Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a bit of advice.

• 13-11-2013 5:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody.

As some of you may be aware I am currently doing a PLC of Computer Science.

Honestly I totally blame myself for going into a course I totally dislike and have no ability of doing it correctly due to the amount of math's required in it etc....

Anyways now I am stuck badly. I hate this course and I know I will fail it. At the same time I have a very bad leaving cert with only 120 points. I was thinking of dropping outta this place and go and speak to my secondary school's principle and ask to see if I can repeat 6th year because I know I won't be able to study if I stay at home.

But I keep saying to myself what if I drop out of this place and fail my leaving cert as well?

I need some advice and counselling please.

Thank you all for your time and for reading this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 YolantaEva

It is certainly better to repeat LC than study smth you are not happy with. That will cost you more stress and money. There are lots of counselling sites and advisers but that can be pricey too. you might as well give yourself a year out. go abroad or just take it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roylistj

Have you looked at career guidance resources online. my son had a similar problem and didn't rate the teacher/resource at his old school. He found something on a site called mocks. He found it helpful. Free information

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

roylistj wrote: »
    Have you looked at career guidance resources online. my son had a similar problem and didn't rate the teacher/resource at his old school. He found something online

To be honest my career guidance from my secondary school was very good and up to date might book an appointment with her.

Thank you againl

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Counsellor

If you think you are up to the challenge of repeating the leaving it's definitely worth looking in to. The school year is only really 9 months long - if you do go back you might think about making that your biggest focus for those 9 months, sacrificing nights out to stay in and study. It will stand to you in the long run.

<snipped advert>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I agree, if you are not happy in the course then leave, nothing worse than being in a course you hate.

The LC is an option and there are several options for that by either going back to school as a repeat student or self studying and repeating the exams only at your old school. You will need to talk to the school about either option.

You also have the option of changing PLC course to something more to your liking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement