on cm13

I be putting cm on all of my future phones :)

I decided to install Cyanogenmod 13 on my Moto G and it seems to have solved the adoptable storage issue I previously saw. At least I think it has. Does this screenshot look correct after I added a 16GB SD card to my 8GB Moto G? I would have thought the Internal Storage figure would have increased.

That's how mine looks - it allows me to move apps to the sd card but some then they don't work properly.

Moto G4 is, or was, in stock in Argos, just reserved one for €207.99 there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It's sad that the moto g is no longer the cheap and cheerful champion phone, I Think the nexus 5x that is in Argos would probably make more sense that the moto g at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Anyone manage to solve the storage problem yet? I have a top rated sd card to bring to 32 gb but can only store music and images. Must apps require it to be on the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Lekrub wrote: »
    Anyone manage to solve the storage problem yet? I have a top rated sd card to bring to 32 gb but can only store music and images. Must apps require it to be on the device.

Aren't you meant to factory reset the phone and dedicate the SD slot as internal ram before you can do all that? Maybe I'm wrong?

Aren't you meant to factory reset the phone and dedicate the SD slot as internal ram before you can do all that? Maybe I'm wrong?

I did, it didn't work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

Ive done that and down the whole cleared cached step into the menu at the start to correct it. Unreal phone for the money otherwise but 8gb does get full kinda fast

• Advertisement
Advertisement