Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

1686970717274»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Lekrub wrote: »
    Anyone manage to solve the storage problem yet? I have a top rated sd card to bring to 32 gb but can only store music and images. Must apps require it to be on the device.
    I assume you're not trying to put apps on a FAT32 partition!
    Tell us the steps you've taken so far, can we assume you've partitioned the sd card into FAT32 and EXT3/EXT4, and that your data can be saved on the FAT32 partition but that you have tried and cannot get the apps installed on the EXT3/EXT4 partition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

I assume you're not trying to put apps on a FAT32 partition!
    Tell us the steps you've taken so far, can we assume you've partitioned the sd card into FAT32 and EXT3/EXT4, and that your data can be saved on the FAT32 partition but that you have tried and cannot get the apps installed on the EXT3/EXT4 partition?

So I tried just a straight swap of memory cards and the same process on both. Which starts with the warning to format it and use as internal memory....Done that and no luck, Internal memory is still maxing out. It will say only 8/32 ussed or whatever but then will not work when I go to download more apps etc.

Some apps cannot be moved to sd card, and those who can don't work.

I also tried resetting the phone to factory and clearing cache to see would it fix it. I think its just a marshmallow update on this phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Lekrub wrote: »
    So I tried just a straight swap of memory cards and the same process on both. Which starts with the warning to format it and use as internal memory..

I wonder if the phone is correctly formatting the card... If you know someone that uses Linux they can format the card correctly (as can a custom recovery such as TWRP).

A possible alternative is to download link2sd from play store and see if that allows you to move apps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Lekrub

I wonder if the phone is correctly formatting the card... If you know someone that uses Linux they can format the card correctly (as can a custom recovery such as TWRP).

A possible alternative is to download link2sd from play store and see if that allows you to move apps!

Cheers for the response and suggestion. Gonna try link2sd and hopefully get some luck. If not might sell it and get the nexus 5 n argos at the moment. Although it will be a shame cos its a good phone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,652 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's sad that the moto g is no longer the cheap and cheerful champion phone, I Think the nexus 5x that is in Argos would probably make more sense that the moto g at this stage.

I see the Nexus 5x is down in price there too.
    Think I'll pick that up instead, given it's a better spec'd phone and has a fingerprint reader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I updated my phone about a month ago to Marshmallow. Since then the phone has been crappy.

I moved all my photos to SD, and when Marshmallow was installed I thought I'd just access my photos on the SD card, but that's not the case.

The phone recognised the SD card for a day or 2 but not since then, so I lost a lot of photos (for now).

Then I got a new 32GB SD card, the phone recognised it for a day or 2 again then it stopped recognising it.

So I'm using a phone that only has 8GB of internal storage, of which a good chunk of that is used with crappy preloaded stuff, and then rest is used on everyday stuff.

Photos I take now are being deleted after a while by the phone. It's lagging quite a lot. Slow to respond to my command etc...

I only have it 1.5 years and it cost me over 200euro so I can't justify throwing it out..

Any other way to fix this?

Maybe someone above has given a solution to this, but I haven't read too far back sorry.

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Nono Toure wrote: »
    I updated my phone about a month ago to Marshmallow. Since then the phone has been crappy.

I moved all my photos to SD, and when Marshmallow was installed I thought I'd just access my photos on the SD card, but that's not the case.

The phone recognised the SD card for a day or 2 but not since then, so I lost a lot of photos (for now).

Then I got a new 32GB SD card, the phone recognised it for a day or 2 again then it stopped recognising it.

So I'm using a phone that only has 8GB of internal storage, of which a good chunk of that is used with crappy preloaded stuff, and then rest is used on everyday stuff.

Photos I take now are being deleted after a while by the phone. It's lagging quite a lot. Slow to respond to my command etc...

I only have it 1.5 years and it cost me over 200euro so I can't justify throwing it out..

Maybe someone above has given a solution to this, but I haven't read too far back sorry.

TIA
    Backup your messages, whatsapp chats, photos and files and then do a factory reset. You should see a big improvement.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Backup your messages, whatsapp chats, photos and files and then do a factory reset. You should see a big improvement.

Thanks for that..

I'm not great on technical stuff. How do I do a backup?

If I do a factory reset will I get all my apps/photos back?

Once you sign into google play all your apps will download again.

As for backups whatsapp - Go to Settings > Chat History > Backup chat history. Tap Yes to back up chat history to google drive.

sms and call logs I use SMS Backup & Restore

I recommend uploading your backup to google drive also. That way you can just download it again on the new phone and restore it via the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

I had the exact same problem as you. Marshmallow killed my 2nd gen moto g.

I flashed cyanogenmod 13 to the phone, deleted all the Motorola apps and other bloatware and the phone is running like a dream.

Go to YouTube and search for "how to flash cyanogenmod 13 to moto g" and there are tonnes of tutorials

Took me about 15 minutes all in to unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP recovery and flash the image.

Give it a try, you will be blown away by how fast your phone will be.

Plus.... I'm not getting that "insufficient storage" warning anymore because I'm removed all the bloatware
    Nono Toure wrote: »

TIA

I had the exact same problem as you. Marshmallow killed my 2nd gen moto g.

I flashed cyanogenmod 13 to the phone, deleted all the Motorola apps and other bloatware and the phone is running like a dream.

Go to YouTube and search for "how to flash cyanogenmod 13 to moto g" and there are tonnes of tutorials

Took me about 15 minutes all in to unlock the bootloader, flash TWRP recovery and flash the image.

Give it a try, you will be blown away by how fast your phone will be.

Plus.... I'm not getting that "insufficient storage" warning anymore because I'm removed all the bloatware

I'll have a look, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

probably a very obvious answer to this, but i cant tell if the moto g 4th gen in argos is the 2015 or the 2016 model;

Moto G 4th Gen Argos

Anyone able to offer some help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    probably a very obvious answer to this, but i cant tell if the moto g 4th gen in argos is the 2015 or the 2016 model;

Moto G 4th Gen Argos

Anyone able to offer some help?

G4 (G 4th Gen) is the 2016 model

thanks!

Seems to be out of stock countrywide anyway :-(

thanks!

Seems to be out of stock countrywide anyway :-(

In stock on Amazon £159 (€192.30)
    Flubit gave me an offer of £144 (€174)

• Advertisement

That's the one I'm looking at (sitting in my basket, trying to decide to I buy it or the Nexus 5x)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

will56 wrote: »
    That's the one I'm looking at (sitting in my basket, trying to decide to I buy it or the Nexus 5x)

Nexus 5x is a much better phone.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Nexus 5x is a much better phone.

even without expandable storage ? 16gb doesn't seem to be long filling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

if you want expandable storage get the oneplus x instead, again a much better phone
    https://oneplus.net/ie/x

• Advertisement

Argos out of stock country wide of the Moto G & only 1 nexus left in the country. They must not hold much stock. not much incentive to buy in store over buying online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

will56 wrote: »
    even without expandable storage ? 16gb doesn't seem to be long filling

That's true. But in every other way Nexus 5x is better. It has the same camera as 6P, which is regarded to be one of the best currently.

808 is much faster than 615 in G4. 5x has more sensors, G4 doesn't even have a magnetometer. It's extremely overpriced.

And those overheating problems... Just search YouTube.

You can get a 32GB Nexus 5x on Amazon UK for about €270

That's much better than G4 at 200.

EDIT: I realised I'm hijacking this topic a bit, since this a dedicated topic Moto G so, I'm gonna stop with recommendations. If you want a Moto G4, by all means...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Any advice on this problem? Wife has moto g 3rd gen and she said it just wouldn't come on, I've powered it up and the m sign comes up along with the stitching and then it just goes blank.

I've tried holding power button and vol down and selected start but no joy.
    I really don't want to erase all her photos.
    What can I do.

Cheers.

So ive erased everything on it and now it wants my Google account and password which I don't know as I don't use gmail.

Is there a way to start this phone without using Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Phil.x wrote: »
    So ive erased everything on it and now it wants my Google account and password which I don't know as I don't use gmail.

Does it not accept any email?

When your on that screen press back and then there should be an option to sign in later or something along those lines.

Does it not accept any email?

No, I can't even get past the set up screen.

So i left it into a phone shop today and he said theres a 50/50 chance of getting it working as he's trying to remove Google from the start up, otherwise it's an expensive paperweight.

Not good for a 7 month old phone.

Note to self, NEVER GET AN GOOGLE DOMINANT PHONE........EVER!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭nc6000

Can you not just setup a Google account and enter the details to proceed? I'm pretty sure you can't do much on any Apple device without an Apple ID.

Have you been abroad since you put CM13 on it? I was up north earlier and couldn't get data roaming to work. I could make calls and data roaming was switched on so I'm not sure what was up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

So i left it into a phone shop today and he said theres a 50/50 chance of getting it working as he's trying to remove Google from the start up, otherwise it's an expensive paperweight.

Not good for a 7 month old phone.

Note to self, NEVER GET AN GOOGLE DOMINANT PHONE........EVER!!!

Could you not have flashed another OS on it?

Cyangenmod?

nc6000 wrote: »
    Can you not just setup a Google account and enter the details to proceed? I'm pretty sure you can't do much on any Apple device without an Apple ID.

Initially I did, but since then I forgot my password and username so when I erased and reset the phone it asked for this info so I just got user name resent and I changed password on my laptop.
    This didn't do anything as the phone wanted the original account set up with it, it's to stop the transfer of stolen phones I guess, but Jesus Christ what about the owner. Arggghh

Phil.x wrote:
    Initially I did, but since then I forgot my password and username so when I erased and reset the phone it asked for this info so I just got user name resent and I changed password on my laptop. This didn't do anything as the phone wanted the original account set up with it, it's to stop the transfer of stolen phones I guess, but Jesus Christ what about the owner. Arggghh

That doesn't sound right to me. In my experience once you do a factory reset then the phone should go back to the way it was when you first took it out of the box. All user data and settings etc should be gone which should also delete any reference to the original Google account used when you set the phone up first.

So the shop managed to restore it back to a clean slate all for €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Hoping someone here has encountered this problem or can advise if my phone is fooked!

I have the Moto G 2nd gen. Its used as a back up and never really gave a moments hassle. One day it simply fails to work at all. I tried all the usual steps and then a factory reset but to no avail.

The strange thing is the phone still switches on and displays the Motorola graphic as it loads and then literally a second before it should prompt me for my pin number the screen just goes black. its still on but with nothing on screen at all and its completely unresponsive.

Cant see anything online, all suggestions appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Trond wrote: »
    Hoping someone here has encountered this problem or can advise if my phone is fooked!

I have the Moto G 2nd gen. Its used as a back up and never really gave a moments hassle. One day it simply fails to work at all. I tried all the usual steps and then a factory reset but to no avail.

The strange thing is the phone still switches on and displays the Motorola graphic as it loads and then literally a second before it should prompt me for my pin number the screen just goes black. its still on but with nothing on screen at all and its completely unresponsive.

Cant see anything online, all suggestions appreciated!

Something like power off, then press and hold power on and volume up for 2 minutes.

Google it to be sure.

Not your ornery onager

Search for "moto g2 recovery mode" and the first result tells you what to do. I think you need to do another factory reset from recovery mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Cheers for the replies...

Ive tried all the options in the recovery menu and the same thing happens it just reboots and works until the point where the Motorola graphic disappears. But instead of the prompt for my pin i get a black unresponsive screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Blanchguy

Battery life on my two year old 2nd gen isn't great, anyone had any experience of/recommendations for having a battery replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

The battery life on my Moto G 2013 was getting poor, and lately it was getting hot and restarting a lot. Warning signs that I should have backed up sooner. The phone got stuck on the Motorola logo on start up.

I could get into recovery but a factory reset failed, it was still stuck. So I took the plunged and managed to install CyanogenMod 13 and rescue my phone (minus user data but I only lost call history and texts as other apps have user back up).

Wow! It's a new phone again and I have Android 6. So I've put off replacing my phone for now. Great way to put new life into an old phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hi guys

After 18 month the battery life on my G3 isn't great - has anyone got their replaced and how much did it cost?

Hi guys

After 18 month the battery life on my G3 isn't great - has anyone got their replaced and how much did it cost?

May not be the battery at fault. Have you tried a factory reset first? I would say it would cost a fair bit to get the battery replaced in these, it wouldn't be economical to do so.

Advertisement